Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Where do we start.

• 1019 posts
    November 25, 2017 4:48 AM PST

After character creation, where do we come into the game?  I know each race has a starting city, but I honestly hope this isn't were we enter into the world.  Just poof, full grown person appearing out of the blue, fully geared...ugh...

Hopefully, there is a nice back story to our creation and we are awoken in a very nearby village, or even better...

Just personnel opinion here, I'd much rather see there be multipule (10-15) randomly generated spawn points for new characters within a 5 min walk of their starting city.  Under a tree, back of a barn, inside a shack, under a table in a bar, some random tent in the wilderness etc...

Each time, it could say "You awaken from the best sleep you can remember, but...thats all you remember..."  A note in your pocket, a linen potato sack for clothes and a stick for defensive purposes and your best bet is to follow the directions of your note and find who it's telling you to look for.

• 7 posts
    November 25, 2017 4:56 AM PST
    Cool idea
    • 68 posts
    November 25, 2017 5:52 AM PST

I believe they said during the Thronefast city stream, that human Warriors would start out at the Thronefast Barracks building. While I do like your idea, I think you could just as easily come up with a lore/roleplaying reason to start out at the barracks.

"The day has finally arrived where you've come of age to apply for the Thronefast Regulars, (something, something flavour text)" Game starts you off at the entrance to the recruitment office.

• 3852 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:13 AM PST

Waking up with no weapon or other gear is traditional for a tutorial where you learn the basic commands while doing not very dangerous things to get a club and leather armor or the like.

If we don't have or skip a tutorial (a topic much discussed a while ago) arriving at a barracks or almost anywhere else with basic gear works as well as anything else.

• 1404 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:13 AM PST

I agree it can be much better than out in the open. I would suggest a room, at an Inn or a barracks as suggested. Where players that created a character then went AFK wouldent be seen all stacked up on each other.First thing a new player always needed to do was open a door, First thing any exsisting player would see of them was them walking out of a room.

Seems a lot cleaner for very little effort.

This post was edited by Zorkon at November 25, 2017 7:15 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:31 AM PST

I think it would be neat if we could start in one of the small villages close to the "racial starting city".

For instance, in some of the streams, I noticed a couple of villages outside of the Human starting city of Thronefast.  It would be kind of cool if we could have our choice of starting out in one of those villages rather than the main city itself, but still be "bound" to the main city as our "starting city", just for some flavor.

This post was edited by Kalok at November 25, 2017 7:31 AM PST
    • 1785 posts
    November 25, 2017 8:45 AM PST

Variable start points is a neat idea.  +1 to that.  I like Kalok's take on it too!

One thing I do want to see, which maybe isn't related to your question, is that level 1 should *feel* weak.  I remember starting in EQ - no armor, no spells, only a very basic weapon.  When I went out to fight that first skeleton outside the gate, it was TOUGH!  It challenged me!  Most other games I've played, you walk out that gate and just start mowing things down.  It's not the same.

So for the starting experience I want it to be one where players are challenged immediately (even if it's a solo level of challenge).  Regardless of which start point we happen to get ;)

• 68 posts
    November 25, 2017 8:58 AM PST

Nephele said:

One thing I do want to see, which maybe isn't related to your question, is that level 1 should *feel* weak.  I remember starting in EQ - no armor, no spells, only a very basic weapon.  When I went out to fight that first skeleton outside the gate, it was TOUGH!  It challenged me!  Most other games I've played, you walk out that gate and just start mowing things down.  It's not the same.

So for the starting experience I want it to be one where players are challenged immediately (even if it's a solo level of challenge).  Regardless of which start point we happen to get ;)

Absolutely this. I'm so tired of walking out the gate only to be met with the slaughter of the century of local wildlife by yourself and 10's of others of players. Walking around oneshotting pretty much everything. The first levels should be soloable, but it should take time to kill a single monster. Even at this level grouping up with nearby players should be encouraged.

• 319 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:13 AM PST

starting in the huge city can really confuse some people. I am in favor of the idea to start in a small village close to the city. In eq1 half-elf druids started in surefall glade but their big city was qeynos. But they had to return to surefall glade for training and spells. Something n the way of this would be awesome. 

Starting with just the basic clothes and weapon is the norm in most mmo's. go out and earn enough coppers for your first purchase be it a weapon or armor or even a bag, which is what i usually purchase.

Multiple starting points is ok with me also. As long as you can find ech other easily if you log in with a spouse or friend and play different classes of the same race.

