Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Newborns and a MMO

• 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:22 PM PST

Thought I would ask this here to get a general idea of what I am in for. MMo's are a social experiance. Escpially a game like Pantheon. I am hoping to make friends and to either make or join a casual guild. I believe in this game so much I am a VIP. However, yesterday I found out my wife is pregnant. YAY. We are going to find out more in the coming weeks (like when it's due and the have nots). I am excited to finally be a dad, a true dream come true. So here is my question...

My wife said that she wants me to play Panethon. I do not have many friends and she is expecting me and hoping for me to make some while I am playing. She wants me to have people to group up with and talk to. To blow off steam and so I can still have my hobby. I think deep down so i didn't waste $1000. She want's me to play for 1-2 hours a day, maybe more if I play when she is bed. She says its up to me how tired I am but I better not complain. 2 hours is about what I comfortable with.

So is that viable time for a MMO like this 2 hours a day, 4 hours on friday when she goes out with friends and the like? Is this game going to be so old school that I can't get anything down? Has anyone every played a MMO after having a baby and what was that experiance like?

Again I don't expect to play hardcore. I don't expect to be a top player, to be in a top raiding guild. I just want to know if I will able to even have fun. Will I even be able to find a group with such low playtime and get anything done. My wife is willing to work with me but I am worried from what I have heard that this game isn't built for that. Any words of comfort or not would be great.

• 1921 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:29 PM PST

Easiest answer will probably be join a guild, and hope they help you out with grouping.  Typically, if the guild is large enough, with enough players at your level, getting a group should be quick.

The trick of course will be to join a guild with players in the same time zone who play either their mains or alts as much you do, and are willing to help. 

• 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:32 PM PST

vjek said:

Easiest answer will probably be join a guild, and hope they help you out with grouping.  Typically, if the guild is large enough, with enough players at your level, getting a group should be quick.

The trick of course will be to join a guild with players in the same time zone who play either their mains or alts as much you do, and are willing to help. 

Yes that is what I was thinking too. Finding a casual guild that won't care if i can't get on for a raid 

• 26 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:33 PM PST
    I dont have a direct link. I believe it was a facebook comment, but im pretty sure Brad mentioned that the target play session is 2hrs. There are a lot of features that havent been revealed yet that may get you into the action quicker.

Regardless, i feel there will be plenty for you to do with the time you have. There will always be casual family friendly guilds in a game like this. I hope to make some new friends myself. :)
    • 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:36 PM PST

PLTC said: I dont have a direct link. I believe it was a facebook comment, but im pretty sure Brad mentioned that the target play session is 2hrs. There are a lot of features that havent been revealed yet that may get you into the action quicker. Regardless, i feel there will be plenty for you to do with the time you have. There will always be casual family friendly guilds in a game like this. I hope to make some new friends myself. :)

Awesome that is good to hear. :D That puts a weight off my mind

• 2886 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:39 PM PST

Arterius said:

PLTC said: I dont have a direct link. I believe it was a facebook comment, but im pretty sure Brad mentioned that the target play session is 2hrs. There are a lot of features that havent been revealed yet that may get you into the action quicker. Regardless, i feel there will be plenty for you to do with the time you have. There will always be casual family friendly guilds in a game like this. I hope to make some new friends myself. :)

PLTC is correct. Here is a direct quote from the FAQ:

4.3 Will Pantheon require me to play for hours and hours or all night and all day to advance my character?

No. While the world of Terminus will consist of vast landscapes and epic dungeons, there is no reason to require players to play long, contiguous gaming sessions. Players will be able to play a couple of hours, logout, and return later to continue their journey. There will also be mechanics and features to both help people get together and group and also to make lasting friendships. To further facilitate this there will also be ways for players to keep their group together even if some members of the group can play longer than others or at different times.

