Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Little Things

• 60 posts
    November 7, 2017 5:10 AM PST
    Please, no children. The problem with children involved in anything is that everything becomes dumbed down to a child's level. Because of asinine laws, you can not kill an NPC that looks like a child in some countries. Look at what Wesley did to Star Trek. Please no kids.
    • 173 posts
    November 7, 2017 8:34 AM PST

Awesome thread.  Totally agree the little things really make a big difference.  I was in a game recently (I think it was FFXIV where I noticed that the sound of my running changed as my enviornment did.  Walking on the dirt was distictly different than walking in the snow or the echo of walking through a cave.  Fading footprints are there too, and that really gave a "live" feel to things.

• 1785 posts
    November 7, 2017 9:09 AM PST

Another little thing for the morning :)

- Every drop should have a purpose other than selling.  I get sick of games where 75% of the things that drop from enemies I kill are "trash" that's just going to get sold to an NPC vendor for a few silvers or whatever.  So whether it's making bat wings into crunchies, or handing over orc belts as proof of the kills, or whatever - no "trash" drops, please.  Give them all uses beyond just selling them.  Or, if something *is* there just to sell, make it something that would actually be valuable, like a gemstone or a pouch of coins.  I mean, what do merchants in other games actually DO with all those bones and teeth and various body parts anyway?  Or... do we even want to know?

• 793 posts
    November 7, 2017 9:16 AM PST

Nephele said:

Another little thing for the morning :)

- Every drop should have a purpose other than selling.  I get sick of games where 75% of the things that drop from enemies I kill are "trash" that's just going to get sold to an NPC vendor for a few silvers or whatever.  So whether it's making bat wings into crunchies, or handing over orc belts as proof of the kills, or whatever - no "trash" drops, please.  Give them all uses beyond just selling them.  Or, if something *is* there just to sell, make it something that would actually be valuable, like a gemstone or a pouch of coins.  I mean, what do merchants in other games actually DO with all those bones and teeth and various body parts anyway?  Or... do we even want to know?

I agree with this. If the theory behind the merchant buying the rusty short sword for 5cp from me is he melts it down and uses the resources, then a crafter should be able to do the same thing if they chose.

• 178 posts
    November 7, 2017 9:24 AM PST

I Want to be able to invite players  to group or to friend list with right click on his name from the chat.

i want to be able to whisper to, or block any player from right click on his name from chat.

i dont want ever EVER to type in character names. 

* I also want day /night cycle with different mobs and mob difficulties, and different NPCs in the city, but that is not so little thing...

• 126 posts
    November 7, 2017 9:32 AM PST

MyNegation said:

I Want to be able to invite players  to group or to friend list with right click on his name from the chat.

i want to be able to whisper to, or block any player from right click on his name from chat.

i dont want ever EVER to type in character names. 

* I also want day /night cycle with different mobs and mob difficulties, and different NPCs in the city, but that is not so little thing...

Totally agree. Makes life in game a little easier.

Also, no stupid characters in names. Hÿöte (random name) would be annoying trying to message or invite to anything. Those are the characters I generally ignore.

• 1584 posts
    November 7, 2017 10:00 AM PST

its not really a little thing, but i want it to where while leveling up from level 5 that there is a sense of a certain rotation start to happen, like i dont want to be level 10 and still basically using 2 spells or abilties try to kill everything, i want to be active and reactive from the beginning, and start using at least 5 move by level 10 so i can be somewhat engaged into every combat interaction i come up with.

• 753 posts
    November 7, 2017 10:20 AM PST

Pyye said:

Little but important thing...

I want to see a smart chat system where you can click on names and send whispers or other commands from the chat windows. An advanced system can really improve the social aspect.

There is actually a cool little mod in WoW called whisperpop.  If you get a /whisper from anyone, you get a little flashing notification (the whisperpop icon).  if you click on it and open it, you have a full history of your chat log with anyone you have had a conversation with (until you delete that chat log).  It spans your play sessions.  In addition, if I recall correctly, if you click on the chat log of the person you want to respond to, you can generate the /reply mechanism you have mentioned.

