Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What do you consider the best?

• 213 posts
    May 15, 2017 10:16 AM PDT

My water sprinkler of nem anka.    50 people showed up to help me fight rage fire... All the people I'd met in my travels and rezzed with mana decided I was worth the effort of coming, I'll never forget it!  

• 563 posts
    May 15, 2017 10:40 AM PDT

R.I.S. (Reinforced Insulated Sheath) armour in SWG. It took a master armoursmith who completed a quest line by a hidden master armoursmith to craft. It took rare materials droped from tough mobs and looked very cool! :D

• 2752 posts
    May 15, 2017 10:55 AM PDT

Pre-nerf Guise of the Deceiver. I always loved illusion spells and was lucky enough to get one on my monk before it got nerfed, being such a unique snowflake as a Dark Elf monk was awesome. 

Speaking of, I really hope VR also strives to avoid negatively adjusting items after they have been earned save for cases where the item presents a balance issue making the change necessary, like Mosscovered Twig.

This post was edited by Iksar at May 15, 2017 10:57 AM PDT
    • 155 posts
    May 15, 2017 12:20 PM PDT

I assume most people that completed it in the early days of EQ, will claim it to be the Epic 1.0 : for me it clearly was as a warrior Blade of tactic and strategy, warrior was a plain class and these swords made my life so easy , along with the blade of carnage. Also the 2 warrior blades epic 1.0 could transform into a 2H /grin. I'd also add the ornate/elemental mold from planes of powers, they were fun and challenging to farm the ornate in general was hard for a group, and the elemental needed a coordinated raid force. Since these mold could be used by a few classes each and the raid format was 72 it felt rewarding when you'd get your hand on one.

This post was edited by Rendall at May 15, 2017 12:22 PM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    May 15, 2017 12:30 PM PDT
    Spectre robe from EQOA was probably my second favorite. Ultra rare drop from shade crocodiles. I never got one as they were removed from the loot table when my server was created ... but I remember seeing other warrios wear then when I beta tested the first expansion. Rare / ultra rare cosmetic gear can be awesome if done right. Rubicite plate was also very memorable. Crappy stats but looked awesome and was very difficult to obtain. If you saw someone with it, they definitely stood out ... it did not require raiding each piece was a very rare drop from high level Tae Ew Tjilian lizard men in Cazic Thule.
    • 1404 posts
    May 15, 2017 1:26 PM PDT

Staff of Temperate Flux

A low level instant cast clicky debuff. I got it on my Wizard in EQ arround level 20 and still use it today. Was perfect for pulling as its next to nothing in agro and was great for drive by adding mobs for quad kiting.

• 20 posts
    May 15, 2017 1:33 PM PDT

Time's Antithesis  was a great item, for shaman.

• 1714 posts
    May 15, 2017 1:44 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Pre-nerf Guise of the Deceiver. I always loved illusion spells and was lucky enough to get one on my monk before it got nerfed, being such a unique snowflake as a Dark Elf monk was awesome. 

Speaking of, I really hope VR also strives to avoid negatively adjusting items after they have been earned save for cases where the item presents a balance issue making the change necessary, like Mosscovered Twig.

I was lucky enough to have a DE mask and a pegasus feather cloak on my monk. I could run off a cliff and spam the mask and I'd be this huge glowing green orb flying through the sky. It was epic. 

• 21 posts
    May 15, 2017 1:52 PM PDT

My Returning Throwing Hammer (Rhammer) and Returning Throwing Dagger (Rdagger) in Legends of Kesmai, great for those bow mobs, caster mobs or low health fleeing mobs. 

My Returning Throwing King Minataur Axe in Kingdom of Darkkar which was also great for those bow mobs or caster mobs and low health fleeing mobs :)

Jboots in Everquest.

My Shdaodw Knight Mythic Weapon in EQ2.

Compaire that to playing ESO where I just make all my set gear so nothing feels all that special about.

• 131 posts
    May 15, 2017 3:27 PM PDT

Coercer Mythical in EQ2.  Turned Mana Flow into a group spell, and with a little ingenuity a coercer could flow up to 3 groups approximately 20% mana (or more, its been years) every 30 seconds.  I was a Mana GODDESS!!! Muhahahahaha

• 2138 posts
    May 15, 2017 3:50 PM PDT

Two things, the Fused Mnemonic of Khati Shah, and Sigil Earring of Veracity. sorry for a TL-DR type post.

heh both took years but what made them special:

