Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Progeny System - What Say You?

This topic has been closed.
    • 2419 posts
    March 31, 2016 7:02 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If given the chance to let your max level character die and restart as your level 1 son or daughter, would you do it? :)

No, it would not be my first choice.  However, if you nerf my main class into uselessness or suddenly change its design?  I'd reconsider.  Call and end to power progression (final level cap, no more AAs)?  I'd definitely reconsider.  Then again, I always run multiple acccounts with complimentary classes to my main so switching classes is, although not painless, is not requiring me to start over at lvl 1.

So long as my main character can continue getting bigger, badder and stronger it will remain my main character.

• 128 posts
    March 31, 2016 7:29 PM PDT

In the long run, i would. But how soon id do that is depending on the benefits honestly. I don't personally like the idea tho. Id simply do it to "max" my toon. Would much rather just get a few extra AA points and not redo the leveling.

That being said, if leveling is fun enough i would care less.

• 174 posts
    March 31, 2016 7:36 PM PDT

no

• 106 posts
    March 31, 2016 7:46 PM PDT
    What about your bank and inventory? Would you loose all the items you acquired as well?
    • 211 posts
    March 31, 2016 9:03 PM PDT

I would not use the system. I'm not hard core enough to toss aside a character that will probably take me a longer time than others to develop. And the emotional attachment to them will be too much to abandon.

• 279 posts
    March 31, 2016 10:29 PM PDT

It's interesting for sure, and hope to hear more! I got the same concern about the hardcore players feeling the need to get to the 10th prestiege before they can even start to play the game. Do you get to keep all your items and money? How many times can you do it? I'd probably be into it.

BTW, is this the right place to ask how the Gnomes reproduce?

• 194 posts
    March 31, 2016 11:34 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If given the chance to let your max level character die and restart as your level 1 son or daughter, would you do it? :)

I echo the sentiment that there's not really enough information about the proposed system to make a decision at this point.  I played the same character in EQ for over 13 years, and part of what kept me going was the attachment to that specific toon.  I never played any alts to any significant degree (I think I got an enchanter to lvl 42 at one point, to enchant metal for my main's tradeskills).

My concern with the progeny system is that you lose the feeling of building something up over time.  I've tried to think about what could get me to use such a system and not have it seem like a net negative to me.  Obviously if the bonus for retiring a character is significant (even mildly so) I would feel compelled to do so if I thought it was the only way to advance in the game.  But I think it's still important to have a common thread through each generation, so that you're continuing to build upon something.

I suppose the lore of the game already has us as sort of ressurected souls of some kind.  If the progeny system was implemented in such a way that you were more or less reincarnating in some fashion and enough emphasis was put on how you were developing this reincarnating soul through each iteration, then maybe it would be something I could get on board with.  The point is that I wouldn't want to feel like I threw out a toon and just started over--it would have to feel like a developmental process of some kind.

• 238 posts
    April 1, 2016 1:19 AM PDT
    I will echo the others that its odd to put so much time in a character to simply sacrifice him and start over, Regardless of the reward.

I like the word reincarnation because it implies that you are the same person just reborn. But even then I have a hard time giving up high end advancement to start back over. Are people ready to start over when there is still progression to be had at max level. What if the week after you go back to level one a new high level zones released? I think allot of people are not ready to take that risk when leveling could be multiple months.
    • 366 posts
    April 1, 2016 2:17 AM PDT

yes (I was looking forward to learning more about this system)    but......

I would like to know what exactly the benefits and risks are before I make a huge decision like that.  I am all for mystery in my MMO  but investing in a character takes lots of time, so in this case I would like to know what exactly would be kept and what would be rerolled. Also  does that mean having to play a differnt class to gain the benefits?  Say my love is a cleric and that is my first class. To gain the benefit would I have to roll a different class, and then I am stuck with that class when I really wanted to play cleric all along. So then I would have to roll a cleric last just to be a cleric again?

