Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Why Pantheon was dead the minute they changed the graphics.

• 233 posts
    October 29, 2023 2:19 AM PDT
    The moment they chaged the art style the game died.
    This is because nothing can look cool, scary or ominous with cartoon graphics, so now many people have left or like me will play for an hour then quit, i did spend £350 afterall.
    The game was niche, and now the devs have split that already small community.

They need more funding, but the game now looks worse than it ever did.

Anyone new looking into pantheon will see the game looking totally **** and half of the community talking **** about the game, as i have, because you deserve it for making the wrong choices.

They will make no more money, atleast not enough to make a difference.

Pantheon is gone and the MMO is not coming.

If i can say this after spending £350 surely you can also, no need to bag hold, its over.
    • 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 2:55 AM PDT
    Grimseethe said:
    The moment they chaged the art style the game died.
    This is because nothing can look cool, scary or ominous with cartoon graphics, so now many people have left or like me will play for an hour then quit, i did spend £350 afterall.
    The game was niche, and now the devs have split that already small community.

They need more funding, but the game now looks worse than it ever did.

Anyone new looking into pantheon will see the game looking totally **** and half of the community talking **** about the game, as i have, because you deserve it for making the wrong choices.

They will make no more money, atleast not enough to make a difference.

Pantheon is gone and the MMO is not coming.

If i can say this after spending £350 surely you can also, no need to bag hold, its over.

Completely agree. It's never coming. 247 confirms it for me.
    • 194 posts
    October 29, 2023 3:24 AM PDT
    Know what doesn't make a company want to bring you on the team?
    This post was edited by justdrop at October 29, 2023 4:48 AM PDT
    • 48 posts
    October 30, 2023 6:40 AM PDT

Grimseethe said: The moment they chaged the art style the game died. This is because nothing can look cool, scary or ominous with cartoon graphics, so now many people have left or like me will play for an hour then quit, i did spend £350 afterall. The game was niche, and now the devs have split that already small community. They need more funding, but the game now looks worse than it ever did. Anyone new looking into pantheon will see the game looking totally **** and half of the community talking **** about the game, as i have, because you deserve it for making the wrong choices. They will make no more money, atleast not enough to make a difference. Pantheon is gone and the MMO is not coming. If i can say this after spending £350 surely you can also, no need to bag hold, its over.

I am guessing you have never played any of the Borderlands games. It very well fits the definition of cool and ominous while being cartoonish in graphics. 

There is nothing wrong with cartoonish graphics, and they often enhance the game play of a game, since they work better for people with low end gaming machines.  Most old school gamers don't really care about graphics that much, they care about the game play. I'll still play games with ascii graphics if the game is good. 

Also, the project died years ago, you just never noticed.  

• 233 posts
    October 30, 2023 11:56 PM PDT
    justdrop said:

I could have delivered on every promise and more and even sold them the rights of multiple RPGs/ MMOs ive created, but they would never listen to one person.
    • 233 posts
    October 30, 2023 11:57 PM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said:

Grimseethe said: The moment they chaged the art style the game died. This is because nothing can look cool, scary or ominous with cartoon graphics, so now many people have left or like me will play for an hour then quit, i did spend £350 afterall. The game was niche, and now the devs have split that already small community. They need more funding, but the game now looks worse than it ever did. Anyone new looking into pantheon will see the game looking totally **** and half of the community talking **** about the game, as i have, because you deserve it for making the wrong choices. They will make no more money, atleast not enough to make a difference. Pantheon is gone and the MMO is not coming. If i can say this after spending £350 surely you can also, no need to bag hold, its over.

I am guessing you have never played any of the Borderlands games. It very well fits the definition of cool and ominous while being cartoonish in graphics.

There is nothing wrong with cartoonish graphics, and they often enhance the game play of a game, since they work better for people with low end gaming machines. Most old school gamers don't really care about graphics that much, they care about the game play. I'll still play games with ascii graphics if the game is good.

