Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Does it really matter?

• 9115 posts
    July 2, 2018 3:57 AM PDT

Does your playstyle depend on your character or do you play the same way on all characters no matter what class/race? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 644 posts
    July 2, 2018 5:25 AM PDT

Well, I suppose you need to first define what you mean by "playstyle".

If we are talking about how, me (the human behind the keyboard) plays, then I would say I play the same way.  I approach the game time the same, I play with the same equipment, environment and approach. I play at the same times, solo-ing or grouping or raiding the same time and durations, etcetera.

But, if "playstyle" refers to how you go about doing this inside the game world, then mine massively varies depending upon my character, my class and my race.  For example as a Mage I would go off and solo extensively mostly killing mobs for experience.  As a Druid, I would travel extensively and my game-time would be consumed with traveling and exploring, mostly to work on quests.  As an Enchanter, I exclusively grouped and joined others in a group-based hunting expedition.

So, the choice whether to solo XP, or explore and quest or group depends entirely on the class.

• 1019 posts
    July 2, 2018 6:06 AM PDT

Same.  I change nothing in my "playstyle".  What does change is how I handle what I'm playing.  If I'm playing a tank, I won't play the same way as when I'm playing an enchanter.  But other than the group aspect differences of the classes, nothing much changes with what I do in game.

• 303 posts
    July 2, 2018 6:09 AM PDT

I think I change my playstyle globally over all my characters every time I try a new class and/or race. I've found that playing alts can give me great perspective on my main character too where certain techniques or "meta gaming tricks" can apply equally between them, just being easier to learn intuitively on one particular class.

Edit: spelling

This post was edited by Spluffen at July 2, 2018 6:10 AM PDT
    • 259 posts
    July 2, 2018 6:31 AM PDT

Long ago... when I would RP, I would take great care in playing my class/race combo accordingly. Since then I have played differently, minor RP now, depending on whether I wanted to group or solo. Mostly I play a group character, but when farming for Tradeskills I solo.

• 3852 posts
    July 2, 2018 7:41 AM PDT

It is self-evident that a class that can barely solo is going to focus on grouping, a class that does ranged damage is going to attack from a distance and the like. Presumably the question is directed (to take a term from EQ2) class-agnostic elements - playstyle in matters that are not dictated by class.

I tend to play the same way. I spend a lot of time on character creation. I spend a lot of time in the low level areas - I have more fun developing a character than I do playing a character with more or less finalized skills and gear. I will try to do all or almost all quests (yes I know there will be less emphasis on quests here and that is fine). I will pick a craft and try to max it out over time. I will harvest ....a lot.

I will mostly solo at first - its what I am used to. PUGs in most MMOs today are not ...pleasant. Gods of Terminus willing that will be less true in Pantheon. That is where class will be most relevant - a healer or tank will try harder to group even if she can solo well.

• 137 posts
    July 2, 2018 7:46 AM PDT
    I usually try to heal on my warrior just like I do on my cleric
    • 1120 posts
    July 2, 2018 8:39 AM PDT

Wig said: I usually try to heal on my warrior just like I do on my cleric

I usually just yell at the cleric on my warrior and eventually realize why I main a cleric. 

• 190 posts
    July 2, 2018 8:39 AM PDT

Nearly snorted out my tea. LOL!

My playstyle does differ slightly behind the keyboard depending on the class I've chosen. DPS classes play slightly different than support or healer classes in over all style of actions available. I'll also adjust my play style to fit the character for role play purposes if the setting is right. Can't have a forgetful cleric in a raid, though. Not so much fun for the others.

• 2 posts
    July 2, 2018 8:50 AM PDT

This is why I liked EQ was the classes that you play differently and even then I would collect different types of gear for raid, solo, pvp,  dps and heal gear. I am always looking for alternative ways to play.

• 49 posts
    July 2, 2018 9:24 AM PDT

Playstyle definitely depends on class. Though when I'm a clothie I have a bad habit (in PvP) of getting closer to the front line mix than I should. 

• 267 posts
    July 2, 2018 9:28 AM PDT

Differently between characters? heck, I sometimes play my character differently mid pull XD

Knowing when to be agressive and when to play cautiously is a pretty important skill to have.

Ofcourse I'm not entirely sure this is what kilsin was getting at with the question but its the answer i'm going with.

