Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Little Things

• 118 posts
    November 16, 2017 8:23 PM PST
    I would like that too. It would be nice to see abilities like infravision actually be a boon.
    • 1281 posts
    November 16, 2017 8:57 PM PST

Nydan said:

Kalok said:

Nydan said:

Kalok said:

Rydan said:

It would also be nice if the mobs did that too:
    "ROAR, puny hooman Nephele incomming to trick us, but we are smart" after which a train of mobs comes down on the puller.

That would be fricken AWESOME!

I remember when practicing up my pickpocket skill seeing the dreaded "Stop!  Thief!"  The only reason why it was dreaded was because you, invariably, had at least one person in the group that mistakenly believed tha the pickpocket loot table was the same as the drop loot table and they would get angry.

Lol dude. It was the same in EQ.

That's what I was talking about.

Well, my experience playing 2 different rogues to max level and being a guy who pick pocketed on the regular, including lots of soloing hill giants, says it was the same loot pool. But granted that's just circumstantial evidence.

Circumstantial is correct.  The devs of EQ settled that old myth back in like 1999 or 2000 that they were completely separate loot tables, by design.

• 1860 posts
    November 16, 2017 9:23 PM PST

The thread in the link sums it up.  AFAIK it has always been the same loot table. 

Let me paste the last post from the thread:

"There's one loot pool without a doubt. Easy to test even with a nub rogue toon. Just pickpocket a mob for a few minutes before killing it and you'll never find more than 1cp (or 1 of whatever the lowest denomination a mob carries) + its magical items"

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/pickpocket-seperate-loot-table.226492/

• 1281 posts
    November 17, 2017 5:16 AM PST

philo said:

The thread in the link sums it up.  AFAIK it has always been the same loot table. 

Let me paste the last post from the thread:

"There's one loot pool without a doubt. Easy to test even with a nub rogue toon. Just pickpocket a mob for a few minutes before killing it and you'll never find more than 1cp (or 1 of whatever the lowest denomination a mob carries) + its magical items"

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/pickpocket-seperate-loot-table.226492/

Daybreak Games haad absolutely zero to do wiith the original EQ.  I will take the ooriginal developers' word over it than their.  Daybreak may have changed the mechanic later on, but it wasn't like that to begin with.

• 84 posts
    November 17, 2017 6:09 AM PST

All those 100s of hill giants I killed with 1cp must have just been my bad luck. Oh well, at least the pick pocket loot pool was big.

• 1785 posts
    November 17, 2017 7:27 AM PST

Not to derail the pickpocketing discussion, but here's another little thing for today :)

- Pretty bars are nice, but give us the ability to *also* show numbers or percentages in the HUD.  This is actually a pretty big deal for raiding when you might want to have people start doing things at a certain percentage.  More importantly, some people just prefer to see the numbers and it will help their enjoyment of the game.  Likewise, some people don't like a bunch of numbers all over their HUD, and want to play more organically, so we need to be able to CHOOSE how various things get displayed if at all possible :)

• 32 posts
    November 17, 2017 9:29 AM PST

~Not sure if it's been addressed, but no artificial barrier to crossing things or climbing mountains / etc.  I always hate when I hit some arbitrary line that I cannot cross or climb when it's so obvious that the PC should be able to realistically.  The new Zelda was a really refreshing take on that mechanic.  You could essentially scale anything (it doesn't have to be that extreme), but were limited by stamina so the height ultimately was a limiting factor.  I would climb stuff instead of run around even if it was quicker sometimes, because climbing offered new vantage points, etc.

~Visable Fish / organic underwater life.

~Temporal events such as church bells chiming the hour, a trumpet melody to announce the arrival of a dignitary or soliders returning to town, or going out on a war party.  They don't have to be time intensive but it adds a lot to my immersion when it feels like the world is living breathing and otherwise going on around me / without me.

~I'd say with kids, you could just make it when any threat occurs they all immediately run to their house, or the designated "safe house" for the town, which could immediately "hide" them from danger and not necessarily make them have to take part in any of the violent parts of the game.

