Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Wish to issue a general apology.

• 3016 posts
    December 14, 2016 11:06 AM PST

Martell said: I was an ass the other night - post work Christmas party. I was drunk and angry. Most of the points I made I actually do believe, but under normal circumstances I would never be so rude. Community- I apologize. (I really was shitfaced, I have no idea why I came here.)

It's okay Martell we all have days like that.  :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    December 14, 2016 11:08 AM PST

RumorHasit said:

@Martell  Look on the bright side... you got drunk and spoke too harshly and then apoligized.  Problem solved!  At least you didn't get drunk and then decide it was Friday Night Drunk Night IN GAME too and peer pressure your WHOLE group into stripping down nekkid and running dungeons with the ONLY allowable gear and items being what they looted while playing.... only to wake up Saturday morning with a whole lot of hungover friends, corpses to find, and XP to re-earn...... (now THAT would be hard to live down.... /meh!!! :>)

Wait a minute...that sounds fun,  what's wrong with that? :D

Cana

• 578 posts
    December 16, 2016 11:26 PM PST

So, let me ask you this...how do you feel about the revolutionary perception system found within Pantheon??

What? Too soon?? ;-D

All jokes aside, I didn't read every post in that discussion so I don't know exactly how far things went. We all make mistakes man, it's what we do with those mistakes that distinguishes us from each other. And though I don't feel like I need an apology, I accept it.

• 3852 posts
    December 17, 2016 8:23 AM PST

I wasn't here at the time so was unaffected by whatever you said. No need to buy me a chicken by way of reparations. No harm, no fowl.

• 781 posts
    December 17, 2016 11:57 AM PST

zippyzee said:

As a simple note--I for one read just about every forum post. Given the size of the team right now we cannot work on every system at once. Some are further along than others. Some are mainly ideas. I appreciate constructive criticism--I like this idea and here are some others. Or even I don't like the way this sounds. Here is why. Here are some suggestions.

I have a binder that I keep with me where I write these things down. Some ideas or desires are the complete opposite of what other people want. That is natural and sometimes we creatively will have to decide what to do. We expect our community to debate those differences with respect--we all have different wants and expectations and that is a matter of preference and not truth.

As Kilsin said, the Twitch stream shows a lot of very early work. It's funny to read passionate posts about how unfinished the game looks right alongside posts about how the game looks finished and everone should be able to play right now. The fact is that some things look pretty fun (and are) and others are not. I wouldn't say any of us are gloating about things like the quest or perception system. We certainly want to explain the philosophy and what we expect to do and generate discussion in the community and internally. But it is basically everything you just saw so far. It has had very little work done and may be nothing like that in the end. Some things require trust. Trust that the right people with the right experience will make the right decisions. I have watched many games fail because a dev team had some specific ideas about how things should work but they weren't fun. And rather than change them they stuck to their guns anyway. Part of showing and discussing game components in an early stage are to avoid falling into that trap. On the other hand we expect our community to work with us rather than make broad assumptions to use as fodder against us.

I was very tempted to chime in and address these things last night but won't do so if it is in the middle of posts motivated by either contempt or disrespect, as that isn't productive. If you want my ear you need to be mindful that we are gamers like you, we work intimately on this project as a true team, and we want to make a game that we will all play together for many years. So construct that criticism and deliver it in a thoughtful manner, and you'll get results whenever possible.

The main thing we need for success is a community backing us. A community that gets people interested and excited about our game. This leads to new investments and new opportunities. Trashing us on the forums likely has the opposite effect, even if the feedback is valid. We don't want to stifle dissent when it can lead to productive discussion. That happens internally as well.

I know communication has not always been what it should be. There are reasons for that--some good, some not. Do realize we are watching and it doesn't require a ton of posts and argument for us to get the point.

I personally appreciate each and every one of you for putting your time and money on the stake, and that we take that seriously and value all thoughts and ideas. You are also welcome to private message me with particular concerns. I can't be an open book for the team, as that is not my role, but I can make sure your concerns are addressed.

Zippyzee

Awesome  reply ZippyZee ! :)  Why I love you guys, this has to be the best Dev Team I have come across in all my years of gaming.  You guys are like the next door neighbor who always wants to pet my dog, just calm cool and collective and always has the right words to say.  Brad is definitely blessed to have you guys on the VR Team :)  

This post was edited by Kelem at December 17, 2016 11:58 AM PST