Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Looting and such

• 3 posts
    June 1, 2018 9:25 AM PDT
    Hi dev team -

I was curious on how the loot system will work...

For instance, can any common mob drop rare or magical goods? Probably not unique items but rare nonetheless. Obviously named mobs will have unique items, etc. Just curious.

Also, looting within groups and how that looks. Can you offer some insight?

Thank you all. Looking forward to your responses.

Chris
    • 96 posts
    June 1, 2018 9:59 AM PDT

Hello CilmasViridian,

From what I've heard so far, that's not set in stone yet.  But you can expect mobs to have suitable loot.  IE a rat will not be dropping earrings or a sword.  So far, we have not seen anything other than a basic loot system in the streams but there have been hints that something a bit more robust may be worked on eventually.  

I'm also fairly sure that this was listed as somethign that would be finalized/tested in a later phase.  

• 3852 posts
    June 1, 2018 10:17 AM PDT

Maybe the rare Mountains of Mist rats will have a life cycle that involves eating ultra-rare iridium nodes, and each kill will give a tiny chance of getting one of these ultra-rare nodes.

That probably isn't the way to bet, though.

• 66 posts
    June 1, 2018 11:07 AM PDT

They answered this one tentatively in a previous stream, and it seems close to EQ/Vanguard loot tables. Named mobs (though maybe not all) should have unique loot, maybe unique crafting materials. Trash mobs in some areas may also have a rare drop item that is shared on enemies of a specific type. Crafting will produce worthwhile gear that should be comparable to dungeon loot. Stat increments will be kept low, so more like +1 or +2 than +100-200. They will have competition for loot, from what I remember, meaning shared loot tables not individual loot per player.

That's all me paraphrasing from memory though. I need to take notes so I can cite these things.

• 3 posts
    June 1, 2018 1:37 PM PDT

Thanks folks for the responses here. Much appreciated. Look forward to seeing you all in game =)

Also, would be cool if those super rare iridium gnawing rats dropped ingots... just saying. 

• 162 posts
    June 1, 2018 6:18 PM PDT

ClimasViridian said:

Thanks folks for the responses here. Much appreciated. Look forward to seeing you all in game =)

Also, would be cool if those super rare iridium gnawing rats dropped ingots... just saying. 

Jeez, ingots too? Let's teach snakes to kick too.... JK lol, I always loved that EQ snakes could kick. And as a rogue i was able to steal cyclops eyes, and steal giant toes, i even stole a head from something once, i forgot who i stole it from, but it was his head, had his name on it. I was half tempted to run away thinking he would just run around like a chicken, but he was still trying to kill me.

• 612 posts
    June 3, 2018 1:49 PM PDT

If I remember correctly, back in EQ1 you could actually give an item to a mob and then when you killed it the item would be on the corpse of that mob. I vaguely remember doing this to secretly give lowbie characters a treat by giving fairly nice items to non-kos monsters in leveling zones and then watching to see who came along to kill that monster and get a huge suprise. Also if that item was a weapon and the mob was a humanoid (ie could use weapons) it would actually be visually in their hand and people could see what weapon would drop on the corpse. So you could technically give a flaming sword to a newbie orc and he would walk around with a flaming sword. It would actualy proc effects too when you fought him. So the newbies might need to band together to take on the orc with the flaming sword that proc'd huge damage fireball effect.

Necromancers used to do this with their pets. Give your summoned skeleton an awesome sword and he does a lot more damage. You had to be careful though since if you zoned your pet would poof and you wouldn't be getting that sword back. I forget how they got the items back... I think you could duel your friend and he could kill your pet and loot it for you or something like that. It's been a long time and I didn't ever play a necromancer much.

Bosses also would use the items that they had spawned with. This was because the loot for a monster was pre-determined when it spawned, not when it died. So if you came into the room and the boss was holding the Flaming Sword of Doom, you knew that he would drop Flaming Sword of Doom when you killed him. This would also mean that when you fought him, you'd have to deal with the Flaming Doom effect of said sword during the fight, which might make it more difficult. Some items weren't visable, but you'd still see the effects going off during the fight. So if the mob had a ring of healing that proc'd a heal randomly, you might actually see that heal effect going off on the boss during the fight and you'd know "Wow he's got the ring!" and the fight might take longer because he's getting healed periodically.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at June 3, 2018 1:55 PM PDT
    • 162 posts
    June 3, 2018 2:57 PM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

If I remember correctly, back in EQ1 you could actually give an item to a mob and then when you killed it the item would be on the corpse of that mob. I vaguely remember doing this to secretly give lowbie characters a treat by giving fairly nice items to non-kos monsters in leveling zones and then watching to see who came along to kill that monster and get a huge suprise. Also if that item was a weapon and the mob was a humanoid (ie could use weapons) it would actually be visually in their hand and people could see what weapon would drop on the corpse. So you could technically give a flaming sword to a newbie orc and he would walk around with a flaming sword. It would actualy proc effects too when you fought him. So the newbies might need to band together to take on the orc with the flaming sword that proc'd huge damage fireball effect.

Necromancers used to do this with their pets. Give your summoned skeleton an awesome sword and he does a lot more damage. You had to be careful though since if you zoned your pet would poof and you wouldn't be getting that sword back. I forget how they got the items back... I think you could duel your friend and he could kill your pet and loot it for you or something like that. It's been a long time and I didn't ever play a necromancer much.

Bosses also would use the items that they had spawned with. This was because the loot for a monster was pre-determined when it spawned, not when it died. So if you came into the room and the boss was holding the Flaming Sword of Doom, you knew that he would drop Flaming Sword of Doom when you killed him. This would also mean that when you fought him, you'd have to deal with the Flaming Doom effect of said sword during the fight, which might make it more difficult. Some items weren't visable, but you'd still see the effects going off during the fight. So if the mob had a ring of healing that proc'd a heal randomly, you might actually see that heal effect going off on the boss during the fight and you'd know "Wow he's got the ring!" and the fight might take longer because he's getting healed periodically.

Yes you could do this but it depended on the item, i don't remember how it worked but you couldn't give no drop items and i think magic items... not 100% sure on that magic item part. Maybe it was lore items you couldn't give... 

Oh yes, and for getting the item back you couldn't for a while, then eventually they added the pets can zone with you shortly after kunark came out i think it was.

This post was edited by Dubah at June 3, 2018 2:58 PM PDT