~I'd really like for your own spells to look more detailed and intricate than what others look to you, even if they would be known to you.  It cuts down on raid / screen clutter in groups and makes getting spells for yourself all that more meaningful.  This probably would be a contentious point for people though.

~While probably not small, reactive abilities for combat, and visually intriguing melee.  Melee is such an amazingly complicated and beautiful thing to read about in books and to watch in movies, but often time in games it's a rinse and repeat visually of 3-4 actions for the entire game.  I realize this is developer intensive, but I would love for a melee to have the same joy watching themselves move around and engage in combat as a caster does with their visually appealing casts.

~I really like weapon sheathing / realistic handling, options for holding main hand differently.

~Ability to train underwater breathing to increase the overall time you can spend underwater without spell / item, and I also really liked training swimming, as much of a pain as it was going back to a new character and feeling like I was made of lead when I started to swim again.

~Dangerous terrain.  Having to walk on a very narrow ledge / jump across divides to cross adds another element of skill, intrigue and difficulty that I don't always feel gets included in MMOs to any great degree.  Makes me partly think about the number of lives Kelethin claimed to fall death.  That'd be a hilarious stat if it could be pulled.

• 1281 posts
    November 17, 2017 3:38 PM PST

Unsquishable said:

~Not sure if it's been addressed, but no artificial barrier to crossing things or climbing mountains / etc.  I always hate when I hit some arbitrary line that I cannot cross or climb when it's so obvious that the PC should be able to realistically.  The new Zelda was a really refreshing take on that mechanic.  You could essentially scale anything (it doesn't have to be that extreme), but were limited by stamina so the height ultimately was a limiting factor.  I would climb stuff instead of run around even if it was quicker sometimes, because climbing offered new vantage points, etc.

~Visable Fish / organic underwater life.

~Temporal events such as church bells chiming the hour, a trumpet melody to announce the arrival of a dignitary or soliders returning to town, or going out on a war party.  They don't have to be time intensive but it adds a lot to my immersion when it feels like the world is living breathing and otherwise going on around me / without me.

~I'd say with kids, you could just make it when any threat occurs they all immediately run to their house, or the designated "safe house" for the town, which could immediately "hide" them from danger and not necessarily make them have to take part in any of the violent parts of the game.

~I'd really like for your own spells to look more detailed and intricate than what others look to you, even if they would be known to you.  It cuts down on raid / screen clutter in groups and makes getting spells for yourself all that more meaningful.  This probably would be a contentious point for people though.

~While probably not small, reactive abilities for combat, and visually intriguing melee.  Melee is such an amazingly complicated and beautiful thing to read about in books and to watch in movies, but often time in games it's a rinse and repeat visually of 3-4 actions for the entire game.  I realize this is developer intensive, but I would love for a melee to have the same joy watching themselves move around and engage in combat as a caster does with their visually appealing casts.

~I really like weapon sheathing / realistic handling, options for holding main hand differently.

~Ability to train underwater breathing to increase the overall time you can spend underwater without spell / item, and I also really liked training swimming, as much of a pain as it was going back to a new character and feeling like I was made of lead when I started to swim again.

~Dangerous terrain.  Having to walk on a very narrow ledge / jump across divides to cross adds another element of skill, intrigue and difficulty that I don't always feel gets included in MMOs to any great degree.  Makes me partly think about the number of lives Kelethin claimed to fall death.  That'd be a hilarious stat if it could be pulled.

That last one I saw in one of the early videos.  I'm hoping that it stayed in.

• 334 posts
    November 17, 2017 4:53 PM PST

Unsquishable said:

I think Unsquishable has some nice idea's, but this one I liked perticularly.
    a Balance skill
    and a jump distance skill
    and a stupidity factor announcer.
    Though the novelty of a fall dead counter would soon wear off, if the counter also said what caused or where the victom fell; that could add an ever changeble laugh factor.
    Like, "Death 34009. Player jumped short from House to Barn, fell to its death in pig pen. Oink 344."

• 1785 posts
    November 17, 2017 7:14 PM PST

Rydan said:

Unsquishable said:

I think Unsquishable has some nice idea's, but this one I liked perticularly.
    a Balance skill
    and a jump distance skill
    and a stupidity factor announcer.
    Though the novelty of a fall dead counter would soon wear off, if the counter also said what caused or where the victom fell; that could add an ever changeble laugh factor.
    Like, "Death 34009. Player jumped short from House to Barn, fell to its death in pig pen. Oink 344."

