Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What do you consider the best?

• 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 3:55 AM PDT

What is the best weapon or armour piece you have ever earned in any game to date and why do you consider it so good? #PRF #Epics #Bestdrop

• 432 posts
    May 15, 2017 4:06 AM PDT

The epic weapon in LotRO .

It is almost a mini game in itself . It is class defining, upgradable, craftable and has a vast number of options to give skills, stats and abilities . Very good design even if I would have appreciated that there be more quests involving the weapon and its upgrades .

• 24 posts
    May 15, 2017 4:36 AM PDT

EQ 1 Enchanter eipc version 1

The first useful click I ever had.  This was befroe they increased spell slots and before AA exp points.

And it was not a bad weapon for an Enchanter at the time and great stats.

• 116 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:04 AM PDT

My first Mythical in EQ2 for my Warden.  As EQ2 mythicals go it is one of the easier ones to get, but it was still immensely satisfying seeing the server-wide announcement message and getting the fancy particle effect on my fabled epic.

it was good for me because up until that point I was a purely casual player, and that day pretty much got me hooked on raiding, and the rest is history.

• 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:11 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

It is almost a mini game in itself . It is class defining, upgradable, craftable and has a vast number of options to give skills, stats and abilities . Very good design even if I would have appreciated that there be more quests involving the weapon and its upgrades .

That sounds pretty good mate! :)

• 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:11 AM PDT

Nimryl said:

Jboots! Why? Spent two days getting them. Lasted for years and probably the most useful item I've ever owned in any mmorpg.

Yeah, JBoots in EQ and VG were awesome and worth the effort :)

• 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:12 AM PDT

rkwiles said:

EQ 1 Enchanter eipc version 1

The first useful click I ever had.  This was befroe they increased spell slots and before AA exp points.

And it was not a bad weapon for an Enchanter at the time and great stats.

Nice, EQ epics 1.0 were tough :)

• 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:12 AM PDT

itvar said:

My first Mythical in EQ2 for my Warden.  As EQ2 mythicals go it is one of the easier ones to get, but it was still immensely satisfying seeing the server-wide announcement message and getting the fancy particle effect on my fabled epic.

it was good for me because up until that point I was a purely casual player, and that day pretty much got me hooked on raiding, and the rest is history.

I had never got to max level or any epics/mythicals in EQ 2, nice job! :)

• 2886 posts
    May 15, 2017 5:30 AM PDT

I was the first on my server in DDO to acquire Cormyrian Green Dragonplate Armor. It had good stats all around, but its ability to universally reduce the mana cost of all spells by 10% was what made it invaluable to my Cleric at the time. I had to kill a lot of dragons to get it, which is always fun :) And of course being a server first means it's always special to me, even when something better comes along in the future.

• 724 posts
    May 15, 2017 6:14 AM PDT

For me, the EQ1 mage epic, and the coldain prayer shawl definitely stand out as they required so much effort to get.

I also won't forget my collection of clickies from VG/Xennumet temple though, these were fairly easy to get (compared to the above quests) but were just nice to have and super fun, especially the super jump boots!

• 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 6:50 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I was the first on my server in DDO to acquire Cormyrian Green Dragonplate Armor. It had good stats all around, but its ability to universally reduce the mana cost of all spells by 10% was what made it invaluable to my Cleric at the time. I had to kill a lot of dragons to get it, which is always fun :) And of course being a server first means it's always special to me, even when something better comes along in the future.

Very nice man! :)

• 9115 posts
    May 15, 2017 6:54 AM PDT

Sarim said:

For me, the EQ1 mage epic, and the coldain prayer shawl definitely stand out as they required so much effort to get.

I also won't forget my collection of clickies from VG/Xennumet temple though, these were fairly easy to get (compared to the above quests) but were just nice to have and super fun, especially the super jump boots!

Yeah, some fo the VG clickies were fun to camp/grind or quest for.

The weapon that stood out for me the most was the Jharru Dagger, the devs said it dropped in a location that myself and a few Rogues grinded for  around a year and then was told it was broken and not dropping there at all and it was somewhere else, so we grinded there for 9 months and none dropped there, finally a patch fixed it and they started very slowly dropping, I grinded for months, still nothing until one night I logged off after another huge grinding session for it to drop for my guild group not long after, one of them kept it for me and traded it to me the next day, kind fo sucked but was awesome at the same time but definitely a weapon I will never forget! lol :P

• 1303 posts
    May 15, 2017 7:14 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is the best weapon or armour piece you have ever earned in any game to date and why do you consider it so good? #PRF #Epics #Bestdrop

Pre-nerf circlet of shadows. 

I'll admit that the nerf on the item was aruguably appropriate, but the utility it allowed really did have a lasting benefit that I leaned on regularly. Might seem like a relatively mundane thing to most, but it was a very impactful item for years.

• 422 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:05 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

Exactly this. Lotro had a wonderful system for their "epic" weapons. Lots of customization, upgrades, and the simple fact that you could give your weapon a NAME was just so damned cool.

I absolutely LOVED how LOTRO did this. Wish we could see this in other games.

• 3237 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

Matron's Heart, EQ2.  Once per server drop awarded for killing one of the most challenging raid encounters I have ever beaten.  Had a clicky effect that granted 50% reduction on reuse of any abilities used during a 30 second period.

• 279 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:15 AM PDT

EQ

I have 4x 40 slot bags filled with clickies and things on my main paladin varying from items of power to illusions.

If I had to pick one probably the staff of forbidden rites ges used the most. I figured out a way (while it was still current content) to 3 man the raids and was the first person on my sserver to have one. Did the raids on lockout and group missions for like 2 weeks straight waking up at 2am or taking off work in the middle of the day to do them.

