Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Innovate chat system for better socialization.

• 110 posts
    March 16, 2016 7:36 AM PDT

Malsirian said:

Garmr said:

Keep the chat box itself simple and text only but defintely give me the ability to link items in chat and deep functionality in chat. I want to be able to right click a name in the chat window and invite them, disband them, ignore them, /who them etc etc. Playing EQ again and missing that is just a nuisance.

-Garmr

I was gonna say the same thing. The only thing I would add is the ability to also report them. Nothing worse than trying report a gold spammer with a name like rurruurrooosll and trying to scroll back up in the chat window so you can spell it correctly.

yeah thats actually one of my etc's, anything useful that could be thought of should be in a right click menu on a players name.

• 671 posts
    March 16, 2016 9:06 AM PDT

sajbear said:

No emoticons for me :)

I had a thought tough, what about chat bubbles? Like in SWG for instance?

I love chat bubbles...  they work so well in Cities.

• 563 posts
    March 16, 2016 10:09 AM PDT

sajbear said:

No emoticons for me :)

I had a thought tough, what about chat bubbles? Like in SWG for instance?

I see a Wookie wearing ceremonial armour on Dantooine (if I’m remembering right?) love the screen shot, I've lost all my screen shots from SWG sadly :(

I would love togglable chat bubbles, it was a very fun option to put on and watch the cantina chat while leveling up musician/dancer/aesthetician/doctor :P Some of my favorite times were as a dancer/musician buffing people in the cantinas in the major cities on Tatooine, Naboo and Dathomir, made many friends in the entertainment business. I also loved buffing as a doctor in Coronet Corellia and giving haircuts as an astetician in Theed Naboo!

As voice chat goes I try not to use it, I like to give my own mental/imaginative voices to the player's/npc's I meet, but I understand the desire and the necessity for voice chat so I will log in and listen, but I will only respont via typed messages (I'm sure this is in part (wholely) related to my telephobia).

As emoticons go, please no, I hate the yellow "smilies" if you need to emote a message, text works fine... :)   :D   xD   :P   >.<   >.>   :O   >:O   :\   :S   :3   (and all the variations) are fine for me.

Rachael

This post was edited by Rachael at March 16, 2016 10:11 AM PDT
    • 793 posts
    March 16, 2016 10:26 AM PDT

Rachael, I am with you in that I too, when required, put on my headphones and listen to the chat, but will seldom speak. As I said earlier in the thread, my office is next to our bedroom, and I don't need wife agro while I am playing. :)

Hence why I'd like to see a system that invoice some sort of text to voice and vice versa.

Now I do prefer in-game voice chat be there, as joining a group requiring VC, you then have to find out what system they use, load or sometimes download the cleint, log into the channel. It's more trouble than it is worth, and unless it was a group of friends I was willingto go through all that for, I would just leave the group and search elsewhere.

This post was edited by Fulton at March 16, 2016 10:27 AM PDT
    • 668 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:01 AM PDT

Anytime I get into a voice chat system, it takes away from my immersion.  Every time...  The reason is simple, there is always someone loud or rude or obnoxious, the burps, the real life human distractions is just too much for me.

Now in a tough raid situation, I see the need for everyone to be on same page.  Even then, most should be muted except leaders.

Just my two cents...  But if most of us are talking about an immersive world, with captivating sounds etc... I do not see how constantly being in a voice chat session will allow me to enjoy what I am looking for... This does not mean I am anti-social either, I will chat text with the best of them.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

• 563 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:15 AM PDT

Fulton said:

Hence why I'd like to see a system that invoice some sort of text to voice and vice versa.

I would love to see something like this implemented, tech/software is only getting better and an accurate voice to text is not far off, maybe if not by release in an xpac? :P

Pyye said:

... This does not mean I am anti-social either, I will chat text with the best of them.