No i havent because theyre trash and has bad art style.
    The project died with the art style, no sooner, no later.
    • 167 posts
    October 31, 2023 7:16 AM PDT
    Grimseethe said:
    Jeremiahcp said:

There is nothing wrong with cartoonish graphics, and they often enhance the game play of a game, since they work better for people with low end gaming machines. Most old school gamers don't really care about graphics that much, they care about the game play. I'll still play games with ascii graphics if the game is good.

No i havent because theyre trash and has bad art style.
    The project died with the art style, no sooner, no later.

I would have preferred realistic graphics too, but from what I've seen so far, I don't think the new graphics are nearly as bad as everyone thinks. I don't prefer them. But it won't stop me from playing Pantheon. Especially since based on Joppa-speak during the Q&A he did say they are trying to up the maturity level and make it darker and more gritty. The art style with a mature theme, will still look good.
    • 12 posts
    October 31, 2023 8:39 AM PDT
    Prevenge said:

I would have preferred realistic graphics too, but from what I've seen so far, I don't think the new graphics are nearly as bad as everyone thinks. I don't prefer them. But it won't stop me from playing Pantheon. Especially since based on Joppa-speak during the Q&A he did say they are trying to up the maturity level and make it darker and more gritty. The art style with a mature theme, will still look good.

They can try and do more mature and gritty, but it just isn't going to come across as mature or gritty looking by any means with this new cartoony art style.
    • 245 posts
    October 31, 2023 11:35 AM PDT
    I’m happy with the graphics update.

Breath of the Wild looks awesome and the update reminds me of this, plenty of the shared screenshots look dark and not cartoony.

You speak for only yourself Grimseethe, your own opinion and nothing more. You also share your opinion in a poor manner.
    This post was edited by Ezrael at October 31, 2023 11:35 AM PDT
    • 1279 posts
    October 31, 2023 12:53 PM PDT

Did you check out the new screenshots they added today?  

• 947 posts
    October 31, 2023 1:25 PM PDT

I started following PRotF well before the graphics were confirmed.  So, although I am not a fan of the Fortnite graphic style, the graphics are literally the last reason I wanted to "support" the game.  With that said though, I am skeptical about 247 being adopted as a more long-term monetary solution.  I am perfectly ok with using 247 to simultaneously generate income and allow for the community to feel like they have more of a role in actually "supporting" instead of just donating a few dollars and "following" for the next 8 years, complaining about things we disagree with -= Raise Hand =-

The graphics change didn't kill the game - and may actually have saved it... or if nothing else, saved everyone's time by being able to speed up development into either being successful... or not, within the next couple of years instead of dragging this out for another 10 years.

• 947 posts
    October 31, 2023 1:37 PM PDT
    Ranarius said:

Did you check out the new screenshots they added today?

Although I agree that the screenshots are "cool", some people's immersion comes from the look of their avatar. This is why race/class options are kind of important to some people, and others could care less. If my avatar looks like a cartoon, I won't be immersed regardless of the environment/NPCs. BUT... I don't think that "killed the game" (as my post above this states).

Cartoon graphics (IMO) are best for games where you play characters that are already developed with their own identities (i.e. Link from Zelda), or otherwise 'throw-away' characters that you only play for a short time and then play a different character because you have no vested interest in the character (i.e. MOBAs or games like Fortnite).

Add: They're going to need to come hard with some kind of way to customize your avatar so that it doesn't look like every other of that race/class... or THAT could kill the game (i.e. if all Elf Fighters are running around looking like Link ROFL).
    This post was edited by Darch at October 31, 2023 1:44 PM PDT
    • 233 posts
    October 31, 2023 3:25 PM PDT
    Ezrael said:

Breath of the Wild looks awesome and the update reminds me of this, plenty of the shared screenshots look dark and not cartoony.

You speak for only yourself Grimseethe, your own opinion and nothing more. You also share your opinion in a poor manner.

Breath of the wild looks awesome....ahahaha

I have no opinion, ive never had one.

I say things that are true and you can be correct with me or be wrong.

Beg you to prove me wrong, please please.....
    • 167 posts
    October 31, 2023 3:33 PM PDT
    Grimseethe said:
    Ezrael said:

Breath of the wild looks awesome....ahahaha

I have no opinion, ive never had one.

