July 28, 2016 4:07 PM PDT

Isnt this considerd an exploit? 

Ox

• 781 posts
    July 28, 2016 8:39 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

Ox

That's kinda what I was saying.  If you are able to kite 10 mobs away from a boss, leaving him vulnerable, well that's not cool.  That's too easy  If your kiting and you fall through the floor in a dungeon, shouldn't the mob also fall, instead of pathing through the whole dungeon and bringing everything with it just to get to you, leaving that whole area clear for a team mate to pull a boss, too easy.

• 9115 posts
    July 29, 2016 2:54 AM PDT

Oxillion said:

Ox

Leashing and kiting are most definitely not exploits, they are developer created mechanics, both were in VG and played a vital part in gameplay.

• 613 posts
    July 29, 2016 9:23 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

Leashing and kiting are most definitely not exploits, they are developer created mechanics, both were in VG and played a vital part in gameplay.

I understand the kiting and action it does but this would allow people to run in and take a mob and leave the group or solo person standing there fighting trash mobs as some tool KS’s the mob. I can see the benefits of it but I question the mechanics of it. Surely, we can create a better system that basically says tag your it and run away.   I would think the AI and or mechanics around it would not be that simple.   Not complaining about but stating that is something I have experienced many times.   I guess it tells me no challenge just cheat the system.

Ox

• 1778 posts
    July 29, 2016 11:35 AM PDT
    I wouldn't say exploit. I would say I would like it if different groups of mobs or adds would work differently. Like not everything can be kited or kites safely (too fast or uses ranged attacks etc). But it also depends on how it's handled. Kirin in FFXI spawned 4 mini gods that had to be killed by pulling them to the side with 4 tanks while someone kited Kirin around the big room. At least til power creep made 2 min melee burns possibel.....
    • 279 posts
    July 29, 2016 11:37 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

I thought kiting was created via Emergent gameplay :p Sort of like Feign Death splitting.

• 184 posts
    July 29, 2016 12:55 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

I thought kiting was created via Emergent gameplay :p Sort of like Feign Death splitting.

Yep, it sure was...

• 753 posts
    July 29, 2016 3:18 PM PDT

I have not read the whole thread - but I've scanned it.

I'm OK with both, but I would prefer that the leashing be smart.  For example:

• If there is one mob that could probably be beaten by one player, it really shouldn't be chasing after a full group of players IF it is a mob that should know better.  There might be some mobs that are just that stupid.
    • On the other hand, a bunch of mobs migh chase a single player to the ends of the earth when they might have only chased a bunch of players for a short distance

In some areas, mobs should just chase you forever...

SLIGHTLY off topic (I hope nobody else has brought this up and already been told to stick ON topic) - If someone runs a mob right by me, and it stops chasing that person (or kills them), there should at least be a chance that it will stop on it's way back to it's home to try to kill me.

EDIT:  One more thing... I find it very annoying when I'm kiting and I kite a leashed mob a little too far.  Particularly when it happens just as I am about to finish an epic kill I shouldn't have been able to do.  If I've engaged it, I've engaged it.  I win, or I die.

This post was edited by Wandidar at July 29, 2016 3:20 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    July 29, 2016 6:30 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

Kilsin said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

I understand the kiting and action it does but this would allow people to run in and take a mob and leave the group or solo person standing there fighting trash mobs as some tool KS’s the mob. I can see the benefits of it but I question the mechanics of it. Surely, we can create a better system that basically says tag your it and run away.   I would think the AI and or mechanics around it would not be that simple.   Not complaining about but stating that is something I have experienced many times.   I guess it tells me no challenge just cheat the system.

Ox

Not all mobs will be "you tag it and run" some will call friends to aid them, some will root, summon or debuff/slow you, some will chase you to the end of the earth and some may be smart enough to stop chasing you and return to the safety of their home/camp/friends it will just depend on the situation, what mob it is and the area you are in.

