Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Gaming Pet Peeves

• 453 posts
    January 15, 2015 12:22 PM PST

What are your top gaming pet peeves ? The kind  that kill an MMO gaming experience for you making you never want to return to that game. 

EQ2's  "artificial restrictions" such as limiting your movement speed in combat ... hated that. Hate not having real strategy in combat. I say this because some games simply have a bunch of damaging abilities on different cooldowns so you just button mash whatever stuff is available . That sucks, I want strategy and tactics. Leveling too quickly kills it for me, I want level 50+ to mean something. Gold seller in game spamming .. hate it.  I hate too much sameness between classes, like having a cleric of light vs a cleric of dark and having them do the exact same attacks only one says "does 10 damage of light damage" while the other says "does 10 damage of darkness damage" .  

I have tons more, but I am sure you guys will mention it ;) 

• 753 posts
    January 15, 2015 1:15 PM PST

Going to try to add to your list, rather than duplicate any entries:

1)  I hate when spell effects are overblown to the point where if you are in even a group you have to turn them all off just to see the mob.  EQ2 had this problem. Say what you want about WoW's graphics, I thought they did a great job with spell effects - looked cool, everyone could be firing off stuff in a 40 man raid, and you could still see everything going on - AND - know just what was being cast at any point in time only looking at effects and spell colors.

2)  I hate "little" attempts to make things more real that only end up becoming extremely fake and annoying over time.  Example, there was an NPC in one of the EQ2 villages around Qeynos that waved frantically trying to get your attention whenever you passed her.  The first time you went past her it was cool - CLEARLY she had something to say to you. The 500'th time you went by her, you wished your spells would work on her.

3)  Which brings me to 3 - I hate my hands being TIED.  This is different than my hands being held.  If I do something supremely stupid (like attacking my trainer 2 seconds into the game... like I MIGHT have done in EQ...)  Treat me like EQ treated me... let virtual natural selection happen.  If I do something to get me killed, let me get me killed.

4)  I hate excessively overloaded abilities - again, EQ2.  If it takes more than 10 to 20 words to tell me what an ability does, then the ability does too much.    Some EQ2 abilities read like a college term paper, and needed someone smart enough to read a college term paper to figure out.

5)  I hate agro ranges that are abnormally short.  How many of us have gone for a harvesting node - and we are essentially standing right next to a mob that, when you con it, wants to rip your head off... but stands there placidly while you go about your business.  If it can see you - and if you are within a range where it could reasonably get to you - it should try to kill you.  By reasonable - you know - if you are 30 or 40 yards away, maybe it lets you slide rather than trying to bother catching you... but if you are THREE yards away - it better start swinging.

6) I am NOT a fan of "linked mobs" - if 2 mobs are near each other, a player with the ability to split them should be able to split them.  I hate linked mobs because sometimes the way it plays out is just plain silly... where 3 mobs or whatever will all come, and they run by 2 or 3 others who also hate you - but because they are not "linked" just sorta stand there and wait their turn for you to pull and kill them.

7) These days, I hate "non-chievements"  That's what I'm going to call achievements that just AREN'T.  Some of them in games these days are just plain stupid.  A real world example of some of them might be :  "You are still breathing!  10 achievement points for you!!!"  If you are still breathing tomorrow, it will go up to TWENTY because you are REALLY GOOD at continuing to breathe!"  Achievements should be - well - ACHIEVEMENTS.  An example... you work a month to get a key to a dungeon.  And you GET IT... THAT is an achievement.

8)  I hate the weapon particle effect explosion in MMO's these days.  IN EQ, Epic weapons were ultra cool, because they were among a very rare set of weapons that had particle effects.  Those particle effects drew your eye, because they were SPECIAL.  Every weapon, everywhere, having a particle effect makes particle effects NOT special.  It is almost to the point where, to make an uber weapon appear special, it should be designed to be highly ordinary looking, with zero particle effects - because then it would look different than everything else.

There are more for sure - but I'll go with those for now.

This post was edited by Wandidar at January 16, 2015 3:50 PM PST
    • 378 posts
    January 15, 2015 1:33 PM PST

AoE Tanking and Healing

Just being able to spam an AoE taunt or heal and not have to press more than 1 or two buttons or even change position to move bosses or mobs around.

So many MMO's have gone down this path and it takes any fun out of being a Tank or healer. 

