Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

New EQ progression server vote

• April 8, 2015 10:52 AM PDT

While I will still play on this server (in 'Brains and Brawn' or a pantheon guild :) ), I don't like the marketplace being available there.  It also sounds as if XP potions will be sold to the progression server.  

Thoughts?

• 133 posts
    April 8, 2015 11:53 AM PDT
    Borumber said:
    Anyone actually going to play? I want to join up with some pantheon folks. If anyone wants to get rolling I am game. Just shoot me a friend invite and pm.

I will be there, with soem RL friends.  I am also sending out info to all former Brains and Brawn members from VG.  Pantheon supporters are welcome of course.

• 133 posts
    April 8, 2015 12:22 PM PDT
    BloodbeardBattlecaster said:

While I will still play on this server (in 'Brains and Brawn' or a pantheon guild :) ), I don't like the marketplace being available there.  It also sounds as if XP potions will be sold to the progression server.  

Thoughts?

I hate the idea of the market place as well, but reality is Daybreak needs to make money, no money no more Daybreak.

I am also not a fan of XP pots on the Progression server, however I did make  apost on the thread where the DEVS are asking about what to have on the market place.

I am stealing Vaclav's post, and just updating my thoughts, hope you don't mind dude, thought it was well done.

XP potions - I would like not to see such things, however what others do that does not directly adversely affect my enjoyment isn't really my concern, I just feel that its a train for disaster, one that most do not quite understand. If we get a 8yr server, do you really want to race to 50? So after week 2 what will people do other than whine about unlock times? Consider the time to sit at 50 before you get new content. I suspect the almighty dollar will drive this, and we will see them.

Illusions - Statless ones, yes. There is no gameplay effect or advantage, and if you want to wander the land in a cool form that makes you happy, who am I to say any different.

Petamorph - Again don't really care here, it is unlikely I will partake, unless I can get the "Smed" form for a pet, only issue there is I will spend all my game time sending my pet on suicide pulls. :) So keep that one out please.

Hero's Forge - Don't use it, nor do I care, again if it makes people happy and have fun with no play to win effect? I am all for it.

Appearance augs for weapons/shields - Why not? See fun/happy and no play to win effect.

Bought titles - Why not? See fun/happy and no play to win effect.

Bags - I hate this idea, it destroys the value of looted and crafted bags. In game marketplace should never have gameplay affecting items, ever. In my humble opinion any way.

Race/Gender/Name changes - Um indifferent, though I am not a big fan of name changes, but if griefers have endless real life cash, maybe their jerkoffery can help support the game.

My take in general is to ask a simple question, if it is answered with "Yes" then do not have it on marketplace, if the answer is "No", then it is fine.

"Does this item affect gameplay or a play to win item that gives even the smallest real advantage over a character with out it?"

^^This lst line sums up how I personally feel about an in game market place.  I realize that business needs to make money, and that with out revenue there are o games no jobs, no nothing.  So I try to temper that with a little caution and restraint.

This post was edited by Exmortis at April 9, 2015 7:57 AM PDT
    • 318 posts
    April 8, 2015 6:08 PM PDT

If they have the cash shop on the progression server at launch that will probably be a deal breaker for me. How do they expect to recreate the magic of original EQ with a cash shop included? Next they'll be saying they're going to get rid of corpse runs!

The progression servers require an active subscription, shouldn't that be enough to cover costs? All marketplace items (including exp potions, ect) should be released at the unlock of whatever expansion they were first introduced. Not a moment before IMO.

This post was edited by Wellspring at April 9, 2015 7:57 AM PDT
    • 318 posts
    April 8, 2015 6:15 PM PDT
    Exmortis said:
    ..... Snip Snip ......

My take in general is to ask a simple question, if it is answered with "Yes" then do not have it on marketplace, if the answer is "No", then it is fine.

"Does this item affect gameplay or a play to win item that gives even the smallest real advantage over a character with out it?"

^^This lst line sums up how I personally feel about an in game market place.  I realize that business needs to make money, and that with out revenue there are o games no jobs, no nothing.  So I try to temper that with a little caution and restraint.

Can SOE/Daybreak really be trusted to make that distinction? After all, look at what they did with H1Z1, after saying there would be nothing in the cash shop that was P2W and then one of the first things in the cash shop was the P2W airdrops.

