Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Last name

• 16 posts
    May 12, 2017 6:51 PM PDT

I don't know if somebody already asked,  can we have the same  last name with all our characters?

I hate when players hide behind their new charters . I love to know when sombody do nice or not so nice to me.

I can't stand it when guilds have a tons of alternate characters ,especially  in different guild.

This post was edited by kopasz at May 12, 2017 6:56 PM PDT
    • 16 posts
    May 12, 2017 9:45 PM PDT

Sorry I think it is my fault for not making myself clear.

I do know they talked about the last name .

What I am asking is, can we make each  "account"  player have only one last name .                                                                        

Regardless how many characters  a player create.

This post was edited by kopasz at May 12, 2017 9:53 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 12, 2017 11:06 PM PDT

kopasz said:

Sorry I think it is my fault for not making myself clear.

I do know they talked about the last name .

What I am asking is, can we make each  "account"  player have only one last name .                                                                        

Regardless how many characters  a player create.

Currently, it is set up for each character, not account wide but it is something we could discuss during testing to see what suits our game best. :)

• 202 posts
    May 12, 2017 11:13 PM PDT

Uhh, I do not agree to this feature. I wouldn't want everyone to know what character I am currently on, especially trolls and A-hole's decide they want to bother me.

Sometimes I wish to play on another character without my guild knowing so they cannot bug me every 2 minutes going.. HEY, you are not on your main... WTF!?

You also sometimes want to be able to hide your characters from friends sometimes cause sometimes your friends just bother the **** out of you and you need to take a break from them.

This post was edited by Tootiredtocare at May 12, 2017 11:14 PM PDT
    • 119 posts
    May 13, 2017 12:11 AM PDT

Kilsin said:Currently, it is set up for each character, not account wide but it is something we could discuss during testing to see what suits our game best. :)

sounds like a typical "just try to keep everyone happy" answer. sorry if that's negative, but i've seen too many of those, in the transgender thread for example. i can't imagine forced surnames is going to happen, why not honestly tell him?

i like to play different characters. for example in EQ my (gnome) warriors surname was Ironarm. i'm confident you understand this fits the character but i don't want the same surname on my elven druid. some of my characters don't have a surname at all.

• 28 posts
    May 13, 2017 2:08 AM PDT

This is a RPG. If I want to play different roles, let me play different roles.

I want to be able to play 2 completely different characters. I am all for interracial marriage (in real life I definitely am!) but why should an oger have the same last name as a gnome - or a skar as an elve?

I do understand both sides for and against this "last name"-idea and I was about to say that you should be able to search for active players connected to an account name but I think this would go too far. 

It counters the A-holes but it "hurts" people who just want to be left alone. 

• 9115 posts
    May 13, 2017 4:02 AM PDT

letsdance said:

Kilsin said:Currently, it is set up for each character, not account wide but it is something we could discuss during testing to see what suits our game best. :)

sounds like a typical "just try to keep everyone happy" answer. sorry if that's negative, but i've seen too many of those, in the transgender thread for example. i can't imagine forced surnames is going to happen, why not honestly tell him?

i like to play different characters. for example in EQ my (gnome) warriors surname was Ironarm. i'm confident you understand this fits the character but i don't want the same surname on my elven druid. some of my characters don't have a surname at all.

Because nothing like that is set in stone, so it is up for discussion during testing when we will gather feedback from the majority and make a decision, so until then it may be possible, same as the character sex change, will we accept both? Who knows but I am not going to sit here and say a straight up yes or no to such questions when we don;t have the feedback yet or even discussed how it would effect our game.

It wouldn't be my choice either if I was a community member, but your tastes and my tastes are just two of tens of thousands supporting our game, so let's wait and see what testing reveals before trying to dismiss or lock in things like this.

• 28 posts
    May 13, 2017 6:36 AM PDT

what Kilsin said :)

And to be fair, Kilsin is Community Manager. Keeping everyone happy is part of his job. 

