Forums » News and Announcements

Alpha Pledge Session on Hold

• 5 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:16 AM PST

My Birthday is tomorrow and I cancelled everything so i could play the whole 24 hour's what a bum deal this is. I'm still excited I wanted to see if this was my next MMO because i truly haven't found one since Everquest and Everquest 2. I don't know if i should just throw down 500$ more to get into the pre-alpha.

• 23 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:17 AM PST

Veektor said:

Awww fudge! Well the game IS in a testing phase to find issues, so here we are. Some of us realize that VR doesn't have the deep pockets the likes of other major software developers and things are going to take a bit more time. No point in complaining about it as it serves no purpose to fixing issues. Keep up the the good fight VR, most of us have faith it'll get sorted out.

Just to compare them to the product they are trying to model.   Eq 1 would have already been delivered with less money spent and less time used.     Just putting that out there.

• 17 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:19 AM PST

Zorkon said:

This is Pre-alpha, this was a load TEST of pre-alpha done prematurely in hopes of a give back for the 247 mistake. We should all have expected problems!

VR, I can see your already taking a lot of hate over this but trust that not all of us don't understand. I hope you got some good info on the crowd sizes and what needs to be done with the Persistent system to make the next TEST go smoother. Looking forward to the first of the year and seeing some improvement. As one of your often times more critical pledges, glad I can finally be of assistance in debugging the game. (what we were supposed to be doing, not early access) 

I strongly disagree with this weak spine ****. I am a patient guy. 10 years to get to this point? you get what you deserve.

This post was edited by Valtorak at December 16, 2023 10:21 AM PST
    • 106 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:20 AM PST

Hello. Was able to get to the login in screen. Oh well maybe next year. I keep saying next year since 2017 lol. Was wondering with all the alpha testers that joined over the years, would there be enough servers to handle the log in.

• 22 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:21 AM PST

Mizaro said:

My Birthday is tomorrow and I cancelled everything so i could play the whole 24 hour's what a bum deal this is. I'm still excited I wanted to see if this was my next MMO because i truly haven't found one since Everquest and Everquest 2. I don't know if i should just throw down 500$ more to get into the pre-alpha.

Can you imagine if all the Alpha pledgers forked over the money to login the game and experience Pre-Alpha...then the system wouldn't be able to handle the Pre-Alpha!

• 6 posts

I wish no ill will and truly hope VR pulls it out eventually.  But hearing that the "persist system" is the culprit is not encouraging for those who have experience building complex, realtime, massive scale systems.  If a simple Alpha test is killing whatever cqrs, orm, queuing, messaging or whatever, then I'm fearful that either the server code is fragile or that there's a distinct lack of the types of testing automation necessary to establish those layers in a durable way.

Still, I hope to someday be able to still play this game (as a proper necro)...  For now, I guess it's waiting for M&M's next stressor...

This post was edited by finsternis at December 16, 2023 10:24 AM PST
    • 18 posts

If the overload was caused by new recent upgrades to alpha then those who paid 7+ years ago just to have had alpha removed should have been given priority to get onto the test server.  Unless your goal was to raise money and get us all to pony up a grand for pre-alpha access, in which case it's your loss.  We could have provided plenty of experienced EQ OG quality test feedback. 

• 9 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:23 AM PST

Zorkon said:

This is Pre-alpha, this was a load TEST of pre-alpha done prematurely in hopes of a give back for the 247 mistake. We should all have expected problems!

VR, I can see your already taking a lot of hate over this but trust that not all of us don't understand. I hope you got some good info on the crowd sizes and what needs to be done with the Persistent system to make the next TEST go smoother. Looking forward to the first of the year and seeing some improvement. As one of your often times more critical pledges, glad I can finally be of assistance in debugging the game. (what we were supposed to be doing, not early access) 

Nobody here expected a polished game, but we did expect access to some form of alpha testing that had been promised since Q4 2018. "I hope you got some good info on the crowd sizes" They had the info. They know how many Alpha pledges there are.

People like you want to just give them a pass every time, but the reality is they just have never delivered on any of their promises so why would we believe anything they have to say now?