• April 9, 2015 7:56 AM PDT

Nice post, Exmortis.   Wellspring, I am concerned because of your second post.

Here is my take on the xp pots, bags, or any other PTW items (posted on the eq forums)... 

"Honestly, to have the SC store on the progression server is odd to me. Why not just roll a brand new character on a regular server, not twink it with gold or gear, only play the zones which your guild/group wishes to play for the 'old days' feel, and destroy any loot not of the era chosen to play? Adding even XP potions to the progression server makes it similar to what I've just described, with small differences of course. Anyway, that's just my thinking. :)"

I don't care about cosmetic stuff.  But, for xp pots, bags, mounts, or other things to be sold on a progression server completely boggles my mind.   It shouts "We want money.  We only care about money. We don't give a hoot about the strong, loyal, paying customer base which has followed this game since 1999, continuing to make it profitable 16 years later."  Yes, Daybreak is a company wanting to make money.  I have a bad feeling they have already set a hard, or at least semi-hard, closing date for EQ.  The closing will come quicker as they make decisions like this marketplace on a progression server, because they will actually get fewer people to come back and start up their sub.  They are not about just making a profit.  They are about making a certain level of profit.

On a side note, Exmortis,  is there a website I can learn about Brains and Brawn?  I believe I would like to join up when it all gets going.

This post was edited by BloodbeardBattlecaster at April 9, 2015 7:56 AM PDT
  • April 16, 2015 3:04 PM PDT

A new poll is available now.

Edit for clarity -   The poll contents are available on the Everquest TLP forums.  It will be in game soon.

This post was edited by BloodbeardBattlecaster at April 16, 2015 3:36 PM PDT
    • 318 posts
    April 16, 2015 4:57 PM PDT

A new poll is available now.

Edit for clarity -   The poll contents are available on the Everquest TLP forums.  It will be in game soon.

Here's the link for anyone having trouble finding it like I did:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/new-progression-server-faq-and-upcoming-poll-details.219588/

• 12 posts
    April 16, 2015 6:17 PM PDT
    I'd like to ask this as well. I've got a few RL friends that I've talked in to starting on the progression server but not enough to start a guild and keep it going.

On a side note, Exmortis,  is there a website I can learn about Brains and Brawn?  I believe I would like to join up when it all gets going.

This post was edited by SynMonger at April 16, 2015 6:19 PM PDT
    • 39 posts
    April 25, 2015 7:44 PM PDT

I've just turned my All Access Pass back on.  I will be playing on the progression server when it comes out.  Currently I am playing on P99.  I would definitely like to join up with some Pantheon people when the server goes live.  Need to pass the time before pre-alpha.  :)

• 7 posts
    April 30, 2015 7:00 PM PDT

I might give this progression server a go. Wouldn't mind boxing a necro and mage like I did for a while until I quit a few years ago (about leve 90 or so I think).

• 133 posts
    May 4, 2015 1:20 PM PDT
    SynMonger said:
    I'd like to ask this as well. I've got a few RL friends that I've talked in to starting on the progression server but not enough to start a guild and keep it going.

http://brainsandbrawn.guildlaunch.com/

Still seeing how many are interested in EQ progression.

I think we have about 6 to 10 for sure, but I always find people say "not interested" thenjust like ESO a month later their is a bunch fo them in playing LOL. As long as I can get enough to start the guild I will build it from there.

• May 5, 2015 7:46 AM PDT

I applied and am looking forward to the new TLP server.

Edit*   Exmortis, are you planning on jumping into the beta for the server?

This post was edited by BloodbeardBattlecaster at May 5, 2015 7:47 AM PDT
    • 180 posts
    May 9, 2015 9:03 AM PDT

I'll be playing on the new server and looking for a group.

• 84 posts
    May 12, 2015 9:50 AM PDT

When does the new server open? I'd like to join a PROTF guild. I'll play just about whatever to round out a group.

• 318 posts
    May 12, 2015 9:55 AM PDT
    Nydan said:

When does the new server open? I'd like to join a PROTF guild. I'll play just about whatever to round out a group.

The live progression server opens May 20th. Currently, there is a beta server that is open for testing.