Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

If you only had one choice...

• 213 posts
    May 28, 2018 12:33 PM PDT

1.   A reason for PVPers to come together and be diplomatic.  A common enemy they must face together or be defeated.  The Pvp community has become so toxic because it's always Us VS them.  I want to see developers with a broader horizon than that.  I just want to see players have a reason to be good to eachother again.  I don't actually PVP much but when I do, I always remember why I don't like it.

I don't think it's impossible to add a system in a game to bring what would otherwise be a divided community.  I just think no one has done it yet.  =)

• 209 posts
    May 28, 2018 2:38 PM PDT

I would add a well done AA type system that lets players customize thier character's abilities to some extent without actually changing their group role. I can't give a specific example from a game, because I'm not sure I've ever seen the perfect one. (I liked the class mastery system from EQOA, but would probably prefer a system where newer players could actually catch up to vetrans after a bit and eventually max out their skill points.) Even if there is no defined AA system, having a number of more organic choices to make throughout the game such as choosing between major abilities, choosing epic weapons, etc. would go a long way toward letting players make their character special in different ways. In general, I'm a big fan of giving the player choices as long as it doesn't go too far and end up compromising the tenets a game like Pantheon is built on.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at May 28, 2018 2:41 PM PDT
    • 432 posts
    May 28, 2018 2:47 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If you could add one feature to Pantheon from any other game, what would it be and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I'll make it simple, I don't know of a feature at the moment, i'll give it some thought. But I'd really love it if there were Turtles/Tortoises as wild animals roaming around biting vegetation or perhaps the occational sitting player. 

• 278 posts
    May 28, 2018 3:22 PM PDT

EQ2 guild "quests" but as there will be no instances and competion i guess i will end up a bad thing for the community, but some type of mission, thing for guilds to complete to help advance the guild

• 95 posts
    May 28, 2018 4:56 PM PDT

Having a actual dragons, not a draconic race, like Horizons had where you could take it from egg to adult and have to complete quests to go from one stage to the next. It wasnt overpowered how they did it and it was def unique as far as any mmo's i have ever played.

ps having a world wide quest on each server that involved crafters of all types and needed guards so the crafters would not to be killed while building what needed building. yes, you were attacked by mobs while you were trying to build etc as they didnt want you to complete that quest.

(in general Horizons was way ahead of its time and i wish more games had what they did. the reason for the failure of the game was there was no real loot on the mobs other than crafting materials.)

• 470 posts
    May 28, 2018 5:13 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If you could add one feature to Pantheon from any other game, what would it be and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I'm not sure if I could pick just one. I mean you have my overwhelming desire for a deep crafting system like Vanguard or better as well as the group harvesting system. The dynamic world type invasion events of Rift. The epic dungeons of old Norrath. A mentor system, a deep class system with meaningful roles, a Guild Advancement system that also comes with guild quests or tasks, a great way to add randomized traps in dungeons without becoming too predictable to give rogues that extra something role as well as allowing arcane users to be the ones to detect and maybe deal with magic traps (perhaps in conjunction with the rogue for a bonus), tavern games, I could go on and on.

Another thing I would maybe like to see is something that Horizons, now called Istaria attempted a long time ago at launch is with player housing. In the original idea (haven't played it in a long time but the original idea never really hit its stride) there were plots set aside that players could build towns on, improve them and maybe add some guards and defenses. But over time the undead blight would spread and eventually threaten the town. If the players failed to protect it, the town would fall and be lost to the blight. I always thought that was a good idea.

Sorry, Kilsin. I could keep going but I've already zipped past one.

• 5 posts
    May 28, 2018 5:46 PM PDT

A mentor system past level 20. 

• 73 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:29 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

I would have to go with the Gravity Gun from Half life. It would be interesting to see VR work that one into the game.

In all seriousness, I really enjoyed Vanguard's use of diplomacy. It doesn't have to be the same thing but the idea of having another card based game within the MMO world appeals to me for some reason. I like having a lot of useful alternatives to dungeon crawling. 

• 1618 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:54 PM PDT

Multiple guilds for the same character.

Nothing is more anti-community and anti-social than making us choose one group of friends.

I like to raid at high levels, which requires me to be in a high level guild.

