Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

New EQ progression server vote

• 12 posts
    March 23, 2015 12:18 PM PDT

I logged in and voted for slower progression. How long is the survey open?

• 29 posts
    March 23, 2015 12:30 PM PDT

They said the survey stops somewhere around the 25th march.

The Server will come in Summer one of the devs said

• 23 posts
    March 23, 2015 4:45 PM PDT
    Raidan said:

I played on Fippy when it was released, but the closest replication of the progression server I've found is P1999 still.  Unless they could recapture the old code and implement EQlaunch, there were too many game changing items still left in the progression servers (like the Blackened Alloy Bastard Sword/Long Sword).

With that said.... I voted slow progression for you and enjoy! (they're still much better than EQlive)

what would be awesome would hear DBG approached P1999 to buy their cleaned up code for classic :)

• 70 posts
    March 23, 2015 5:04 PM PDT

I do sometimes wonder if they have ever approached Nilbog and offered him a job.  Those guys do a pretty good job recreating memories as a hobby.  I'm sure they could do even better were it a career.

• 201 posts
    March 24, 2015 6:10 AM PDT

They should,  My experience with Emu were loads better then after pop non sense I experienced.

• March 25, 2015 1:48 PM PDT
    Exmortis said:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/in-game-progression-server-poll-feb-2015.218117/

Please log in your old SOE account to EQ and cast your vote for slow progression server pls.

Brains and Brawn will be on this slow server upon release.

See you all there, Pantheon members will be offered instant membership to my guild...... Well except Kilsin.

I do have a shred of a reputation to consider.

I'll vote as soon as I get home providing the poll is still available.  Wish I had seen this earlier, and I will be looking for you in game come summer time :)

• March 29, 2015 1:12 PM PDT

Slow progression server won, and now comes the discussion (on the EQlive forums) and then more voting perhaps?  I'm not sure on that part.  I would love to see them bring a server, or two, up soon.

• 753 posts
    March 29, 2015 3:18 PM PDT

Not the option I was rooting for.  I wanted one that would progress to a certain point and stop - particularly if it had stopped at Velious.

• 31 posts
    March 29, 2015 10:21 PM PDT

yeah now it going into the second phase and they will be starting polls soon on the specifics like time frames and server name 

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/progression-server-poll-results-whats-next.219080/

• 201 posts
    March 30, 2015 6:50 AM PDT
    1. The server is opened with the base game unlocked. Once players complete all of the progression tasks (things like killing Nagafen and Vox), a timer starts. When the timer ends, a vote will pop up allowing the server to unlock the next expansion.

Based on what players?  The first players to kill them?  So if we have a Hardcore team, they are going to rush it along for everyone?

1. For Original EverQuest, Ruins of Kunark, and Scars of Velious, the unlock timer is 3 months. For every expansion after that, the unlock timer is 2 months.

Can't we just stop at SoV or even Luc?  I don't want PoP.

• 12 posts
    March 30, 2015 9:00 AM PDT
    Rivacom said:
    1. The server is opened with the base game unlocked. Once players complete all of the progression tasks (things like killing Nagafen and Vox), a timer starts. When the timer ends, a vote will pop up allowing the server to unlock the next expansion.

Based on what players?  The first players to kill them?  So if we have a Hardcore team, they are going to rush it along for everyone?

1. For Original EverQuest, Ruins of Kunark, and Scars of Velious, the unlock timer is 3 months. For every expansion after that, the unlock timer is 2 months.

Can't we just stop at SoV or even Luc?  I don't want PoP.

If that guild has the majority of active players within 20 levels of the cap, I guess so.

• 133 posts
    March 30, 2015 9:25 AM PDT

I have to say what is impressing me the most is the amount of direction the EQ player community has in this whole process.  We can whine about the servers released, but end of day we spoke, we set the winner of the poll.  Now my server choice won, but it could have just as easily lost, but either way we as players have spoken.  I suspected as much as well, for all the smoke the EQ hardcore raiders have blown up your south pole over their dominance, this proves that to be just that, smoke, as I suspected all along.

The casual players have spoken, for all that voted please be prepared to vote again when the rule defining poll is released.  Very rare do we as players get empowered with this level of input, lets use it.  I ask all vote, even those that disagree with me, but especially those that will vote with me! :)

The key moving forward was this in that post:

Options for the New Server

Time to be Locked

As stated above, the current progression server waits 2 or 3 months before the next expansion can unlock. This time is arbitrary and can be adjusted by any amount. Here are some options we've thought of for the new one:

Half Speed (Slowest): We take the original time between expansions and cut it in half. Ruins of Kunark came out 13 months and 8 days after EverQuest, so the progression server would wait 6 months and 19 days before Ruins of Kunark could be unocked. This means that it would take 8 years from the time we open the server for it to catch up to where live servers are now.

