Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will there be Encumbrance?

• 170 posts
    January 16, 2017 3:56 PM PST

Encumbrance was a cool part of Everquest not only did you have limited bag space but you couldn't just carry anything you wanted. It made Farming Fine Steel weapons difficult, or the Cash of Treants, or mining stuff. You have to take the bare minimum stuff with you so you had space and you'd put on all strength items and get a shaman to buff your speed and strength. Or you'd have to make a dozen trips to a merchant to sell off stuff and bank. But sometimes you'd get something you wanted on your last pull and have to decide what to drop on the ground so you could loot it. Will there be encumbrance?

This post was edited by Abacda at January 19, 2017 5:12 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:10 PM PST

The last I heard, encumbrance is in.

• 142 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:14 PM PST

If you watch the latest Twitch stream, you can see a "weight" category on the character/inventory screen.

There wasn't a number next to it, but I think its a good indication Encumbrance will be a game feature.

• 170 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:19 PM PST

Awesome thanks guys. I did watch the stream all 3 hours but I was also doing other stuff so I missed the weight.

This post was edited by Abacda at January 19, 2017 5:12 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:24 PM PST

We will discuss this in more detail further down the track ;)

• 780 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:29 PM PST

I also miss this feature.  Hope to see it again.

• 234 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:32 PM PST

I remember dying once due to too much copper/gold and falling off a step at the bank :P

Be cool if they included extra fall damage for being overweight.

• 17 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:43 PM PST

Hmm encumbered... limited bag space, no global banks, need for gear for different group needs, plus gear to fit weather needs. Screams 30 mule alts just to play one or two main chars.

• 2130 posts
    January 16, 2017 5:50 PM PST

Saoirse said:

Hmm encumbered... limited bag space, no global banks, need for gear for different group needs, plus gear to fit weather needs. Screams 30 mule alts just to play one or two main chars.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to mules.

• 58 posts
    January 16, 2017 6:04 PM PST
    Encumbrance brings alot of good ideas for new features such as mules but not alt mules but real mules have animalry be a part of the game.

This would bring out a whole variety.
    Mules but you meed to feed the mules so another money sink.
    Now what about carts that mules pulls and it's maintenance.
    Then there is caravans if you want to move stash from one town to another. Dangers of getting ambushed and loosing it. Hiring players to help transfer your stash if you decide to change main city.

There is a lot of possibilities think about the mule and cart you bring along to your adventures you can't bring them in caves so you got to leave it outside. How will it be protected. You going to find camouflage for it? Will there be camps you could create with traps? Or guarded by players?

So yes I want to see Encumbrance in the game and it needs to be done the right way and I feel it will be done the right way otherwise I would not have pledge :)
    Cheers
    • 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 6:45 PM PST

Short answer:  Yes encumbrance.

• 52 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:01 PM PST

Liav said:

Saoirse said:

Agreed. Just give us the bank space or option to get bank space. One way or the other we are going to store our items. Having to make and run alts around to do it is ridiculous. 

• 1618 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:06 PM PST

Prominus said:

Liav said:

Saoirse said:

Agreed. Just give us the bank space or option to get bank space. One way or the other we are going to store our items. Having to make and run alts around to do it is ridiculous. 

Yup, and with the unlimited bank space, they should just give you epic weapon and gear. No restrictions. Max level, day one.

• 52 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:10 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Prominus said:

Liav said:

Saoirse said:

Yup, and with the unlimited bank space, they should just give you epic weapon and gear. No restrictions. Max level, day one.

You should rethink your comparison. It doesn't make sense.

• 284 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:13 PM PST

Fwiw weight requirements were one of the things that led to a vibrant community of houses in the Skyrim modding community. Some things, like the Dragonborn Museum, are just masterpieces of what should be available. I'm looking forward to way to display weighty (no pun intended) quest items, trophy cases and such.

• 780 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:21 PM PST

I hope coin has weight in PRF, and I miss mules, also.  LOL.

