Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Why Pantheon was dead the minute they changed the graphics.

• 2045 posts
    November 3, 2023 3:06 PM PDT

RedGang said: The portal is pretty soul crushing for some reason

I think its problem is that it looks too technological & science-fictiony, rather than like the other magical portals I've experienced in various DnD style RPGs. I felt it was out of place when I first saw it, though it wasn't quite 'soul crushing' for me.

• 233 posts
    November 4, 2023 11:11 AM PDT
    Vandraad said:

Grimseethe said: They only exist on paper, I can't code or draw and can't learn that stuff, especially not to the skill level required for the worlds I've made.

ROFL.

Easy to laugh at things you don't understand.
    • 233 posts
    November 4, 2023 11:12 AM PDT
    justdrop said:
    The answer is no then.

One day I might find a team to make my games, you'll play them forever and love them, should you be so lucky I might do this.
    • 194 posts
    November 4, 2023 1:41 PM PDT
    Grimseethe said:
    justdrop said:
    The answer is no then.

One day I might find a team to make my games, you'll play them forever and love them, should you be so lucky I might do this.

I promise you, I'll be gone from this earth before that happens.
    • 273 posts
    November 6, 2023 1:43 PM PST

Grimseethe said:
    justdrop said: The answer is no then.

Is this Renfail's alt account?

• 3 posts
    November 14, 2023 7:31 AM PST
    I'm just learning about the art direction and extraction mode change today. I bought the $250 pledge a while back pretty much expecting that this game might never see the light of day.

Even with that expectation, I can't express how immensely disappointed I am with the Art direction change, and the announcement of 247. After this, I'm almost certainly done contributing to crowd funded MMO's.

I really hate to say it, but these artists need more discipline and structure that come from large publishers and their funding. It's been 10 years with very little to show for it. In fact, with the recent changes, it seems they have taken several steps backwards.

I know I'm late to the "party" here, and I'm probably expressing what has already been expressed dozens of times. I just can't help but express my disappointment I guess. I hope I end up being proven wrong, but everything about this announcement doesn't bode well for Pantheon.
    • 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 7:49 AM PST
    Naediian: I can't express how immensely disappointed I am with the Art direction change, and the announcement of 247

There are a lot of people who feel the same. There are also those that are fine with the new are direction. 247 has raised a lot of comments. If you havent already, I would watch the Pantheon Art Update and the 247 Overview. If looked at as a testing tool, you might not be as disappointed as it first seems. But then again, some just loath this direction and nothing VR says will make a difference (unless it is: "we are dropping everything we have done for the last 3 or 4 months and going back to what we had" - which ain't gonna happen).

Naediian: but these artists need more discipline and structure ...

To be fair to the artists, they are doing as instructed. This move comes from the top. The graphics change is to "appeal to a wider audience", apparently. For more revenue and quicker, easier update releases and better statistics gathering. Oh and quicker Pantheon to market turn around
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 8:01 AM PST
    • 3 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:04 AM PST
    Chenzeme: There are a lot of people who feel the same. There are also those that are fine with the new are direction. 247 has raised a lot of comments. If you havent already, I would watch the Pantheon Art Update and the 247 Overview. If looked at as a testing tool, you might not be as disappointed as it first seems. But then again, some just loath this direction and nothing VR says will make a difference (unless it is: "we are dropping everything we have done for the last 3 or 4 months and going back to what we had" - which ain't gonna happen).

I did watch the overview video before making the post. I can appreciate it as a testing tool, but it seems they are already talking about monetization and running it in parallel to Pantheon. This decision, along with the art style change, seems to be catering more towards a completely different audience.

Didn't Ashes of Creation announce the same thing several months ago? They all premise this as a way to raise additional revenue use it as a testing tool, but it think most people wouldn't be surprised if Pantheon ends up scrapped all together, and all we end up with is another bad extractor.

Chenzeme: To be fair to the artists, they are doing as instructed. This move comes from the top. The graphics change is to "appeal to a wider audience", apparently. For more revenue and quicker Pantheon to market turn around.

Fair enough, but this is also wild. The entire premise behind Pantheon was to recreate the glory days of old MMO's (EQ). Why is there a sudden pivot at an attempt to appeal to a larger audience? Pantheon was always going to be a niche game, that was the entire selling point for a lot of us.