• 1 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:25 AM PST

The news doesn't come as a surprise for the simple fact even password reset processes weren't working as I tested those out and had bug report on that already. I was personal friends with Brad for 30+ years and invested in several projects he did cause I respected our friendship and always believed in Brad and his vision and teams. Going all the way back to beta launch of EQ. I honestly dont want to think, play, or see anything further about this project as I think nothing will ever come of it. How do I go about request my pledge refund back from geeez 5 years ago it would seem? I could have made some interest on the pledge in the stock market. :) 

FYI The support response for me saying the "MASTER Account" password reset doesn't work getting a reply to create the account using the right same email address. If they took 20 seconds to see the email I used, the email is tied to my key and same one my main account was created they could take my bug report more serious and say Thank you for letting us know so we can fix it. 

• 75 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:26 AM PST

Been on and off the forums keeping up from a distance since so much has been going on with this company.

While I get the disappointment and I myself am disappointed to not being to log in today. I have to say, some of you guys seem to treat this like a double edged sword. If they keep quiet you are calling the masses to a dead game, when they do listen and speak up and come forward to be transparent it's another witch hunt. So which is it you want? Quiet and say nothing or transparent and deliver the news even when its not good news? 

If anyone who has been in that position of having to deliver bad news to something you should be able to at least empathize with Savanja some here. It sucks, it sucks for all parties involved. While I'm not condoning where the game has been nor giving the excuse for them to get a free pass, I can at least admire the willingness to come in make a forum post and just be honest about it. I can respect that.

Everyone who received an email to get in has the right to be mad, frustrated and disappointed. But damn guys, the way some of you act has me questioning why you're even here lol. Like if it's vaporware why are you investing in the time to come into forums and post? The same people screaming this is a scam are the same people who are sitting waiting to log in. Just hypocritical imo. 

Yes, VR needs to find a way to get their S*** together. I hope they do but at this point I feel like even if there was some way for them to get people in how many would be on the forums right now saying "Pre-Alpha is unplayable and why even release this to people if we can't even play your game". Sorry it just gets redundant reading the same thing over even when the company does as you ask and shows transparency. In my own right, my opinion is just that, my own. I'm sure many won't agree and thats okay but just needed to rant a little.

VR if you're reading, I do hope you figure it out and I hope to see a wave of another Save the Date in January. Hopefully you guys can get this all figured out before too many leave, would love to see this game release but I pledged 6 years ago at this point I'm at peace if I'm out that money and will just play another game when one releases/catches my interest. 

Cheers everyone.

• 7 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:26 AM PST

I pledged about 6 years ago, so I have nothing but time, the people that Alpha pledged recently or after the 24 hr. test session was announced should have their $ immediately refunded and keep their pledges, if not this is just another "The Day After" imo

• 17 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:30 AM PST

OGTomkins said:

Been on and off the forums keeping up from a distance since so much has been going on with this company.

While I get the disappointment and I myself am disappointed to not being to log in today. I have to say, some of you guys seem to treat this like a double edged sword. If they keep quiet you are calling the masses to a dead game, when they do listen and speak up and come forward to be transparent it's another witch hunt. So which is it you want? Quiet and say nothing or transparent and deliver the news even when its not good news? 

If anyone who has been in that position of having to deliver bad news to something you should be able to at least empathize with Savanja some here. It sucks, it sucks for all parties involved. While I'm not condoning where the game has been nor giving the excuse for them to get a free pass, I can at least admire the willingness to come in make a forum post and just be honest about it. I can respect that.

Everyone who received an email to get in has the right to be mad, frustrated and disappointed. But damn guys, the way some of you act has me questioning why you're even here lol. Like if it's vaporware why are you investing in the time to come into forums and post? The same people screaming this is a scam are the same people who are sitting waiting to log in. Just hypocritical imo. 

Yes, VR needs to find a way to get their S*** together. I hope they do but at this point I feel like even if there was some way for them to get people in how many would be on the forums right now saying "Pre-Alpha is unplayable and why even release this to people if we can't even play your game". Sorry it just gets redundant reading the same thing over even when the company does as you ask and shows transparency. In my own right, my opinion is just that, my own. I'm sure many won't agree and thats okay but just needed to rant a little.

VR if you're reading, I do hope you figure it out and I hope to see a wave of another Save the Date in January. Hopefully you guys can get this all figured out before too many leave, would love to see this game release but I pledged 6 years ago at this point I'm at peace if I'm out that money and will just play another game when one releases/catches my interest. 

Cheers everyone.

