Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What do you prefer?

• 9115 posts
    June 4, 2018 4:01 AM PDT

Have you ever played a character that is the opposite in gender to yourself? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 470 posts
    June 4, 2018 4:34 AM PDT

Na. I usually just play male characters as my characters are just a fantasy version and extension of my digital self. But I do know plenty of folks that mix it up and play both. Several members of my guild as well as some other friends just prefer to play as the opposite character gender. 

This post was edited by Kratuk at June 4, 2018 5:26 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    June 4, 2018 4:34 AM PDT

I am a male and usually play a female.

I usually play in third person and find a female avatar more pleasant to look at :)

I like to stay in character, but I don't role-play too seriously and really the gender of my character is usually not significant in an in-game way.  I also play several alts and look at my characters more as heros whose stories I direct than incarnations of my self.

I also find heroines more interesting than heros.  Heros have been so overdone in just about every media there has ever been.

This post was edited by disposalist at June 4, 2018 4:36 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    June 4, 2018 4:57 AM PDT

Well I'd say most of my melee heavy characters are fits and I am not.

However, I rarely play female toons except if males are ugly as **** ( wow night elves and draenei anyone ?), especially because in roleplay, males playing females are overdoing stereotypical genres, and ends up beeing facets of a feminine personality instead of a full one.

Thus, I prefer to leave their credit to female players, instead of ending a caricature of some sort.

• 1404 posts
    June 4, 2018 5:00 AM PDT

My main is always my gender. I will play the opposite gender if I'm duel boxing so that i have a couple.

• 3852 posts
    June 4, 2018 5:15 AM PDT

All of my characters are the opposite gender. Being straight, I prefer to look at the other gender, and I guess I'm not so insecure that I feel playing the opposite gender challenges my sense of who I am.

• 1315 posts
    June 4, 2018 5:34 AM PDT

Assuming that there is no mechanical advantage to either gender I will usually use a male avatar in an MMO.  In a MMO I spend too much time interacting with other players and find the gender identity disparity to be too distracting, especially when I intend to raid lead and a lot of voice communication.  Its just odd to lead the raid with a deep male nerd voice but be referred to as Pinkfuzzypants and be a small pink haired female character.

All that being said my wife almost always plays male avatars because she does not like the generally sexist behavior, both negative and beneficial, that she has encountered when using a female avatar.  That is also a contributing factor to why she doesn’t like voice chat, which is a shame for the rest of you as she has a beautiful voice.

• 200 posts
    June 4, 2018 5:46 AM PDT
    I’ve tried a few times playing a male because I liked the way the character looked and their animations better than the female model. It didn’t last long, it felt odd and off to me and I didn’t enjoy it. So I stick with my own gender :).
    • 612 posts
    June 4, 2018 7:14 AM PDT

I normally use both depending on the race and class I'm choosing. Most often my Main will be male (as I am), but I choose the gender of other characters depending on how I feel about the character and role. I also really look at the race and how they look both with and without armor that will be typical for that class.

• 70 posts
    June 4, 2018 7:20 AM PDT

My main is a male.  I generally have at least 1-2 female alts depending on class.  I think a female healer makes sense when I'm building a character.

• 319 posts
    June 4, 2018 7:23 AM PDT

I am male but my main is always female. As stated in other posts I prefer to look at the female in 3rd person than a male. But my second is always a male character.  I ususally play Druid as main and warrior as alt. But until the other classes are released ( the full description) I am still probably going with Druid as main and Rogue is now a close second.

But, they may both end up the fairer sex.

• 633 posts
    June 4, 2018 7:44 AM PDT

I play whatever I feel I like the looks of.  Different games have me more leaning towards male or female depending on their designs.  I more often end up playing female characters, though.

• 96 posts
    June 4, 2018 7:56 AM PDT

I've probably done 70% male, 30% female.  My rogueish and sorceress (magic DD) characters tend to be female, and my other characters tend to be male.  It just fits, to me.  

• 162 posts
    June 4, 2018 8:03 AM PDT

This is actually a funny topic, mostly because all the female gamers i know, play male characters, and it's all because they don't want to be identified as female at all thanks to a select few people that have harrassed them in the past.