I really do hope I'm wrong.
    This post was edited by Naediian at November 14, 2023 8:07 AM PST
    • 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:12 AM PST
    Oh, you are not alone, Naediian.

Yup they are only considering monetising the 247 at this stage, but officially, at this moment, it is a testing tool.

Yup there are a lot of people who do feel that the current direction has moved from the original advertised ideas. But there are vocal numbers that dont see it like that too. I think it just boils down to whether the perceived shift is within your personal boundaries. For me, it may be just. But there is definitely work to be done for me to feel comfortable in this new world.

You might want to look at News and Announcements - We have another change of direction
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 9:11 AM PST
    • 3 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:53 AM PST
    chenzeme said:
    Oh, you are not alone, Naediian.

Yup they are only considering monetising the 247 at this stage, but officially, at this moment, it is a testing tool.

Yup there are a lot of people who do feel that the current direction has moved from the original advertised ideas. But there are vocal numbers that dont see it like that too. I think it just boils down to whether the perceived shift is within your personal boundaries. For me, it may be just. But there is definitely work to be done for me to feel comfortable in this new world

You might want to look at News and Announcements - We have another change of direction

Thanks for the conversation, sir. I will try to remain positive and I hope to be proven completely wrong. I certainly don't know anything about making MMO's.

Best of luck to the VR team. I will still check out your game if and when you release it.
    • 21 posts
    November 15, 2023 7:44 AM PST

Can we stop with the graphics debate already? Saying the game was dead when they changed the style is childish and just not true. It might be dead to you personally but for others, no its not. Do you realize how many times Pantheon's art style was heavily criticized by streamers and content creators way before the art change happened? Have you not seen Asmongold's reaction to one of CohhCarnage's streams? The dude was going on how the graphics and style looked terrible and straight out of 2001. The simple truth is that realistic graphics are not sustainable for the longevity of MMOs. Any MMO dev will tell you this. The problem is that the realistic graphics become outdated after 2 or 3 years but the dev cycle is 6+ years. If they kept that art style, it would look terrible by the time the game would release and so many people would be turned off by it, myself included. Everquest 2 went that route and man, that game did not age well. I can't play it because of how bad it looks. Stylized graphics age way better and can be updated way easier in the future. Prime example being WoW. Just admit that you are mad because the dev team didn't go with what you wanted and move on

• 233 posts
    November 15, 2023 10:59 AM PST
    drewber2814 said:

Can we stop with the graphics debate already? Saying the game was dead when they changed the style is childish and just not true. It might be dead to you personally but for others, no its not. Do you realize how many times Pantheon's art style was heavily criticized by streamers and content creators way before the art change happened? Have you not seen Asmongold's reaction to one of CohhCarnage's streams? The dude was going on how the graphics and style looked terrible and straight out of 2001. The simple truth is that realistic graphics are not sustainable for the longevity of MMOs. Any MMO dev will tell you this. The problem is that the realistic graphics become outdated after 2 or 3 years but the dev cycle is 6+ years. If they kept that art style, it would look terrible by the time the game would release and so many people would be turned off by it, myself included. Everquest 2 went that route and man, that game did not age well. I can't play it because of how bad it looks. Stylized graphics age way better and can be updated way easier in the future. Prime example being WoW. Just admit that you are mad because the dev team didn't go with what you wanted and move on

Asmon hated the slow combat, not the art style.

If we dont complain they will never change it back.

You hate the art style as i do, but you are on copium, dude i spent hundreds on this game but i dont puff the cope, so just admit it with me that the art style is abhorrent.
    • 86 posts
    December 17, 2023 6:20 AM PST

RedGang said: The portal is pretty soul crushing for some reason: https://pantheonmmo.com/wp-content/uploads/pan-media/live/screenshots/[883]20231031_IMG_IntothePortal_Jothany_2560x1440(FULL).png

On seeing this I instantly thought - Gadgetzan.

• 226 posts
    December 17, 2023 2:00 PM PST

Idrial said:

RedGang said: The portal is pretty soul crushing for some reason: https://pantheonmmo.com/wp-content/uploads/pan-media/live/screenshots/[883]20231031_IMG_IntothePortal_Jothany_2560x1440(FULL).png

On seeing this I instantly thought - Gadgetzan.