This post was edited by Zandil at January 15, 2015 11:47 PM PST
    • 84 posts
    January 15, 2015 2:43 PM PST
    Camp stealers and kill stealers . Games where every class can do every role (Rift) . Games that have overly cartoonish graphics .
    • VR Staff
    • 50 posts
    January 15, 2015 2:45 PM PST

My biggest pet peeve is a MMO with quest hubs.  I am proud to say that I will never again purchase or play a game with quest hubs, it quite frankly, has run it's course for me.   There is nothing that breaks immersion faster for me than a quest hub.  It is a game breaker for me, period, end of story.  Unfortunately, this doesn't leave me a lot of choices for MMOs.

I really dislike games that are instanced and have zones, but this one isn't a game breaker.  I do wish Pantheon was going to be seamless or at least like VG, but I know it isn't going to happen.  I just hope the zone lines will be more like EQ where you don't know where they are until you hit them (or know from experience) because the zone appears to go on forever.  I am not sure if all of EQ was like this, but of the few zones I experienced, this was the case.    

Too much hand holding is also a turn off.  No one gave me a manual on life; I don't really want one for my MMO either.  Beginner tutorials are fine, I just don't want to be told exactly where to find everything, it takes the fun out of exploring.

Another game breaker for me is when the artist(s) over "sexualize" female characters.  It happens enough on TV, in magazines and online.  Can we give it a rest already?  I hope Brad meant what he said on his Reddit AMA when I asked about overly sexualized female characters in Pantheon.  I am sorry, but when I go out to do something that involves strength, agility and has a degree of danger involved (A 10 mile hike for instance), I do not wear high heels and half of a shirt.  As such, I don't expect that my character would dress scantily when slaying a dragon.

I agree with a lot of what has already been posted, but I have listed my two game breakers and a few other things that just irritate me.

• 84 posts
    January 15, 2015 2:47 PM PST
    Freyja said:
    Camp stealers and kill stealers . Games where every class can do every role (Rift) . Games that have overly cartoonish graphics .

Bugs kill it for me . In VG even at sunset certain bard song components still did not work as intended . I still played and loved VG though . Exploits that don't get fixed so everyone cheats is no good too . Running out of content kills it for me too . If a year goes by with no level cap increases or aa point system at least to give u something to do then I get bored . Editing this from my phone dunno what I did lol
    This post was edited by Freyja at January 16, 2015 3:51 PM PST
    • 378 posts
    January 15, 2015 2:55 PM PST

1 hit wonder fights, I don't want mobs that i walk around and 1-2 hit and the fight is over.

Rather see each fight take time and you should have to react differently with each fight not have one rotation for everything. 

• 610 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:01 PM PST

Every class being a DPS

Mobs that wont agro you because they are trivial...In EQ if a mob was agro it was pretty much agro

In EQ2 if it was grey it wouldnt agro no matter what

Universal chat channels (troll central)

• 76 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:07 PM PST

Going from A to B following orders to kill stuff for lazy townsfolk. Seriously, are they that inept??

• 753 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:49 PM PST

Sevens reminded me of one - class balance.  Every class doesn't have to be able to do everything.  Tanks need to tank.  Healers need to heal.  While they need some versatility, I think classes should be balanced around their function - period.

• 430 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:56 PM PST

Not much bothers me :)

There is one thing though , if Brad sells this game to SOE and they mess it up like VG . Game breaker

• 378 posts
    January 15, 2015 5:40 PM PST

Vanity Pets, can't stand them, little annoying things that follow you around and do nothing other then annoy the crap out of me.

Every time i think i'm finished, i come with another thing that annoys me  5 mins later. 

This post was edited by Zandil at January 16, 2015 10:35 AM PST
  • January 15, 2015 5:48 PM PST

Stupid people! As a cleric, iI have gotten sick of grouping with stupid people. Groups, raids it does not matter, stupid people wind up pissing off so many people that when the group I am in wipes because of "said" person, I sometimes want to just up and quit. Especially when you have an experience penalty from death. Remember from EQ, you die to many times you lose a level.*Shiver* Flash back to Phlangies for wizzie epic in KK. I died in his spawn spot about 60 times in a row before I could port out.

Anyways, back to stupid people. I am not saying everyone is, but there are those who think they are big and bad because they have this oh so awesome gear and ultra uberized weapon they don't know how to use. They get hit once say oh no run to cleric, cleric heals, dies, casters die from trying to take agro till tank can get it back, backup healers die from trying to heal casters, tank dies because backups are out of mana, druid gates or evacs and quits grp and logs. All of this happens in the span of a minute. Byt that time the stupid person is like where did everyone go and I am saying we have to log need to take care of baby.

Stupid people, I wonder if there is an app for that?

• 5 posts
    January 15, 2015 6:07 PM PST

I hate when a game is too easy.  I remember when EQ first came out, it was hard.  Same with EQ2.  WOW was a joke.  I want some challenge.