I wouldn't say I'm anti-social, but I am very socially anxious and communicating via text is SOOOO much easier for me, and like you said voice does take me out of the immersion of the game. It would be one thing if we were all physically traversing through the virtual world, but the voices from behind a desk/whatever just really take me out of it (not to say I haven't absolutely fallen in love with some of the voices/accents I've heard in VOIP but that’s another story! :P)

Rachael

This post was edited by Rachael at March 16, 2016 10:45 PM PDT
    • 793 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:19 AM PDT

Pyye said:

Anytime I get into a voice chat system, it takes away from my immersion.  Every time...  The reason is simple, there is always someone loud or rude or obnoxious, the burps, the real life human distractions is just too much for me.

Now in a tough raid situation, I see the need for everyone to be on same page.  Even then, most should be muted except leaders.

Just my two cents...  But if most of us are talking about an immersive world, with captivating sounds etc... I do not see how constantly being in a voice chat session will allow me to enjoy what I am looking for... This does not mean I am anti-social either, I will chat text with the best of them.

Thats why I always figure the game that comes out with live voice modification would have a huge advantage. You pla an ogre, you set your voice-mod to "ogrish" . Cause I agree, nothing breaks immersion like seeing a beautiful female enchantress, but hear a big burly burping guy in the voice. :)

• 308 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:27 AM PDT

Pyye said:

Yes, it doesn't break any immersion for me, but i like to play music, listen to an audiobook or tv on in the background; while i am an advocate for and use voicechat for raids, i prefer to use in-game text chat for groups, especially in PUG groups.   A bigger concern for me is the game having an ingame voicechat, having experienced that voice Everquest and Neverwinter, i absolutely detested it and don't want to be forced to use it.  I would join the occassional group to find that the would require me to join voice chat or they would kick me.  So i would either have to find a new group or use the in-game chat which led to my next issue, the lack of quality and features of the ingame chat; some people would be too loud, others you couldn't hear, the quality was bad, etc. and you had no tools on your side to tinker with to try to improve their speech.

• 384 posts
    March 16, 2016 11:31 AM PDT

Pyye said:

Agree 100%   Happens everytime. Seems like people are also more prone to chatting about real world stuff in voice chat than they are when typing. If I wanted to talk about the real world I wouldn't be playing an mmo lol. 

Fulton said:

Thats why I always figure the game that comes out with live voice modification would have a huge advantage. You pla an ogre, you set your voice-mod to "ogrish" . Cause I agree, nothing breaks immersion like seeing a beautiful female enchantress, but hear a big burly burping guy in the voice. :)

Also agree! :) When the gender of the voice doesn't match the character's gender it's annoying. My headset allows you to choose different voice modifiers but I've never used them. *If* there was an game voice chat that automatically modified the players voice based on the race they were playing, that could be interesting. But that's pretty unlikely thinking. Cool but unlikely. =)

• 671 posts
    March 16, 2016 3:19 PM PDT

Voip while playing is not needed...

Text is perfect, now wether or not you want to have tells, or says bolstered by chat bubbles should be up to the end user. I like being immersed and not staring at text box, so i enjoy seeing bubbles of speach from in game avatars.. so much more personal and contextual.

• 578 posts
    March 21, 2016 1:09 AM PDT

Pyye said:

I've never had a problem with the things you, or the others, talk about in any PC MMO I've played (console gaming is a different story). I'd actually say there are more loud obnoxious people in regional chat than I come across in voice chats. I've even joined many random groups and joined their teamspeak or mumble or whatever and never had any real problems. But to join these chats I have to write down the server info, window out of game, type in the info and hope i got everything correct, and then search for the 'room' the randoms are in, and then return to game.

In my perfect world though players such as yourself who do not want to use it would have to do nothing at all, it's off by default. For me to use it all I'd have to do is toggle a button in the options and voila. Having in-game voice chat doesn't mean everybody has to use it. You can continue to avoid any unsavory loud players and join in whenever is right for you and I can enjoy talking to people I meet more organically in game without having to window out to do so.

