Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Ultimate Decision - PvE or PvP?

• 2130 posts
    December 21, 2016 2:54 PM PST

RpTheHotrod said:

PvE. Creates a healthier community. This means a game that lasts for the ages. PvP games tend to devolve into a lot of toxcity and hate unless you spend a lot of time balancing the game from the ground up in an open-PvP environment such as DAoC did. Open world PvP is a lot of fun, but it's entirely designed differently than a cooperative PvE game. Once you throw in PvP into the mix, it often taints PvE balance and ends up being a frustration. Either go PvE for a game, or open-world PvP. Trying to do both ends up causing more harm than good.

There's a difference between a PvP game and a PvP server.

PvP does not necessarily have to have any influence on PvE. That it has historically been an issue is a failure on the part of those developers. I have every confidence that VR can sufficiently separate the PvP ruleset from other servers such thatthe rulesets will not have any influence on eachother. If that is the case, then it is a failure of the developers, not a failure of the system itself.

This post was edited by Liav at December 21, 2016 2:55 PM PST
    • 16 posts
    December 21, 2016 3:38 PM PST

PVE for tab targeting mmo's and PVP for action mmo's(darkfall, mortal online, etc). I'm sure I'll try PvP in Pantheon, but chances are I'll probably just stick to PVE. I miss dungeon crawls that require thinking and strategy, not zergfests.

• 1618 posts
    December 21, 2016 4:47 PM PST

Liav said:

RpTheHotrod said:

PvE. Creates a healthier community. This means a game that lasts for the ages. PvP games tend to devolve into a lot of toxcity and hate unless you spend a lot of time balancing the game from the ground up in an open-PvP environment such as DAoC did. Open world PvP is a lot of fun, but it's entirely designed differently than a cooperative PvE game. Once you throw in PvP into the mix, it often taints PvE balance and ends up being a frustration. Either go PvE for a game, or open-world PvP. Trying to do both ends up causing more harm than good.

There's a difference between a PvP game and a PvP server.

PvP does not necessarily have to have any influence on PvE. That it has historically been an issue is a failure on the part of those developers. I have every confidence that VR can sufficiently separate the PvP ruleset from other servers such thatthe rulesets will not have any influence on eachother. If that is the case, then it is a failure of the developers, not a failure of the system itself.

I believe it was Brad who stated that their ability system will have two sets of effects, one for PvE and one for PvP. Doing this up front will enable them to tweak each set for the correct experience. PvP does not have to effect PvE.

But, I hope they do not have PvP specific gear. I hate trying to complete PvE content while others are wearing a PvP gear to slaughter me, since I am currently in PvE gear.

• 1434 posts
    December 21, 2016 5:02 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I believe it was Brad who stated that their ability system will have two sets of effects, one for PvE and one for PvP. Doing this up front will enable them to tweak each set for the correct experience. PvP does not have to effect PvE.

But, I hope they do not have PvP specific gear. I hate trying to complete PvE content while others are wearing a PvP gear to slaughter me, since I am currently in PvE gear.

PvP should just have very light modifier for damage. They shouldn't spend more time on it than that, and there definitely shouldn't be PvP specific gear like what we saw in games like WoW. Players progression should be achieved through content and winning content through PvP, never from PvP itself. That's been awful in every game it existed.

• 1618 posts
    December 24, 2016 3:08 PM PST

I think abilities around crowd control and taunts are always the hardest to balance between PvP and PvE. No one likes to be taken out if a fight for too long  or be forced to get wailed on while unable to do anything about it. But, those are important abilities in PvE. Damage is easy to balance.

• 521 posts
    December 25, 2016 1:45 AM PST

Do I prefer PVP? Well it depends on the game mostly, but typically im probably 60% pve’re and 40% pvper. Meaning I like to pvp when I’m in the mood, but not get ganked at the bank starring at a inventory screen, again.

To add to this:
    The only issue i have with PVP in MMO's is the effect is causes with constant re-balancing, that ultimately alters the PVE experience. Now I know that the PVP planned for pantehon is to be on seperate serves, but I fear that history will again repeat itself once playrs start ctying about X class being overpowered in PVP.

