Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What do you consider the best?

• 56 posts
    May 16, 2017 7:20 AM PDT

While not the best in terms of power, three stand out for me.

The Panther Illusion Mask in Vanguard (Feline Veil I think), because I was determined to be the first to get it on release and got the discovery credit for it. Plus illusions are fun.

In EQ I always had a pet complex as a ranger. I just wanted a wolf of my own. So I became obsessed with anything that summoned wolves, like Whip Of The Earthcrafter (which I'd still pop in for procs long after I'd outgrown its stats) and I also carried around a Scimitar Of The Mistwalker for more wolfness even though it was terribly outdated. Both are still in my rangers inventory.

• 189 posts
    May 17, 2017 11:27 AM PDT
    I think its great that some of the best pieces were not the most powerful, but items that were kept and actually used the longest. I can't think of too many items that spanned over 10-15 levels.
    • 157 posts
    May 17, 2017 7:15 PM PDT

Water Sprinkler.  It fit the class role perfectly.  And it allowed me to help other people easily and frequently.

• 409 posts
    May 19, 2017 12:08 PM PDT

Mine are all from EQ1, and all in the vanilla-Kunark-Velious era:

1) original 1.0 epic weapons.

2) anything that dropped in Veeshan's Peak (before Velious came out).

3) anything that dropped in NToV.

To obtain any of the above, anyone who did the quests/grinds required for them when they were cutting edge and BiS relevenat knows what I am talking about.

• 157 posts
    May 19, 2017 12:15 PM PDT

Venjenz said:

Mine are all from EQ1, and all in the vanilla-Kunark-Velious era:

1) original 1.0 epic weapons.

2) anything that dropped in Veeshan's Peak (before Velious came out).

3) anything that dropped in NToV.

To obtain any of the above, anyone who did the quests/grinds required for them when they were cutting edge and BiS relevenat knows what I am talking about.

OMG ... Chardok flashbacks!  Now THAT was a dungeon!

• 5 posts
    May 19, 2017 1:02 PM PDT

FFXI Leaping Lizzy Boots....so many campers and the area was so large to cover

• 363 posts
    May 19, 2017 2:15 PM PDT

Deadshade said:

The epic weapon in LotRO .

It is almost a mini game in itself . It is class defining, upgradable, craftable and has a vast number of options to give skills, stats and abilities . Very good design even if I would have appreciated that there be more quests involving the weapon and its upgrades .

I would have to agree with Deadshade here. They were called Legendary Weapons and you could custom build them to your needs. Sure, some builds were better and/or more useful than others, but it was your choice. You could also reforge them...at a cost...and start over, in case you didn't like what you ended up with. It started with Mines of Moria, iirc, and it really made for a fun part of the game. You could even name your weapon (and not just Legendary weapons, they had all sorts of stuff) and I usually named it as my character's name plus Demise (Daendric's Demise, for example) or something to do with killing orcs. Man, I hated orcs in that game...

This post was edited by Anistosoles at May 19, 2017 2:16 PM PDT
    • 169 posts
    May 19, 2017 2:35 PM PDT

Well if we can count in spells, when played eqoa i got the immortal skin spell from plane of disease (off of noroxus..i tanked it as a hero, then the next night I got the spell LoP from Bertoxxulous. Those were the best 2 days of raiding ever.

This post was edited by Megaera at May 19, 2017 2:37 PM PDT
    • 36 posts
    May 19, 2017 3:00 PM PDT

Flowing Black Silk Sash. I was farming for weeks to save up for it, and the person selling it said they could meet me at the nexus spire in the dreadlands. I remember being scared as hell that I would lose my corpse running through that zone, so I bought lev and invis poitions. Once I got to a safe zone I put that thing on and walked up to the first giant I saw and was like damn I can do some damage. 

• 513 posts
    May 19, 2017 7:06 PM PDT

I was offered $500 in US Dollars for my first Crystalline robes that dropped in the Velious expansaion - dont recall the zone - but it had all the icy orcs in it.  Guy was totally legit and WANTED that robe - I told him hell no - not even for 2 grand!

• 21 posts
    May 21, 2017 4:24 AM PDT

I have a few fond memories but here are my top

1 - Jboots spent 13 hours straight in the camp part of it on a wait list to join group part in the group waiting for my turn in the cycle to get them. Had a amazing time meeting great people that would socialize with you between spawns.

2 - Monk Epic again the friendships made meant as much as the item itself. Met more friends even a few who turned into real life friends to this day.

3 - Flowing Black Silk Sash - other than obvious this was a great item for a Monk preparing to get into raiding I hit lvl 50 with the group and spent 2 days there each time taking a break getting back on the list waiting my turn to get in and loot. Me even more great people who actually respected each other.

