Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Little Things

• 2138 posts
    November 23, 2017 1:01 PM PST

From the recent twitch, I would like ot see that drainage ditch in the center of the walkway to throne fast, in use. Like whenit rains to see a moving stream of rainwater flowing in that center ditch, or- if the huge doors are opened and the lions run amok- draining blood...

• 3016 posts
    November 24, 2017 11:22 AM PST

Unsquishable said:

~Not sure if it's been addressed, but no artificial barrier to crossing things or climbing mountains / etc.  I always hate when I hit some arbitrary line that I cannot cross or climb when it's so obvious that the PC should be able to realistically.  The new Zelda was a really refreshing take on that mechanic.  You could essentially scale anything (it doesn't have to be that extreme), but were limited by stamina so the height ultimately was a limiting factor.  I would climb stuff instead of run around even if it was quicker sometimes, because climbing offered new vantage points, etc.

~Visable Fish / organic underwater life.

~Temporal events such as church bells chiming the hour, a trumpet melody to announce the arrival of a dignitary or soliders returning to town, or going out on a war party.  They don't have to be time intensive but it adds a lot to my immersion when it feels like the world is living breathing and otherwise going on around me / without me.

~I'd say with kids, you could just make it when any threat occurs they all immediately run to their house, or the designated "safe house" for the town, which could immediately "hide" them from danger and not necessarily make them have to take part in any of the violent parts of the game.

~I'd really like for your own spells to look more detailed and intricate than what others look to you, even if they would be known to you.  It cuts down on raid / screen clutter in groups and makes getting spells for yourself all that more meaningful.  This probably would be a contentious point for people though.

~While probably not small, reactive abilities for combat, and visually intriguing melee.  Melee is such an amazingly complicated and beautiful thing to read about in books and to watch in movies, but often time in games it's a rinse and repeat visually of 3-4 actions for the entire game.  I realize this is developer intensive, but I would love for a melee to have the same joy watching themselves move around and engage in combat as a caster does with their visually appealing casts.

~I really like weapon sheathing / realistic handling, options for holding main hand differently.

~Ability to train underwater breathing to increase the overall time you can spend underwater without spell / item, and I also really liked training swimming, as much of a pain as it was going back to a new character and feeling like I was made of lead when I started to swim again.

~Dangerous terrain.  Having to walk on a very narrow ledge / jump across divides to cross adds another element of skill, intrigue and difficulty that I don't always feel gets included in MMOs to any great degree.  Makes me partly think about the number of lives Kelethin claimed to fall death.  That'd be a hilarious stat if it could be pulled.

In other words.."finding the end of the world",   being an explorer I always ended up knowing where the end of the world (places you can't cross due to invisible barrier) was in most games,   Rift had underwater barriers..you weren't allowed to explore too far out in the ocean,  or the fatigued bar would pop up,  and if you didn't back up soon enough ..could kill you.     Kind of spoils the exploration deal.. I love exploring every nook and cranny...don't want artificial barriers that make you take the long way around something,  instead of being able to climb that mountain in front of you.     But as this is a game that Brad McQuaid is making...just the same as Vanguard  "if you can see it, you can go there."  :)

Cana

• 7 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:28 AM PST

Awesome thread...all great ideas and cool features.  It definitely is the little things that all add up to an immersive, polished, and fluid experience.  I think that's what we're all hoping for.  Tall order, obviously, but I think we're all in agreement that it'd be worth the additional wait for launch rather than release before this level of completion is achieved.  Supporters will lose interest eventually, however, so that balance has to be struck between making it as perfect as it needs to be, and releasing in the somewhat foreseeable future.  

• 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:37 AM PST

Manouk said:

From the recent twitch, I would like ot see that drainage ditch in the center of the walkway to throne fast, in use. Like whenit rains to see a moving stream of rainwater flowing in that center ditch, or- if the huge doors are opened and the lions run amok- draining blood...

I wondered about that myself.  I wasn't sure if it was for actual drainage or if it was just where massive stone tiles fit together.  It would be awesome if it was for either drainage or a part of the city defenses where they could run flammable liquid through it and set it on fire.

• 65 posts
    December 2, 2017 10:47 AM PST

muscoby said:

Nephele said:

- Every drop should have a purpose other than selling.  I get sick of games where 75% of the things that drop from enemies I kill are "trash" that's just going to get sold to an NPC vendor for a few silvers or whatever.  So whether it's making bat wings into crunchies, or handing over orc belts as proof of the kills, or whatever - no "trash" drops, please.  Give them all uses beyond just selling them.  Or, if something *is* there just to sell, make it something that would actually be valuable, like a gemstone or a pouch of coins.  I mean, what do merchants in other games actually DO with all those bones and teeth and various body parts anyway?  Or... do we even want to know?

I, too, share this opinion. Make every drop be useful for some aspect at some time - maybe even class specific and not simply for selling for cash. Components directly or that can be stripped down for crafting would probably allow for the widest variety of dropped items that would normally be junk but would mean something to someone taking up the craft. I always liked the idea of wings as required for levitate and bones as required for summoning necro pets. Keep those types of things in there as well. Poisons in EQ had a ton of components. These could be part of the recipe book in categorizing drops (doesn't even have to be broadcast). Things like "fungus", "herbs", "spices", "salts", "sweets", etc. They would also have a crossover with baking, for example. Different reagents produce different results but reagents could still have multiple uses to explain their plentiful presence or even their rare presence.

It could very well be that they never get used and people just sell them regardless. But hopefully doesn't fall into the realm of "we just wasted a lot of developers time for something never used."

Disagree, needs to have cash drops , or how else do you buy your spells?

• 1618 posts
    December 2, 2017 2:01 PM PST

Demostorm said:

muscoby said:

Nephele said:

- Every drop should have a purpose other than selling.  I get sick of games where 75% of the things that drop from enemies I kill are "trash" that's just going to get sold to an NPC vendor for a few silvers or whatever.  So whether it's making bat wings into crunchies, or handing over orc belts as proof of the kills, or whatever - no "trash" drops, please.  Give them all uses beyond just selling them.  Or, if something *is* there just to sell, make it something that would actually be valuable, like a gemstone or a pouch of coins.  I mean, what do merchants in other games actually DO with all those bones and teeth and various body parts anyway?  Or... do we even want to know?

I, too, share this opinion. Make every drop be useful for some aspect at some time - maybe even class specific and not simply for selling for cash. Components directly or that can be stripped down for crafting would probably allow for the widest variety of dropped items that would normally be junk but would mean something to someone taking up the craft. I always liked the idea of wings as required for levitate and bones as required for summoning necro pets. Keep those types of things in there as well. Poisons in EQ had a ton of components. These could be part of the recipe book in categorizing drops (doesn't even have to be broadcast). Things like "fungus", "herbs", "spices", "salts", "sweets", etc. They would also have a crossover with baking, for example. Different reagents produce different results but reagents could still have multiple uses to explain their plentiful presence or even their rare presence.

It could very well be that they never get used and people just sell them regardless. But hopefully doesn't fall into the realm of "we just wasted a lot of developers time for something never used."

Disagree, needs to have cash drops , or how else do you buy your spells?

Items may not be useful to you, but they are probably useful to someone else. If you don't want to sell your items to a vendor, find someone to sell them to. But, in the you need to have plenty of loot that you do not need, otherwise, you cannot afford to buy upgrades from other people.