KSing is something different altogether and will happen with or without leashing/kiting, there are ways to combat that too like locking the kill to the person who does the first 25% of damage or first to tag it or highest overall damage etc. but there will always be people who want to steal your stuff, kills, partner etc. and the more they do it the more of a negative impact it will have on their place within the community, the harder it will be to find groups or get any help, so the community can play a big part in mitigating that aspect.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at July 30, 2016 6:01 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    July 30, 2016 2:34 PM PDT

It would be a definite, next-gen AI thing for an MMO to have a mix of aggro 'functions' depending on the monster, the situation, the time of day even some randomness.

A guard should perhaps have a very short leash to his post (but also have an alarm to sound if you aggro him more than a couple times).

A wolf might track you a looong time.

A mercenary lose interest unless you have a price on your head.

A sneaky goblin might realise you are more powerful so follow you and wait until you are weakened to attack you.

A cowardly orc might run instantly and hide behind it's cheiftain.

No one-size-fits-all aggro mechanic, please.

• 9115 posts
    July 30, 2016 6:02 PM PDT

disposalist said:

It would be a definite, next-gen AI thing for an MMO to have a mix of aggro 'functions' depending on the monster, the situation, the time of day even some randomness.

A guard should perhaps have a very short leash to his post (but also have an alarm to sound if you aggro him more than a couple times).

A sneaky goblin might realise you are more powerful so follow you and wait until you are weakened to attack you.

If you noticed in our first stream the Orc Brad pulled blew Warhorn to alert the whole camp which trained him as we ran away! ;)

• 2419 posts
    July 30, 2016 6:37 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Do you prefer mob leashing or once you aggro a mob you either kill it, die or zone?

The optimal solution to nearly every question you ask about gameplay and various mechanics should be "yes, if it make sense for the situation."  Nothing exciting is ever 'either-or', 'this or that'.  It's about differences, nuances, unpredictability, challenge.  Knowing every mob everywhere leashes?  boring as %&@#.  Knowing all mobs chase you till you zone?  also boring as %&@#.  It the lazy answer to a fundamental game concept.

Until we encounter a creature, we should not know ahead of time what is in its mind on this question.  Yes, we can indeed extrapolate for previous experience with creatures of a similar broad kind (undead, animal, sentient non-societal being, sentient societal being, hive-mind creature, etc) but that creature in front of us?  There should always be that chance that their actions will surprise us.

• 107 posts
    July 30, 2016 7:09 PM PDT

exploit is a term i usually hear people use for their own purposes. the best definition i heard was 'using game mechanics in ways to get unintended, by the devs, advantages.'

however, then there is the whole point about what was intended, and thus if not specifically stated, is argued not an exploit.

i don't see why, if kiting is acceptable, using it to kill the boss while ignoring adds should not be. ultimately each are just proof of poor AI. personally i hope for good AI, but kiting did make it alot easier to get the KDQ kills for epics, if you had a computer that could handle the numbers.

as far as not knowing until we encounter a mob, the fact is, unless you are the first to kill a mob, you certainly will be able to know. and the first will likely be powerleveling guilds that i would expect to not be suprised by much. the internet is here, there will be maps and guides for everything on day 2. /shrug

• 86 posts
    July 31, 2016 5:06 PM PDT

Everquest was great because it commanded a grave fear of death, and respect for uncompromising mechanics.  One such mechanic was that if you aggroed a mob, it was now yours.  In other words if you break it, you buy it.    

Make it simple, cheap and easy.  Just follow everquests footsteps. You break it, you buy it.

If the zones are massive and leashes have to be implemented, make them big enough that they cant be depended upon. 

Related to leashing : Mobs shouldnt harmlessly run back to their spawn point, they should agro whomever is near.   Some of my fondest memories had to do with bad pulls and epic trains. Trains are great motivators for improving skill and establishing a pullers reputation.

This post was edited by Greattaste at August 1, 2016 3:51 AM PDT
    • 264 posts
    July 31, 2016 5:16 PM PDT

Greattaste said:

Everquest was great because it commanded a grave fear of death, and respect for uncomromising mechanics.  One such mechanic was that if you aggroed a mob, it was now yours.  In other words if you break it, you buy it.    

Make it simple, cheap and easy.  Just follow everquests footsteps. You break it, you buy it.

If the zones are massive and leashes have to be implemented, make them big enough that they cant be depended upon.