I say things that are true and you can be correct with me or be wrong.

Beg you to prove me wrong, please please.....

He's right. VR is clearly listening that people are willing to accept the new art style but would like to see it a bit darker, more mature and gritty.

The new screenshots look pretty good.
    This post was edited by Ranarius at November 1, 2023 8:22 AM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    November 1, 2023 9:35 AM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said:

I have played the Borderlands games. Loved em. At no point did I feel anything more intensely that a sense of whimsical chaos, at best. I never felt fear, or awe, or foreboding. The art style was matched to the humor of the design elements, dialogue, etc.

I bought into Pantheon hoping for that fear, awe and foreboding, based in no small part to the art we'd been presented up until recently. Much like WoW, I dont see this art being able to accomplish those to any significant degree.
    • 146 posts
    November 1, 2023 9:41 AM PDT
    Grimseethe said:
    justdrop said:

I could have delivered on every promise and more and even sold them the rights of multiple RPGs/ MMOs ive created, but they would never listen to one person.

Can you list some of the games you've released? I'm curious to check out your work.
    • 233 posts
    November 2, 2023 3:41 PM PDT
    Feastycentral said:
    Grimseethe said:
    justdrop said:

Can you list some of the games you've released? I'm curious to check out your work.

They only exist on paper, I can't code or draw and can't learn that stuff, especially not to the skill level required for the worlds I've made.
    • 194 posts
    November 2, 2023 4:04 PM PDT
    The answer is no then.
    • 3852 posts
    November 2, 2023 4:50 PM PDT
    Ideas are the easy part. Implementation kills the great majority of book/game projects.
    • 2419 posts
    November 2, 2023 6:02 PM PDT

Grimseethe said: They only exist on paper, I can't code or draw and can't learn that stuff, especially not to the skill level required for the worlds I've made.

ROFL.

• 50 posts
    November 2, 2023 10:11 PM PDT
    Everquest 2 looks far better, (dented armor bump mapping as an example) and actual shiny armor in the right sunlight.

that was 2004 and it pushed graphics cards.

then there's Rift - looks amazing ! and released 2007 and ran GREAT on mediocre hardware. and has pets and arrows working from day 1.

10 years later Pantheon started looking about right to push graphics a bit.

Then we get this - not nearly as good looking as EQ2 - from 20 years ago. no bump mapping or reflections on anything that i can see.

How can EQ2 and Rift looks SO MUCH more realistic (including snakes bats and rats) from 15-20 years ago.

Yikes.
    • 128 posts
    November 3, 2023 4:57 AM PDT

Grimseethe said: The moment they chaged the art style the game died.

The game did NOT die!

It was murdered.

• 33 posts
    November 3, 2023 10:15 AM PDT

I don't know when the game died, or if its truly dead, but I have to throw my lot in with the people who don't like the changes.  In fact, I'm in the hate camp.  I am just returning from a couple months away (I took someone's advice, can't remember who, who said a way to avoid the frustration of the snails pace is to just take a month or two away, let things develop, then come back).  I even upped my pledge.  And I come back to this.  I watched the art video, and I literally, out loud, said "F*******ck" the instant I saw the blue teleportation portal.  I don't want to play an overwatch/Fortnite looking MMO.  I'm sorry, graphics have never been the end-all-be-all for me, and I am open to a range of visuals.  But this is just terrible.  I have been following this game because it had a gritty high fantasy vibe.  Whether it looked like Bless, Lineage, Neverwinter, Rift, FFXIV, an updated EQ, there are many tones and styles I would have been fine with if the gameplay and spirit of the game was what was described.  But something that looks like WoW and Fortnite just had a baby?  Seriously?

• 80 posts
    November 3, 2023 1:02 PM PDT
    The portal is pretty soul crushing for some reason: https://pantheonmmo.com/wp-content/uploads/pan-media/live/screenshots/[883]20231031_IMG_IntothePortal_Jothany_2560x1440(FULL).png
    • 3852 posts
    November 3, 2023 2:58 PM PDT
    "But something that looks like WoW and Fortnite just had a baby? Seriously?"

I only wish that was how development worked. We would have had something in nine months.