Now, to solve that you can either ignore the crys, or make changes to classes that only effect PVP servers, or perhaps have enterirly diffrent class on pvp servers to avoid any conflicts.

Just my 2 cents

• 106 posts
    December 27, 2016 1:19 AM PST

Hello everyone. I prefere PvE for Patheon.

• 36 posts
    December 27, 2016 6:12 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Pretty heavy PvE so far across all platforms, which I expected but I am reading some great answers and combos of both styles plus including RP which is great to see :)

Disclaimer: We have already stated that we will be PvE based and PvP servers will be separate and have no effect on PvE. :)

Thanks for this post, its clear and concise. PvE for me, all the way. PvP should not have influence on abilities or mechanics.

• 5 posts
    December 27, 2016 6:43 PM PST

PvE all the way for me. I'm not a twitchy kind of player so PvP is frustrating and not fun for me. An arena kind of place would be good for players that perfer PvE content but like occasional PvP.

PvP based server would be fine, but don't nerf abilities in PvE because of imbalances in PvP. Disable obvious OP abilities or reduce durations and adjust damage accordingly againts players only.

• 61 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:44 PM PST

I remember the first time I ever played EQ.  My baby druid stood around slack-jawed and staring at how amazing of a world the game designers created.  From then on I was hooked on discovering every nook and cranny, every hidden vista, every unique tree, every chisled statue, every pack of goblins, every lonely orc the creators of this world took the time to design and place just for me to see and conquer.  The beauty and wonder of the digital worlds amazed me and kept me looking forward to each new expansion so I could experience every bit of it.   Grouping with my friends to make it clear through an area or to the bottom of a cavern or from one end of the zone to the other was a highlight of my day each day I played.  

So it's PvE all the way for me.

PvP on the other hand just reminded me how annoying and petty people could be.  The first time I logged into a PvP server I found two high level nightelves standing just outside the newbie area who killed me before I could even get my bearings. The spent the next hour camping my corpse or waiting for me sneak peek outside of the newbie area so they could smack me down again.  It was a horrible experience and I haven't ever liked PvP since then.  Well.. except for one particular experience in DAoC when my faction was standing on one side of a hill and another faction was standing on another hill, staring us down. Then one of them would walk over in our direction and gesture at one of us.   Whoever was picked would go on down and a single  one on one battle would ensue with both sides cheering on their own faction.  Since we couldn't talk to other factions in game, communication was all done via gestures and emotes.  There was something a little fascinating about that experience.  

My nephews on the other hand... 12 and 15 years old... that's all they want to do.  Doesn't matter what game I play with them the first thing they say is, "battle me".   Doesn't seem to matter how many times I tell them I'm not into PvP, that's all they ask.  I was half surprised when we sat down for Christmas dinner the other day they didn't grab their turkey legs and demand I battle them.

I had to make a new rule for them while showing them WoW last year... if either one of them even so much as pretended to say "duel me", I would delete their accounts, take apart their computers, melt down the metals and make Christmas ornaments of it.

This post was edited by bluefoxcode at December 27, 2016 7:45 PM PST
    • 19 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:50 PM PST

Put me down for PvE.  I've seen so many games get it wrong with PvP.  One game that got it right was DAoC, back in the day.  But by and large, I'll take PvE.  Give me camraderie, not ganking!  :)

• 118 posts
    December 27, 2016 10:20 PM PST

I like PVP alot but only in controlled environments, open world PVP turns me off because some nights I am not in the mood to be on my toes or to get ganked and i want a nice peaceful stress free environment.

• 2 posts
    December 27, 2016 10:25 PM PST

I prefer PVE over PVP because I like to get immersed into the world and it is hard to do that when you got a guy spawn camping you. I do like controlled PVP environments though because if I ever do feel like PVPing I still have that option.

• 1434 posts
    December 28, 2016 12:47 AM PST

A lot of people would be pleasantly surprised with a PvP server in a highly cooperative game where reputation matters. That whole griefy atmosphere goes out the window when you desperately need other people to progress.