This post was edited by Zarriya at April 1, 2016 2:26 AM PDT
    • 409 posts
    April 1, 2016 3:42 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Progeny is the 3rd point from the bottom: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/pantheon_difference/

Will the reset be class specific? as in... You're a lvl 50 wizard, you reset; you are now a lvl 1 Wizard or is it:     -    You're a lvl 50 wizard, you reset; now you can be anything.

If it's a class specific reset then, yes I'll do it when I feel "the time is right".
    But if it's not then I will probably dislike the progeny system (depending on what abilities get transferred - hate jack of all trade specs) and won't reset my character. Even if there is an allure of improved stats. If VR started mixing combat abilities; I probably wouldn't play Pantheon tbh Kilsin. Just sayin' :)

This post was edited by Nimryl at April 1, 2016 3:55 AM PDT
    • 105 posts
    April 1, 2016 4:28 AM PDT
    I wouldn't do it, unless alts were unavailable, then maybe. If the Progeny system was instead something like "Shining Force's" subclass level reset then I would do it, but in that case it's part of the progression of the character, in this case I'm losing my max character just to replay some old zones.
    • 63 posts
    April 1, 2016 8:46 AM PDT

Short answer: Yes, I'd consider it. But if I ever do it, I feel like I'd get the timing all wrong.

My concern would be that I'd retire a max level character right before the release of new top-end content. Say the level cap gets extended from 50 to 60 and badass new spells are introduced for the class I just retired. Even worse, my friends and guildies are all exploring new high-level areas and I'm back killing rats somewhere. I doubt any progeny perks could overcome that feeling of epic fail.

I'd consider it because I feel like this community and the developers are extremely open about the progression of the game. If we had insight that a new expansion was several months out and I was chilling at the cap...

Talv

• 1714 posts
    April 1, 2016 10:38 AM PDT

Talvaris said:

Short answer: Yes, I'd consider it. But if I ever do it, I feel like I'd get the timing all wrong.

My concern would be that I'd retire a max level character right before the release of new top-end content. Say the level cap gets extended from 50 to 60 and badass new spells are introduced for the class I just retired. Even worse, my friends and guildies are all exploring new high-level areas and I'm back killing rats somewhere. I doubt any progeny perks could overcome that feeling of epic fail.

I'd consider it because I feel like this community and the developers are extremely open about the progression of the game. If we had insight that a new expansion was several months out and I was chilling at the cap...

Talv

This is pretty much what I was getting at. I won't be playing 10-12 hours a day like I did with EQ. That limits the window of opportunity I'll have to take advantage of the progeny "buff" without missing out. 

• 106 posts
    April 1, 2016 12:28 PM PDT
    I'd be more interested in getting to max level and having a "child" and passing some skills down to an alt. While still having my main.
    • 238 posts
    April 1, 2016 1:42 PM PDT
    I wounder what people would think if the system was toggled between the original and your son/daughter. You were the same soul just rebourn so you would be simply the same person just young again. You could do a magical dance an switch between your high and low self. When you catch back up to your original level you just fuse them together.

With this system you eliminate almost every downside people have listed. Raid on your higher character and then swap on your off hours and play your lower self. You would have to reincarnate with the same name, race, class but I think most would like it that way.

To avoid some probelms you could say like you can only magically swap every few hours.

What you guys think?
    • 3016 posts
    April 1, 2016 2:28 PM PDT

Personally I tend to hang onto my main for literally years.   My main character in EQ,  has never been sold..or deleted,  it is as old as Everquest itself.    When I think progeny,  I think family, offspring.   If there were some way to have a "baby Canadina" for instance...(different name of course, but with a family surname)  I would think that would be cool.  I make a lot of alts...over time, either because I use them for harvesting, crafting purposes,  or I want to try out a new area,   like in Vanguard, with the multiple starting areas.   Don't know if this is helpful or not..just my opinion.

