Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Item activation flavor text/emote text

• 633 posts
    June 4, 2018 3:18 PM PDT

Something I was thinking about recently is that EQ (and some more recent games) had flavor text for some things like spells and attacks.  It would be nice if activating an item also had flavor text when activated.  For example, using a Guise of the Deceiver could say something like "Kelenin runs her hand across her mask."  Or having a bag that summons a random pet when clicked on could be something like "Kelenin reaches into her bag and pulls out a..." and then the pet appears.

I think it would add a lot to the immersion of the game and would be cool to see and become familiar with common effects from items when they are used.  It could even get people talking to each other to see what a certain emote was for.

Items with an activation time could also have 2 flavor texts, one when activated and one when the effect completes (assuming it doesn't just cast a spell that already has flavor).

• 769 posts
    June 4, 2018 3:33 PM PDT

I am all for this. 

What I hope for, however, is a lot of customization with text and filters. If this is anything like EQ, there was A LOT of information in those chat screens. I hope VR gives us the option to be very, very specific in what we decide to filter out of our chat screens so only the information that is important to the player shows up. 

• 2756 posts
    June 4, 2018 6:27 PM PDT

I'm pretty sure devs commented in one of the streams aboout flavour text.  One of the streamers said there seemed to be a lot of text and Brad or someone said, yeah, some of it was for testing purposes, but they did intend to have a lot of flavour text.

• 2886 posts
    June 5, 2018 1:33 AM PDT

disposalist said:

I'm pretty sure devs commented in one of the streams aboout flavour text.  One of the streamers said there seemed to be a lot of text and Brad or someone said, yeah, some of it was for testing purposes, but they did intend to have a lot of flavour text.

Yup, that was actually in their chat with MMORPG.com: https://youtu.be/H8kNkQK_izg

Brad will make sure there is plenty of flavor text in Pantheon because it hearkens back to his MUD days.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 5, 2018 1:33 AM PDT