• 13 posts
    December 28, 2016 4:33 AM PST

I prefer a mixing PVP and PVE. But PVP only in the world. I not a fan from Battlegrounds or Arenas. 

So for my personal joy of playing would be a PvP Server.

• 10 posts
    December 28, 2016 5:17 AM PST

PVE...Not even close

• 21 posts
    December 28, 2016 6:15 AM PST

PVE ..    But i did like who you could Go PVP with the priest of Discord. down side is you could not change back.   BLACK DESSERT online has a problem with PVP you just farming a camp and a party wipes you can tkaes your camp not fun.

I will say when i played RIFT it was very fun fighting agains the dark side... It was a Raid agains other live people was very fun and team oriented

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 28, 2016 1:25 PM PST
    • 428 posts
    December 28, 2016 7:36 AM PST

Dullahan said:

A lot of people would be pleasantly surprised with a PvP server in a highly cooperative game where reputation matters. That whole griefy atmosphere goes out the window when you desperately need other people to progress.

This^^^^

As much as our guild ganked the oppesing factions in EQ2 we would also respond in a minute if we found someone camping lowbie zones with twink toons.  we wold also offer or pvp force to other raiders if they really wanted to pull a contested.  I have said it beofre but in games like EQ and EQ2 your pvpers were more often then not very tightknitted groups that had no problem helping randoms 

• 1618 posts
    December 28, 2016 1:01 PM PST

Shadow72 said:

I prefer PVE over PVP because I like to get immersed into the world and it is hard to do that when you got a guy spawn camping you. I do like controlled PVP environments though because if I ever do feel like PVPing I still have that option.

Exactly.

• 1618 posts
    December 28, 2016 1:03 PM PST

There are a lot of really cool looking PvP games coming out soon. But, I come here for its PVE focus. Otherwise, I might have well backed one of the many others on their way out.

Pantheon seems to be the only major Western PVE MMO in development right now. The rest seem to concentrate on PvP as the flavor of the year.

This post was edited by Beefcake at December 28, 2016 1:04 PM PST
    • 151 posts
    December 29, 2016 6:37 AM PST

I don't see why they would have to be exclusive from each other. A PvPer on a PvP server should have the option to PvE and likewise with PvPing on a PvE server, just because the server is labeled PvE shouldn't mean the eradication of PvP imo, just that PvP is something you choose to do when you want more than something that comes to you.

//Voices of Terminus' Youmu Svartie

• 318 posts
    December 29, 2016 7:00 AM PST

Youmu said:

I don't see why they would have to be exclusive from each other. A PvPer on a PvP server should have the option to PvE and likewise with PvPing on a PvE server, just because the server is labeled PvE shouldn't mean the eradication of PvP imo, just that PvP is something you choose to do when you want more than something that comes to you.

I hope they do give players on the PvE servers the option to PvP consentually, like with /duel or by traveling to an arena (like in EQ1).

However, for the players who want the option to PvP all of the time, that's when the PvP server comes in. Some people like having to worry about being attacked when they're not expecting it. It adds more depth to the overall game experience.

• 62 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:18 AM PST

Really depends on the mmo, but i would prefer this game to be PvE only. It's hard to balance classes and skills if PvP and PvE co-exist. Vanguard had PvP at first and totally did not work. One class could one shot all others but where on par in PvE.

ESO PvP is currently a mess and they keep nerfing or adding stupid stuff and one time PvE gets hit and other time PvP. 

My opinion, maybe arena's could exist. But open world PvP would not work.

• 1434 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:23 AM PST

knoote said:

Really depends on the mmo, but i would prefer this game to be PvE only. It's hard to balance classes and skills if PvP and PvE co-exist. Vanguard had PvP at first and totally did not work. One class could one shot all others but where on par in PvE.

ESO PvP is currently a mess and they keep nerfing or adding stupid stuff and one time PvE gets hit and other time PvP. 

My opinion, maybe arena's could exist. But open world PvP would not work.

Worked great in EQ.

• 1618 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:30 AM PST

Youmu said:

You can PvE on a PvP server. But, the point of a PvP server is to have you always open to attack. If people on a PvP server could just unflag themselves, what would be the point of the server?