1 Mnemonic- I studied the event and was strong enough that if I had at least one more person I could about do it up to the parts where the group needed ot be split into two. What made it fun was showing people the hidden area with the larger Grimlings. Finally getting enough people on and real clerics ( before mercs) that had nothing to do,  to help with the split part and then finally opening the door and Khati was not up the first time- heh (50-50 chance) I appologzed to thr group and thanked them for coming.  But I learned that the bridge dropped into the lava if you pressed the thing and I died in the lava. The second time about a year later- and a few levels higher it only took one group but we had a goofy iksar monk along. I asked if he was the one we ran into years ago in Kaesora. We made it through the split and opened the door! AND KHATI SHAH WAS UP! (50/50 chance) I was so nervous. When we crossed the bridge I saw the iksar turn around and I said "dont touch the.." and the iksar monk did, and was plunged into the lava. I pressed the thing to get the elevator back up and he was dead on the platform. Already I was saying for him to run back and I would coth- when he got up from feign dead- hehehehe it broke the tension and we were able to defeat Khati and the PuG members actually liked the loot, I only wanted the quest part.

The Sigil earring of veracity- each step could be broken down into small group or Pug opportunities. I admit to using it to try to garner freindships and influence with people I did not know. There was one surly Warrior part of a raid guild that had better things to do that helped me once because he was bored and half way through the fight he said " hey, this is good exp here" and I chimed in and showed him other places where high level guards wandered. Also as faction became worse and worse me and a shaman and BST vah were able to do the summoning guards with pets- we would invis, the shaman would run to where we were going to set up and anger the guards that could see invis. Once we saw him leave the buiilding we would run into the spot and I would coth him. He made it to about 40pct health before I cothed because all the townspeople joined in.  I got to the point where the only thing I needed was the head. I heard through a friend that the Surly warrior and his guild were going to do Seru for loots. I asked if I could come along. He replied- don't expect anything- and I said of course not but would be happy to add some DPS. And I mustered up my courage to say the next thing for he was surly and they were top end- I said but if no one wants the head, if I were to ask for a chance to roll on the head I would appreciate it. Its for a quest. He invited me in and when Seru was down and he asked if anyone wants the head. No one replied and I piped up to say it was for a very nice earing quest and could be pre lootable and showed them what the earring was in chat (I asked someone who had it to link it to me). no one responded, and the Surly Warrior sent me a tall in about 5 minutes saying "loot the head"- before disbanding me alone and they all gated. I knew I had about 3-2 minutes before regular respawn- but I had to get through the barrier! I figured out how- I dont think  lev was allowed- and looted the head just as I popped my eye to see abhout respawns- they had just started. Although the Gate spell is 45sec I think? it seemed ot take forever. Once I made it out safe I gor a wierd tell from the Surly warrior- he asked if I got the head, and I said I did. I was not anon (I was never anon). and I got the earring!  

This post was edited by Manouk at May 15, 2017 3:52 PM PDT
    • 52 posts
    May 15, 2017 3:53 PM PDT

Gamerchick said:

My water sprinkler of nem anka.    50 people showed up to help me fight rage fire... All the people I'd met in my travels and rezzed with mana decided I was worth the effort of coming, I'll never forget it!  

This x 100 :)    My RF camp was about 68 hours and an experience I'll always treasure. My guild would take turns helping to clear fire giants during all hours of the day and would stand watch ready to call me if he popped (allowing me a few hours of sleep each day). During the downtime we would chat, hang out and play stupid games like swimming in the lava. 

This post was edited by Heloisa at May 15, 2017 3:53 PM PDT
    • 110 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:15 PM PDT

Rachael said:

R.I.S. (Reinforced Insulated Sheath) armour in SWG. It took a master armoursmith who completed a quest line by a hidden master armoursmith to craft. It took rare materials droped from tough mobs and looked very cool! :D

I know they have the emu servers for this game but I was there the day they turned the lights out.  RIP SWG and becomeing a Jedi Pre-CU  This game will always have a special place in my memory.

This post was edited by Evorus at May 15, 2017 5:16 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:35 PM PDT

I love the varying replies, I thought so many would be similar but it is great to see so many different weapons and armours! :)

• 294 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:39 PM PDT

I had a hammer in VGsoh that I fell in love with and for the life of me right now, I can not remember what it was called. It wasn't the best in game. Heck I think I could craft better but for some reason I wouldn't part with it. Dwarves and their hammers...lol.

• 85 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:48 PM PDT

My meteor staff that old man filzin gave me from BOD (VG). QJ + Meteor Staff + quick equip Epics (2 Focuses) = 20++ SOD mobs dead

• 155 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:59 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

I love the varying replies, I thought so many would be similar but it is great to see so many different weapons and armours! :)

We all had different experience !