I liked it when I was playing because it made it vastly easier to make sure I didn't miss a whisper without adding my own extra whisper chat window... and because I could also see what we talked about last week, last month, etc... if I really wanted to.

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 7, 2017 10:24 AM PST
    • 1785 posts
    November 8, 2017 7:37 AM PST

- Domesticated (NPC) animals.  Dogs and cats in town, horses and cows in field in so on.  And more than just standing there.  Something that jumped out at me in GW2 was when I ran across a cat in town that was... well... doing cat things.  Like stretching out in a sunbeam, grooming itself, jumping up on high stuff, and so on.  It was just a set of silly animations on a long loop but it made that cat seem a LOT more real than one that would have just been standing there.

• 2138 posts
    November 8, 2017 8:02 AM PST

Nephele said:

[...]

- Animated social actions.  Being able to /wave and watch your character actually wave at someone.

- A clock somewhere in the game's UI that can be toggled to show "game time" or "real time".  Because sometimes we really DO need to try to get to bed at a decent hour :)

... like I said, this is just a list to start the thread off.  I really hope others will add more to it.  I'll probably add more to my list periodically if others don't beat me to things that I think of.  If nothing else I hope it gives us all something new to think about while we wait for testing to begin :)

I agree with this, alot of /emotes and character animations with those emotes would be awesome- simple littie stuff.

I also like the idea if all clocktowers showed my current time, or could toggle game time and real time if quests needed a day or night event. Maybe that could be something coded when choosing your timezone at log in?- great idea,

Below is my imaginings on emotes, may be a bit Tl:dr

Since languages will be "that, with which, we have to deal" regardless if your friend is a skar and you are a gnome, you wont be able to communicate "verbally"(textually) untill you learn the language- A full scale of /emotes will allow at least some communication through sign language. i.e.

/point (point at self),                                                                             "me"

/point (point at player who's language you dont understand),              "and you"

/kill (draw finger accross neck)                                                            "kill"

/point (at monster over there)                                                              "that orc"

/curious (you look at them curiously)                                                   "?" 

Send group invite and fight through silent observation and situational awareness- chatting only helps pick up some bits of language in game.

A shout from a  group member, in red and outloud and unintelligible is enough of a warning to know something is wrong and eyes wide open! 

May also allow interaction on international servers where the players truly do not know the language.

Set lanuage option on log in and all emotes would be translated as such in that lnaguage- as best they can be ho-ho. If I had money, I would throw it at that.

• 178 posts
    November 8, 2017 8:38 AM PST

Nephele said:

I, too, share this opinion. Make every drop be useful for some aspect at some time - maybe even class specific and not simply for selling for cash. Components directly or that can be stripped down for crafting would probably allow for the widest variety of dropped items that would normally be junk but would mean something to someone taking up the craft. I always liked the idea of wings as required for levitate and bones as required for summoning necro pets. Keep those types of things in there as well. Poisons in EQ had a ton of components. These could be part of the recipe book in categorizing drops (doesn't even have to be broadcast). Things like "fungus", "herbs", "spices", "salts", "sweets", etc. They would also have a crossover with baking, for example. Different reagents produce different results but reagents could still have multiple uses to explain their plentiful presence or even their rare presence.

It could very well be that they never get used and people just sell them regardless. But hopefully doesn't fall into the realm of "we just wasted a lot of developers time for something never used."

• 1584 posts
    November 8, 2017 8:53 AM PST

muscoby said:

Nephele said:

I, too, share this opinion. Make every drop be useful for some aspect at some time - maybe even class specific and not simply for selling for cash. Components directly or that can be stripped down for crafting would probably allow for the widest variety of dropped items that would normally be junk but would mean something to someone taking up the craft. I always liked the idea of wings as required for levitate and bones as required for summoning necro pets. Keep those types of things in there as well. Poisons in EQ had a ton of components. These could be part of the recipe book in categorizing drops (doesn't even have to be broadcast). Things like "fungus", "herbs", "spices", "salts", "sweets", etc. They would also have a crossover with baking, for example. Different reagents produce different results but reagents could still have multiple uses to explain their plentiful presence or even their rare presence.

It could very well be that they never get used and people just sell them regardless. But hopefully doesn't fall into the realm of "we just wasted a lot of developers time for something never used."