• 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:42 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Arterius said:

PLTC is correct. Here is a direct quote from the FAQ:

4.3 Will Pantheon require me to play for hours and hours or all night and all day to advance my character?

No. While the world of Terminus will consist of vast landscapes and epic dungeons, there is no reason to require players to play long, contiguous gaming sessions. Players will be able to play a couple of hours, logout, and return later to continue their journey. There will also be mechanics and features to both help people get together and group and also to make lasting friendships. To further facilitate this there will also be ways for players to keep their group together even if some members of the group can play longer than others or at different times.

That sounds perfect. Sounds like if i would have just looked in the FAQs i wouldnt have had a question at all. 

• 753 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:44 PM PST

I suspect there will be guilds that raid in a not too serious, non-commital way.  They will get stuff done, but not as fast as guilds focused on raiding and will take along guild members who want to go.  Those guilds typically end up having a lot of people who never raid, and often end up losing their better raiders to other guilds.  

Seems like that might be the perfect sort of guild for you... play when you can, raid if you are on and there's a spot open.

• 98 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:52 PM PST

Congratulations!

I don't have a baby but my sister's had two and I know a few people who've dealt with newborns while trying to play EQ. I will just say that you may try to schedule all of these things and have aspirations of sticking to a schedule, but baby won't have none of that. You're in THEIR world now...their world of poopy diapers and feeding and lack of cooperation with your fancy sleep schedules and colic and everything. Get used to being ultra super casual for a few years. Oh, and also being sleep-deprived. You are on baby's schedule once the due month rolls around.

My experience with people who have newborns or young children who play EQ is that they will simply go AFK at random for random lengthy periods of time, to the point where they might end up dying, and they definitely do not play every day. Because we've got a much older group of players here, people will be far more understanding and work around your AFKs to make sure you survive in-game, hopefully. Just make sure to warn the group.

• 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 3:59 PM PST

sorn said:

Congratulations!

I don't have a baby but my sister's had two and I know a few people who've dealt with newborns while trying to play EQ. I will just say that you may try to schedule all of these things and have aspirations of sticking to a schedule, but baby won't have none of that. You're in THEIR world now...their world of poopy diapers and feeding and lack of cooperation with your fancy sleep schedules and colic and everything. Get used to being ultra super casual for a few years. Oh, and also being sleep-deprived. You are on baby's schedule once the due month rolls around.

My experience with people who have newborns or young children who play EQ is that they will simply go AFK at random for random lengthy periods of time, to the point where they might end up dying, and they definitely do not play every day. Because we've got a much older group of players here, people will be far more understanding and work around your AFKs to make sure you survive in-game, hopefully. Just make sure to warn the group.

Yeah I found a guild I want that is super casual so I am hoping to get into them. I exepct to be AFK but I am also hoping that if I play night when the baby goes down I will have a few hours to play but that may be optimism right there. I'll def get that 4 hours every friday because that is when I play D&D and my wife goes out. I am trading D&D for Pantheon when the baby is born and my wife still plans on going out with her friends. They don't drink. They usually go to art classes, grocery shopping, so its nothing a baby can't go along with

• 200 posts
    November 20, 2017 4:12 PM PST

my lil guy is 10.5 months old. I'll pre warn you,if your baby isn't a good sleeper (mine wasn't until about 9.5 months) you and your wife will be exhausted. It's def not easy and be prepared for some discomfort the first 6 months maybe longer maybe shorter. 

With that said, I think(hope) they are designing this game to be playable an hour a day to 24 hours a day =) I'm basically in the same exact boat as you and have the same concerns!

• 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 4:15 PM PST

WarKnight said:

my lil guy is 10.5 months old. I'll pre warn you,if your baby isn't a good sleeper (mine wasn't until about 9.5 months) you and your wife will be exhausted. It's def not easy and be prepared for some discomfort the first 6 months maybe longer maybe shorter. 

With that said, I think(hope) they are designing this game to be playable an hour a day to 24 hours a day =) I'm basically in the same exact boat as you and have the same concerns!

nice to have feedback from hands on experiance. Thank you

• 1281 posts
    November 20, 2017 6:15 PM PST

I will tell you how it worked for me.

