Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

To Inspect or Not to Inspect: What Say You?

• 63 posts
    April 6, 2016 9:28 AM PDT

One of my favorite things about EQ was slowly learning the stats and appearances for armor and weapons. I think we can all remember coming across players with fantastic gear and wondering how they got it and what it did. Inspecting was a feature that allowed you to peek at someone's gear roster - you could hover over items to see their stats. You would receive some flavor text informing you that Soandso was inspecting you, and that was about it.

Even though there were no in-game repercussions for the inspector or inspect-ee, peering at someone's gear quickly became faux pax. It was considered rude to inspect someone without asking permission. I remember this being a very divisive subject; some people would go out of their way to move out of inspection range if they hadn't given you permission to peek.

I personally enjoyed both inspecting and being inspected. Back in the day, my Cleric was decked out in PoH ethereal armor and I would get 5-10 inspects a day in the EC tunnels. I feel that it increased the propensity for social interactions since it forced me to respond to lowbie Clerics who wanted to know more about my "cool purple armor." I'm hoping to see player inspection again in Panth.

To inspect or not to inspect: what say you?

Talv

• 63 posts
    April 6, 2016 9:52 AM PDT

Optional toggle or not at all I would say.

• 148 posts
    April 6, 2016 10:01 AM PDT

The only time inspecting in EQ bothered me was when I was trying to move my camera in a 3rd person perspective and accidently inspected someone. I see no problem with it, especially with player based sites that display your gear (EQPlayers / VGPlayers / Magelo)

• 1778 posts
    April 6, 2016 10:04 AM PDT
    I would like it. But only on individual gear pieces at a time. No full gear inspection or any other stats.

As far as it being rude. It was divisive in XI too. US and EU folks were fine with it. But the Japanese considered it extremely rude. If course the devz could always not add the inspection text so its private and not something people can get offended over.
    • 63 posts
    April 6, 2016 10:12 AM PDT

Amsai said: I would like it. But only on individual gear pieces at a time. No full gear inspection or any other stats. As far as it being rude. It was divisive in XI too. US and EU folks were fine with it. But the Japanese considered it extremely rude. If course the devz could always not add the inspection text so its private and not something people can get offended over.

Interesting! I didn't realize that other cultures had different takes on it. I played on a US-based server, so I just assumed that everyone was from the States lol. Wasn't it possible to see the item's stats via inspection, or is my memory failing me?

Talv

• 1468 posts
    April 6, 2016 10:12 AM PDT

On my EQ server it was certainly considered rude to inspect people so I still have negative feelings about it. I don't really see the requirement to inspect people. If you are playing your class well and doing your job in a group then things should be OK regardless of what gear you have on.

• 93 posts
    April 6, 2016 10:48 AM PDT

I'm not a big fan of the inspect feature, or my gear being displayed on websites. If someone wants to know what I'm wearing they can ask me.

• 184 posts
    April 6, 2016 10:58 AM PDT

I always found it funny that players want to show-off/gloat about their leet gear, but are offended if anyone inspects them…wth?!?!? I think the whole “I feel violated” is stretched a little thin with that nonsense, but each to their own I suppose. I remember when I first played EQ as a Ranger and I came upon a seasoned Ranger who was wearing all Thorny Armor and I was in awe… I quickly hit inspect to check it out and immediately got a tell from “Her” that it was rude not to ask if I could inspect her equipment… I thought to myself “it’s a freaking game get over yourself”…. In truth does it matter if a person has permission to inspect, and if so then what’s the whole point of collecting and showing off gear if a person is going to be secretive about it??? /shakes head….

I say leave inspect in without any silly toggle...

This post was edited by Rint at April 6, 2016 2:29 PM PDT
    • 8 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:10 AM PDT

Yes, you have to have it. The only toggle should be identification of items. I have eyes, you shouldn't be able to block that. 

• 793 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:12 AM PDT

I never saw why it was considered rude, it didn't stop the person or interfere with them short of a little message in the the chat box "You are being inspected by xxxx"

Didn't EQ eventually add a toggle to allow your gear to inspected or not?

• 194 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:16 AM PDT
    Iirc, the toggle they put in switched whether or not right-clicking caused you to inspect other players. It was easy to do it by accident. I don't recall a toggle for allowing/disallowing others to inspect you though.
    • 154 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:17 AM PDT

jimm0thy said:

The only time inspecting in EQ bothered me was when I was trying to move my camera in a 3rd person perspective and accidently inspected someone. I see no problem with it, especially with player based sites that display your gear (EQPlayers / VGPlayers / Magelo)

This was the most annoying thing ever. To be following someone and end up inspecting them ever few steps if you did not have it toggled off or the keys re-maped.