I hate when its trivial to get from one place to another.  There's an entire world to explore so to think you can get from one corner to the over in a blink of an eye is ridiculous for me.

I hate when mobs give up and stop chasing you.  I want to see them chase you till they die.

I hate when your equipment never deteriorates.  If you take a beating you should have to fix it or get new stuff.  That's why there should be a game economy.

I hate that you can run forever without getting tired or be able to fight non stop.  You should have to rest.

I hate it when you can get a new weapon and wield it even though you've never used one before.  You should have to train to be proficient at something.

I hate when every race speaks the same language.  How did that happen?  You should have to learn the language to be able to speak to other races, like in EQ.

That's good enough for now.

Xumo

• 43 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:06 PM PST

Oh man I was excited to respond to this thread! I'll be brief.

-Instances

-Lack of challenge, harder to fail than to succeed.

-Lack of freewill, I'm in a virtual reality to do what I want to do, not what a designer believes I should want to do. ie. Jay Wilson.

-Quest hub (as previously mentioned)

-Cash shop, no subscription.

-Solo-centric, Modern MMO = Massive Singleplayer, and general antisocial favoritism.

-Faction or race based segregation. (ie. Horde vs Ally)

-Permanent irreversible ways to permascrew your character, like your initial statpoints, or tradeskills you picked, before you had the hindsight to know what you really wanted to choose. Accidentally deleting quest items/rewards you can't get back, etc. (Within reason, you should be able to commit to a race/class/gender/name, etc)

-Level pace way too fast, devaluing items, content. 

-Trivial death penalties, such as repair costs. There is no reward without risk.

-Gold sellers

-Lack of updates for exploits

etc, etc, etc

This post was edited by Zircon at January 16, 2015 5:29 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:21 PM PST
    Jason said:

What are your top gaming pet peeves ? The kind  that kill an MMO gaming experience for you making you never want to return to that game. 

EQ2's  "artificial restrictions" such as limiting your movement speed in combat ... hated that. Hate not having real strategy in combat. I say this because some games simply have a bunch of damaging abilities on different cooldowns so you just button mash whatever stuff is available . That sucks, I want strategy and tactics. Leveling too quickly kills it for me, I want level 50+ to mean something. Gold seller in game spamming .. hate it.  I hate too much sameness between classes, like having a cleric of light vs a cleric of dark and having them do the exact same attacks only one says "does 10 damage of light damage" while the other says "does 10 damage of darkness damage" .  

I have tons more, but I am sure you guys will mention it ;) 

Abilities bars refreshing,  when you've only used one spell or one ability.   Whole thing goes into refresh.    Detest that. 

Interruption of casting..if you move accidently (cat jumps on my keyboard lol)  or  can't cast while running...grrr.  (lol)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at January 16, 2015 3:52 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:27 PM PST
    Freyja said:

This, and gamers that all congregate at a zone in point.      With all their fancy armor, dogs, horses and vanity pets.    ALL OF THEM and their buddies sitting on the zone in portal,  showing off their fancy raid armor etc.   Meanwhile there are so many of them,  it takes you a lonnnnng time to zone into the city center. 

There has to be some way of of booting them off there,  its been a pet peeve of mine for years.     Gamers become like lemmings all have to congregate in exactly the same spot.    Make it so when they zone in they move or port off the portal automatically, to a spot close by... cut the lag and the frustration of those trying to get in ...

Is that even possible? :)

In Rift I had this stick that you could shapeshift people into smaller entities.   I would use it on people that blocked bankers or portals.  hehe

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at January 16, 2015 3:53 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:34 PM PST
    DrakonroseThornmender said:

Stupid people! As a cleric, iI have gotten sick of grouping with stupid people. Groups, raids it does not matter, stupid people wind up pissing off so many people that when the group I am in wipes because of "said" person, I sometimes want to just up and quit. Especially when you have an experience penalty from death. Remember from EQ, you die to many times you lose a level.*Shiver* Flash back to Phlangies for wizzie epic in KK. I died in his spawn spot about 60 times in a row before I could port out.

Anyways, back to stupid people. I am not saying everyone is, but there are those who think they are big and bad because they have this oh so awesome gear and ultra uberized weapon they don't know how to use. They get hit once say oh no run to cleric, cleric heals, dies, casters die from trying to take agro till tank can get it back, backup healers die from trying to heal casters, tank dies because backups are out of mana, druid gates or evacs and quits grp and logs. All of this happens in the span of a minute. Byt that time the stupid person is like where did everyone go and I am saying we have to log need to take care of baby.