1. Kunark: 6.75 months
      2. Velious: 3.75 months
      3. Luclin: 6 months
      4. Planes of Power: 5.5 months
        1. Legacy of Ykesha: 4 weeks after PoP
        2. LDoN: 10 weeks after PoP
      5. Gates: 7.75 months (after PoP)
      6. Omens: 3.5 months
      7. DoN: 2.5 months
      8. Depths: 3.5 months
      9. PoR: 2.75 months
      10. TSS: 3.5 months
      11. TBS: 2.5 month
    Maximum Nostalgia: 6 month unlocks until Gates of Discord; 3 months afterward. This ruleset would take six and a half years to reach where live servers are now.
      1. Kunark: 6 months
      2. Velious: 6 months
      3. Luclin: 6 months
      4. Planes of Power: 6 months
        1. Legacy of Ykesha: 2 weeks after PoP
        2. LDoN: 4 weeks after PoP
      5. Gates: 6 months (after PoP)
      6. Omens and later: 3 months
    Add 50%: Take the old values and add 50%. This server would take five and a half years to reach where live servers are now.
    1. Kunark: 4.5 months
    2. Velious: 4.5 months
    3. Luclin: 4.5 months
    4. Planes of Power: 4.5 months
      1. Legacy of Ykesha: 3 weeks after PoP
      2. LDoN: 3 weeks after PoP
    5. Gates: 3 months (after PoP)
    6. Omens and later: 3 months

Just about everything is malleable here, so let us know what you like, and offer suggestions for other ways to split the time. Once we get a general feeling for what you would like we'll put up another poll for everyone to vote on.

Vote or No Vote

The biggest feature of the current progression servers is the fact that the players vote on whether to unlock the next expansion or not. The good thing about this is that the server progresses at a pace decided by the majority. The bad thing about this is that sometimes the people who enable progression can't enjoy the results of that progress until the rest of the server is ready.

Another issue, one that has a technical basis, is that polls are not dynamic enough to start the instant an expansion should be available and go on for an arbitrary time. They have to be static on pre-determined dates, and in order to ensure that everyone has at least one week to vote they can sometimes delay an expansion's opening by almost 3 weeks.

So, essentially, the question is: do you want to allow votes under the current system, or simply unlock the next expansion after the locked time period has passed?

What's In a Name

Finally, we need a name for the new server. This name has to be completely unique across all Daybreak Games. We can't use names that have been used before in EverQuest or EverQuest II, nor can we use names from Landmark. Here are some dragon names we like, but if you've got names you like better, we would love to hear them. We'll put this in a poll as well unless there's a clear consensus here.

• Wuoshi
    • Yelinak
    • Vyemm
    • Faydedar
    • Gorenaire
    • Sontalak
    • Aaryonar
    • Phara`Dar
    • Zlandicar
    • Ragefire
    • Dozekar
    • Kerafyrm
    • Severilous
    • Klandicar

Coming Soon

From the feedback we get from all of you here, and on places like Facebook and Reddit, we feel like we're headed in the right direction. We're after a rule set that will work for the biggest part of our player population that is looking for a new progression server. We will be starting polls in the game relating to these questions in the near future.

This post was edited by Exmortis at March 30, 2015 9:28 AM PDT
    • 318 posts
    March 30, 2015 9:57 AM PDT

I agree with the outcome of the vote. The server should progress slowly, but it never completely stop at a certain expansion.

• 133 posts
    March 30, 2015 1:32 PM PDT
    Wellspring said:

I agree with the outcome of the vote. The server should progress slowly, but it never completely stop at a certain expansion.

My next vote is tough, do I want the 8 year version or the 6.5 year version.  I am here to state I doubt I will play for 6 or 8 years, Pantheon will release and steal me away before then.  However The longer it takes to get to GoD the better.  Though I feel PoP pretty much destroyed everything that was the best about EQ and trivialized %75 of the game world, it also had some great fun grouping zones.  If they just could have not made PoK and the porters, and of course made PC use the same XP table as all the previous zones PoP could have rivaled Velious for 2nd place in all expansions.

Now things may change from feed back in that thread, I will post there as well.  It will be very interesting to see what comes out of the next  vote for a final rule set.

And I need an MMO to play until Pantheon release.