I have been a single parent for a little over 18 years.  Both of my kids were babies (6 mos and a year and a half) when their mom took off.  Two hours a day was about all that I could get in in the old EQ1 days, which was plenty.  On the weeoekds, I could do a little more, because they went down for naps and what-not.

• 151 posts
    November 20, 2017 6:42 PM PST

It is interesting that so many people say "find a casual guild" etc, etc...

I believe that we will not see the stagnation of people only grouping with their guild or small group and no one else. My experience in EQ1 was that PUG's were much more common than more modern games due to the neccesity of grouping. I hope to see a return to that.

As far as the kiddo portion of the question... I am in the same boat. My wife and I are foster parents and about to adopt the 3 we have now. I am interested in how that will affect playtime/ desire to play. I have not played any games since we got licensed almost 2 years ago.

• 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 7:39 PM PST

Kalok said:

I have been a single parent for a little over 18 years.  Both of my kids were babies (6 mos and a year and a half) when their mom took off.  Two hours a day was about all that I could get in in the old EQ1 days, which was plenty.  On the weeoekds, I could do a little more, because they went down for naps and what-not.

I am sorry to hear that. Hope everything worked out well afterwards and thanks for the comment. My wife says I could play more on my days off but I feel like i will wont to spend that time with the two of them and not playing all day. We shall see

• 1281 posts
    November 20, 2017 7:52 PM PST

Arterius said:

Kalok said:

I am sorry to hear that. Hope everything worked out well afterwards and thanks for the comment. My wife says I could play more on my days off but I feel like i will wont to spend that time with the two of them and not playing all day. We shall see

Things worked out fantastic for my kids and I, thank you.

• 178 posts
    November 20, 2017 7:53 PM PST

Arterius said:

... My wife says I could play more on my days off...

Only needed that one small excerpt. I think this is when I should remind you of the immortal words of Admiral Ackbar "It's a trap!"

• 18 posts
    November 20, 2017 8:19 PM PST

Get the book/DVD "Happiest baby on the block" and learn to swaddle.  Some babies will take the swaddle some won't but the other 4 tips still work even if they wiggle out of the swaddle.  Also I would camp near where you want to grind some exp during nap time and save the longer quests/raids for the weekends.  Good luck!

This post was edited by Gorrax at November 20, 2017 8:22 PM PST
    • 67 posts
    November 20, 2017 8:24 PM PST

muscoby said:

Arterius said:

... My wife says I could play more on my days off...

Only needed that one small excerpt. I think this is when I should remind you of the immortal words of Admiral Ackbar "It's a trap!"

Nah she is pretty cool. She feels bad if i go a few days without doing something for myself. Weather thats playing video games or reading. 

• 839 posts
    November 20, 2017 9:26 PM PST

Maximis said:

It is interesting that so many people say "find a casual guild" etc, etc...

I believe that we will not see the stagnation of people only grouping with their guild or small group and no one else. My experience in EQ1 was that PUG's were much more common than more modern games due to the neccesity of grouping. I hope to see a return to that.

As far as the kiddo portion of the question... I am in the same boat. My wife and I are foster parents and about to adopt the 3 we have now. I am interested in how that will affect playtime/ desire to play. I have not played any games since we got licensed almost 2 years ago.

Quoted Maximis but this is To the OP..

I think Maximis has a great point here and honestly if you drop in and out for 2 hours at a time and each time you want to hook up with guildies and you are in one part of the world and they have moved to another part of the world then your best bet is probably going to be with PUG's or a few people who you keep bumping into and PUGing with while playing and end up having them on your friends list. 

You may find on your schedule the whole guild thing stifles your chance to just drop in and pump some xp because they are usually already engaged in a full group or too far away... but of course this is all a maybe and only time will tell!

BTW Congrats mate!!!

• 902 posts
    November 21, 2017 1:45 AM PST

First, congratulations. :)

Definatley join a social guild rather than a hardcore one. Take your time period of play into consideration and aim for a guild that has people playing in that range (i.e. if your going to play in the small hours, then look for a guild that is a few hours behind, that kind of thing).

