Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Early Death Mechanics?

• 180 posts
    • 595 posts
    December 6, 2016 1:39 PM PST

I see some corpse runs inc on the upcoming Twitch stream ;)  Might we even get some answers about Shaman heals (and resurrect)??

• 2886 posts
    December 6, 2016 1:43 PM PST

Nikademis said:

I see some corpse runs inc on the upcoming Twitch stream ;)  Might we even get some answers about Shaman heals (and resurrect)??

lol they've confirmed there'll be no corpse runs. I do hope we see some resurrection/death penalties tho!

• 294 posts
    December 6, 2016 1:53 PM PST

Gotta love a pile of old dried bones. Where is the loot?

Thanks for posting. Good one.

• 1778 posts
    December 6, 2016 2:37 PM PST
    @ Bazgrim
    You mean no corpse runs for the the stream?
    • 211 posts
    December 6, 2016 3:11 PM PST

There wouldn't be a corpse left in the world if you weren't expected to recover it. I suspect you will need to make a corpse run to recover lost exp from death, that is what I have seen them leaning towards, as opposed to losing your gear ala EQ. Guess we'll see in the stream.

• 595 posts
    December 6, 2016 3:16 PM PST

AgentGenX said:

There wouldn't be a corpse left in the world if you weren't expected to recover it. I suspect you will need to make a corpse run to recover lost exp from death, that is what I have seen them leaning towards, as opposed to losing your gear ala EQ. Guess we'll see in the stream.

I'm almost certain @Bazgrim simply means there will be no corpse runs during the stream.  The team as never once said there will be no corpse runs in game - there would be no end to the uproar.

• 180 posts
    December 6, 2016 3:22 PM PST

I really don't see anything wrong with EQ style corpse runs and I hope all options are on the table during testing

Although, if corpses were only needed to get back experience through resurrections and there was no way to summon a corpse.that would be a tough death penalty. 

This post was edited by Thanakos at December 6, 2016 5:22 PM PST
    • 211 posts
    December 6, 2016 3:30 PM PST

Nikademis said:

I'm almost certain @Bazgrim simply means there will be no corpse runs during the stream.  The team as never once said there will be no corpse runs in game - there would be no end to the uproar.

My mistake. That makes sense. 

• 172 posts
    December 6, 2016 5:17 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Nikademis said:

lol they've confirmed there'll be no corpse runs. I do hope we see some resurrection/death penalties tho!

I don't think that is entirely true..  its been stated that you might need to recover your corpse for xp at the least.. the death penalty is something they're gonna have to test also, I'm sure just like everything else right now that it is also subject to change. 

And if you're referring to the stream.. I might as well be Jon snow.. I know nothing

This post was edited by Aayden at December 6, 2016 6:10 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    December 6, 2016 6:16 PM PST

Aayden said:

Bazgrim said:

Nikademis said:

I don't think that is entirely true..  its been stated that you might need to recover your corpse for xp at the least.. the death penalty is something they're gonna have to test also, I'm sure just like everything else right now that it is also subject to change. 

And if you're referring to the stream.. I might as well be Jon snow.. I know nothing

I am 99% sure I heard Kils say on a vid or podcast that there won't be corpse runs, but that was also a long while ago and also could have just meant that you won't have to go back to get your gear. Maybe I'm the only one, but that's what I think of when I hear corpse runs. There are plenty of ways to get XP back so in many cases it may not be worth returning to your corpse. But when your gear is still on your corpse... now that's a corpse run lol.

I will continue trying to dig for info, but it does seem like as of now it's most probably that the only reason to run back to your corpse would be to recover some XP.

As usual, remember your grains of salt. Things are subject to change and hopefully the stream will shed some light on it. Sorry for the confusion.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 6, 2016 6:18 PM PST
    • 172 posts
    December 6, 2016 6:33 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Aayden said:

Bazgrim said:

Nikademis said:

I am 99% sure I heard Kils say on a vid or podcast that there won't be corpse runs, but that was also a long while ago and also could have just meant that you won't have to go back to get your gear. Maybe I'm the only one, but that's what I think of when I hear corpse runs. There are plenty of ways to get XP back so in many cases it may not be worth returning to your corpse. But when your gear is still on your corpse... now that's a corpse run lol.