• 52 posts
    May 29, 2016 8:19 PM PDT

Hate starting new threads on old topics so decided to bring this one back to life =)

In regards to chat systems in MMOs the one thing that I have really hated is global channels.. General/LFG/Trade etc. Am I the only one who has missed the EQ style of chat? Where you could /shout /ooc /say etc? It made each zone a lot more personable. The chat channels that are in todays MMOs drives me absolutely crazy. Having chat channels where everyone in game can sit in a particular channel and just chat away with each other no matter where they are needs to go. I would love to see the old school EQ style chat where each zone has its own and you have different ways of communicating in that zone as i mentioned above. I would love to see a new EC where people have to work to sell their wares and not be in an xp grp sitting in the Trade channel trying to sell stuff. It is always a pain turning them on and off then forgetting you turned one off and having to figure out how to turn it back on. Not to mention if you are in more than one channel trying to sort thru all the spam or having to create multiple chat boxes to be able to sort it out. Bring back the old school EQ chat!

• 1468 posts
    May 29, 2016 8:43 PM PDT

Xaleban said:

Hate starting new threads on old topics so decided to bring this one back to life =)

In regards to chat systems in MMOs the one thing that I have really hated is global channels.. General/LFG/Trade etc. Am I the only one who has missed the EQ style of chat? Where you could /shout /ooc /say etc? It made each zone a lot more personable. The chat channels that are in todays MMOs drives me absolutely crazy. Having chat channels where everyone in game can sit in a particular channel and just chat away with each other no matter where they are needs to go. I would love to see the old school EQ style chat where each zone has its own and you have different ways of communicating in that zone as i mentioned above. I would love to see a new EC where people have to work to sell their wares and not be in an xp grp sitting in the Trade channel trying to sell stuff. It is always a pain turning them on and off then forgetting you turned one off and having to figure out how to turn it back on. Not to mention if you are in more than one channel trying to sort thru all the spam or having to create multiple chat boxes to be able to sort it out. Bring back the old school EQ chat!

Personally I don't have a problem with server wide chat channels. Sometimes when you are LFG or are trying to sell items having a global chat channel reduces the boredom because you have people to talk to while you wait. I can see some people getting annoyed with it but if you don't like it just leave the channels. I certainly don't see them as hurting the game and later on EQ did introduce them.

It is also useful for guilds to be able to create their own password protected chat channels for say class specific chat in a guild so a cleric channel and a ranger channel and a tank channel for instance. These are very useful when raiding and I hope Pantheon includes a way for players to make their own chat channels as not having them makes running a guild so much harder. For instance I think just about every guild in existence has an offiers only chat channel where the officers and leaders could discuss the running of the guild in-game. That is extremely important.

• 1434 posts
    May 29, 2016 11:38 PM PDT

Xaleban said:

I agree. All chat should be area or at most, zone-wide. If people want to talk server wide, they can add chat rooms for every server at the login screen. When I'm in game, I want to be immersed and that means not seeing people use the server as a glorfied chat room.

• 781 posts
    May 30, 2016 12:35 AM PDT

BloodbeardBattlecaster said:

I do not wish to play a facebook MMO.  'Nuff said. :)

Amen brother ! :)

• 1468 posts
    May 30, 2016 1:08 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

Xaleban said:

I agree. All chat should be area or at most, zone-wide. If people want to talk server wide, they can add chat rooms for every server at the login screen. When I'm in game, I want to be immersed and that means not seeing people use the server as a glorfied chat room.

So you'd be against guild created chat channels as well then? Such as a healer channel and a tank channel for raids? Also what about officer and leader chat channels for the running of the guild?

Honestly I don't see the problem with global chat channels. If you don't like them then just leave them or filter them to a hidden chat window that you can bring up to the front if you ever want to see what is going on in them. That way the people who do like them are happy and you who doesn't like them is also happy.