Or, EQ style :)

Rydan takes 73165 points of falling damage!

Rydan has been killed by pain and suffering!

• 1785 posts
    November 18, 2017 6:55 AM PST

Here is a Little thing for this morning :)

Timers.

Whenever we "cast" an effect that has a duration, or have one placed upon us, the UI should display a timer that lets us know how long until it goes away.  Whether it's for that SoW buff we just handed out to the party or for seeing that our mezzes are about to break.  Don't make us try to remember effect durations on our own, instead let the UI show us that we only have 20 seconds before something wears off.

• 1281 posts
    November 18, 2017 9:41 AM PST

Vandraad said:

I'd like to see areas in dungeons where there are no lights/sconces so players need to carry a torch.  Lose your torch, it goes completely dark...and you get eaten by a grue.

I think, based on a previous streams, this will be a thing.  Or at least some form there-of.

• 1785 posts
    November 19, 2017 1:22 AM PST

Insomnia sucks, so here's a little thing for the morning a bit early.

If an NPC is wearing something, players should be able to obtain and wear a similar looking outfit.  This applies both to NPC's out in the world (wow, the knight-captain has really nice armor, i wish i could wear armor that looked like that) as well as to cosmetic clothing in more "civilized" areas.  So, you can extrapolate that to mean that:

a) if a texture is used on an NPC then it should be an equippable texture in game, somewhere.

b) cosmetic clothing *should* exist - if those npc nobles are all dressed up in town, then we should be able to get all dressed up too.

Anyway my point is that it sucks seeing an NPC wearing something that looks amazing and then realizing that no player can ever get that outfit.

• 35 posts
    November 19, 2017 3:30 AM PST

Nephele said:

Timers.

Whenever we "cast" an effect that has a duration, or have one placed upon us, the UI should display a timer that lets us know how long until it goes away.  Whether it's for that SoW buff we just handed out to the party or for seeing that our mezzes are about to break.  Don't make us try to remember effect durations on our own, instead let the UI show us that we only have 20 seconds before something wears off.

definitly no !!!
    As a good chanter its not necessary. just let us see how long the mezz estimates if you have targeted the foe directly.
    Also don't give these posibility to custom UI's.
    This makes a game easier and you dont need any skill.

• 1921 posts
    November 19, 2017 7:13 AM PST

Nephele said:

Timers.

Agreed. Expected feature.

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 7:30 AM PST

Pufug said:

Nephele said:

Timers.

definitly no !!!
    As a good chanter its not necessary. just let us see how long the mezz estimates if you have targeted the foe directly.

I agree.  No timers should exist.  Part of what made a good caster was being able to keep track of your crowd control without hand-holding.

• 1399 posts
    November 19, 2017 9:34 AM PST

Nephele said:

Timers.

vjek said:Agreed. Expected feature.

Pufug said:definitly no !!!

Lol, you can't please all of the people all of the time! I have to agree with Pufug here, timers are just hand holding... but to go a step further so is accurate timed spells... Mez or Root or... shouldn't be a guaranteed 30,60,90 (or whatever) secounds. It should be based on the casters and mobs stats. A level 2 Enchanter with MAX (for the level) Conjuration Skill should have a 99% chance for a full term mesmerize, but one with a few points down in Conjuration should stand a chance for a complete or partial resist.

Instead of a timer, maybe a message "your Mesmerize spell has been (partially or fully) resisted"

This post was edited by Zorkon at November 19, 2017 9:39 AM PST
    • 1921 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:17 PM PST

From the default EQ1User Interface today: (and as far back as I can remember playing)

https://i.imgur.com/wRzl7kQ.png

You'll note the minutes and seconds.  There is no value in "hiding" this information from the player, imo.

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:21 PM PST

vjek said:

From the default EQ1User Interface today: (and as far back as I can remember playing)

https://i.imgur.com/wRzl7kQ.png

You'll note the minutes and seconds.  There is no value in "hiding" this information from the player, imo.

