Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

An idea for "Epics"

• 14 posts
    November 13, 2017 6:53 PM PST

I'd like to see epic long quests but perhaps instead of a weapon you obtain a new skill or perhaps a better version of a previous one.

• 70 posts
    November 13, 2017 7:47 PM PST

I like the idea, but I want an epic item too.  I'm just a loot bunny that way!

• 70 posts
    November 13, 2017 8:03 PM PST

Liav said:

I'm a huge fan of class specific epic-type items, and class specific loot in general. If the Soulstone was flavored for your class, I wouldn't mind that, but at the same time we'd still be missing out on the super unique weapon graphics with class flavorings.

I liked the way Vanguard did epics. They were augmentations that were slotted into the best weapons that you could find, and the weapons would take on the appearance of the epic as well as the stats bonuses and class specific effects. One thing that I think Vanguard could have done better was to allow you to toggle the appearance of your epics instead of requiring you to be stuck with it for life.

I think the Soulstone feature is a great idea in addition to more classical epics, but I wouldn't want to see it as an outright replacement. Class specific epics are just too cool.

Sums up how I feel quite nicely.  Well said.

• 248 posts
    November 14, 2017 3:42 AM PST

The more I read this thread, the more it seems like this idea will make the Soulstone mandatory. A must have.

I really appreciate the idea that in Pantheon you chose your own way. You can be a crafter, but you don't have to. You can start a quest, but you don't have to. You can join a guild/groupe, but you don't have to.

As I understand this idea you are given this Soulstone at a low level and it will grow to be powerful, so putting it in the bank would be stupid and therefore it's mandatory.

-sorte.

• 98 posts
    November 14, 2017 10:21 AM PST

I liked the EQ epics because each quest had a story involved with it. Druid epic, you were purging evil from the land. Shaman epic, you were dealing with people who'd let pride get the better of them and people who lost sight of the truth. The weapons weren't always the best, but the journey you undertook to get them was certainly epic. In the end, I don't think they should only be about the stats.

Regarding soulstones, EQ1 has something like that with the Adventurer's stone and the augment system. It's not epic, it's something you stick to your item and forget about until it's time to change. For an epic anything, I'd expect for a player to have to earn it outside of the normal leveling process. When you get a bajillion titles just for hitting level 5 or whatever, that makes it much less special because you didn't do anything specific to earn it, not to mention it was automated.