I'm fine with most drops being good for something, but i still feel like some drops can just be for cash purposes, i don't want to see 50 things in my inventory i dont want to get rid of just becuase they are all for a tradeskill i am wanting to do if it can be helped, or multiple tradeskills depending on how they manage that whoel scenario.  But either way if i can somewhat keep my bags somewhat empty i would be a little more happy than nothing having inventory space simply becuae of them all being used up due to tradeskills items.  

Not only that but if every item had a purpose in the gane than more than likely that would make a lot fo items not have any value depending on what it is that you are making, so a huge supply of multiple items makes it to where the demand of items will have a hard time catching up.

This post was edited by Cealtric at November 8, 2017 8:57 AM PST
    • 118 posts
    November 8, 2017 9:14 AM PST
    Dynamic weather.

I want certain regions of the world to have different weather patterns. I would love to see fronts moving in and out, storms and bad weather that last a week. Extended droughts, torrential downpour. Scorching heat, blizzards, seasonal snow and weather changes. Seasons would be soooooooo kill. Make fire spells do less damage in the rain but up the chill time on ice attacks. Lighting attacks +50% during a storm. When it's hot out? Burn those mobs down! Cause freezing them in place in much less effective.

I would like the ability to quick swap all my gear from my adventuring set to my 'strolling down the street looking for ladies set'

A large range of funny and well animated emotes to kill time.

• 2752 posts
    November 8, 2017 10:09 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

I'm fine with most drops being good for something, but i still feel like some drops can just be for cash purposes, i don't want to see 50 things in my inventory i dont want to get rid of just becuase they are all for a tradeskill i am wanting to do if it can be helped, or multiple tradeskills depending on how they manage that whoel scenario.  But either way if i can somewhat keep my bags somewhat empty i would be a little more happy than nothing having inventory space simply becuae of them all being used up due to tradeskills items.  

Not only that but if every item had a purpose in the gane than more than likely that would make a lot fo items not have any value depending on what it is that you are making, so a huge supply of multiple items makes it to where the demand of items will have a hard time catching up.

It wasn't really an issue in EQ and the vast majority of drops in that game could be used for non-vending purposes. Everything from spider legs, silks, fire beetle eyes, to animal pelts of various quality, chunks of meat, lightstones, torn pages, runes, bone chips, gems, scarab egg sacks, bat wings, poison sacks, cyclops toes, and beyond. Almost everything had a tradskill, ability, or quest associated with it and/or was otherwise an equipable item someone might use.

• 1785 posts
    November 9, 2017 9:06 AM PST

Here's a sort of little thing for today.

In most games that use zones, the world builders put in extra "connection points" for hooking up additional zones later.  Things like cave entrance you can't enter, and so on.

It really irks me when I run across one of those and there's no physical reason my character couldn't enter it - in the cave entrance for example if it's just sitting there, and i can see it, and run right up to it.... that's wrong.  It needs to be blocked with a rockslide or something - something that tells my brain "you can't enter here right now".

This is true for any/all connection points.  One of the things I *loved* about Vanguard was the idea that "if you can see it, you can go there".  I think it's possible to do that within a zoned game too.

That being said, EQ-style zone walls were a little silly at times.  Make them more visually interesting than just a rock face.  Chasms, rivers, tangled undergrowth, etc.

• 668 posts
    November 9, 2017 10:37 AM PST

Wandidar said:

Pyye said:

I want to see a smart chat system where you can click on names and send whispers or other commands from the chat windows. An advanced system can really improve the social aspect.

There is actually a cool little mod in WoW called whisperpop.  If you get a /whisper from anyone, you get a little flashing notification (the whisperpop icon).  if you click on it and open it, you have a full history of your chat log with anyone you have had a conversation with (until you delete that chat log).  It spans your play sessions.  In addition, if I recall correctly, if you click on the chat log of the person you want to respond to, you can generate the /reply mechanism you have mentioned.

I liked it when I was playing because it made it vastly easier to make sure I didn't miss a whisper without adding my own extra whisper chat window... and because I could also see what we talked about last week, last month, etc... if I really wanted to.