• 2130 posts
    May 15, 2017 9:35 PM PDT

Item: Amulet of Necropotence. EQ's skeleton model, laugh, etc. is timeless.

Weapon: EQOA Grimblade. Despite being overtly phallic, the weapon itself was amazing. A nice mixture of effectiveness, rarity, and iconicness.

Armor: EQOA level 17 armor from the class-specific quest line. Second, EQOA level 25 armor from the class-specific quest line. Very fulfilling to get them.

• 58 posts
    May 15, 2017 10:05 PM PDT

best weapon i've ever got... gotta be when i got my Trueshot in the kunark expansion... now a days you dont get good weapons or they dont stand out since they are just skins...

but yes i will always remember the first time i crit with that bad boy!

• 155 posts
    May 15, 2017 10:42 PM PDT

Liav said:

Item: Amulet of Necropotence. EQ's skeleton model, laugh, etc. is timeless.

Loved that one myself.

• 523 posts
    May 16, 2017 1:02 AM PDT

Greenmist.  Just because I was one of the highest Iksar SKs working on figuring out that quest on the forums with everyone else.  The FV part being broken kind of killed our momentum for a while, but all the theory crafting, trying to decipher the quest clues and lore was awesome.  The fact I was later able to use it as a shissar bane in Luclin in Ssra Temple was a cherry on top.  Wasn't the best weapon or armor piece I ever got, not even close, but it meant the most because I was on the cutting edge of it and had to figure out that massive quest quite a bit on my own.  

• 753 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:05 AM PDT

I ALWAYS log my ranger out in front of his trainer in Kelethin, where his tale began... wearing his epic weapons.  When the game finallay gets shut down, and Norrath ceases to be, my ranger will be there.  Epics in hand.  (even though it has long since stopped being my "best" weapon)

However, I think there is a difference between what my best weapon is... and what my best / favorite story about getting a weapon is. 

My most memorable weapon story is actually about the Ornate Sword of the General.  It dropped off of General Jared Blaystich in the Luclin expansion.  My story started out as the typical story in EQ.  I saw it on a fellow ranger and asked where they got it.  They told me their story of how they got it, and where they got it.  That's how a lot of things happened back in the day.  This is the rest of my story...

I logged into my guild's website sometime in the middle of the day (a sanity break at work) and posted that, if possible, sorry for such short notice, I'd like to try to get the sword at 8:00 server... if folks were willing.  Then my day went to hell.  If it could go wrong, it went wrong.  Going home from work an hour late became going home from work hours late.  I didn't get home until after my posted time... thought to myself "ahh well, some other time..."  Got changed, grabbed a sandwich, logged in.  It had to be at least 8:45 if not 9:00.

The moment I logged in, I got bombarded with tells:  "Hurry up lazy ranger!";  "Come get your sword, noob!";  "Geesh... you'd think you could show up for your own event!"  You know the type of message... the type you got back then because your guild had become sort of an extended family.  I honestly don't recall if I ran there, got ported there... or whatever.  I assume I got ported there.  What I do remember is that when I got there, well over 40 people were standing at General Jared Blaystich.  Waiting for me.  They had organized themselves, cleared to him... and then just waited. 

That's how I got that sword.  My in game family gathered, used their precious play time... got there without me - and waited for me.

And so my ranger is always camped in Kelethin, in front of his trainer, wearing his epics... Swiftwind and Earthcaller.  In his bags, he has the Ornate Sword of the General.  Another weapon that long since lost usefulness... that will be with him when the servers go dark... it's not there because it was a great weapon, it's there because it was gained for me by great people.

This post was edited by Wandidar at May 16, 2017 6:23 AM PDT
    • 690 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:11 AM PDT

The Iksar Berserker Club from Kurn's Tower, Everquest of course! Not only was it good for melee classes but much more importantly it was an early game source of good plats. I used it as a "seed" to earn some platinum, and then tunnel rat my way to far better gear. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at May 16, 2017 6:12 AM PDT
    • 999 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:14 AM PDT

Rubicite Breasplate!  Thought my warrior was awesome after having a full set of red plate.

• 36 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:54 AM PDT

EQ1: the Warden Symbol of Tunare.  I started the quest about level 10.  I remember camping that stupid heart in Lesser Fay for hours, only to die when I finally got a shot, then to have someone steal it.  When I finally got through the quest the Symbol felt like a real RP piece of my character (who was a druid that worshipped Tunare).  I left that thing equipped for ever, even though items with much better stats became available.  To me, the RP experience and the clicky root combined to be worth losing 1 slot of stats.