And there should be trains just like in EQ. Mobs shouldnt harmlessly run back to spawn, they should agro whomever is near.  Remember thr greatness of EQ.

You know, I am able to bend a bit in the wind of opinion, but I find this logic hard to argue with. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• 2756 posts
    August 1, 2016 6:05 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

disposalist said:

If you noticed in our first stream the Orc Brad pulled blew Warhorn to alert the whole camp which trained him as we ran away! ;)

Yes, indeed and I'm so looking forward to the next released session! It's that kind of EQ/VG feel but with added goodness that has me very excited about this game.

• 9115 posts
    August 1, 2016 6:12 AM PDT

disposalist said:

Kilsin said:

disposalist said:

Yes, indeed and I'm so looking forward to the next released session! It's that kind of EQ/VG feel but with added goodness that has me very excited about this game.

Glad you like it man :)

• 257 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:00 AM PDT

Kiting is by no means an exploit. In EQ, If the devs decided that kiting should not be an option, they simply gave those mobs the summon ability.

• 24 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:20 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I also think a combination is best, if we can evolve on what EQ and VG gave us (no leashing and leashing - both worked very well for each game) and have a system where an angry wolf or bear would chase you to the death but a city or town guard may be smart enough to realise they are leaving their town at a disadvantage and return after a short while we could have the best of both mechanics.

Someone made that same analogy on Twitter too which I thought was cool as that was my personal take on it ;)

I would agree to the combination idea. Free roaming mobs should chase you to the end of the earth. Names and trash alike. While stationary mobs guarding something or someone should leash so they don't leave their post duties.

• 781 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:23 AM PDT

Retsof said:

Kiting is by no means an exploit. In EQ, If the devs decided that kiting should not be an option, they simply gave those mobs the summon ability.

Thats right, i totally forgot about that, they were able to summon you.  

• 1714 posts
    August 1, 2016 12:42 PM PDT

My initial thought is that leashing with zones makes little sense. 

Additionally, how often was training mobs to zone really a viable option to get at a named mob? Even if you do plane of fear style pulling where a ranger tags mobs off a bards train pull, if the bard were to die or zone the ranger would have the aggro. It seems like a silly argument from an EQ perspective where there are a bunch of classes with mez and lull type abilities to begin with. There's plenty of content where mobs summon, or dispel or snare or nuke which makes this tactic unviable to begin with. I don't get what the big deal is. It's a tactic that works in some cases and not in others, and has significant risk associated with it. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at August 1, 2016 12:54 PM PDT
    • 205 posts
    August 2, 2016 8:07 AM PDT

I think the combo of leashing and those who do not leash is best. I truly want to hear a zone wide yell of "Chooooo chooooooooo!!!" and become hypervigilant lol - the memories of Karnor's castle just came to my mind.

• 334 posts
    • 470 posts
    November 11, 2017 3:42 PM PST

Retsof said:

Don't forget that some of them also had the option to root and snare you as well. Kiting was well and good but it also had it's risks. I went back to EQ after a looong break a while back and had completely forgotten that orc mystics could blind you and turn your entire screen black. Thought my monitor had blitzed out until I remembered, oh yeah. Those guys. That's something missed from many newer MMOs these days. That sort of mind-fudgery.

• 1281 posts
    November 11, 2017 3:57 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Oxillion said:

Kilsin said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

Ox

Not all mobs will be "you tag it and run" some will call friends to aid them, some will root, summon or debuff/slow you, some will chase you to the end of the earth and some may be smart enough to stop chasing you and return to the safety of their home/camp/friends it will just depend on the situation, what mob it is and the area you are in.

KSing is something different altogether and will happen with or without leashing/kiting, there are ways to combat that too like locking the kill to the person who does the first 25% of damage or first to tag it or highest overall damage etc. but there will always be people who want to steal your stuff, kills, partner etc. and the more they do it the more of a negative impact it will have on their place within the community, the harder it will be to find groups or get any help, so the community can play a big part in mitigating that aspect.

On this "chase you to the ends of the Earth"....  Does that mean that if you zone they will zone also?  That could get awesomely hairy fast....hehehehe