I will continue trying to dig for info, but it does seem like as of now it's most probably that the only reason to run back to your corpse would be to recover some XP.

As usual, remember your grains of salt. Things are subject to change and hopefully the stream will shed some light on it. Sorry for the confusion.

I do recall hearing that also, I don't think they intend to have you spawn naked and recover everything on your body.  but once again were not really gonna know until we know.

• 1434 posts
    December 6, 2016 9:01 PM PST

I'm just going to channel my inner Hieromonk and say I think those hoping for weak death penalties are in for a rude awakening.

• 595 posts
    December 6, 2016 9:23 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I'm just going to channel my inner Hieromonk and say I think those hoping for weak death penalties are in for a rude awakening.

Haha.  I'm having a very strong feeling of deja vu...

• 172 posts
    December 6, 2016 10:37 PM PST

Dullahan said:

A harsh death penalty has been lacking in so many games for so long.  I'd fully be in favor of recovering my body and my gear..

Death penalties that are harsh make you respect the environment so much and the impact of death I feel like has been lost.  you shouldn't want to die in my opinion, death shouldn't be a slap on the wrist 

• 9115 posts
    December 7, 2016 1:14 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Aayden said:

Bazgrim said:

Nikademis said:

I don't recall saying that man, corpse runs are in right now to a degree (if you die you can run back to your corpse and loot it but it isn't balanced and it doesn't apply any penalties at the moment, still a work in progress), but it is very unlikely we will show it during the stream due to the time limits.

• 172 posts
    December 7, 2016 1:41 AM PST

Kilsin said:

I don't recall saying that man, corpse runs are in right now to a degree (if you die you can run back to your corpse and loot it but it isn't balanced and it doesn't apply any penalties at the moment, still a work in progress), but it is very unlikely we will show it during the stream due to the time limits.

thank you for the clarification kilsin :) our voice of reason.

• 9115 posts
    December 7, 2016 5:33 AM PST

Aayden said:

Kilsin said:

thank you for the clarification kilsin :) our voice of reason.

You're very welcome my friend :)

• 2130 posts
    December 7, 2016 5:49 AM PST

Kilsin said:

corpse runs are in right now to a degree (if you die you can run back to your corpse and loot it)

Most disappointing thing I've read here. :(

• 116 posts
    December 7, 2016 5:53 AM PST

I hope it's not so harsh that nobody ever takes any risks.  But then again it may keep those faint of heart out of dungeons and raids so there may be an upside.

• 801 posts
    December 7, 2016 5:58 AM PST

Aayden said:

Dullahan said:

A harsh death penalty has been lacking in so many games for so long.  I'd fully be in favor of recovering my body and my gear..

Death penalties that are harsh make you respect the environment so much and the impact of death I feel like has been lost.  you shouldn't want to die in my opinion, death shouldn't be a slap on the wrist 

You know why? It is exactly the same thing my grandfather said to me... Oh man have times changed. I remember back in the day i used to walk miles and miles to get to school.

I had the bus..15-30 minutes to get to school... Up at 7:30am, rush out the door at 7:59am to catch the bus for 8am LOL

Today it is exactly the same way, back then we used to have a very serious death penility, but today it is the new xbox cod style save and reload.

Unless the "whole" development culture changes around the world and set defaults like we had in EQ, i am afraid we will not head back that way. Sure you may find a game or two, but not many for long.

The chinese style game play, clones after clones are so easy to play. I just dont get it, and i dont like it. I found WOW very easy to play at beta, live.

• 801 posts
    December 7, 2016 6:04 AM PST

itvar said:

I hope it's not so harsh that nobody ever takes any risks.  But then again it may keep those faint of heart out of dungeons and raids so there may be an upside.

I would be willing to have the same way we have it now in EQ. IT will take you closer to the zones, maybe 1 or 2 away but never directly to the zone you died in. We want to still play the game, not CR for 4 hours and play for 15 minutes.

• 2130 posts
    December 7, 2016 6:15 AM PST

Crazzie said:

You know why? It is exactly the same thing my grandfather said to me... Oh man have times changed. I remember back in the day i used to walk miles and miles to get to school.