• 1434 posts
    May 30, 2016 2:09 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Dullahan said:

Xaleban said:

So you'd be against guild created chat channels as well then? Such as a healer channel and a tank channel for raids? Also what about officer and leader chat channels for the running of the guild?

Honestly I don't see the problem with global chat channels. If you don't like them then just leave them or filter them to a hidden chat window that you can bring up to the front if you ever want to see what is going on in them. That way the people who do like them are happy and you who doesn't like them is also happy.

Outside of guild or group chat, yes I am against global chat channels, especially by default.

I don't think the game should encourage global communication. In a game where locations mean something, races and lore create a sense of identity, and travel takes time, ideally localized communities should emerge that provide players with unique experiences and even subcultures. Simply put, globalized chat is in direct opposition to the concept of a virtual world.

Does anyone remember what it was like playing different races originally in EverQuest? There was something of a cultural identity and patriotism among players from different places. There was even a sort of informal social strata based on level ranges and playstyles. Playing a dwarf was different than playing a dark elf. Perhaps its a different time and we won't have that again aside from RP servers, but I think the game should make every effort to encourage that sort of play. I believe it should at least be the objective from a design standpoint, even if many people choose not to partake in that aspect of the game.

This post was edited by Dullahan at May 30, 2016 2:25 AM PDT
    • 39 posts
    May 30, 2016 4:57 AM PDT

I dont know TS,Vent and many other Com programs realy seem to be the norm these days  IMHO a simple chat will do people use voice com's and rarely pay attention to chat anymore..

• 151 posts
    May 30, 2016 4:42 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

Cromulent said:

Dullahan said:

Xaleban said:

Outside of guild or group chat, yes I am against global chat channels, especially by default.

I don't think the game should encourage global communication. In a game where locations mean something, races and lore create a sense of identity, and travel takes time, ideally localized communities should emerge that provide players with unique experiences and even subcultures. Simply put, globalized chat is in direct opposition to the concept of a virtual world.

Does anyone remember what it was like playing different races originally in EverQuest? There was something of a cultural identity and patriotism among players from different places. There was even a sort of informal social strata based on level ranges and playstyles. Playing a dwarf was different than playing a dark elf. Perhaps its a different time and we won't have that again aside from RP servers, but I think the game should make every effort to encourage that sort of play. I believe it should at least be the objective from a design standpoint, even if many people choose not to partake in that aspect of the game.

Hit the nail on the head. In my opinion global chat is for a game that is more a chatroom than a game and for failing games that have low populations that are trying to find ways to keep their servers alive right before they have to start shutting some of them down. The game needs to have regional economies and populations that are different from each other to make the world come alive. I played a few characters in EQ and my dwarf experience was completely different from my halfling experience and that was completely different from my freeport experience. I still remember those early levels because the entire world was not just a keystroke away. You had to explore, was not optional.

• 1860 posts
    May 30, 2016 5:43 PM PDT

Voice chat is one of those things that guilds will use on an individual basis with one of the many multiple voice options that are out there.  Text chat is all that is necessary in general. 

But, if down the line, an in game voice chat is added...the idea that was said by Fulton about voice modification sounds fantastic.

He said "live voice modification would have a huge advantage. You pla an ogre, you set your voice-mod to "ogrish" . Cause I agree, nothing breaks immersion like seeing a beautiful female enchantress, but hear a big burly burping guy in the voice. :)"

That ^ sounds great.

This post was edited by philo at May 30, 2016 5:47 PM PDT
    • 121 posts
    May 30, 2016 6:12 PM PDT

Voice chat is something I could not live without for the last several years.  This however is because the new way of MMOs is a non stop sprint from quest hub to mob to mob to mob to next quest hub.  I will be so happy just to get back to finding a camp spot and pulling mobs to one spot that I'll be ok with any style of chat box.  It will likely be the first time I'll have actually read or typed in a chat box in years.