• 801 posts
    May 21, 2017 7:25 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is the best weapon or armour piece you have ever earned in any game to date and why do you consider it so good? #PRF #Epics #Bestdrop

EQ all time Coldian Shawl Quests, Coldian Ring Quests. Due to the quests involved, and the fact the Dev team bettered it each year.

So it was more epic quality type item. Clickies, advantages etc...

Jboots i should also mention too, but the C blocking in zones KSing your giant was horrible.

This post was edited by Crazzie at May 21, 2017 7:26 AM PDT
    • 105 posts
    May 21, 2017 8:20 AM PDT

When I first played WoW I was in a casual guild and it took us weeks to down Hakkar in ZG, our gear was not really up to scratch and he went down late at night on our 10 or 11th attempt mainly down to cracking teamwork. We were so proud and I came out with the Aegis of the Blood God. I was so proud, I never played that character past level 60 and used to log in every now and then just to reminisce...

• 5 posts
    June 29, 2018 2:45 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Staff of Temperate Flux

A low level instant cast clicky debuff. I got it on my Wizard in EQ arround level 20 and still use it today. Was perfect for pulling as its next to nothing in agro and was great for drive by adding mobs for quad kiting.

This staff was the ultime range finder!! Made you so effecient, at knowing when to stop and cast your pillar AoE spells because it helped you know your spells max range and was instaclicky!

Best item I had from launch as a wizzy. I clicked that things millions of times more than my epic.

• 3237 posts
    June 29, 2018 2:51 PM PDT

ofhiii said:

FFXI Leaping Lizzy Boots....so many campers and the area was so large to cover

I love this example.  This NPC was one of the most notorious monsters in the entire game and was found in a starter zone.  It was memorable not only because of the loot that was provided, but also the effort that went into acquiring it.  I have referenced this exact item plenty of times while reminiscing about some of my favorite FFXI memories.

This post was edited by oneADseven at June 29, 2018 2:53 PM PDT
    • 190 posts
    June 29, 2018 4:42 PM PDT

Wandidar said:

I ALWAYS log my ranger out in front of his trainer in Kelethin, where his tale began... wearing his epic weapons.  When the game finallay gets shut down, and Norrath ceases to be, my ranger will be there.  Epics in hand.  (even though it has long since stopped being my "best" weapon)

However, I think there is a difference between what my best weapon is... and what my best / favorite story about getting a weapon is. 

My most memorable weapon story is actually about the Ornate Sword of the General.  It dropped off of General Jared Blaystich in the Luclin expansion.  My story started out as the typical story in EQ.  I saw it on a fellow ranger and asked where they got it.  They told me their story of how they got it, and where they got it.  That's how a lot of things happened back in the day.  This is the rest of my story...

I logged into my guild's website sometime in the middle of the day (a sanity break at work) and posted that, if possible, sorry for such short notice, I'd like to try to get the sword at 8:00 server... if folks were willing.  Then my day went to hell.  If it could go wrong, it went wrong.  Going home from work an hour late became going home from work hours late.  I didn't get home until after my posted time... thought to myself "ahh well, some other time..."  Got changed, grabbed a sandwich, logged in.  It had to be at least 8:45 if not 9:00.

The moment I logged in, I got bombarded with tells:  "Hurry up lazy ranger!";  "Come get your sword, noob!";  "Geesh... you'd think you could show up for your own event!"  You know the type of message... the type you got back then because your guild had become sort of an extended family.  I honestly don't recall if I ran there, got ported there... or whatever.  I assume I got ported there.  What I do remember is that when I got there, well over 40 people were standing at General Jared Blaystich.  Waiting for me.  They had organized themselves, cleared to him... and then just waited. 

That's how I got that sword.  My in game family gathered, used their precious play time... got there without me - and waited for me.

And so my ranger is always camped in Kelethin, in front of his trainer, wearing his epics... Swiftwind and Earthcaller.  In his bags, he has the Ornate Sword of the General.  Another weapon that long since lost usefulness... that will be with him when the servers go dark... it's not there because it was a great weapon, it's there because it was gained for me by great people.

I wish there was a way to "like" or "Up vote" this post. It gave me the nostalgic warm fuzzies from long, long ago.

• 1120 posts
    June 29, 2018 4:59 PM PDT

Completing 2 entire BiC quests and 4 others up to the last step.  Best quest in any game ever.