• 3852 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:36 PM PST

I must say I do not miss being unable to move because of carrying goods/money. I do not miss having to manage food/drink lest I starve to death. I do not miss extensive management of arrows/bolts/shurikens/thrrowing hammers lest I have nothing to pull with when I *really* do not want to use a body pull.

Looks like I'm in the minority as usual - not even remotely surprising (I shareth not the common nostalgia for the primitive days of early MMOs - I like the focus on grouping and socializing, slow leveling, death penalties etc. but I do feel that the interfaces and mechanics have improved enormously since 1999 and am not looking to go back),

• 2130 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:12 PM PST

Beefcake said:

Prominus said:

Liav said:

Saoirse said:

What do epic weapons, gear, and levels have to do with banks?

• 1399 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:45 PM PST

Liav said:

Beefcake said:

Prominus said:

Liav said:

Saoirse said:

What do epic weapons, gear, and levels have to do with banks?

Wanting everything handed to them and easy, instead of building it (bank space) by like adding backpacks or crafting boxes to increase your space, Removing the RPG from the MMORPG and turning it into a (what do they call it) MOBA (battle arena).

He made sence to me, I totally understood it.

• 58 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:51 PM PST

I'll be honest i miss this and scrounging to find bags/boxes with weight reduction. :)

• 839 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:55 PM PST

I think it is a good system! Makes life a bit more challenging sure, but there are lots of ways to get around it but they do all take a bit of effort or planning.  I used to call on a wizzie in EQ who was making it his in game business doing bank runs for people for a fee.  You could also get a teleport to somewhere close to a bank from a teleporting class or sell your wares at the closest mechant to where you are.  The more you experience encumbrance the more you work out how to prepare your inventory before you go out into the world or maybe keep a few +Str items on your person or ask around for a +Str buff or run speed buff from some other players to help out with the trip to rid yourself of the weight.  It also adds a nice avenue for crafters to be producing weight reduction bags and jewlers to make +str equipment for more than just +Str using classes.

I can completely understand why people dont like the inconvenience of it, its just somthing you learn to deal with as you progress and eventually if you keep an eye on your inventory you will be able to balance it out.  I think it just adds a bit of realism which i like

• 191 posts
    January 17, 2017 8:41 AM PST

Systems like encumberence, while occasionally annoying, /do/ allow for fun social dynamics.  For example, finding a mage to summon you a bag of holding or somesuch - instant social interaction.  It's us versus the world, and encumberence is just another way for the world to kick us in the balls.

• 1778 posts
    January 17, 2017 9:28 AM PST
    Well I agree with not having to make alternate mules. But yea give us a way to increase bank and personal space. I think because of itemization bank space should start fairly large. But then if they make ways to increase it when you have over 200 pieces of gear for a single char might be helpful. Personal space in the form of crafting/buying magical bags of holding. Of course strength or whatever stat that governs carry weight would be another way. Also in one of the big pet threads Brad specifically mentions actual beasts of burden(kind of hoping for actual mules cause its kind of funny with how that word is normally associated).
    • 318 posts
    January 17, 2017 9:33 AM PST

Kilsin said:

We will discuss this in more detail further down the track ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the winky face emoji means yes. ;)

• 105 posts
    January 17, 2017 10:06 AM PST

Amsai said: Well I agree with not having to make alternate mules. But yea give us a way to increase bank and personal space. I think because of itemization bank space should start fairly large. But then if they make ways to increase it when you have over 200 pieces of gear for a single char might be helpful. Personal space in the form of crafting/buying magical bags of holding. Of course strength or whatever stat that governs carry weight would be another way. Also in one of the big pet threads Brad specifically mentions actual beasts of burden(kind of hoping for actual mules cause its kind of funny with how that word is normally associated).

200 peices of gear!?!  If you are going to inject preconceived ideas about this game at least use early EQ as an example since the developers are obviously looking to build upon that game.  In which case, I would assume you are lucky if you have your equipment slots filled by the time you are halfway to max and by max level, you would be content if you had some extra resistence gear.