• 74 posts
    April 1, 2016 4:15 PM PDT

Xonth said: I wounder what people would think if the system was toggled between the original and your son/daughter. You were the same soul just rebourn so you would be simply the same person just young again. You could do a magical dance an switch between your high and low self. When you catch back up to your original level you just fuse them together. With this system you eliminate almost every downside people have listed. Raid on your higher character and then swap on your off hours and play your lower self. You would have to reincarnate with the same name, race, class but I think most would like it that way. To avoid some probelms you could say like you can only magically swap every few hours. What you guys think?

Maybe a better back story/reason but...my no has become a YES

Maybe also a system that has a cap at 1 progeny system run through per class.  Once leveled, the character can fused with the original with the class specific bonus added. This would bring back the problem of balancing around progenied toons and guilds selecting them for raids. This should be mitigated such that the bonuses aren't overpowered and the number of classes determines the hard cap.

This post was edited by Land at April 1, 2016 8:20 PM PDT
    • 999 posts
    April 1, 2016 4:40 PM PDT
    @Xonth

It pretty much seems like a different twist on mentoring at that point, which I'm not a huge fan of either. If your idea was fleshed out a bit more, it might change my mind.
    • 578 posts
    April 1, 2016 10:23 PM PDT

Rachael said:

I love the idea, though my biggest concern about it is names. If my character's child, after my main character dies/retires, can have the same name (maybe like a “the 2nd”, “the 3rd” etc.)

Titles are HUGE in MMOs and I think this would be a great opportunity for the team to explore. Every time a player progenizes, their new character receives the title 'the 2nd' or 'the 3rd' or so on and so forth. It would be a clear cut way for players to recognize another player who is a progeny.

• 578 posts
    April 1, 2016 11:20 PM PDT

I don't know exactly how this progeny system will work but it has the potential to permit a player to really fine tune his role/class as well as create a more well-rounded class who can do a little of this and little of that. I don't see them allowing a player to inherit a buttload of skills so I don't think there should be any fear of that jack-of-all-trades character or of the warrior who becomes this tanking crowd controlling healer or even that the world will be filled with many players who can perform multiple roles.

I do see it giving players the chance to really focus in on their role though. For example, a monk whose role tends to be a puller. A player could fine tune their monk to give them even more skills in their pulling arsonal. Maybe they could progenize a druid or a bard to inherit faster run speed so they can give them more separation from the mob. Or they could use a rogue to inherit sneaking abilities. Or inerit tracking from a ranger.

Or vice versa, rangers tend to posses many pulling abilities (I'm not fully aware of ranger's abilities since I've never played one) but tend to lack feign death or maybe even a lull. But they tend to have ranged abilities, run speed, tracking skills, etc. Have a ranger inherit FD from a monk or lull from a cleric and they become a fairly great puller.

• 383 posts
    April 1, 2016 11:53 PM PDT

If a system like this were to be implemented I would like to see it take a lot longer to max level. Maybe two or three times the amount of time. :)

Though Raidan brings up good points about it being OP and running through content a lot faster. Then once expansions come out they will be far superior than other classes and it will just compound and reduce the amount of time to run through that content as well.

• 85 posts
    April 2, 2016 3:12 AM PDT

Here is my take on how I'd like to see the progeny system implemented.

Upon reaching maximum level, you can create a progeny of any class, while retaining complete control of your parent character. This will allow players to continue experiencing high level content while having a side objective of 'raising their progeny'.

Two main approaches for a newly spawned progeny: a) Progeny are boosted alts that start off at a higher level or b) Progeny are given permanent buffs that make them slightly stronger than non-progeny characters at max level. Of course, there could be a mixture from both A and B categories.

Once this progeny has reached max level, you would be presented with the option to once again spawn a new progeny under your new max leveled ‘parent character’. However, in doing so will retire your ‘grandparent’ character from the world. Perhaps still retaining access with limited abilities.