I would also say that you should include your wife in the game if at all possible. MMOs can (if not controlled) get in the way of relationships and if you have a nature that gets hooked on stuff, this can become a real issue. If your wife is playing with you or understands the what the game is about first hand and also makes the same friends as yourself, then it makes it much easier, but always remember to place the game second to the families needs.

If I were you, I would also warn your potential group that you are likely to be afk (away from keyboard) from time to time (and explain why). Some players get really upset with people causing the group to stop and start. You will find some players will either quit the group or kick you out of the group, but most people are reasonabile and will cope perfectly well with a new dad's duties.

If you join a big enough guild, then finding a group shouldn't be too much of an issue, although (as pointed out) keeping up with those people might become an issue if you have less game time than them. There are usually ways around this though and a good guild members will usually keep a range of different levelled characters around for such situations or just because they fancy a change.

I have been through this very scenario and it is difficult at times to relax and play with a demanding new born on the scene, but now my youngest is thinking about university and loves fantasy and mmos! :-)

• 334 posts
    November 21, 2017 2:03 AM PST

Gratz.

Got nothing to add to Chenzeme Maybe that I never encoutered a problem with group members where 1 had a afk.
    After all, everybody can have stuff happen (doorbell, potty, power, noise, pets)
    Having 3 siamese attention craving cats, equals 1 baby (atleast they don't break stuff and potty trained, lol)

Maybe play a more supporting class then main tank/heal if you want to really avoid downtime.

• 999 posts
    November 21, 2017 4:36 AM PST

Arterius,

Welcome :).  I currently have two young children (nearly newborns still) - a 3 year old and a 1 year old - crazy enough, both were born as I've been following Pantheon since Brad annouced it September 2013 :).  And, I don't  have nearly the time that I did when I played EQ.  But, I also view that as a positive.  Much like you, I'm going to have short sessions - probably 2 hours max during the week and if lucky, on a weekend, 3-4 hours occasionally.  And to other posters points, I do get less sleep now, and I'm in THEIR world :).

But, instead of looking at it as a negative or potential issue, I look at it as a positive.  I won't experience the burnout that I did in EQ, and I know (as long as the game itself is good), I'll catch myself daydreaming and planning ahead of what my next gaming session will be to as efficient as possible.  The difference being, is my expectations are going to have to change - I won't be able to be a "server first" or most likely in the "top raiding guild," however, that doesn't mean that I still can't strive to be one of the most skilled at my class, etc.  It will just take my much longer to experience the max level/a set goal, etc.

And, as others have said, Brad and other developers have talked about designing the game around a 2 hour play session, and even if it's not always adventuring that can be done with my limited time, I will find another avenue - crafting, etc.

So - Enjoy your time with your family and congratulations!

TLDR:  I would view it as a positive instead of a potential negative:  You'll be more excited to play, not experience burnout, and not outpace the content.

• 753 posts
    November 21, 2017 6:08 AM PST

Having a 17 and 21 year old, and having played MMO's since 2000... I can add this:

1) Your play time will reduce - but - not be eliminated if you pick it as your individual recreational outlet (which, as a parent, you will need some "me" time).

2) Over time, your play time will increase if it stays your "me" outlet

3) If you can afford it, getting a good solid gaming laptop (plan on spending $3,300 - $3,3800) eases things considerably because it releases you from the one location in your house where your desktop resides.  A big win for me was being able to sit next to my wife on the couch playing (getting my me time) while she was watching TV or whatever when the kids were napping or whatever.

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 21, 2017 6:08 AM PST
    • 1785 posts
    November 21, 2017 8:07 AM PST

Arterius, from what I have observed in my friends/guildmates over the years, kids are life-changing events.  But I also know that you'll be able to make it work!  So don't worry too much :)

As others have said, finding a good guild will definitely help a lot.  My advice on both the game and guilds, for what it's worth, is take things slow to start.  Don't worry about catching up with everyone else.  So don't rush off to join the first guild you see, but instead take time to evaluate them and find the one that will really fit with your life and your new play schedule and be fulfilling in the long run.

Hope it helps, and congratulations!