Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Have you ever Rage Quit?

• 9115 posts
    February 26, 2018 3:54 AM PST

Has a game made you so mad that you lost your cool? Have you got a game rage story to share of you or someone you know going bananas over some pixels? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 7 posts
    February 26, 2018 4:06 AM PST

Sure. I rage quit World of Warcraft when they 'revamped' (aka removed) the Talent system. I was playing a Destruction Warlock as my 'main', and I did a lot of PVP. The previous Talent system allowed me to sacrifice DPS for additional crowd control. Players always say they want their choices to matter, and I agree. That's why I love character progression mechanics that allow me to focus on skills that compliment my play style even at the cost of a penalty in some other area. Then Blizzard comes along and infantilizes their character development system and leaves me with progression 'choices' that make no real significant difference. So that was the end for me.

• 30 posts
    February 26, 2018 5:12 AM PST

I've never rage quit. I tend not to get too upset over things and shrug off problems in game. I did have a member of my guild rage quit on me. On P1999, we were working hard on getting a Hand of Maestro to drop so we could get an epic for one of our warriors (we only had one other epic'd warrior at the time). We managed to get the hand finally and I awarded it to a warrior who just needed it to get his epic vs another who had much more time in guild but still needed several hard to get items. Well, his RL girlfriend didn't take this too well and rage quit the guild right there. I let things settle down and she eventually rejoined. "Everybody gets one" is my motto in terms of letting her back in. As a side note, for a variety of reasons, I eventually realized that it should have went to the warrior with more time in)..

Some people are very emmotional and will rage quit. There's no escaping this fact. Drops and spawns can be very tough to get at times and when all of your hard work and waiting is bypassed by someone else who snags the item from under their nose, it can be incredibly frustrating for some. Hopefully they take some time to collect themselves, go get some sunshine and fresh air.. maybe shower :) and come back. What complpicates things is when they also delete their characters or worse, give away aeverything to random people before the leave forever. At least with deleted characters, a restore could hopefully be performed whereas in the second case, it's permanent.

• 724 posts
    February 26, 2018 5:20 AM PST

I have shut down games / turned off my PC plenty of times when my character died unneccessarily or unfairly (IMO). Only to walk away for a few minutes, calm down and continue again. :)

In one situation I quit a game over discussions on a game forum. This was when EQ2 was fairly new, and there was a heated discussion wether overland NPCs (world bosses) or instances should have the best loot in game. I argued quite strongly in favor of instances, but eventually a game dev basically answered me they would keep overland bosses with the best loot, with (as I found) no really good reason. I had gone from EQ to EQ2 both because it was new, but also because I liked the idea of instancing, in that it would provide a level playing field (as in, skill decides over what people can achieve, not time spent being online). So that game devs' answer felt kind of like a betrayal to me, breaking the promise of that game (I am actually not sure if it was ever promised, but it felt to me that way). I quit EQ2 and never returned to it. So..kind of a rage quit.

• 1303 posts
    February 26, 2018 8:04 AM PST

For a night? Yes. 

Completely and permanently quit playing a game? No. 

I've quit dozens of games because the frustration level was higher than the fun level. But only after giving them a fair shot. I've quit many more because they just never had much of a fun factor to begin with. 

• 108 posts
    February 26, 2018 8:09 AM PST

Nope. Can't say that i ever have.

I think the only games i ever noticed folks rage quiting were in fps and strategy war games. I used to play a lot of Napoleon Total war. Over 2k hours played mostly in pvp. I noticed a lot of foks rage quiting as i trounced them. Used to keep  a rattle on my desk and would shake it laughing every time some one just pulled the plug as they were getting humiliated by a weaker faction...Laughing as i joined a new pvp match....

One memorable match i joined a pug match with three other folks on my side. Against a clan with four folks. Our side had a mixed bag of nations. I was playing Sweden. I was on our sides right flank. I crushed the russian forces on their left flank. The remnants started retreating toward his allies. I noticed my team mates were finished so i marched into their deployment zone unopposed to a nice hill and waited. The four started whining that i was camping. I said camping hell i marched my force through your left flank and took the high ground in your own deployment zone.....They consolidated then began to approach my position as i pounded their assaults with grape shot and anihilated their artillery with cavalry charges my infantry was holding the high ground they near simultaneously raged quit. I was laughing so hard i was crying.