• 98 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:18 AM PST

Nephele said:

Variable start points is a neat idea.  +1 to that.  I like Kalok's take on it too!

Give me a rusty butter knife and I am ready to go. I will even supply the attitude and bloodlust!

• 1618 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:18 AM PST

Isaya said:

starting in the huge city can really confuse some people. I am in favor of the idea to start in a small village close to the city. In eq1 half-elf druids started in surefall glade but their big city was qeynos. But they had to return to surefall glade for training and spells. Something n the way of this would be awesome. 

Starting with just the basic clothes and weapon is the norm in most mmo's. go out and earn enough coppers for your first purchase be it a weapon or armor or even a bag, which is what i usually purchase.

Multiple starting points is ok with me also. As long as you can find ech other easily if you log in with a spouse or friend and play different classes of the same race.

I so hope we are not walking out of the city and hunting spiders, rats, wolves, etc. It just doesn't feel heroic. 

i rememberthe SWTOR pirate expansion. Most of it was clearing the jungle of wildlife. Just not a Jedi/Sith thing.

• 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:30 AM PST

Nephele said:

I agree.  Unfortunately, it sounds like a bunch of people want to walk out mowing things down, like one person's "I don't want to walk outside of the gates and fight spiders and snakes because it doesn't sound heroic to me.".

• 98 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:40 AM PST

Kalok said:

Nephele said:

I agree.  Unfortunately, it sounds like a bunch of people want to walk out mowing things down, like one person's "I don't want to walk outside of the gates and fight spiders and snakes because it doesn't sound heroic to me.".

Yep. But I still felt heroic killing those snakes outside EFP. Seriously though, I don't want to be born a hero. I want to mold one through adventures with friends.

Obviously being a Bard I will make up my own songs about the titanic struggle with the rat, a particularly vicious rat. Who I vanquish whilst saving the children and singing!

Bards, we always overcompensate 8))

• 1019 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:46 AM PST

I died to a decaying skeleton twice before I beat it my first time in EQ.  It was great, and I'd happily be tasked with having to clear the rubbish from around the city.  We are level nothing, of course we aren't doing heroic stuff yet.

I'm still in favor of the multipule spawn locations for new character, but I understand, if it's an outdoor "common" location, seeing 13 characters stacked on top of each other would be somewhat off setting.  

I still don't want to see people spawning in the large cities either.  The villiages outside of town, where you could "wake up" in a room and thats how your story begins.  You walk out and first NPC you talk to starts your story.  "Oh, you've awoken?  We found you in a pile of blood and you've been out for a good number of days now."....somethin somethin somehthin...  This could be 4 or 5 different houses, depending on class? ehh, all within the same little villiage, right outside your starting city.

I understand the "you do a solo instanced tutorial, and then you spawn with gear inside the warrior training house" that would also make sense.  Just going from character creation, you name your toon and poof tada, look, a heroically gear adventurer ready to slaughter wolves and fawns at the plenty.

• 2419 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:53 AM PST

I hope that Broken Maw, the home of my Ogre brethern, will be where I first appear and not in some tiny village nearby.  Right at the main gate of the town, as if I just did walk in from the surrounding countryside clutching only a simple weapon, wearing peasant clothing and clutching a note from my Shaman guildmaster. 

• 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 10:00 AM PST

Jazznblues said:

Kalok said:

Nephele said:

Yep. But I still felt heroic killing those snakes outside EFP. Seriously though, I don't want to be born a hero. I want to mold one through adventures with friends.

Obviously being a Bard I will make up my own songs about the titanic struggle with the rat, a particularly vicious rat. Who I vanquish whilst saving the children and singing!

Bards, we always overcompensate 8))

Exactly.  I want to work my way up as well.

• 1019 posts
    November 25, 2017 10:15 AM PST

Vandraad said:

I hope that Broken Maw, the home of my Ogre brethern, will be where I first appear and not in some tiny village nearby.  Right at the main gate of the town, as if I just did walk in from the surrounding countryside clutching only a simple weapon, wearing peasant clothing and clutching a note from my Shaman guildmaster. 

Yes.  Just not poof, right in the middle of town, wearing a full set of armor.

• 10 posts
    November 25, 2017 12:47 PM PST

The start of every MMO always seems to be learning how to fight first. What if we tradeskill or anything else you might find yourself doing in a city before going outside with a sword/club to kill snakes and wolves? It could be related to your class and race pick. A warrior might need to sharpen some swords at the barracks and run an errand, finding POI's around the city in doing so. An introduction to tradeskills that might relate to you, while not locking you into that pick.