• 190 posts
    June 29, 2018 5:12 PM PDT

Psssst... I'm such an acronym newb. For those of us who may have not played these games and/or did but never got to see the shiny things, could people maybe use the full names of the items or quest lines? :)

• 2756 posts
    June 29, 2018 5:44 PM PDT

I would have to agree the LOTRO 'epic' weapons were great as they were quested and could then be crafted and augmented, etc.  But they were too easy to get, so I have to say EQ Epic1.0 was awesome.

I got my Sprinkler and got quite well into the Monk Fists.

Fantastic challenging questing.

• 1785 posts
    June 29, 2018 6:26 PM PDT

Hmm.

In EQ, I was always super proud of my Fiery Avenger/Defender.  Even after it got surpassed in later expansions, I still kept it around because of all the work I had put into it.  Also, something else I kept and never got rid of was my Shield of the Silent Watch.  Because that quest felt like an epic.

In SWG, I had a blaster rifle that I'd made when I was just starting out, that was the first "master class" weapon I ever made there.  I kept that and hung it on my wall.

In EQ2, it was probably my Ghoulbane (from the Heritage quest).  Same deal.  Even after I stopped using it, it had an honored place on my wall.

In LOTRO, I never really got attached to a piece of gear.  Sure I had my legendaries, but they seemed like commodities because at the time (Moria expansion) you burned through a bunch of them to build the one you liked.

In EVE, my favorite item was my Macharial battleship.  I worked my butt off to be able to build it myself.  I kitted it out with all kinds of expensive things and very rarely flew it because I didn't want to lose it.

In Vanguard, I forget the name of it, but Nephele had an epic-class sword that she'd gotten out of an obscure 6-dot encounter.  As a disciple, the roleplayer in me seized on this.  Most of the time Nephele used a staff or fistwraps (because hey, martial artist).  But when she got angry (in character)?  That sword came out.

In FFXIV, I think I'm most proud of my zodiac relic weapon (from before the expansions).  Not only did I put a ton of work into getting, before Square Enix made it easier and easier with "tuning", but it also *still* looks amazing.

I should stop now.  I think that covers most of the major ones anyway :)

• 1120 posts
    June 29, 2018 7:25 PM PDT

wildenightwolf said:

Psssst... I'm such an acronym newb. For those of us who may have not played these games and/or did but never got to see the shiny things, could people maybe use the full names of the items or quest lines? :)

Breakdown in Communications.  Quest from eq1.  Go check it out :p

• 303 posts
    July 1, 2018 3:05 PM PDT

Rhok'delar Longbow of the Ancient Keepers when I played my hunter in wow vanilla.

To get the bow, one had to retrieve a leaf from one of the bosses in Molten Core which gave a quest to find "someone who might know" or whatever. It was the vaguest quest ever tbh, but in the end you turned it in (totally not after just looking online for the quest guy) and you were tasked with killing demons. There were 4 demons, all of which were in different areas of the world. I remember that you couldn't bring any friends, or even your own pet. If somebody else engaged the demon in combat (or healed/buffed you) during the fight, the demon would flee and some stronger demon would show up and make mince meat out of you. They all had different strategies to beat and had personal weakneses to the different hunter abilities. They also had long respawn timers iirc. It was very difficult for me as a 15 year old back then but maybe I just suck. I do remember a lot of people never being able to do it at all though.

The bow itself was a substantial upgrade for most hunters, beating other bows by probably 30% or so at its point in progression. Beyond that, when you saw another hunter with the bow, you knew they had done the quest as well. A rite of passage!

• 15 posts
    July 1, 2018 4:42 PM PDT
    Ahh I can't believe I forgot to post here. My favorite item was from the long drawn out Coldain Ring quest. I as a ranger was able to solo all of it for the 8th ring and actually began selling the Multi Quest to other people. It was the first time I was able to make money on my ranger. I completed my 9th ring, but never finished the 10th ring war. Though I helped many others complete it, I was never able to complete it for myself. To this day I still will randomly quote to my brothers or friends "The Dain shall be slain for the peace we must obtain". /memories
    • 10 posts
    July 2, 2018 5:19 AM PDT

Original EQ epics (especially my necro's) but pre nerf Manastone was uber as was FBSS on my SK hehe

• 239 posts
    July 2, 2018 10:26 AM PDT
    I don't know if it was the best... But I loved it. The Sanctum guardian earring from Skyshrine in EQ1. Was an ass whooping quest. Took many days. Many zones. Some solo some group, even the raided stuff was made to where a player not in a raid guild could get ( no drop item that usually rotted ) trade skills. And no fail safe on the combines. Could work a week and screw it up...trust me I know.
    The earring was not shamans main stat. But a good mix of everyrhing that helped make my shammy.
    That was one of my most memorable ones, guess cause it gave me the most heart ache. Lol