Yeah, it does have that WoW goblin/Gnome feel. Interestingly, with Blizzard's graphic updates, WoW retail looks a million times better then this garbage.

• 264 posts
    December 17, 2023 4:22 PM PST

That portal picture is so jarring, and you're right it looks like Gadgetzan from WoW. But it's not the worst of it: the character models look bad. The wolves and bears look silly. The landscape looks somehow cartoony yet bland, my friend called it Quest 64 style. The animations are terrible. I mean yeah it's a major downgrade from the old graphics that were supposedly "dated" and "ugly". I think this style looks way worse than the old look. I can't stress enough how ugly and bland it looks.

• 1404 posts
    December 21, 2023 6:58 PM PST

Grimseethe said:

Ok come on, I get it lol!  Is this Donald Trump?

• 839 posts
    December 22, 2023 4:02 AM PST

Zorkon said:

Grimseethe said:

Ok come on, I get it lol!  Is this Donald Trump?

My game is beautiful, folks its really something. People tell me, they say sir, I love your game.  They say, they say SIR!.. I want to be part of YOUR!.. game.  And I say, well you could.. but.. VR took away ALL MY PLAYERS!  They took them and now they want to take yours too. Its very, very unfair... but my game.. my game is the greatest.

*Cue up YMCA and start dancing

• 7 posts
    December 22, 2023 10:44 AM PST

Amazing, I must really be magic, 300 hours this month in a game that is dead.

mod edit: personal attack

This post was edited by Savanja at December 22, 2023 3:10 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    December 22, 2023 11:11 AM PST

sarahmon said:

300 hours this month in a game that is dead. Get a life nobody cares about your opinion.

Dangerously aware

• 810 posts
    December 22, 2023 3:01 PM PST

I don't think the graphic change is what will kill the game.  I do think doing the graphic change this far into the process is another sign of wasted progress we see too often in the Pantheon development.  The PA graphic potential is not the problem.  I will take good animations and world interactions with poor graphics any day if that is what we actually get in the end. 

What may kill Pantheon is the total amount of world building and the rate of progress being made.  How many times has Faerthale been remade now?  The scope of the world is so massive, but I fear even if we maintain this pace we won't see a 2030 launch with the planned content unless it is all just a world with mobs to kill and no interesting NPC settlements. 

I still hope we can somehow end up with an MMO with a living world feel and not simply the psychologist approved frequency of addictive dopamine hits and habit forming dailies to keep people in FOMO.  The theory is all there.  Dispositions alone are a wonderful idea to keep the world interesting. 

• 6 posts
    December 28, 2023 4:19 AM PST

Prevenge said:
    Grimseethe said:
    Ezrael said: I’m happy with the graphics update. Breath of the Wild looks awesome and the update reminds me of this, plenty of the shared screenshots look dark and not cartoony. You speak for only yourself Grimseethe, your own opinion and nothing more. You also share your opinion in a poor manner.
    Breath of the wild looks awesome....ahahaha I have no opinion, ive never had one. I say things that are true and you can be correct with me or be wrong. Beg you to prove me wrong, please please.....
    He's right. VR is clearly listening that people are willing to accept the new art style but would like to see it a bit darker, more mature and gritty. The new screenshots look pretty good.

I think this cartoon style is looking pretty good (better than before), but they need to be careful, to not make it more cartoonish (WOW-alike), but rather keep it a little more realistic, at the same level as EQ1 pre-Luclin.

So I agree with, that we need to have the graphic a "bit darker, more mature and gritty", so some zones can even be a little "scary" and exciting if needed.

I would also like to see changes of:
    The gnomes. I don't like the faceless/expressionless faces. I woud like to se the traditional EQ gnome alike faces.
    The elves. I would like to see more traditional elfs culture and not feathered elves.
    The ogrees. Remove the rediculous ponytails. Don't fit ogrees at all.
    The archais. I have never liked the glowing stripes on their bodies.

I would like to see druids that are closer to EQ druids, but thats my personal opinion. 

This post was edited by grimday at December 28, 2023 4:28 AM PST
    • 409 posts
    December 28, 2023 12:01 PM PST

[deleted]

This post was edited by Nimryl at December 31, 2023 5:05 AM PST