• 25 posts
    March 30, 2015 2:04 PM PDT

PoP was pretty amazing if you were in a strong raiding guild. Surprised so many people here didn't enjoy it. Almost everyone I know loved it.

• 201 posts
    March 31, 2015 6:18 AM PDT
    Thakorr said:

PoP was pretty amazing if you were in a strong raiding guild. Surprised so many people here didn't enjoy it. Almost everyone I know loved it.

I don't think it was the content that people hated, but the portals.  It ruined a lot of mystery and travel for adventures.  Not to mentioned ruined the economy for druids and wizards.  The nexus was like a kidney punch put the Portals were the finally knock out punch.  I know a lot of people who sent feedback to SoE to take them out pre releasing the expansion and when they didn't, just decided to leave.

As for the time frame,  I don't think it matters a ton.  Like you said, let's hope Pantheon is out by 6.5 years(heck who knows if EQ will still be around in 6.5 years).

• 753 posts
    March 31, 2015 7:12 AM PDT
    Rivacom said:
    Thakorr said:

I don't think it was the content that people hated, but the portals.  It ruined a lot of mystery and travel for adventures.  Not to mentioned ruined the economy for druids and wizards.  The nexus was like a kidney punch put the Portals were the finally knock out punch.  I know a lot of people who sent feedback to SoE to take them out pre releasing the expansion and when they didn't, just decided to leave.

As for the time frame,  I don't think it matters a ton.  Like you said, let's hope Pantheon is out by 6.5 years(heck who knows if EQ will still be around in 6.5 years).

In some regard I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say that PoP travel trivialized travel to any greater degree than druid or wizard travel did.  For example, say you wanted to go to the burning woods... how would you get there?

Well - if you took druid or wizard travel, you would have ported into the dreadlands on the lost valley side of the zone, run half way across the dreadlands and to the burning woods zone line.... with PoP travel, you take the portal to the other end of the dreadlands (in the tunnel between there and FV) - you run half way across the dreadlands to the burning woods zone line.

In actual TRAVEL - I don't think PoP made a huge difference.  Where it made a difference is that it took community out of travel.  Was it sometimes time consuming to find someone to port you - did you sometimes need to make the choice just to run somewhere if you couldn't find a port from a druid or a wizard?  Yes.... did you sometimes pay for ports... yes...  but that whole process entailed talking to (or trying to talk to) people.

Once the ports came in - you no longer had to interact with the community for that aspect of the game.

The same held true for the transition from East Commonlands to the Bazaar for trading... in that switch, you could still buy and sell stuff... you just no longer had to talk to people to do it.

In any event - back on topic... I was really hoping for one that got stuck in Velious.  Not because I didn't want to hit PoP - but because I loved the velious era.

• 14 posts
    March 31, 2015 9:32 AM PDT
    Wandidar said:

Not the option I was rooting for.  I wanted one that would progress to a certain point and stop - particularly if it had stopped at Velious.

Well P1999 is just about to launch the Velious expansion, they said in the beginning of March the they were in the last stages of beta testing it, so there u go. =)

This post was edited by Westermann at March 31, 2015 9:32 AM PDT
    • 148 posts
    March 31, 2015 9:42 AM PDT
    Wandidar said:

In some regard I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say that PoP travel trivialized travel to any greater degree than druid or wizard travel did.  For example, say you wanted to go to the burning woods... how would you get there?

Well - if you took druid or wizard travel, you would have ported into the dreadlands on the lost valley side of the zone, run half way across the dreadlands and to the burning woods zone line.... with PoP travel, you take the portal to the other end of the dreadlands (in the tunnel between there and FV) - you run half way across the dreadlands to the burning woods zone line.

In actual TRAVEL - I don't think PoP made a huge difference.  Where it made a difference is that it took community out of travel.  Was it sometimes time consuming to find someone to port you - did you sometimes need to make the choice just to run somewhere if you couldn't find a port from a druid or a wizard?  Yes.... did you sometimes pay for ports... yes...  but that whole process entailed talking to (or trying to talk to) people.

Once the ports came in - you no longer had to interact with the community for that aspect of the game.

The same held true for the transition from East Commonlands to the Bazaar for trading... in that switch, you could still buy and sell stuff... you just no longer had to talk to people to do it.

In any event - back on topic... I was really hoping for one that got stuck in Velious.  Not because I didn't want to hit PoP - but because I loved the velious era.

I'd have to agree, I know a lot of people dislike PoP based on the portals but it didn't really hurt travel any more than druid/wiz ports. Yes it took the community out of travel , and took a means away from druids and wizards to make money which I always felt was unfair , but overall I enjoyed the expansion. What I didn't like was GoD and everything after, which is when I stopped playing.

