Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will there be Encumbrance?

• 3237 posts
    January 18, 2017 2:04 PM PST

Beez said: Does it have to be in a bank I was thonking how awsome if we could hide stash around the world hehe Imagine you've got a crazy heavy loot but you can't carry it away instead you stash it booby trap it and then camouflage it to return another time to pick it up but then again it would be possible to get it stolenow hehe

They had something like this in Asheron's Call.  Players would run a mule to a remote location and log them out.  They'd then run their character to same location, drop all their loot on the ground, and log back into their mule to pick it back up and put into storage.  The problem was that someone created a downloadable mod that gave a large ping sound anytime someone dropped gear onto the ground and even created a waypoint on your map for where it was being dropped.  The player using that mod would then rush to the stash spot and attempt to steal all of the drops before the mule could log back in and pick it up.  Pretty shady but funny at the same time.  I don't think there is a place for this type of stuff in any MMO because of the potential griefing and constant demand for GM intervention.  Maybe on a RP server (rogues or evil-aligned would love being the perpetrating thief in this scenario) and ONLY if there is no way for the game to be modded so that people could sense items being dropped on the ground.  In my opinion, was a worth a good laugh but would cause more trouble than it's worth.

This post was edited by oneADseven at January 18, 2017 2:07 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    January 18, 2017 7:20 PM PST

Feyshtey said:

dorotea said:

I must say I do not miss being unable to move because of carrying goods/money. I do not miss having to manage food/drink lest I starve to death. I do not miss extensive management of arrows/bolts/shurikens/thrrowing hammers lest I have nothing to pull with when I *really* do not want to use a body pull.

Looks like I'm in the minority as usual - not even remotely surprising (I shareth not the common nostalgia for the primitive days of early MMOs - I like the focus on grouping and socializing, slow leveling, death penalties etc. but I do feel that the interfaces and mechanics have improved enormously since 1999 and am not looking to go back),

I have to ask, arent there literally 100's of games that are built much more in line with your desires? I think it's entirely valid for their to be literally one game's development forum in which you're in the minority, and to which is targeted at something other than the mass market approach of every other studio. Why must this game conform? 

Not really, no. I share the same opinion as the person you replied to. There are exactly zero games that are along the lines of what I want in a game.

Edit: Well, not entirely true. The Phinigel server in EQ is about the closest thing to a game I actually like, minus all of the normal complaints I have about EQ and its mechanics.

This post was edited by Liav at January 18, 2017 7:24 PM PST
    • 999 posts
    January 19, 2017 5:03 AM PST

+1 for encumberance for me.  My thoughts from a previous thread:

Another mechanic I enjoyed was the "management/strategy" aspects of EQ. I guess this encompasses more than just one mechanic, but I liked the Inventory Management which included limited bag slots, encumberance, coin weight, etc. It added a lot to the realism and immersion playing as a Troll/Ogre in Unrest, who was hated by all nearby. I had to weigh (literally) the pros/cons of what items I should keep - bronze/fine steel, /dropping or destroying coin, asking/paying players to sell/bank for me, transfering copper/silver/gold for platinum with players and considered whether literally crawling with encumberance was worth the increased chance of death etc. Typing the previous me really appreciate a good Faction system as a gameplay mechanic as well. I want some races to be Hated.

• 2752 posts
    January 19, 2017 11:06 AM PST

I really enjoyed encumberance, even if it sucked sometimes. Vendor breaks while grouping and crawling along trying to get to/from EC tunnel was actually rather enjoyable to me, WTB SoW and a good STR buff. Having to run off and empty bags when you win a small handful of bronze pieces was great, the crawl to the vendor and then the feeling of weightlessness afterwards.

• 556 posts
    January 19, 2017 1:44 PM PST

geatz said:

Amsai said: Well I agree with not having to make alternate mules. But yea give us a way to increase bank and personal space. I think because of itemization bank space should start fairly large. But then if they make ways to increase it when you have over 200 pieces of gear for a single char might be helpful. Personal space in the form of crafting/buying magical bags of holding. Of course strength or whatever stat that governs carry weight would be another way. Also in one of the big pet threads Brad specifically mentions actual beasts of burden(kind of hoping for actual mules cause its kind of funny with how that word is normally associated).

200 peices of gear!?!  If you are going to inject preconceived ideas about this game at least use early EQ as an example since the developers are obviously looking to build upon that game.  In which case, I would assume you are lucky if you have your equipment slots filled by the time you are halfway to max and by max level, you would be content if you had some extra resistence gear.

Since they have already shown that specific artifacts will counter specific environments along with the need to have 5(?) different climate sets, multiple weapon types, etc it could very well lead to over 100 items. That's not even counting harvesting/crafting, RP gear, etc. With the way they are setting up the game I firmly believe that encumbrance will seriously hurt a lot of people. Makes me strongly reconsider going tank as well. Having to carry around extra resist sets, weapons and all would mean that you are always floating on the line of overweight. 

• 2752 posts
    January 19, 2017 2:06 PM PST

Enitzu said:

Since they have already shown that specific artifacts will counter specific environments along with the need to have 5(?) different climate sets, multiple weapon types, etc it could very well lead to over 100 items. That's not even counting harvesting/crafting, RP gear, etc. With the way they are setting up the game I firmly believe that encumbrance will seriously hurt a lot of people. Makes me strongly reconsider going tank as well. Having to carry around extra resist sets, weapons and all would mean that you are always floating on the line of overweight. 

Yes but you don't need to be carrying these things around with you all the time. You plan ahead and if you need X you go swap out at the bank. If they DO make banks local and not global though...well that will just make things a real slog. But we don't know how these specific environments will work, you might just need a single item or two to offset/enter them.  

• 556 posts
    January 19, 2017 2:40 PM PST

Iksar said:

Enitzu said:

Yes but you don't need to be carrying these things around with you all the time. You plan ahead and if you need X you go swap out at the bank. If they DO make banks local and not global though...well that will just make things a real slog. But we don't know how these specific environments will work, you might just need a single item or two to offset/enter them.  

That is true. We may not need many to offset the lower tier environments but in the beginning, no one will know. We won't even know what environments we will run into. So at least while going in blind, as a tank, I'd be carrying most of the sets. Just experience from various other games, but tanks generally are the ones that require the most resistances which means carrying the most gear. Granted we usually have much more str than say a mage but our armor also weighs a lot more. 

We are pretty sure the banks are going to be localized which could also pose an issue. Even if you have the right gear in the right area, it could be a 45 min trek back to it to get your other resist gear. Really won't be able to make any kind of informed decision on this stuff till we get in game and see just how things are playing out. 

• 333 posts
    January 27, 2017 8:53 AM PST

+1 for encumberance for me.

I think it is a positive addition to allow stats to have more of a effect on a character. Ie str = carry more.

It also opens up addition item creation design options . IE bag of holding or reduced encumberance.

• 3016 posts
    January 27, 2017 1:23 PM PST

I always felt sorry for newbies...yes they would be in Greater Faydark begging for money, weapons, gear.  Yes they were annoying.   But some "clever" folks would offer to give them money and then load them down with a couple thousand coppers..and there they were stuck to the ground.   Ah well..these things happen.  Lesson learned?   Don't know, still felt sorry for them.