I like large guilds, where I can always find a good group.

I like small guilds, where I can help out, teach, and build.

I like family guilds, where I can join with only my family.

One guild cannot provide all of this. So, I am currently forced to choose between achieving and being social.

If I was allowed multiple guilds, I could participate in all aspects of the game and honor all of my friends.

• 257 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:57 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

Nothing is more anti-community and anti-social than making us choose one group of friends.

One guild cannot provide all of this. So, I am currently forced to choose between achieving and being social.

If I was allowed multiple guilds, I could participate in all aspects of the game and honor all of my friends.

What if members of Intel and AMD wanted to hang out? Oh wait, that already happened. Carry on.

This post was edited by Retsof at May 28, 2018 6:57 PM PDT
    • 523 posts
    May 28, 2018 8:46 PM PDT

EQ2's Housing/Guild Hall system.  

• 612 posts
    May 28, 2018 9:23 PM PDT

Beefcake said: Multiple guilds for the same character.

I never thought of this, but I really like this idea.

• 390 posts
    May 28, 2018 10:09 PM PDT

what Beefcake said. ESO allows more than one guild and when you join one, it's account wide. ALL of your characters get to join. Love that. 

• 393 posts
    May 29, 2018 12:59 AM PDT

Too many ideas really. But if I had to choose one.

I would love a really well thought out, deeply immersive faction system. And like in EQ, one that had oppositional factions where if you raised one you decreased another.

Runner up idea, I've been hearing so many things about Vanguard's crafting system. I never played Vanguard, so I'd love to see that. Or something like it.

• 67 posts
    May 29, 2018 1:07 AM PDT

Due to the fact, pantheon will be designed as a social game; I would like to have an additional group into the raid UI (like APW in VG). This means, if the raid encounter allows (for example) 4 groups, design the raid UI for 5 groups. But only the first 4 groups in the raid can attack a mob. Nobody wants to sit in front of a dungeon and wait 2 hours or even longer.

The benefit would be that everyone gets involved in the raid (at least to a certain degree). They could also read and write in the raid channel as they are in the raid.

• 25 posts
    May 29, 2018 1:30 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

Ooh, controversial! ESO had that, certainly plenty liked it, plenty didn't.  I personally hated it.  There was a serious lack of commitment/dedication/loyalty to each and every Guild. I mean I only run fairly casual Guilds but even I felt the multi Guild system caused way too much of a casual attitude from members.  Having Guildies unable to help/do things with other Guildies because they are already busy with their other Guild....no thanks.

As for what I would like to see this game have.  The Defensive Reactive abilities Vanguard had.  Loved them

• 2756 posts
    May 29, 2018 3:30 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

This is a very important one. we all have multiple social groups, not just one.  Also, I often don't join guilds at all in games because to be in one pretty much means to shun friends in others.

• 1303 posts
    May 29, 2018 4:34 AM PDT

If I could add one thing.... 

Necromancers. 

Because, ... Necromancers. 

• 151 posts
    May 29, 2018 4:48 AM PDT

Shyin said:

After watching the gameplay videos, I would have to say a light source of some type that can sit in your inventory. Something that doesn't have to be held. Torches are great and give off a good amount of light but giving up that hand slot is something most people won't be willing to do. It's too important of a slot to your character. Whether it be something found, summoned or even player crafted, {hint, hint, maybe something with stats as your crafting skill progresses}, there needs to be some type of light source.

I won't call this my "most wanted" thing, but I would like to have a "light source" slot, and decide up front that there would NEVER be stats on this item.  Instead, there would be different types of light sources that are effective in different areas.  Maybe you have to do a quest for a particular type of light source that allows you to see in a particular dungeon or raid zone.

• 178 posts
    May 29, 2018 6:23 AM PDT

An interactive environment involving some sort of puzzle solving mechanism that can be integrated into perception skills and perhaps traps and disarm traps (for rogues), and maybe in various crafting skills. At the moment, for example, I'm thinking of the rotating tiles in one of the dungeons (starter dungeon) in DDO. It was basically like a "Pipe Mania" game. It effectily meant having to solve the puzzle on the floor in a set amount of time or else disater hit (don't remember if the dungeon would start to collapse and you had to get out).