I do plan to play on the new progression server when it launches but not after Pantheon does 

• 133 posts
    March 31, 2015 1:16 PM PDT
    Thakorr said:

Indeed PoP has some great raid and group content, of that there is no question, I seriously enjoyed much of it.  However that still does not remove the effect it had on the game:

-  PoK trivialized every city and every outpost, thats a hug amount of the game right there.  So every racial city went from important and still used to ghost town, that many players never saw.  Stupid stupid stupid design, to this day I would love to get the thought process on that one.

-  Paludal Caverns trivialized every XP zone from 10-40 by having triple the XP and easy solo pulls.  Once again that represteed almost 75% of the game.  Stupid stupid stupid design no matter how you look at it, I don't even want to know the thought process, it will just make me bleed out my ears.

-  Portal books, it has nothing to do with druid/wizzy economy I refused to pay for mana by demand.  To date a wizzy never even asked me to pay for a port ever, even a translocate, the druids demanded money and a freebie in return, like free clarity, but screamed bloody murder when I demanded money for it, "But its just mana".."So is a port nature boy...".  What PoP did was it trivialized travel, now you could go from neriak to great divide in a few seconds, man did the world ever get small then.  This inturn trivialized much of the game itself. 

**Sidenote**Never once did a wizzy ever port me with out a gift, druids who only asked for a donation, port was free also got one.

-  PoK had every research, quested spell for sale.  Come on, what a way to destroy a big part of the game leading up to PoP.  Part of the control on arcane casters was spell research, and mages had to work hard to get some spells in some difficult places; in case you were wondering I played Mage and Wizzy from before Velious, so I did and loved this aspect of the game.  I played a chantie some but not to the same extent.  Also Sk was in this boat with some Necro spells.  Of course PoP came and just handed it all over, so every one just went from PoK to PC and back for 40 levels.......YaY?!!!??!!??

PoP represents some of the great XP zones, but all of the worst changes to EQ in my opinion as well.  Luclin was the warm up, PoP was the firey flaming whirlwind.  And we reaped it.

• 25 posts
    March 31, 2015 1:20 PM PDT

After a couple years of "meaningful travel" I felt like it was a welcomed change of pace. No sense in making the same run for the 9000th time when you just want to meet up with some friends.

• 133 posts
    March 31, 2015 1:23 PM PDT
    Westermann said:
    Wandidar said:

Well P1999 is just about to launch the Velious expansion, they said in the beginning of March the they were in the last stages of beta testing it, so there u go. =)

I would have played P1999 I think, if they didnt have the single worst EQ mechanic, Racial and class XP biffs.  What a gfreat design, lets make classes and races a bit unbalanced but biff them XP, then spend the next few years balancing them over player whines to then realize"XP biffs are not fair" and remove them.  WORSE they affected the whole group not just the character, yep I would have quit EQ pretty early on if I did not play with friends that didnt care my DE SK brought XP biffs, we just had fun together.  Countles groups refused me over it, which why I had a mage and wizzy as well.

Still remember the original text of the Necromancer "They will envy and fear your power" but what should been put there is "They will envy and fear your power, until we stripe you and them of XP, at whch time they will refuse to group with you, then whine like little children until we stripe you of your power too."

This post was edited by Exmortis at March 31, 2015 1:24 PM PDT
    • 133 posts
    March 31, 2015 1:31 PM PDT
    Thakorr said:

After a couple years of "meaningful travel" I felt like it was a welcomed change of pace. No sense in making the same run for the 9000th time when you just want to meet up with some friends.

When they added horses, thats what I call proper handlign of travel, I loved how vanguard did it in the old days, every 10 levels you could hand in your horse for a faster mount.  Each time you sol dit for what you paid for it, then paid the extra for newer better horse.  This helped exactly the point you make, and I do agree with y ou, I just did not like the PoK port solution. 

• 49 posts
    March 31, 2015 7:54 PM PDT
    Anyone actually going to play? I want to join up with some pantheon folks. If anyone wants to get rolling I am game. Just shoot me a friend invite and pm.
    • 201 posts
    April 2, 2015 6:17 AM PDT

PoP not hindering Travel?  It hindered it a lot.  There were more portals in PoP then there there was druid and wizard spells.  Also,  the druid / wizard ports were a huge part of the social/economical ground in EQ.  It's like saying everyone can cast Clarity now.  Would that not hinder a huge spell for enchanters?