• 1404 posts
    February 26, 2018 9:11 AM PST

Depends a bit on the definition of "Rage Quit" 

rage; feel or express violent uncontrollable anger.

No, never. I've seen players Rage Quit before. Most commonly breaking into FEAR in old EQ. Watched them come back the next day wanting sympathy and people to personally go in for their corpse. 
    The closest to rage quitting I could say I have done was when WoW normalized the Hunter pets and I saw all that work and time I had spent researching and "hunting" to get just the right pets, reduced  to mean nothing. And also after doing the questing for the Warlock epic mount just to have them make that also trivial. The newer version you basically ran up and asked the quest giver "can I have a mount" and "tada" you have a mount.

With those I dident Rage Quit, but they were definitely the start of the end where I realized Wow was nothing but a waste of time. No interest in going back and having something I spend so much time on just removed with a "patch"
    • 123 posts
    February 26, 2018 9:31 AM PST

I know when EQ2 did their combat revamp a lot of people left shortly after.  Not sure if you would call it rage quitting or not.

I remember the rage in the forums of EQ2 when Paladins/SK's received a full speed mount for their level 10 "class cool item).  Berserkers got a flaming fist graphic (did nothing but for looks) as an example of what all other classes recieved as their "class cool item."

• 258 posts
    February 26, 2018 9:38 AM PST

Yep. Aion. I was soloing a rare spawn with my chanter. There was a duo running around farming that one mob I happened to be killing (they were farming the same mob over several zone "instances"--one of the dumbest things I've seen in any game). I had the mob at about 70%, but I had to constantly heal myself because the mob hit like a hurricane, so my dps was very slow. Well that duo came up and because I had so much healing aggro they out DPS'd me without ever getting aggro and therefore got the kill credit and the loot.

This post was edited by Kaen at February 26, 2018 9:58 AM PST
    • 1860 posts
    February 26, 2018 9:47 AM PST

I remember getting mad playing sega master system in 1986ish, cussing loudly and throwing the controller at the TV (I was 10)...though I didn't quit.  I ended up beating that game a couple days later.

• 1019 posts
    February 26, 2018 9:51 AM PST

I got so mad at a Nintendo game I was playing when I was 10 or so that I threw the controller down in rage/frustration.  My dad saw and that was last time I ever did that.

• 39 posts
    February 26, 2018 10:02 AM PST
    I left ESO for a few months after what seemed like changes to every class skill every single patch for a good 6 months in a row. I'm all about balance and keeping things even, but it spoke volumes to me about their testing process, and how far removed the devs were from their own game. If you don't even play the game, how can you be expected to know what to listen to when you get feedback, and what is someone just blowing smoke about some particular class they love/hate?
    • 1303 posts
    February 26, 2018 10:25 AM PST

Rage quit to me means being so pissed at a particular event that you just walk away. Never done that. 

Now, I have walked away from multiple MMO's because they so drastically changed how the game plays. But that wasnt a rage thing, it was a "I don't recognize this game I used to like" thing.  SWG being the first, but not last. 

• 9 posts
    February 26, 2018 10:34 AM PST

Sure, I have been guilty for rage quitting in pvp games. However in pve games I would be hard pressed to remember the last time I rage quit. even after long nights during progression raids.

• 116 posts
    February 26, 2018 11:10 AM PST

No...  'unfortunately' I'm not a quitter.  I say unfortunately, because I'll hang in there on an absolutely awful movie because I feel invested enough halfway in that I have to see what ending this pile of garbage has.  Hehe, so yeah, no.  Not even a rage log off...  I'm a cool cucumber, I operate best under pressure, stress, and anger.  It makes me more focused and determined.

And then my wife has to listen to me vent for two days...

This post was edited by Mornroc at February 26, 2018 11:11 AM PST
    • 1714 posts
    February 26, 2018 11:21 AM PST

I rage quit EQ on the CT server at launch when I hit 20 and my wizard could not kill anything with force shock because the dual resist component made it worthless. I started over on the newly launched EMarr server and the rest is history. 

• 769 posts
    February 26, 2018 11:36 AM PST

Eh, nah. I mean, I've calmly /quit and walked away a few times, but never gotten that angry at a video game. At least not as an adult. 

