Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game sound, On or Off in MMORPG's?

• 646 posts
    October 15, 2018 6:41 PM PDT

Kilsin said:Some of the cues will definitely be audio, good thinking :)

Do you have any plans to accomodate for the hard of hearing with those cues (e.g. mob dialogue being having both audio and text in chat)? Doesn't affect myself, but it does affect people I know.

• 1281 posts
    October 15, 2018 6:54 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Game sound, On or Off in MMORPG's, which do you prefer and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

On.... Absolutely on. With spacial sound on if it supports it.

• 34 posts
    October 15, 2018 7:04 PM PDT

Definitely on!

• 388 posts
    October 15, 2018 7:40 PM PDT

I'm an audiophile, so everything on. 

For me, i feel like it's half the game. good sound mixing can set a mood for an area, give subtle hints of danger etc. need my sounds. 

This post was edited by Flapp at October 15, 2018 9:27 PM PDT
    • 234 posts
    October 15, 2018 7:53 PM PDT

On and I like to feel the sound :P

But usually end up turning music down due to

1. I've heard it a billion times now and

2. headset interference. 

• 363 posts
    October 15, 2018 10:00 PM PDT

In group, no voice chat, sound up

In group voice chat, sound low

• 612 posts
    October 15, 2018 11:39 PM PDT

Sounds on... Music off.

• 178 posts
    October 16, 2018 12:09 AM PDT

sound, on.

music, depends.

mostly off, except wow vanilla to wow WOTLK which had just wonderful music, if something amazed me playing later on Nostalrius is how the zone music added to the feel of the zone. 

something that i took for granted when played original wow but was not recreated in many other MMOs i played since then.

just like EQ junkies will always remember Kelethin i will always remember Ashenvale.

• 257 posts
    October 16, 2018 7:25 AM PDT

If the music is as good as say ... Zelda or Undertale then I'm all about it.

• 696 posts
    October 16, 2018 7:33 AM PDT

I would hope that perception types of sounds and music are on a different bar, and don't scale together. With that being said it really depends on the music. Some music can make the zone feel great, and other times annoying. 

I will usually leave everything on in the beginning of my first character. Until I start to remember zones better, and visual cues and perceptions that require sound. Then I would usually play my own music in the background and mute everything.

But if the game is actually tough, then I may not play any outside music because I will be focusing on what is going on.

• 206 posts
    October 16, 2018 4:44 PM PDT

All the way on. 

• 243 posts
    October 16, 2018 6:27 PM PDT

Running around by myself doing nothing: Music on, ambient sounds on, combat music off (I never really want it on)

In group: Music off, ambient sounds on, combat music off.

• 200 posts
    October 17, 2018 7:29 AM PDT
    Always on. In that sense music has to be good, I find it really grating if I have to turn it off because I find it too overwhelming, intrusive or repetitive and when I do that it makes me appreciate a game less overall. Music that draws me in, that enhances the atmosphere and different feels of zones, yes please!

It’s one of the reasons I’m not a big voice chat fan, I like to be fully immersed. Excellent in game sounds add greatly to that experience for me.
    • 3016 posts
    October 17, 2018 8:09 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Game sound, On or Off in MMORPG's, which do you prefer and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Game sound ON..ALWAYS,  its part of the flavour and feel of the game, for me personally. :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    October 17, 2018 8:11 AM PDT

vigilantee13 said:

Other than Music Off [×]

Why in Gods name would anyone whos not deaf turn game sound off?

To me gaming (especially MMORPGS) is about escaping this world a d delving into another.  So immersion is super important, I would hope sounds fit the environment and when Im near a river or waterfall I hear its rumble.

Athstetically speaking I believe sound also sets the mood, for instance, slithering sounds, owls hooting, and a general stillness to the air or gusts of wind set the tone for a spooky undead filled zones and with zombie groans etc.

This too,  specially when I am exploring..stay alert to sounds that are different,  possible alerts to danger etc.   That for me is immersive,  a new world..a place that isn't like where I live in the physical world.  :)