• 556 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:20 AM PDT

Easy fix ... don't put a message that says someone is inspecting you. Then no one would know and no one would consider it 'rude' which is weird imo. Why is it rude to look at someones gear? Does it hurt you or something?

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:23 AM PDT

Zahlhedren said:

Optional toggle or not at all I would say.

I think inspecting is great because it encourages lower level players because they can see all of the cool items they can eventually acquire.

For people who don't like being inspected, as the OP said, simple toggle. 

• 194 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:32 AM PDT
    Occasionally you would bump into a griefer who would spam you with the messages, and I recall there being rumors that you could cause someone to LD by repeat-inspecting them, but I don't know if there was any truth to that. Mostly, I think some people just considered it a violation of personal space. I remember listening to an interesting article on VR once where they were eliciting feelings of jealousy in a couple by having someone get too close to one of the partners in a virtual space. To some degree we have instinctual knee-jerk reactions to things in the game space that are pretty silly when you take the time to think about them. Nevertheless, I thought it spoke volumes about the community when players respected other people's space just the same--most people would usually ask to inspect before they did. And I never came across anyone who wasn't more than happy to let someone else peek at their gear when asked.

• 21 posts
    April 6, 2016 11:47 AM PDT

I like how inspecting other peoples equipment works in FFXIV. No message is displayed and you don't have to be standing on top of the other player to do it.

I like inspecting other people just to see what they are wearing and in xiv it also shows what item is glamoured over the actual gear as well. XIV also has a 'try on' option that I quite like. What looks good on one race might not look cool on mine.

• 769 posts
    April 6, 2016 12:07 PM PDT

cram9030 said:

jimm0thy said:

This was the most annoying thing ever. To be following someone and end up inspecting them ever few steps if you did not have it toggled off or the keys re-maped.

Agreed. Also, when you're in a group, pulling fast, and trying to loot between quick pulls to clear out some corpses, but some jack is standing next to the corpse so you inspect them instead. That was exasperating. Give an option to turn off the inspection feature so that you can't interact that way with players if you choose not to.

Otherwise, I too remember the "rude vs not rude" debate. I like it. I like anything that creates a whole new dimension to a game, no matter how small it is. I think a virtual world that is so immersive and so real that little rules of etiquette like this pop up is amazing. I want to inspect people. I want people to inspect me. I want the text showing I'm getting inspected. I want the quirky little rules that say it's rude to not ask first. That's awesome. Don't change a thing.

-Tralyan

• 74 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:07 PM PDT

I like the inspect feature as leader of a raid guild, it'll be great advertising. I will be proudly not hiding my gear and talking to people who send tells about it (be it recruits, other raiders, etc).

• 59 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:23 PM PDT

This post was edited by Zathris at April 6, 2016 1:26 PM PDT
    • 59 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:23 PM PDT
    Awareness of being inspected by a chat box message is what drove the culture of asking for permission. In other games where inspection is silent, no one truly seems to be too bothered by someone being in close proximity it seems to me.
    • 363 posts
    April 6, 2016 2:02 PM PDT

It's easy to say "Why is it rude to inspect someone else?" Maybe they just don't like it?

A toggle that either allows or denies others to inspect you is perfectly reasonable. Both sides of the coin, no?

It never bothered me to be inspected, but I usually asked others before I did.

• 7 posts
    April 6, 2016 2:07 PM PDT

Zathris said: Awareness of being inspected by a chat box message is what drove the culture of asking for permission. In other games where inspection is silent, no one truly seems to be too bothered by someone being in close proximity it seems to me.

Agreed, add a toggle for the inspection notification instead. I can see a scenario where inspecting is needed as eventually there will be content that serves as a "gear check," and you'll want to know if that PUG cleric has enough gear to sustain healing through the fight.

• 184 posts
    April 6, 2016 2:30 PM PDT

Zathris said: Awareness of being inspected by a chat box message is what drove the culture of asking for permission. In other games where inspection is silent, no one truly seems to be too bothered by someone being in close proximity it seems to me.

Bingo... Simple enough fix...

• 1468 posts
    April 6, 2016 2:47 PM PDT

TheCleric said:

Agreed, add a toggle for the inspection notification instead. I can see a scenario where inspecting is needed as eventually there will be content that serves as a "gear check," and you'll want to know if that PUG cleric has enough gear to sustain healing through the fight.

I played EQ for over 5 years. Got Plane of Time flagged and did some high end Gates of Discord raids. Not once did I ever have to inspect someone to check their gear for a group.

• 453 posts
    April 6, 2016 2:58 PM PDT

I agree with that there should be a /toggle on or off. It's a nice feature though, I am in favor of it being in game.