• 633 posts
    May 13, 2017 7:23 AM PDT

I'm against surnames be account bound, mainly because I plan on playing different races and if I make a halfling with the surname Mistytoes, I don't want my ogre to have the surname Mistytoes as well.

• 84 posts
    May 13, 2017 7:54 AM PDT

Hopefully a last name is not going to be a requirement.

• 234 posts
    May 13, 2017 12:13 PM PDT

Suggestion: The player can change their sur name (per character on any account) at any time after level 20 and no more than every 6months of real time. 

This post was edited by azaya at May 13, 2017 12:15 PM PDT
    • 202 posts
    May 13, 2017 12:19 PM PDT

azaya said:

Suggestion: The player can change their sur name (per character on any account) at any time after level 20 and no more than every 6months of real time. 

But, that is not the problem mate. The problem that people are having with this post is Account bound Vs just Character Bound. But is a great suggestion for just Character bound Surnames. If we made the Surnames account bound and only allowed them to change their Surname once a character hit level 20 and every 6 months real time would be annoying.... As some people said; they like to have their Surnames oriented toward something such as their race or class... or even their First name just to be funny.

Other problems with Account Based Surnames is that people can search you by your surname; and not everyone wants to be pestered by trolls, haters, guild members, and friends that you are trying to hide from.

• 563 posts
    May 14, 2017 6:36 AM PDT

Make the surname character bound with the option to link an alt to that character to allow that alt to have the same surname. Obviously allow a progeny to take the characters surname aswell.

Make the surname account bound in the sense that other people can't take your surname and use it on their characters. Possibly allow the option to give another player the ability to use the surname on a character, allowing the roleplay of spouses/family.

• 1618 posts
    May 14, 2017 7:09 AM PDT

I don't remember what thread it was in, but a few months ago, they stated first AND last names were chosen at creation and the combination would enforce the uniqueness.  

Found the thread: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1923/identical-first-names/view/page/1

• 16 posts
    May 14, 2017 9:27 AM PDT

LeonSanborn said:

azaya said:

But, that is not the problem mate. The problem that people are having with this post is Account bound Vs just Character Bound. But is a great suggestion for just Character bound Surnames. If we made the Surnames account bound and only allowed them to change their Surname once a character hit level 20 and every 6 months real time would be annoying.... As some people said; they like to have their Surnames oriented toward something such as their race or class... or even their First name just to be funny.

Other problems with Account Based Surnames is that people can search you by your surname; and not everyone wants to be pestered by trolls, haters, guild members, and friends that you are trying to hide from.

All we would need is to have option ,you can turn your name of or on . When is in off  nobody can see your name in the search ,no guild no friend nobody . Only way know its is you if they standing in the same area. You would not get tell from other players till you  are ready to be pestered with guild members friend or with other players. 

• 521 posts
    May 14, 2017 12:35 PM PDT

LeonSanborn said:

Uhh, I do not agree to this feature. I wouldn't want everyone to know what character I am currently on, especially trolls and A-hole's decide they want to bother me.

I’d actually be in favor of the last name being a mandatory account wide thing. Anonymity Should only go so far in a game like this where reputation matters.

I understand sometimes people just want to play in peace without the guild/friend's pestering for your attention, but Ive always found that being honest with them goes along way, instead of sneaking around in the dark on a secret character, which incidentally is what “trolls and A-hole's” as you put it, like to do.

• 633 posts
    May 14, 2017 12:42 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

LeonSanborn said:

I’d actually be in favor of the last name being a mandatory account wide thing. Anonymity Should only go so far in a game like this where reputation matters.

I understand sometimes people just want to play in peace without the guild/friend's pestering for your attention, but Ive always found that being honest with them goes along way, instead of sneaking around in the dark on a secret character, which incidentally is what “trolls and A-hole's” as you put it, like to do.

