Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Once Again Graphics Style...

• 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 5:33 AM PST
    My original post is about the current style of graphics of the current screen shot posts. I was requesting people to critique the art we are given. I should know, I wrote the original post.

There is nothing in that post by Atarius that is critiquing the graphics on the main site, or its style or how to improve the moodiness of those graphics; it is off topic.

There is nothing in any of my posts that are personal attacks. You might not like what I have said, but there is nothing in there that is attacking you personally. Once again, just saying it doesn't make it so.

PLEASE. Get this thread back on topic, which is a critique of the graphics presented to us on the web site under the Media/Screenshots section of the main site: Media – Pantheon – Rise Of The Fallen (pantheonmmo.com)

Thank you!
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 7:58 AM PST
    • 194 posts
    November 14, 2023 6:00 AM PST
    WHO ARE YOU to tell them that their idea about niche art contrasting with modern game art which is the problem they have with Pantheon isn't on-topic? That's their opinion on the graphics style.
    This post was edited by justdrop at November 14, 2023 6:01 AM PST
    • 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 7:34 AM PST
    justdrop said:
    WHO ARE YOU to tell them that their idea about niche art contrasting with modern game art which is the problem they have with Pantheon isn't on-topic? That's their opinion on the graphics style.

Well for one, its the post I started with the intent to talk about the graphics, specifically. Two it is about addressing the perception about the graphics being too friendly. Three, it is not about any other topic. If you want to create a thread topic about RPGs and MMORPGs being niche or not, have at it.

WHO AM I? I am the person who asked to get comments regarding the art provided. I am not the person who asked about niche genres. The thread is about the graphics provided and what is specifically jarring about those graphics. I mean, I cannot be much clearer. Whether mmorpgs are niche or not, whether the style is niche or not, whether my opinions are niche or not, is NOT the point of this thread. Ok?

LMAO JustDrop; in your own words, "I encourage you to get back on topic". THANK YOU!
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 8:06 AM PST
    • 369 posts
    November 14, 2023 7:53 AM PST

chenzeme said: And still it is unconstructive grumbles that do nothing for anyone. You have made your point, you don't like the graphics and are not prepared to do anything else. You are heard. Shees!

They let me convey my displeasure with the direction of the art.

• 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 7:56 AM PST
    arazons said:

chenzeme said: And still it is unconstructive grumbles that do nothing for anyone. You have made your point, you don't like the graphics and are not prepared to do anything else. You are heard. Shees!

Yep! Well pointed out. And you are not the only displeased person.
    • 1019 posts
    November 14, 2023 7:57 AM PST
    chenzeme said:
    arazons said:

Yep! Well pointed out. And you are not the only displeased person.

Include me on this.

• 173 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:02 AM PST
    @chenzeme: I want to thank you for keeping on focus about your concern for the direction PantheonMMO is heading. I have been supporting this game since 2017 and I still want Pantheon to succeed. I have many of the same concerns you have. I have tried to be constructive about it, but the forum experience since September 2023 has been a nightmare. Even some mods have been aggressive and discounting real concerns. So just know chenzeme, as you are fighting off many people telling you that your opinion doesn't matter or just trying to prove you wrong in whatever way they can, there are others like me that appreciate you speaking up for us! chenzeme, you are appreciated! Sorry for being off topic. I would love if they had a thumbs up feature for a post.
    • 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:04 AM PST
    NegativeNRG: Sorry for being off topic. I would love if they had a thumbs up feature for a post. Ha, ha ha. Thank you and you are forgiven laughing
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 8:05 AM PST
    • 80 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:14 AM PST
    Prevenge said: I mean yea, even if you go back to the first streams of Cohh playing a rogue back in 2016, I think the majority of this community would have preferred those graphics, to these new hand painted graphics. But did you ever try EQ Landmark? It looked pretty similar to the new art style and I found EQ Landmark quite immersive. I was featured on an EQLandmark website for one of my house designs up on a hill. I was very much addicted to playing that game every free minute I had. I think given the chance and some time, VR will start to show off some content that will be closer in line with people's expectations, versus the god awful 5 minute reveal video. Will it be as good as what it would have been in realistic graphics? Of course not. But I think it will still end up being immersive. The rest of what you said, I simply can't agree with. The art style change doesn't signify the entire game is going to change to "match" the new art style. Whatever that actually means. The new art style might appeal to a very small amount of people from the newer generation. But almost none of today's "kids" (if that's what you're referring to, by broader audience in this example) have 0 interest in an oldschool tab-target MMORPGs created in the spirit of EQ1. They never will. They don't have the attention span required for an MMORPG.
    You realize Landmark was a colossal failure right? It's actually a cautionary tale for Pantheon, as one of it's reasons for failure was the identity crisis of Landmark vs. EQNext, which is entirely applicable to what Pantheon is doing with 247 extraction mode. Pantheon did a complete art rework, 10 years into development, right when they started a new game mode that happens to perfectly compliment that new art. The amount of people pretending this isn't a giant red flag, is too damn high.
    • 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:25 AM PST
    Its amazing how much energy people put into telling everyone how bad the situation is, but cannot be bothered to get to the nitty-gritty of what they don't like and suggest fixes to make it better. I guess that takes more effort and thought.

There is no pretence here. This thread is very specific in subject (even I am finding it difficult to find new ways of saying that!). There are plenty of current threads where you can doom and gloom as much as you like. The one thread here? This specific thread. The one you are reading is about the art work and its cuteness and what to do to make it less so. That is all.
    • 369 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:32 AM PST

chenzeme said: Its amazing how much energy people put into telling everyone how bad the situation is, but cannot be bothered to get to the nitty-gritty of what they don't like and suggest fixes to make it better. I guess that takes more effort and thought. There is no pretence here. This thread is very specific in subject (even I am finding it difficult to find new ways of saying that!). There are plenty of current threads where you can doom and gloom as much as you like. The one thread here? This specific thread. The one you are reading is about the art work and its cuteness and what to do to make it less so. That is all.

The graphics are horrible. Too low end. They look like they were made for a knockoff of Fortnite. Making it grittier and darker will not help with the low poly hand drawn aesthetics. With regards to a 247 extraction mode. People did not ask for this, nor are they receiving it well. It has been criticized up and down the avenue of public opinion here. What more do you want? We've told them in a resounding voice, "no please stop and make the game we backed" and your over here telling people they cant be critical of it without providing a fully planned out alternative to each criticism. I get that you feel people should be more constructive as people holding up a stop sign and saying go back, is apparently not enough for you.

• 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:41 AM PST
    arazons: and your over here telling people they cant be critical of it without providing a fully planned out alternative to each criticism

Yeah, and you know that is not what I have said. If you cannot critique the graphic screen shots VR have provided and why they don't work, then this is not the thread for you. I have stated more than enough times what this specific thread is about. If you cannot keep to the subject, why do you insist on regurgitating the same spiel over and over? Yes. WE ALL KNOW, you HATE the current version of the game. Yes we all know you don't want to lift a finger to try to move it in another direction. My god!

arazons: is apparently not enough for you

You are 100% right, this rant and your continued ranting is not enough for me or this thread. Glad you are noticing.

A critique is a detailed analysis and assessment of something; evaluate in a detailed and analytical way.

A criticism is a list of faults of something specified in a disapproving way.

I am critiquing, you are criticising. They are different.
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 8:53 AM PST
    • 369 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:17 AM PST

That's fine, I will just stay out of your topics from now on. And will ignore you on any other topics. Enjoy your echo chamber.

• 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:18 AM PST
    Appreciated arazons. Much appreciated.