So if you mezx four different mobs at four different times, you want those cluttering up your screen?  I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be a jerk.  I've never played a caster, so I dfon't know the usefulness of that.

• 1921 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:32 PM PST

It only shows up in the mob effect interface if it's only on that mob.  But yes, I definitely would like to know when it's time to refresh an effect like that, as well as all the buffs on group members.

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:39 PM PST

vjek said:

It only shows up in the mob effect interface if it's only on that mob.  But yes, I definitely would like to know when it's time to refresh an effect like that, as well as all the buffs on group members.

Again, I don't play casters, so take this for what it's worth.

That seems kind of convoluted and "busy" to me.

This post was edited by Kalok at November 19, 2017 12:39 PM PST
    • 1921 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:45 PM PST

You only get the minutes and seconds (and name) if you hover over it. 
    Normally it's just the minutes (until it's less than a minute, then it switches to seconds) and the tiny icon, which you can customize the size of.
    Normally, a quick glance is all it takes and you have all the information you need very quickly.   IIRC, you can set a pulse/flash option as well, when it's under a certain threshold, like 30 seconds left, so it grabs your attention in the case of a buff refresh.

• 1785 posts
    November 20, 2017 7:47 AM PST

Little thing for this morning, this time an art thing:  Multiple idle animations for monsters/creatures out in the world, and idle animations triggered by proximity to other monsters/creatures.

Most games have at least one idle animation for their MOBs.  So you know, if you watch long enough you'll see the orc scratch itself, or something.  But the really immersive ones that I've played have had multiple idle animations.  So sometimes the orc scratches itself, sometimes it sits down and yawns, sometimes it sort of looks around bored (because hey, the life of an orc guard is not that exciting).  And sometimes, when another orc walks by, the two orcs engage in a "conversation", with chest thumping and pointing and anger and so on.

Obviously each idle animation is more work for artists so there is a balance here, but more = better :)

• 409 posts
    November 20, 2017 8:25 AM PST

Faction should matter. Class, race and religion and how they all affect faction should matter. There should be faction advantages and disadvantages to all your choices, they should matter over time, and there should never be a time/place where they don't matter.

Pre-Luclin EQ1 still seems to be the only game that ever got that right, and even that game had a few failings on faction that bummed me out.

Good examples of "done well" would be the Queen Dizok quests in Chardok and the Velious faction grinds. Examples of "done poorly" would be loyal servants of Hate/Fear/Disease not being able to get past KoS in the various home planes, where the Growth goody goodies could frolic in PoG no questions asked, or all the post-Luclin neutral areas where all that faction work was negated for the rest of time.

Faction should always matter. One of the easiest ways for a game to stop making any sense at all is when good and evil characters are always in the same places, no faction concerns at all, etc. None of your choices matter beyond purely cosmetic, and it ends up being one vanilla grind after another with no repercussions at all. 

This post was edited by Venjenz at November 20, 2017 8:26 AM PST
    • 902 posts
    November 21, 2017 2:38 AM PST

Nice post!

My list of things include (yup could be demanding on the PC, but...):

Birds in flight (such as starlings in a mumuration), flying above my head or between trees or bushes and that they dont follow easily recognisable paths. Animals hunting and running away from each other. Changing seasons and sounds that change with those seasons (lots of bug noises and bird song in summer and different noises in winter, wind, ice creaking, cracking ice). I would love to see wind on a medow move in patterns rather than causing all plants to move at the same time. That wind would continue onto flat open water and cause the surface to change as it moved across). Hearing trees creak in high winds. Flags flutter differently depending on the weather conditions (along with cloaks and other loose clothing and textiles).

I would love to see footprints in the snow stay for a fair while, making heavy traversed areas look messed up (even turn slushy looking) and allowing for real tracking over snow fields.

Different styles of movement could be unlocked as part of your characters training (a thief could learn a different sneak animation that other non-theif characters couldn't do), Difference in stances between freshly rested characters and ones that have been in the fields for a while. Two or three ways for holding equipment when at rest.

Trees and plants at different ages, not just one type/age of plant in an area.

This post was edited by chenzeme at November 21, 2017 2:39 AM PST