This is what I mean when I say I hope they put in an advanced chat / communication system.  No need for add-ons because a unique system should already be in the game.

• 1785 posts
    November 9, 2017 4:33 PM PST

On the topic of chat systems - this feels silly to say, but I *really* hope that we're able to customize the text color of ALL channels.  If I want guild chat to be yellow instead of blue (as an example), I should be able to do that.  This is also super important for people with different variations of color blindness.  I'm not one of them, but I've known folks who are, and they need to be able to manipulate colors so that they can distinguish the text.

• 432 posts
    November 9, 2017 6:45 PM PST

Visable clouds of breath when the weather is colder

Haircuts and hairstyles - places where you can get them

Bards that sing songs sing actual songs or play actual songs?

thats all I got

-Todd

• 1785 posts
    November 10, 2017 8:27 AM PST

Neph's things for today - they have been mentioned by others here and elswehere, but expanding it a bit more.

- Give us an NPC we can visit in game to get a makeover (within reason).  Changing hairstyle, color, facial hair, warpaint/tattoos, etc.  Make it cost some cash but make it available.  Sometimes you just want a new look!

- Give us things to collect and a reason to collect them!  You don't have to go full-out collectible systems like EQ2's collectible, but if I manage to snag every single color of Terminus Rose available in the world, I should be able to *do* something neat with those.

This post was edited by Nephele at November 10, 2017 8:28 AM PST
    • 1019 posts
    November 10, 2017 2:55 PM PST

Liav said:

I want to see the ability to toggle wield style. Vanguard had it, but I bet Pantheon can do it better. Allows you to change how you hold your weapons, purely cosmetic. You could hold your weapons in your hands like EQ, or sheathe them on your sides.

Oh, one more thing, bows/quivers visible on our backs (although this might already be a thing, I just can't remember seeing it in streams).

Can I wield them left handed?  I'm left handed IRL yet never been able to have my characters be left handed.

• 2130 posts
    November 10, 2017 2:59 PM PST

Kittik said:

Liav said:

I want to see the ability to toggle wield style. Vanguard had it, but I bet Pantheon can do it better. Allows you to change how you hold your weapons, purely cosmetic. You could hold your weapons in your hands like EQ, or sheathe them on your sides.

Oh, one more thing, bows/quivers visible on our backs (although this might already be a thing, I just can't remember seeing it in streams).

Can I wield them left handed?  I'm left handed IRL yet never been able to have my characters be left handed.

That would be pretty cool, actually. I don't know how much of a technical hurdle it is but it would be nice to see.

• 2419 posts
    November 10, 2017 3:02 PM PST

I like all these ideas, but as much as I'd like to see them, gameplay should come first.  Get all the mechanics finished, balanced and polished, eliminate as many bugs as possible then worry about the touchy-feely stuff.

• 32 posts
    November 10, 2017 6:08 PM PST

Wonderful posts!  Yes we want Pantheon to be a world we enter with the whole concept of game slowly blurring into the background behind the wonder of all the amazing small things it provides us.

I want to see and hear the winds blowing across the landscapes..:)

• 281 posts
    November 10, 2017 6:24 PM PST

Pyye said:

Quoted for agreement.  In a social game, the ability to easily interact with players, especially in chat, is important.  Many modern MMOs fail at this too.  Right-clicking a name in the chat should give a number of options, like /tell or /whisper.  If within range, perhaps even /trade and /face.  An easy way to /report that can have a screen capture, last 30secs of chat with selected character wouldn't hurt either.  But it should all be rather easy to communicate via chat.  Maybe also request audio chat command (probably don't want that being unsolicited action).

This post was edited by DragonFist at November 10, 2017 6:30 PM PST
    • 178 posts
    November 10, 2017 8:15 PM PST

Kittik said:

Do you remap keys for movement because of your lefthandedness? Or do you just play as the keys were assigned? I know I played EQ with my arms crossed and used my left hand on the arrow keys for movement and my right hand for whatever the keys on the other side did (I can't remember). I'm not left-handed but I just found it easier to play cross armed. I think it also had to do with being able to fly my right hand onto the mouse when I needed to and then place it back on the keyboard and my left hand could stay where it was.