I had the bus..15-30 minutes to get to school... Up at 7:30am, rush out the door at 7:59am to catch the bus for 8am LOL

Today it is exactly the same way, back then we used to have a very serious death penility, but today it is the new xbox cod style save and reload.

Unless the "whole" development culture changes around the world and set defaults like we had in EQ, i am afraid we will not head back that way. Sure you may find a game or two, but not many for long.

The chinese style game play, clones after clones are so easy to play. I just dont get it, and i dont like it. I found WOW very easy to play at beta, live.

Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, and "chinese style game play" are incomparable to games with classic mechanics like EQ. Not sure why it's even being referenced here.

Literal apples and oranges. World of Warcraft has some of the most challenging raid content of any MMO that has ever existed, as well as a massive amount of diversity. The first 5 years of EQ's life were encounters that you could simply zerg with numbers and auto attack to death. The only people who even remotely had to pay attention were CH rot Clerics and occasionally a tank would eat a DT.

The leveling experience of World of Warcraft is relatively simple and straightforward. However, calling the game "easy" as a whole is simply misleading. Nothing in EQ even remotely approaches some of the challenging content that World of Warcraft has, regardless of if that content is restricted to endgame.

Crazzie said:

I would be willing to have the same way we have it now in EQ. IT will take you closer to the zones, maybe 1 or 2 away but never directly to the zone you died in. We want to still play the game, not CR for 4 hours and play for 15 minutes.

Unless they changed something in the 2 years since I played live, you respawn at your bind point whenever you die.

This post was edited by Liav at December 7, 2016 6:16 AM PST
    • 801 posts
    December 7, 2016 6:28 AM PST

Liav said:

Crazzie said:

Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, and "chinese style game play" are incomparable to games with classic mechanics like EQ. Not sure why it's even being referenced here.

Literal apples and oranges. World of Warcraft has some of the most challenging raid content of any MMO that has ever existed, as well as a massive amount of diversity. The first 5 years of EQ's life were encounters that you could simply zerg with numbers and auto attack to death. The only people who even remotely had to pay attention were CH rot Clerics and occasionally a tank would eat a DT.

The leveling experience of World of Warcraft is relatively simple and straightforward. However, calling the game "easy" as a whole is simply misleading. Nothing in EQ even remotely approaches some of the challenging content that World of Warcraft has, regardless of if that content is restricted to endgame.

Crazzie said:

Unless they changed something in the 2 years since I played live, you respawn at your bind point whenever you die.

Many games changed the way the Old EQ was in the day. EQ itself also changed a fair bit with corpse rot.

Those games need to be mentioned, because i believe they dummed down the real "Hardcore" days of EQ. Without them being mentioned then we cant fault anyone but the EQ devs for dumming down a system that was in place.

Since alpha, beta, release of EQ we had to run zone to zone. Portals where being used, but it was rather hard to find a druid, wiz for that CR run. Bind points for casters, or getting a bind could get you closer.

Bind allowance was really the only easy part we had on getting closer to the death zones like dungeons. Finding the druid, or Wiz was very difficult then.

With all the portals, i never used bind much again. It was a shame, but understood being the size it was and to mobile a guild to a raid.

Take much of what i say back in 1999, until 2016 for EQ i played too many years of it.

Like i was saying before i would be ok with keeping it 1 to 2 zones away, unless the zone allowed for binds. If we even have bind again.

• 2130 posts
    December 7, 2016 7:25 AM PST

By the time World of Warcraft came out, EQ had already passed what many to consider to be the "classic" era (Vanilla-Velious) by several years. World of Warcraft wasn't even a game yet when EQ became "easy".

That said, the 1999 era of EQ can not be reproduced. Even a server like P99 that is as close as it gets has an entire chat channel dedicated to finding ports. Transportation will never be as challenging as it was in vanilla EQ due to the simple fact that computers, the internet, two decades of MMO knowledge, and various other factors have fundamentally changed the way people perceive MMOs.

Doing away with corpse looting is one of the best changes they ever made to EQ, in my opinion. XP loss is also negligible, which I'm perfectly fine with.