Other than that the 2.5 epic for raw power

Followed by Dawnseeker's breastplate 

The clicky rez every 30s is my favorite tho.

• 2 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:24 AM PDT

In DDO my guild was the first in the world to complete the Abbot, and I was the first to aquire the Staff of the Petitioner.

• 73 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:37 AM PDT

EQ1 as a cleric, the arm slot I had that damaged undead over time allowed me to break out and solo easier.  I used them for many levels and even after they became questionable to carry around, I never took them out of my bag.  When an item becomes part of your playstyle so much, you never want it to go away, regardless of an expansion, etc. 

1) Quests to upgrade/imbue items from a previous expansion to keep them useful help us (like Jboots, Legendary JBoots for example)

2) Items that draw higher level players to play with lower level players just to get a chance at th at drop if they're in the group

3) Items are status symbols.  Unique skins, unique spell skins, or other status symbols.  People should know you're carrying around something not easily attained, and I don't mean raid loot only.

• 1281 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:37 AM PDT

Probably dual wield Scepter of Destruction.

• 65 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:40 AM PDT

I still remember when i got my Rotting Fist from bertox on EQOA, bert hit insanely hard and forced us to come up with a healing rotation to be able to main tank him, the weapon was the best in the game at the time too. I also remember selling it to a character named Drunkenrangr for 60 million tunar when i quit lol.

The voltaic wraps from vanguard were probably the most powerful piece of gear I have ever had in a game but not incredibly rewarding of a find to me. Being able to loot a +damage ring from core processor and get the other from Replican Memati felt like a major achivement that you had to go through hell to acquire. I am sure Kilsin remembers the joys of grinding tier 3 trash in pota as well.

• 1714 posts
    May 15, 2017 8:45 AM PDT

Relative to the era it dropped, the Cloak of Flames was the best item I ever had. People used CoF into Luclin. 

• 189 posts
    May 15, 2017 9:12 AM PDT
    Two great prices of gear that I used my entire EQ career, my Mask of the Deciever for my massive ogre warrior, at that level not many people were making shrink potions (or I couldnt afford them) and I rarely had a shaman in group. It was my best piece of gear until the cobalt bracer.

Never forget my Jboots!
    • 110 posts
    May 15, 2017 9:14 AM PDT

The Fiery Defender, which I can't remember if it was the 1.5 or the 2.0 paladin epic from EQ1. I worked so hard on that. It took me years to get and I was so proud of it when I got it. Sheyna Rainbringer, paladin of Karana, was the bane of the undead across Norrath! (But all other baddies went: Meh. Paladins basically just stood there and stunned things. Wooo.)

But along with epic weapons, there's the epic memories of epic weapons in EQ:

Anyone remember the day that Fiery Avengers were being dug up from foraging?

Then there was the time that my guild came together to help one of our druids take care of the fight for the last drop of her epic 1.0 in EQ. Most of us were real-life friends or had become real-life friends, mostly living in central or west-central Florida. (Orlando/Tampa area) Several of the druids grouped with each other for the fight in duridic solidarity and celebration for the epic. Right when the fight began, one of our druids, Vorlexx, accidentally and unwittingly hit his hotkey to teleport. Sure enough, Subrete, the druid of honor, was suddenly whisked away to some far-off location. One rage quit later, and everyone's on the phone trying to talk her down and convincing her to accept Vorlexx's apology and come back to the game. The epic was earned, leaving an equally epic story that is still brought up and laughed about to this day.

• 110 posts
    May 15, 2017 9:47 AM PDT

Lghtngfan said:

The Fiery Defender, which I can't remember if it was the 1.5 or the 2.0 paladin epic from EQ1. I worked so hard on that. It took me years to get and I was so proud of it when I got it. Sheyna Rainbringer, paladin of Karana, was the bane of the undead across Norrath! (But all other baddies went: Meh. Paladins basically just stood there and stunned things. Wooo.)

But along with epic weapons, there's the epic memories of epic weapons in EQ:

Anyone remember the day that Fiery Avengers were being dug up from foraging?

Then there was the time that my guild came together to help one of our druids take care of the fight for the last drop of her epic 1.0 in EQ. Most of us were real-life friends or had become real-life friends, mostly living in central or west-central Florida. (Orlando/Tampa area) Several of the druids grouped with each other for the fight in duridic solidarity and celebration for the epic. Right when the fight began, one of our druids, Vorlexx, accidentally and unwittingly hit his hotkey to teleport. Sure enough, Subrete, the druid of honor, was suddenly whisked away to some far-off location. One rage quit later, and everyone's on the phone trying to talk her down and convincing her to accept Vorlexx's apology and come back to the game. The epic was earned, leaving an equally epic story that is still brought up and laughed about to this day.

So many stories like this is what made that game great.  The fact that somebody took the time to convince her to come back.  Today people would think nothing of it in current MMO's.  They say something like bah their dps sucked anyway or just get vote kicked or some such thing.  You're right though, working that Paladin Epic and the feels I got when I finally got that and then my cleric,and druid epics I still to this day remember all of the work put into those questlines.   The months I spent farming the frozen heart for my Druid Epic and almost giving up until one night the drop happened.  I remember being sohappy that night.

Thankyou for bringing up old memories :-)

• 1778 posts
    May 15, 2017 9:51 AM PDT
    Haste Belt from FFXI. Not because it was the best belt for my Ninja. But because I spent so much time camping it and never got it. Though to be fair its probably the belt I would have wanted outside of the Ninurtas Sash that dropped from the all but unbeatable at the time Absolute Virtue. Anyways probably the best to me because it was so coveted. I think I lost a good 6 months of my life just camping King Arthro (crab Named). Camped often but only won the claim 20 or so times. And all 20 times got rare materials only. That bastard lol.