Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 3237 posts
    February 7, 2018 2:15 PM PST

Watemper said:

Yeah, but those seem to be big events. I would go farther and do smaller events in noob zones with triggers like the Gnolls and Werewolves have a fight with two event triggered names that can be killed and drops some cool loot.

Indeed.  The more events like these, the better.  It reinforces the ideology that paying attention to what's going on in the world can feel very rewarding.  I imagine events of all sizes and with a variety of triggers.  The event system is something that I am extremely excited about and I think it will play a major role in Terminus feeling like a living breathing world.  The significance of dynamic content is monumental.  Groundhog Day Syndrome has been an issue in every MMO I have ever played, with some handling it better than others.  It's a wonderful pain point to consider when you aim to evolve the genre; the desire for dynamic content has lingered in the minds of the players for years and years, always wondering when we would get to the point where MMO's would truly take it to the next level.  Every obstacle is an opportunity to overcome something and this one in particular could distinguish Pantheon from every other game out there.

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 7, 2018 2:51 PM PST
    • 258 posts
    February 7, 2018 5:50 PM PST

If staff would be okay with it, I'd like to see the most recent version of the 1AD7's idea (GoD) in a new post. That way he could just keep the OP up to date as the idea evolves. I think the idea has a lot of merit and is going in a good direction, but several people now seem to be having trouble following the idea's evolution through the various posts (I had trouble, too, when I first joined the thread). Very interested to see its progress continue. 

• 1315 posts
    February 7, 2018 5:55 PM PST

In a previous post of mine I added edit tags before the original post and put in the updated version at the top so that new readers would start with the developed idea not what I was able to pour out in my first typing.

• 258 posts
    February 7, 2018 5:57 PM PST

Trasak said:

In a previous post of mine I added edit tags before the original post and put in the updated version at the top so that new readers would start with the developed idea not what I was able to pour out in my first typing.

That's not a bad idea. Maybe direct people from OP to begin discussion on Page 5 as well. :P

• 3237 posts
    February 7, 2018 7:18 PM PST

Thanks for the suggestion Trasak!

• 696 posts
    February 8, 2018 8:59 AM PST

Few more ideas:

Well with the discussion on the real world trigger events that this interesting dungeon could do, I was thinking that this could some how be the core of the world that you would need to teleport to or have an npc do it after enough faction.

Or another vivid thought I had was some weird ancient rubix cube looking artifact floating in the sky, and maybe with this weather system it could float across zones. It could also have an animation effect of the squares, which signify the levels, changing ever so often.

• 258 posts
    February 10, 2018 10:54 AM PST

More horizontal progression reward ideas:

These ideas are mostly in the context of a horizontal-progression raid dungeon, and let's assume that most of this loot would be rare - ultra-rare. Keep in mind that these kinds of rewards would be the driving force behind encouraging players to experience the content.

Consumables: These could drop uncommonly from all monsters. These consumables could have a wide range of benefits, like instantly restore a small amount of HP, mana, or a little bit of both, increase health regen (buff), increase mana regen (buff), increase stats (buff). To avoid substantial balance issues, make these all share one 20 minute cooldown. The idea behind this was inspired by Whipper Root Tubers and Night Dragon's Breath from WoW. These were consumables offered in the early days of WoW that instantly restored HP or a little HP/Mana. During the race to be the first guild to kill Ragnaros, a stockpile of these was a raid requirement for everyone. I continued to use them--quite effectively--up through level 70 dungeons. They weren't super powerful and had a 4 minute cooldown (or thereabouts), and they also shared a cooldown, but they were sure nice to have.

One-time use Resurrection scrolls (Ultra-rare): 50% xp res.

Single "Title scroll" drop from raid bosses (Ultra-rare): When you kill a raid boss, there is a chance for a "title scroll" to drop. These might drop once every 50 or 100 kills.

Single "Title scroll" drop from all mobs (Ultra-rare): Killing any mob can yield a "title scroll" drop. These drop off maybe 1 in 3000 kills (off raid mobs). These titles could be things like: "Lord" and "Lady" or "Duke" and "Duchess" or "Magister" and "Magistra".

Will keep thinking about stuff, trying to come up with more rewards. The above and the other rewards mentioned in earlier posts would definitely be enough to keep me busy for a looong time and would definitely pull me away from more competitive vertical-progression camps.

