Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

First person rendering?

This topic has been closed.
    • 793 posts
    September 2, 2016 6:06 AM PDT

Not sure if EQ had 3rd person at launch or not, but I don't think I even discovered it until I was in my 30's :)

Guess I was go used to Duke Nukem, Castle Wolfenstien and Shadow Warrior that it just seemed natural to me :P

• 86 posts
    September 2, 2016 7:02 AM PDT

I have a sneaky suspicion that some encounters will be nearly impossible if locked into first person. So if there is a server with a special rulset that was 1st person only, good luck to those enchanters and off tanks with quickly seeing adds that come from any which way.

• 2138 posts
    September 2, 2016 7:29 AM PDT

I prefer first person, keeps you sharp. Have to constantly keep looking around, animated, involved- especially for adds.

Learn that sublte ballet to get out of anothers line of vision, especially the CC person.

Likewise when travelling, having to veer a little to the left or right to see if the another is still in the pack- and likewise the other, sensing the need for this, then comments in chat their general whereabouts- as the situation needs it and not all the time. "whoah guys, I got stuck in a tree..." and One or two stops, and turns, makes eye contact, losing ground from the others.

Once acknowledged that the other, previously stuck, now sees you ( because you can see them) and you turn and start running, knowing the other is behind you just "there". And as you do the leaders who did not stop also pause and turn to see where eveyone is- and once acknowledged, continue.

You hang back because the persojn ahead knows where they are going and when they turn, you do- making it important to the leader to stiop when they take that right angle in a  three way branch in a dungeon- effectivelky vanishing to you behind them- so when you stop and pivot left or right to find them, they have stopped anticipating you to need to find them, to then go on. Alot of stop and go in dungeons untill you learn them.

Likewise in dungeons, have to look around peek around conrers, re-position....deal with it. Learn "personal space" and conscienciousness.

• 134 posts
    September 3, 2016 9:23 PM PDT

The main thing about first person I want to know... do they have first person animations? You know in EQ when you were auto attacking your camera lunged forward a bit? THAT. When they added the Drakkin race they didn't have the camera thing and it was jarring.

Also camera heights. If I'm a halfling I want the first person camera to be short like I am supposed to be.

• 9 posts
    May 16, 2017 10:42 AM PDT

With the recent streams, I thought this thread was worth a resurection.  We saw a lot of third person pulling, and peaking around corners in the streams.  I can't stand that.  In game mechanics should cover that, not camera zooms or other trickery.

I know for most going first person only would be a deal breaker.  I do humbly ask and would applaud the creation of a first person only server once P:ROTF goes live.  To me it  cranks the immersion up to 11.

Please consider it!

-Chris

This post was edited by trukk at May 16, 2017 10:42 AM PDT
    • 1618 posts
    May 16, 2017 10:44 AM PDT

All the movement in first person upsets my stomache.

• 2886 posts
    May 16, 2017 10:50 AM PDT

trukk said:

With the recent streams, I thought this thread was worth a resurection.  We saw a lot of third person pulling, and peaking around corners in the streams.  I can't stand that.  In game mechanics should cover that, not camera zooms or other trickery.

I know for most going first person only would be a deal breaker.  I do humbly ask and would applaud the creation of a first person only server once P:ROTF goes live.  To me it  cranks the immersion up to 11.

Please consider it!

-Chris

That was suggested here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1922/idea-suggestion-realism-immersion-server

Basically, the answer is VR will consider it if and only if there is a large enough playerbase interested in supporting it.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 16, 2017 10:50 AM PDT
    • 9 posts
    May 16, 2017 10:54 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

trukk said:

Please consider it!

-Chris

That was suggested here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1922/idea-suggestion-realism-immersion-server

Basically, the answer is VR will consider it if and only if there is a large enough playerbase interested in supporting it.

Which was why I was bringing it back up.  I'd like to see some support for this idea.  I think it's a non issue for a lot of folks, however for some of the more old school and more RP centric folks, it is important.

-Chris

• 2886 posts
    May 16, 2017 11:06 AM PDT

trukk said:

Bazgrim said:

trukk said:

Please consider it!

-Chris

Which was why I was bringing it back up.  I'd like to see some support for this idea.  I think it's a non issue for a lot of folks, however for some of the more old school and more RP centric folks, it is important.

-Chris

Understood. You're more than welcome to revisit the discussion in the original thread. But keep in mind VR probably won't seriously consider an immersion server till after launch. (See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1935/server-rulesets)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 16, 2017 11:10 AM PDT
    • 417 posts
    May 16, 2017 11:56 AM PDT

If there is an immersion server, I'll definitely create a character there. I hate playing in 3rd person and avoid it all costs even though I know I'm gimping myself doing do.

One of the things that made EQ possible to play so much in 1st person was the wide field of view but many games have narrowed the field of view down greatly making 1st person feel claustrophobic. Obviously not having played Pantheon, I don't have a real sense of what it feels like, but from the streams the FOV feels narrower and I'm hoping that they can tweak the FOV wider.

• 9115 posts
    May 16, 2017 3:58 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

trukk said:

Bazgrim said:

trukk said:

Please consider it!

-Chris

-Chris

Understood. You're more than welcome to revisit the discussion in the original thread. But keep in mind VR probably won't seriously consider an immersion server till after launch. (See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1935/server-rulesets)

Thanks Baz, I will go ahead and close this but please feel free to join in on the already active threads so we can keep the information consolidated. :)