Now, if we're talking about Lil' Tralyan playing Duck Hunt? Yea, that gun got thrown a lot. 

• 363 posts
    February 26, 2018 11:45 AM PST

Yes, long ago when I was in my mid-teens, and I have a fractured 5th metacarpal in my hand to show for it lol. Long story short, I was playing Tibia on a PvP server and I was around level 130. My guild was at war with another guild, I got trapped by the opposing guild, tricked into a "black skull" PvP flag by someone who truly understood game mechanics on a deeper level than I at that point in time, and eventually killed when I ran out of supplies. I dropped ALL my gear on death (normally you drop your backpack and a small % chance to drop items from other slots, but with a black skull you drop everything from every slot). My main set, situational gear, specialty items, quest items, and access keys that I had looted over the years were looted by the opposing guild. I instantly logged and slammed my fist on the edge of my desk, fracturing the 5th metacarpal in my hand in the process - side note: instantly regretted that decision. That being said, I had a guild who supported me and helped me come back from the biggest loss I had ever suffered from in Tibia. I returned to the game after a couple weeks and continued to push forward for many years. The sense of accomplishment when overcoming hardships in that game was unrivaled, even by EQ1.

This post was edited by Flossie at February 26, 2018 2:17 PM PST
    • 29 posts
    February 26, 2018 11:59 AM PST

Not in a MMO. I usually try to get what I want until I succeed.

In Shooter Games I have already RageQuit ...PVP tournaments etc...

• 3237 posts
    February 26, 2018 1:28 PM PST

Edit  --  Nevermind.

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 27, 2018 11:03 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 26, 2018 3:48 PM PST

I've only ever really rage quit in singleplayer games. Most recently in souls like games (Darksouls, Nioh, The Surge etc.) , and when I say rage quit I mean I just get too frustrated with a particular boss that I just start to get worse and worse, so it's best to stop and take a break and refresh :P. I've rage quit Divinity Original Sin 2 quite a bit (still need to beat it lol, not very good at it :S).

I can't really say I've rage quit in any MMO's, first off cause it would cause others problems if i just stormed off when trying to down a boss. I can also say I've been lucky enough to never have a guildy every quit on a boss fight in guilds I've been in out of rage or frustration :D

Closest I guess I can say I came to "rage quiting" in an MMO was SWG... and by rage quiting I mean dropped the game entirely, but that was because of the massive ways SOE changed the game into an entirely different game :S 

• 409 posts
    February 26, 2018 3:49 PM PST

Passionate person here. So yeah I've raged quit a few times. I've even raged quit this game once already due to trolls on the forums. I'm getting intolerant and frustrated as I get older I think. I used to be more tolerant, calm and never had any problems.. even with trolling. But now? mainly because people get away with murder in mmo's nowadays; it's rife with RMT, P2W, apathy/ignorance, lack of game moderation, little to no community and well the general attitude of most people now absolutely sucks if I'm honest. Bring back the days when RMT and kill stealing etc was an offense + frowned upon, and were friends where made.. not hated/loathed as a waste of time.

• 98 posts
    February 26, 2018 4:18 PM PST

I get mad but that doesn't usually make me quit. Actually, I have to remind myself to put the controller down when I start wanting to throw it...like that one time in Okami with the race near the end of the story...

• 16 posts
    February 26, 2018 4:35 PM PST

I have at times gotten myself very worked up and shoulda stepped away in various games. Think my worst wasn't exactly a rage quit it was more of a rage/punched a hole in my moniter thus forced to quit type of thing. I only did that once though since it was pretty expensive and my hand wasn't very happy about it either... lol

• 258 posts
    February 26, 2018 5:23 PM PST

iamme said:

I have at times gotten myself very worked up and shoulda stepped away in various games. Think my worst wasn't exactly a rage quit it was more of a rage/punched a hole in my moniter thus forced to quit type of thing. I only did that once though since it was pretty expensive and my hand wasn't very happy about it either... lol

Haha. I had a friend who played EQ up to PoP, and once a month or so there would be new damage to his room. A fist sized hole in his wall nicely hidden by a shiny new calender. A hole in his closet door from a screwdriver he threw. Several large dings in his bathroom door from his computer chair... etc... :P