This post was edited by Kaen at February 10, 2018 10:54 AM PST
    • 3237 posts
    February 10, 2018 11:20 AM PST

@Kaen  --  Do you think it should be possible to take the consumables outside of the dungeon?  I think it would be fine and would probably lead to scenarios similar to what you described where players might purposely farm this dungeon in hopes of acquiring some of these consumables, even if they only plan on using them for content outside.  I'm not sure how I feel about rez scrolls but if they are ultra-rare I think it could work, but it would really depend on other aspects of the game.  I have no issue with title scrolls but I think there should be opportunities to acquire them elsewhere in the game as well.  The availability of raid content in this dungeon could be a selling point on why someone might choose to try and farm them here as opposed to other locations that might not offer the same kind of long-term replay value.  All in all, I like your train of thought for itemization and the emphasis on rarity.  If you look at the Coliseum thread, it might be possible to also allow the "tickets" to drop from the names in GoD as I think it would reinforce the idea of drawing people away from the more vertical oriented camps.

• 258 posts
    February 10, 2018 11:37 AM PST

oneADseven said:

@Kaen  --  Do you think it should be possible to take the consumables outside of the dungeon?  I think it would be fine and would probably lead to scenarios similar to what you described where players might purposely farm this dungeon in hopes of acquiring some of these consumables, even if they only plan on using them for content outside.  I'm not sure how I feel about rez scrolls but if they are ultra-rare I think it could work, but it would really depend on other aspects of the game.  I have no issue with title scrolls but I think there should be opportunities to acquire them elsewhere in the game as well.  The availability of raid content in this dungeon could be a selling point on why someone might choose to try and farm them here as opposed to other locations that might not offer the same kind of long-term replay value.  All in all, I like your train of thought for itemization and the emphasis on rarity.  If you look at the Coliseum thread, it might be possible to also allow the "tickets" to drop from the names in GoD as I think it would reinforce the idea of drawing people away from the more vertical oriented camps.

First Highlight: Absolutely. I think that would draw a lot of people to the dungeon and allow for some attainable tangible rewards. Ideally, some of the deeper content in this dungeon would encourage people to use these items as well.

Second Highlight: Agreed. I don't think they would be necessary since I believe most healers will have rez, but I think they could find use in some more obscure situations.

Third Highlight: I'll have to look at that thread, but that sounds like it would be pretty awesome. If I understand correctly, killing bosses here essentially allows players who attain these tickets to spawn other bosses elsewhere that have a chance to drop vertical-progression loot?

• 3237 posts
    February 10, 2018 12:05 PM PST

Here is a link to the Coliseum thread:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5217/coliseum

Basically, any mob higher than level 40 would have a very small chance of dropping a ticket, with named NPC's having an improved drop rate compared to everything else.  The idea for the coliseum was to basically offer an experience similar to what BCNM's were in FFXI (You can turn-in rare coins to "force-pop" a challenging encounter) but rather than using instances it would be a large open area where players can congregate or even spectate others.  I didn't speculate on the coliseum loot too much but the basic idea behind it was to offer some nice situational pieces.  If you think about the loot philosophy for this game, I think it would make plenty of sense to use the Coliseum as an "alternative" to acquiring some of these items.  It's my understanding that we most likely won't see all of the powerful items gated behind a single camp and that players should have options with how they go about acquiring some of the more desirable loot.  The coliseum could help facilitate that goal, and the GoD could serve as a complimentary option for people that are looking to acquire tickets to spend at the coliseum.  The sticky point for me is removing the "linear" gameplay that is often associated with vertical progression.  The more you can encourage players to span out, the better.

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 10, 2018 12:17 PM PST
    • 13 posts
    February 11, 2018 2:30 PM PST

Shared Quests:  I know the idea has been beat to death but what if I met a farmer that was having problems with some orcs and he said he'd pay if I would take care of them. The orcs are pretty strong and I don't think that I can take them myself.  Later I meet up with some friends and tell them about the group of orcs.   (do I tell them about the deal with the farmer or not)  If I don't, we go kill the orcs, I go back to the farmer and collect all the reward for my greedy little self.  But lets say I am not so greedy and want to be a good friend.  I tell the group about the farmer (I share the quest) when we are done we go back to the farmer and collect a share of the reward each.  I guess it wouldn't work well if the reward was an item.

• 217 posts
    February 11, 2018 6:33 PM PST

Not a fan of this in Pantheon as for me, it would be less immersive to the core game. Its got a feel of a carnival raid experience... GR8 stand alone game idea though!

• 13 posts
    February 11, 2018 7:09 PM PST

I assume XP would be XP.  To me it makes sense that the farmer wouldn't pay out the same reward to everyone who came by and completed the quest.  That he would split the reward among the group the completed the task.  In fact it would be cool if he stopped giving the quest once the target was eliminated, so maybe would even be a limited time available.  

• 1714 posts
    June 27, 2018 9:30 PM PDT

nm sorry

This post was edited by Keno Monster at June 27, 2018 9:32 PM PDT