Trust me, if I could refund my purchase or go back in time and stop myself, I would. 

• 10 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:31 AM PST

Yet another nail in the coffin !!!!

If I could at this point I would get my money back :(

• 3 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:32 AM PST

Savanja said:

... We will keep you informed as we work through the current issues and are able to set a new date for our Alpha pledges to join a Pre-Alpha testing session.

On a more constructive note, please send an email with this info.  Many of us 'old backers' aren't following the forums and had no idea the test was cancelled.  I'm sure there are plenty of people out there just hitting 'Login' with the assumption they will eventually get in.  

This post was edited by Majarin at December 16, 2023 10:33 AM PST
    • 5 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:33 AM PST

Disappointing.

• 47 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:33 AM PST

I'm actually glad. I never go anywhere, and I happen to have an overnight trip that I leave for today. And then I'm moving next week, so this totally works out! Very excited to play when they are able to get us in.

• 44 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:37 AM PST

I can't add much that hasn't already been expressed.

Just that... it's growing harder and harder to be a supporter/defender of VA through all the recent criticism. Art update? While I am fine with the hand painted style, I completely get and feel for people who (rightfully) expected a realistic style. The ill fated 247 mode? In the end I was kind of looking forward to getting my hands on it, just as a curiosity. But again... I complete get peoples issues with it. It was presented as using the funds for the game we wanted, for another game.

With those 2 recent controversies... VR really needed to score some good will with us Alpha pledges, and this test today was supposed to be that. And here we are... some of us planning out our day for weeks... only to have the rug pulled. There's no good will to be had from this. Just negative will. It does not do VR any favors in the public eye. I get it. Bugs happen. More so in developmental testing phases. But this is a bit much.

Here I was thinking that the poor planning and design of the patching process was going to be the worst thing about this week/today... Boy was I wrong! I did not have "last minute rug pull" on my bingo card.

This post was edited by DarkAkuma at December 16, 2023 10:38 AM PST
    • 6 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:42 AM PST

not even going to share my pain with you

fool to believe

This post was edited by gravyrobber87 at December 16, 2023 10:56 AM PST
    • 2 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:43 AM PST

Very disappointing after so many years and the game can't handle the alpha pledges a month after it was announced.  You would like to think the Alpha pledges after this announcement would get refunded.

This post was edited by card01 at December 16, 2023 10:43 AM PST
    • 33 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:44 AM PST

By your own admission it will take time till we may go through this again. So at least refund those who are interested and pledged between the time you announced the alpha test session and today. Otherwise, again, do not be surprised with the words fraud and scam. That will be a good sign that you are not driven by greed and that you understand the consequences of your actions and willing to take responsibility.

• 24 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:45 AM PST

Just be all honest to yourself: We all got scammed. Deep down you know it, even the white knights. That whole bad movie you watched for way to long will not turn into a happy end - you know it.

Accept that fact and stop pretending to yourself, that this game will ever see the light.

• 75 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:51 AM PST

Chett said:

Just be all honest to yourself: We all got scammed. Deep down you know it, even the white knights. That whole bad movie you watched for way to long will not turn into a happy end - you know it.

Accept that fact and stop pretending to yourself, that this game will ever see the light.

Lol then why are you still on the forums? Or even remotely paying attention to this game? If you know it's a scam why aren't you 5 miles away from here and staying gone? Usually when most people know a scam they ignore it and move on with their life.

• 24 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:52 AM PST

OGTomkins said:

Chett said:

Lol then why are you still on the forums? Or even remotely paying attention to this game? If you know it's a scam why aren't you 5 miles away from here and staying gone? Usually when most people know a scam they ignore it and move on with their life.

To warn and wake up others. Look at my Post count, i pledged in 2015. And yea i move on to get back in a year and say the same thing. No matter if u like it or not. I give a sh.. 'bout you and what u think how i should handle this scam.

This post was edited by Chett at December 16, 2023 10:53 AM PST
    • 109 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:53 AM PST

Hot Mess Popcorn GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• 1 posts
    December 16, 2023 10:57 AM PST

You guys put out the Q&A video literally yesterday. You already had the numbers in front of you when it was made, so why didn't you just announce the cancellation in it, instead of >>>10<<< minutes before the test was supposed to start? This smells rotten to me. I fully expect to see an announcement of a buyout by Amazon or Microsoft, or whoever, in the near future.