Sometimes people just want to log into the game and play for a short time without having to be bothered by anything.  Perhaps they've had a bad day at work and just want to get into the game and not have to deal with anyone (good or bad).  Because you know that the moment you log in people may be asking you to group, or help them, or raid, or craft something, or whatever.  And it doesn't have to be your guild, it could be friends, or people you've dealt with before (like if you crafted an item for someone).  You just don't want to be bothered with it.

• 18 posts
    May 14, 2017 12:52 PM PDT

I'm pretty sure EQ last names were not unique. u could just name all your chars lasts the same if wanted.

I'm against account bound as well. 

• 521 posts
    May 14, 2017 1:26 PM PDT

kelenin said:

HemlockReaper said:

LeonSanborn said:

Sometimes people just want to log into the game and play for a short time without having to be bothered by anything.  Perhaps they've had a bad day at work and just want to get into the game and not have to deal with anyone (good or bad).  Because you know that the moment you log in people may be asking you to group, or help them, or raid, or craft something, or whatever.  And it doesn't have to be your guild, it could be friends, or people you've dealt with before (like if you crafted an item for someone).  You just don't want to be bothered with it.

"I understand sometimes people just want to play in peace without the guild/friend's pestering for your attention, but Ive always found that being honest with them goes along way, instead of sneaking around in the dark on a secret character"

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at May 14, 2017 1:45 PM PDT
    • 633 posts
    May 14, 2017 3:01 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

kelenin said:

HemlockReaper said:

LeonSanborn said:

"I understand sometimes people just want to play in peace without the guild/friend's pestering for your attention, but Ive always found that being honest with them goes along way, instead of sneaking around in the dark on a secret character"

I read it the first time, but I read more than the bolded part.  I was responding to what came after that.  Sometimes people just don't want to be bothered period.

When EQ2 first came out, I was the highest level cook on our faction (by more than 15 levels) after about 3 weeks.  When I logged in, I was consistently getting messages from people I didn't know that were asking me to make them food, or asking if I had any to sell.

In EQ1, I frequently got messages from people I didn't know asking about jewellery.  It didn't bother me, but if someone is in a bad mood or just doesn't want to be bothered with people, and people could identify them by their surname, then their only option to not be bothered would be to not play the game.  That doesn't sound like a good option to me.

During the velious period I two-boxed a necromancer (with corpse summoning cloak) and cleric (with epic).  I would frequently get asked by people I didn't know to summon their corpses, even though I ran anonymous, simply because they were told I could summon and rez their corpse.  How did they know I could?  I would guess a friend or someone in their guild may have used my services, or knew someone who had, and likely knew I always did it for free.

While it never bothered me, I actually enjoyed doing it, I could see where some people just wouldn't want to be bothered sometimes.  Had a bad day at work?  Learned some bad news?  Just feel like logging in and goofing off and don't want to be bothered?  Well, if everyone knows all your characters are your alt, then I guess you're only option is to just not play.  Doesn't sound very fun to me.

If guilds are worried about their members playing alts when they should be at raids, then that could be part of the raid tools in game.  I believe their was talk in another thread (probably https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1787/guild-discussion/view/page/1) about an option for raid tools to automatically know the alts on that account.  If someone wants to be in a guild that is that way, that is their choice then.

I say let people play their alts anonymously when they want to.

• 1618 posts
    May 14, 2017 3:07 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    May 14, 2017 3:21 PM PDT

I do not want all of my character sharing a surname. That's ridiculous. 

• 1618 posts
    May 14, 2017 3:22 PM PDT

I prefer optional, not required last names AND definitely not account wide.

• 3016 posts
    May 14, 2017 4:14 PM PDT

I like different surnames for all my characters/alts.    I don't get wanting to change one's surname once every 6 months..perhaps I don't understand the "necessity" if indeed there is one.    I think if someone doesn't want a surname they shouldn't have to choose one.   :)

• 9115 posts
    May 14, 2017 5:31 PM PDT

Iksar said:

I do not want all of my character sharing a surname. That's ridiculous. 

I think they are referring to Black Desert Online but I personally would not want shared surnames either, it is unlikely we would do that but again, it is open for discussion during testing until we make a decision.