• 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 12:57 PM PST

slythyr said:

The start of every MMO always seems to be learning how to fight first. What if we tradeskill or anything else you might find yourself doing in a city before going outside with a sword/club to kill snakes and wolves? It could be related to your class and race pick. A warrior might need to sharpen some swords at the barracks and run an errand, finding POI's around the city in doing so. An introduction to tradeskills that might relate to you, while not locking you into that pick.

Which is a fantastic way way to do it.  This would even go hand-in-hand with being able to be "borm" in a village outside of the "racial starting city".  For instance if my guy was "born" outside of the city in a village, he would have to travel to the city in order to to go to "Rogue Acadaey".  Not having any skills at all, that might even be a dangerous trek.

This would be AWESOME.

• 1019 posts
    November 25, 2017 12:58 PM PST

Valid point Slythyr, however, I haven't seen, nor do I think Protf will say, What race?  Ok, now what tradeskill do you want?  It's typically, what race, what class.

• 1303 posts
    November 25, 2017 1:03 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I so hope we are not walking out of the city and hunting spiders, rats, wolves, etc. It just doesn't feel heroic. 

i rememberthe SWTOR pirate expansion. Most of it was clearing the jungle of wildlife. Just not a Jedi/Sith thing.

At level 1 you're not a hero. You're a pud with maybe higher than average potential to not suck someday. And that's exactly what it should feel like. Otherwise gaining skills, power and prestige would feel meaningless as the game progressed for you. 

• 57 posts
    November 25, 2017 1:08 PM PST

Thats why I've liked the games I played in the past, and took races that wouldn't start in a city normally. Starting in a village and working your way outward toward a city was a challenge. Being that most player hubs usually get set near a major city, running across mutiple zones to get there was a fun challenge, especially at a lower level. Sadly most games that do start you in a city or in a village you all spawn out of thin air in the exact spot so I like the idea from another poster where you can spawn in different locations near the starting area the game sets.

• 1019 posts
    November 25, 2017 1:19 PM PST

Feyshtey said:

You're a pud with maybe higher than average potential to not suck someday. 

Hahaha, yes.  Thats hilarious.

Zohkar said:

Thats why I've liked the games I played in the past, and took races that wouldn't start in a city normally. Starting in a village and working your way outward toward a city was a challenge. Being that most player hubs usually get set near a major city, running across mutiple zones to get there was a fun challenge, especially at a lower level. Sadly most games that do start you in a city or in a village you all spawn out of thin air in the exact spot so I like the idea from another poster where you can spawn in different locations near the starting area the game sets.

That was I, and your reasoning is exactly why I recommended a unique mechanic.  Also, if there are multipule places that newly created characters spawn (within a reasonable distance of each other, so you can find your friends when you're all making toons together) then you won't see a stack of 11 newly created (afk, or not) toons standing on top of each other.  It also gives an IRL person a unique story compaired to other people.

"I started as a passed out drunk under the bar table."  "Haha, thats cool." I started as a vagabond in a tent behind that same bar."  LOL's had by all.

This post was edited by Kittik at November 25, 2017 1:22 PM PST
    • 36 posts
    November 25, 2017 2:27 PM PST

I'm a supporter of staring in a small village, or camp, a bit away from the city.  It would be nice to learn a few of the basics, work our way up to level 5, explore a bit and then you see a huge city entrance. I think that would be a nice wow moment for any player.

Not a big fan of the 'I should feel like a hero from level 1' idea.  I think I first heard of this when the Warhammer MMO was in development and people were all about that, but its just not a good concept to build around. Being a hero is something you should have to earn In an MMORPG.

• 334 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:45 PM PST

Kittik said:
    After character creation, where do we come into the game?  I know each race has a starting city, but I honestly hope this isn't were we enter into the world.  Just poof, full grown person appearing out of the blue, fully geared...ugh...

The first thought that crossed my mind reading this, was that of Kittik opening his eyes and looking up into the eyes of his parents from inside his crib. lol
    Secondly, leaving school...
    Though those things could be nice for an intro movie, more realistic would be like a youngster that was not chosen by any masters for an apprenticeship on the day of choosing. Then having to go their own path. Or it is graduation day from a master. That could tie in with multiple (random) starting points. (in EQ1 there were mutiple guild masters)