• 107 posts
    July 2, 2018 9:29 AM PDT
    I suppose my playstyle purely as a player remains the same, however, as a character/race/class it can vary accordingly. Meaning, my core values as a player of a game is constant, but how I react to/or approach gameplay will differ with each race/class I play. Generally speaking, I try to play to the best of my ability at whichever character I choose.
    • 267 posts
    July 2, 2018 9:31 AM PDT

Oddly enough I used to raid with a cleric that would spend most of his time meleeing and forgetting to heal when we were clearing trash. I remember doing Plane of Time Phase 1 and we'd be asking for heals from adjacent phase 1 trial groups because he wasn't paying attention =P

• 1785 posts
    July 2, 2018 9:32 AM PDT

So, not sure how to answer this one.  Do I do anything different based on class?  Tactically, yes.  I mean if I'm playing a wizard I'm not going to be charging in to melee, etc.  Right?

But the stuff that really matters?  Like, my motivations and the way I approach content?  Nope.  That tends to be the same no matter what I'm doing.

• 209 posts
    July 2, 2018 10:05 AM PDT

Hehe, lots of different interpretations to this question. I'll do my part to make it even more confusing and add this:

Even though I'm not heavy into roleplay, I do have a different "character mindset" depending on the specific character I'm playing. I have a basic idea in my head of who each character is and what their defining personality traits and motivations are, and I like to keep that in mind as I play and develop them over the course of their career.

As far as how I play the game technically, however, nothing changes from character to character.

• 191 posts
    July 2, 2018 10:26 AM PDT

Yeah, I don't understand the question.

• 1479 posts
    July 2, 2018 11:16 AM PDT

That would be a thing in games where you have "specializations", where I usually build a race/class/spec character and often have multiples characters of the same class dedicated to different specs / Game styles (PvE/PvP).

However, I really don't see "how" that could be a thing in pantheon, as an example if warriors are made to tank with a shield and nothing support other playstyles / roles, even if I would love to see my char swinging an offensive style, the gameplay can't match the class functionnality and I would end beeing under-efficient.

I would love a game where you can "fit your gameplay to your character", but it usually means you are miles away from the most efficient build, and you're just crippling your team.

• 239 posts
    July 2, 2018 11:21 AM PDT
    I will be honest here... I dont understand the question. Lol
    • 2756 posts
    July 2, 2018 11:25 AM PDT

Mechanically, you have to play each class differently, so you can't mean that like that.

I do, however, depending on the emergent feel of the character (much of which will be from how deep and meaningful the race and class feels) I do find I 'behave' differently for each.

Playful or stoic.  Timid or confident.  Etc.  I'm not a serious role-player but I do enjoy 'getting into' the role.

• 1714 posts
    July 2, 2018 1:39 PM PDT

I like classes that allow me to feel like I'm being efficient, perhaps more efficient than someone else playing the same class. So by that measure it doesn't matter what I'm playing, I'm going to seek out the way to be the best I can be. I will certainly gravitate to classes that give me that feeling, however. 

• 432 posts
    July 2, 2018 1:45 PM PDT

Well of course .

As enchanter I don't keep trying to equip this 2H sword which somehow seems to resist my efforts and as warrior I rarely attempt a mez .

• 12 posts
    July 2, 2018 2:47 PM PDT

Im triggered! lol jk, but forreal this is supposed to be Everquest-like, whereas your class dictates that you HAVE to play your classes differently than the other ones. Please avoid warcraft at all costs where every class became the same with different names!

• 93 posts
    July 2, 2018 2:56 PM PDT

I conduct myself the same way regardless of the character I am playing.  That is to say, that I treat others the way I would want them to treat me.  I cause no grief and if I should happen to accidentally cause a problem for another play, I will apologize and try to make ammends.  Do unto others....

• 752 posts
    July 2, 2018 3:01 PM PDT

I set up all my chars UI/Hotbuttons in the same way. Hotbuttons might be different based on class, but the most used ones are tied to the same keystrokes. It helps having muscle memory so no matter which character i am playing i just hit 7 and its either a heal or some other beneficial spell. 1 is my taunt or other attack that is used all the time. Sit/stand was always 0 for me. I set up my chat boxes the same on every character so i dont get lost in the UI. I can jump on any of my computers at any time and know exactly what buttons i need to push. I can even play in the dark with very slight disruptions.

As far as how i play my characters. I try to do the best i can regardless of class. I usually fail a lot regardless, but i try. lol

Its kindof a confusing question, because classes play differently. Melee vs caster. But i try to play all casters conservatively and melee aggressively and utilize aggro management tools effectively

This post was edited by kreed99 at July 2, 2018 3:06 PM PDT