Myself, I will always play a male character, I have never rolled a female. Now, don't get me wrong, this is just my opinion, but there is nothing aesthetically pleasing about digital females to me, so playing one would have no point. Please don't hate on me for that it's just my opinion, i feel like i have to say this for some reason. But I am a male and will always play a male because of that.

• 409 posts
    June 4, 2018 8:14 AM PDT

I have played a pretty even mix of same/opposite gender, but in games like AO, you have neutral as well (atrox), and I have plenty of atrox toons in that game.

I don't care about the gender beyond the aesthetic and the RP value. I am not a female in real life, but I am also not an elf, dwarf, dark myr, atrox, opifex, iksar, sarnak, pandarian or undead either.

Does it really matter?  

EDIT - this is of course, just my opinion, mine alone, and does not represent anyone else, intentionally or otherwise.

This post was edited by Venjenz at June 4, 2018 8:16 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    June 4, 2018 8:18 AM PDT

It's just pixels, so it doesn't matter to me in the slightest.  Whatever has the smallest hitbox, the fastest animations, or renders the fastest is what makes the decision for me.  I don't care what the appearance, race, or pixel-biological sex of the character is, at all.

• 62 posts
    June 4, 2018 8:59 AM PDT

I'm a female and have only ever made one male character, though I have been tempted to make a male a bunch of times before.  I enjoy both sexes.

• 769 posts
    June 4, 2018 9:59 AM PDT

Dubah said:

Myself, I will always play a male character, I have never rolled a female. Now, don't get me wrong, this is just my opinion, but there is nothing aesthetically pleasing about digital females to me, so playing one would have no point. Please don't hate on me for that it's just my opinion, i feel like i have to say this for some reason. But I am a male and will always play a male because of that.

Agreed. I am a man who plays as a man. Watching feminine pixels doesn't do anything for me, but nor do I begrudge anyone else's choice. You do you, boo-boo. 

• 89 posts
    June 4, 2018 10:14 AM PDT

I tend to think up a general concept for a character that includes a class and then pick the gender that resonates most strongly with that concept. I do this in almost every game where you make a character for almost every character I make.

As an example, my 4th edition DnD Druid was an abandoned child who found solice and comfort in the thousands of little creepy, crawly friends we all know and hate. Because the character was supposed to be creepy and off-putting I chose for the druid to be a girl because I felt that actively pushing against the convention that girls hate and are afraid of bugs would help to serve my purpose of creating a creepy character. It also created great conflict with the other characters who wanted to care for the girl but were extremely disgusted by her.

• 523 posts
    June 4, 2018 10:43 AM PDT

Ultra-aggressive male in real life, and I always play the same way.  Been around the MMO block a ton, I have never once considered playing as a chick.  I have zero desire to increase my odds of getting hit on by lonely nerds.  I do completely understand why women play as male characters though, I probably would too in that situation. 

• 40 posts
    June 4, 2018 10:51 AM PDT

I usually play males.  I've rolled a few females, but it has nothing to do with "looking at a pixelated girl" or anything.  It was always a character concept.  Like my half elf bard in Vanguard was female because I was just done playing a re-run of Shining Force CD and wanted to play a character with a name from that game, which happened to be female.

• 2752 posts
    June 4, 2018 10:56 AM PDT

Only game that comes to mind I have done so was Mass Effect 2 and only because the voice acting was far superior for the female version of the main character. Otherwise it's not something that interests me at all.

• 76 posts
    June 4, 2018 10:58 AM PDT
    Depends on the models on a per race basis. Also I normally just randomly roll a toon if I have a name I would like to use or such.
    • 57 posts
    June 4, 2018 11:30 AM PDT

My primary for any class that I play aligns with my own gender (mainly due to the fact that I prefer my voice chat to mirror my avatar's gender).  If I get bored a play a secondary of that class as an alternate then I typically chose the other gender.

• 151 posts
    June 4, 2018 11:54 AM PDT
    50/50. Gender balance and looking at attractive opposite gender. Throw in some persona of serious or cute for size.