I've not been impressed with past experiences with in game voice chat.  The quality has always been crap.  I'm not sure if it's the software, the users hardware, or connection lag, but it always seems so muffled and hard to hear compared to TS or Vent.  I do agree that immersion is better with chat than voice but voice does make raiding a thousand times easier than it was in the earlier dsays of EQ when all communication was typed. 

Love the racial voice mod idea.  Would be a great future MMO feature if they could get it to work well.

• 1468 posts
    May 30, 2016 6:26 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

Cromulent said:

Dullahan said:

Xaleban said:

Fair enough. I won't be overly disappointed if they don't have global chat channels but I'd certainly use them if they were included. Being able to chat the community and getting to know other players is what I thought this game was all about. Making friends with people and generally being a positive social environment where when you log in you can chat with your friends.

One thing I do think is essential though is players being able to create their own password protected chat channels for raid management. At the very least most guilds will need a healer channel and a tank channel as well as an officers and leaders channel. This will help run the guild and make sure that guild members become friends quicker because they can talk to other players in the guild who play the same classes as them and learn tips and tricks from them. The officers and leaders chat channel is obvious and would be used for solving any guild problems while in-game rather than having to resort to communicating on the guild forum. When I was playing EQ we had chat channels for every class in the game so that people could discuss raid issues with other players in their class and that helped us to progress which is important.

• 8 posts
    June 1, 2016 2:50 PM PDT

How do people feel about voice call outs?  Like in FPS games, a preset key combination makes your character say something; typically from a small set of options.  (of course with an option to disable them to avoid spam and for /ignore'd players to not make noise for you.)

Most games I've played have standard /emote type things that play an animation and put up some text, but adding some voices could make a bit more flavor (and also voice packs would be $ ;) )

• 769 posts
    June 1, 2016 3:17 PM PDT

Global chat is one of those that I'm completely on the fence about, and one of the few mechanics in a game that I believe one can actually use the "If you don't like it, don't use it" argument.

In LOTRO they had a playermade Global LFG Channel. It wasn't really used for finding a group as much as it was for just chatting away with people, and most of the conversation there was asinine. However I did spend many hours talking and getting to know people, as well as use it as a tool for locating groups. It was also easy to turn on and off, and I believe I spent my time in that game with a damn near 50/50 active and inactive in that channel.

However, I do understand the argument of keeping chat within the zone, and I do agree. I think it's a weighing of pros and cons here.

Do you want a localized chat that encourages a subculture and creates an identity with that zone? Is that more important to you?

Or do you want a global chat that promotes a more general line of communication, and encourages socializing within the entirety of the game?

Both have their merits. Both speak to what a lot of the people here are looking for. Both a game with diverse races/classes where individuality and teamwork coincide for a more immersive experience, and a game where the social aspect is one of the, if not THE most important aspect, as it is one missing from many newer MMO's.

Some might argue that the global kind of socialization promotes a breeding ground of ass-hattery, and I would agree. The kinds of conversation you'd usually find in a global chat channel usually causes me to turn it off, however when I weigh that against the good conversation and friends I also made through that forum, it's tougher to justify not having one.

On the other hand, EQ's old method of localized chat channels DID create a unique environment. Even in zones that were relatively empty, that in itself had it's own special kind of charm. Zoning into Eastern Commonlands from Nektulos Forest was a heady experience. It was like walking from an empty street into a crowded and rowdy bar. You'd welcome all that "noise" with open arms after spending hours farming in a quiet zone. It was an experience within itself.

All that said, I'm for localized chat channels. If Global chat channels are included, I'd make them up to the players to create.

This post was edited by Tralyan at June 1, 2016 3:19 PM PDT
    • 80 posts
    June 1, 2016 4:02 PM PDT

munge said: As well maybe some communication displays that you can send to the main screen so you can get the attention of people not reading chat box.

That called a tell wrote out like /tell and then it will pop up as a new chat box or a pink message to notify them that someone is talking to them. Depends how that person has it set up 

If this game sticks to how EQ has it set up everything will be perfect.

What we need to make sure is that chat doesn't get spammed with currency sellers.