Should be able to take a group vote ...and if a majority agrees,  boot said annoying person out.       But put a timer on the boot,  some folks get boot happy.    Half hour timer at least.    

• 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:35 PM PST
    Shea said:

Not much bothers me :)

There is one thing though , if Brad sells this game to SOE and they mess it up like VG . Game breaker

Indeed :)

• 43 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:39 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:

Should be able to take a group vote ...and if a majority agrees,  boot said annoying person out.       But put a timer on the boot,  some folks get boot happy.    Half hour timer at least.    

How about an amazon.com style review system, so you can leave them a bad review that sticks with them for life.

(Joking, wouldn't advocate this. lol)

• 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:40 PM PST
    Zoeii said:

My biggest pet peeve is a MMO with quest hubs.  I am proud to say that I will never again purchase or play a game with quest hubs, it quite frankly, has run it's course for me.   There is nothing that breaks immersion faster for me than a quest hub.  It is a game breaker for me, period, end of story.  Unfortunately, this doesn't leave me a lot of choices for MMOs.

I really dislike games that are instanced and have zones, but this one isn't a game breaker.  I do wish Pantheon was going to be seamless or at least like VG, but I know it isn't going to happen.  I just hope the zone lines will be more like EQ where you don't know where they are until you hit them (or know from experience) because the zone appears to go on forever.  I am not sure if all of EQ was like this, but of the few zones I experienced, this was the case.    

Too much hand holding is also a turn off.  No one gave me a manual on life; I don't really want one for my MMO either.  Beginner tutorials are fine, I just don't want to be told exactly where to find everything, it takes the fun out of exploring.

Another game breaker for me is when the artist(s) over "sexualize" female characters.  It happens enough on TV, in magazines and online.  Can we give it a rest already?  I hope Brad meant what he said on his Reddit AMA when I asked about overly sexualized female characters in Pantheon.  I am sorry, but when I go out to do something that involves strength, agility and has a degree of danger involved (A 10 mile hike for instance), I do not wear high heels and half of a shirt.  As such, I don't expect that my character would dress scantily when slaying a dragon.

I agree with a lot of what has already been posted, but I have listed my two game breakers and a few other things that just irritate me.

Oh you just reminded me....don't put me in a little tutorial box ..(hated when they did that to EQ)    the island in VG was better, but make it a toggle,  I did like all the different starting areas,   (I spent most of my time beta testing in Qalia ..newbie area )  and the starting areas give the game ambiance,  and life.  

So give us a choice, some of us like to fly by the seat of our pants,  learning new areas, new races and so on.   It's what adds to the mystery and awe of the new game.  :)  Besides I'm an altoholic,  and will definitely try every starter area available! :)

Definitely no handholding needed here! :)

• 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:46 PM PST
    Freyja said:
    Freyja said:

Bugs kill it for me . In VG even at sunset certain bard song components still did not work as intended . I still played and loved VG though . Exploits that don't get fixed so everyone cheats is no good too . Running out of content kills it for me too . If a year goes by with no level cap increases or aa point system at least to give u something to do then I get bored . Editing this from my phone dunno what I did lol

Usually exploits that don't get fixed is because the people using them...don't report them, so that they can continue using them  lol.      I report anything I find.  :)

• 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:50 PM PST
    Zircon said:
    CanadinaXegony said:

How about an amazon.com style review system, so you can leave them a bad review that sticks with them for life.

(Joking, wouldn't advocate this. lol)

LOL well, we had something similar in old EQ,  your server rep...if you were a doorknob,  it got noised around.  :)

• 753 posts
    January 16, 2015 5:08 AM PST

Yeah - your name meant something in EQ.  Your guild name did too.  Remember back in EQ, you didn't get random guild invites, etc... you had to app to a guild - you had to meet whatever requirements they set forth for admission, and you had to behave appropriately to keep your tag.

It could be very harsh for someone if the server decided they were a douche.  No druid / wizzy ports, no groups, no guild that would tarnish their name by admitting them, etc...

• 753 posts
    January 16, 2015 5:16 AM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:

I think "kick mechanics" are part of today's games because of the state of the culture in today's games.  With an old school game, I think you will get an old school culture.  Specifically:

1)  If someone is indeed a dirtbag in the group - either in personality or action - the rest of the group will have no qualms telling them that - and won't need or want to hide behind an anonymous kick mechanic.

2)  If someone just seems like a poor player - rather than instant (and anonymous) kick, I think the group will try to coach the player.  One of two things will happen here... either the person will be accepting / appreciative of the help and try - in which case the group will keep them on and keep teaching... OR - the person will resist the help, become considered a dirtbag, and then will be told that and kicked.