Side thought: Parent characters can continue to pass down XP to their progeny as they defeat raid bosses, complete difficult dungeons, and special quests.

This post was edited by Endalmir at April 2, 2016 3:13 AM PDT
    • 308 posts
    April 2, 2016 4:40 AM PDT

seeing all the others' take on progeny system i have a suggestion. why not use progeny as alts? let us keep the main character and when you hit max level you can create an alt. so you would start off with say 2 character slots, then once you hit max level on one you can create a 3rd character, after any of the remaining 2 hit max level then you can create another alt.

these alts would start off with the parent's faction, combat skill levels (1 hand blunt, dagger, defense, dodge, etc.), and get to learn one of the parent's basic class skills or spells (lockpick or sneak from the rogue, taunt from the warrior, stun from the paladin, dual wield, you know the kind of stuff you get at level 1-10 and is just a basic defining characteristic of the class) these skills would only be the basic form and not the more advanced versions (for the ones that have advanced versions).

this would help to keep people from having 8-10 alts and permacamping zones or mobs with good drops in order to gear em.

also under this system i would definately use it.

• 194 posts
    April 2, 2016 10:36 AM PDT

Here are some of the details of the type of system I was envisioning that I could get on board with (I apologize if this ends up being long).

Like I said before, I'd want a 'common thread' of some sort, so that I'd always feel like I was building on to something. If it was a reincarnation system of some sort, I'd want to be able to name the 'soul' at the start of the game, and I'd want a tab on the character sheet that shows how the soul is developing over time. If it's a 'family-line' deal, then I'd want to see a lineage tab that showed the entire line and again, showed how the lineage was developing over time. By developing, I mean certain things should be 'soul/family bound' like certain keys/flags, achievements or perks (ie mastery of certain skills/tradeskills) that the current character has made that can be passed down to progeny.

I'd want balance at max-level. I don't think that people who choose not to take part in the progeny system should be punished by being slightly weaker than those who do. I think one way this could be achieved would be by allowing a toon at max level to activate the same perks their progeny would recieve. Here's an example of how I think this could work, providing a benefit to those who take advantage of the progeny system, but not leaving them more powerful than those who do not in the end:

example perks:

- 'warriors fortitute' a warrior who achieves max skill in 'defense' unlocks this perk which grants a constant 2% mitigation to all incoming physical damage.

- 'direlord's vengence' a direlord who achieves max skill in 'defense' unlocks this perk which grants a 5% lifetap to all damage he/she inflicts.

Now, let's say upon creating a progeny character you are allowed to select one perk that remains with your new character as a permanent enhancement. If someone rolled a warrior, leveled them to max and then chose to create a progeny warrior, they would then have access to this warrior's fortitude' perk making the new warrior slightly better than the original. Alternatively, they could opt to roll a direlord, but they would still have the perk from the warrior line available to them, making them a slightly more powerful direlord than a first-generation one.

Now, for the sake of not overpowering the progeny toons, I think a max level character should be able to activate a perk they've unlocked. So when a warrior hits 50 and maxes defense, they should be able to take advantage of the 'warrior's fortitute' perk. But the person who rolled the direlord at level 50 would now have two perks to choose from.

This would create a scenario where the person who opted not to take part in the progeny system wouldn't be left underpowered, they would only have fewer options available to them for customization than those who did and chose to level up a different classes.

I think a system like this would both encourage people to take part in the progeny system, yet not leave those who chose not to feeling like they'd sold themselves short.

This post was edited by Elrandir at April 2, 2016 10:37 AM PDT
    • 74 posts
    April 2, 2016 11:21 AM PDT

Sounds like a system in which a pool of bonuses can be selected from at max level - get a character to max level, unlock an attribute of that class in the pool. All current max level characters can then select from the unlocked pool regardless of class.

Since character slots would be limiting, I assume, there might need to be attributes by archetype instead of class.