But it could be linked to a disarm trap skill in as much that a higher disarm trap skill may allow for being able to move or rotate tiles faster. The higher the skill level the faster you are at disabling traps. This could also work for gears. A perception system could trigger ability to move tiles where those that don't have such a high perception skill may not be able to quickly locate a tile to move. These things could be used to open an alternate entrance or exit door. No one would be prevented from interacting, just various skills would allow for faster or clearer interaction. It doesn't just have to be tiles or gears or gemstones or artifacts. It could be NPCs like a room of butterflies or a school of fish - locate the right one and snag it.

These things can be randomly generated in an area like a respawns happen for NPCs. It could be that after successfully disarming it, there is a period of time where things are safe until it respawns again. Random tiles could be part of the respawn as could placement. For crafting it could be the interaction with the environment for which crafting takes place (a temperature component, for example).

• 62 posts
    May 29, 2018 6:50 AM PDT

The classic EQ style pets that spawn with random names.  Or just cool pets in general.  Pets that kinda spawn differently.  Nothing annoys me more these days than seeing petters with the same pets running around.  I mean, I get that they will be the same pet ultimately, but maybe having 3 or 4 differently generated ones... just for cosmetic purposes.  Petters need more love.

• 644 posts
    May 29, 2018 6:51 AM PDT

Real implementation of stealth gameplay, like the original single player game "Thief: the Dark Project" from 1998.  Not just half-baked stealth but a real, terrifying sneaking function.  EQ has some tiny aspects of this but it wasn't nearly as immersive as Thief.  EQ was weak in that sneaking was simply based upon aggro radius and not sound (move slowly to be more quiet), line of sight (sneaking around behind a mobs back), light (sneaking in shadows and avoiding light), mobs losing interest (if they hear you and come investigate, you can hide and stay still hoping they decide it was nothing and go away).

This is a whole additional gameplay experience that is amazing and super-immersive and seemingly not-hard to implement. 

The things this could open up in an open world game are amazing.  

On a scale of 1-to-10 the "sneak" skill in EQ was probably about a 3 in importance and implementation.  In Thief: The Dark Project, it was a solid 10 and it was an amazing experience.

I'd really love to see the whole stealth aspect of this in Pantheon.

This post was edited by fazool at May 29, 2018 9:55 AM PDT
    • 62 posts
    May 29, 2018 6:54 AM PDT

OH! Or not just starting zones for each different race, but different starting locations within that zone depending on what kind of class you are.  Warriors should start in the warrior guild, druids in the druid guild, wizards in the wizard's guild, and they should be spread out around their starting city.  It gives new characters a new area to explore when first starting out.  A reason to see the city in its entirety if they wanna make alts. :)

• 3 posts
    May 29, 2018 7:39 AM PDT

I'm not a big fan of multiple player guilds, but something I'd love to see is multiple guild-like organizations - one adventuring company (the traditional guild), plus access to a professional (class-based) organization (the Wizards' Tower, the Militia for warriors, etc), and an artisan (tradeskill) guild (say, the Carpenters' Union), all with private, organization-only locations, communications, activities, and quests.

Also like the idea of different starting points, based on the character's profession.

• 1404 posts
    May 29, 2018 8:36 AM PDT

Gamerchick said:

1.   A reason for PVPers to come together and be diplomatic.  A common enemy they must face together or be defeated.  The Pvp community has become so toxic because it's always Us VS them.  I want to see developers with a broader horizon than that.  I just want to see players have a reason to be good to eachother again.  I don't actually PVP much but when I do, I always remember why I don't like it.

I don't think it's impossible to add a system in a game to bring what would otherwise be a divided community.  I just think no one has done it yet.  =)

Yes this!

Correct me if I'm wrong Gamerchick but I too would like to see a PVP server where PVP was available but discouraged. A place between PVE and full on PVP. Where players didn't PVP until that one a$$ griefer came along that really need it!

If you attack a player you would take a Racial as well as a Class Faction hit at the very least. There could be a general player faction as well... somebody that went around killing indiscriminately would gain negative player faction and be KOS to players giving a +1 player faction to anyone who killed them... if they are in +player faction then you would take a hit if you attacked them. Something like that... discouraged but available pvp.