Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Camping Skill

• 6 posts
    May 26, 2018 5:22 AM PDT

I think it would be amazing to have certain classes (Ranger, Druid, Shaman?) be able to build a campfire that buffs nearby characters HP and mana regen that serves as kind of a mobile base.

Other classes could add to this like a healing tent (Cleric), Prayer Altar (Paladin), Meditation Circle (Wizard) that add to these effects.  Bards (eventually) could play music to add certain buffs.  Other adventures could come share your fire to increase comraderie and increase community.  A cooking pot?  Pipe smoking? Creating a bit of peace amoung choas, a respite from battle.

Would be so cool to sit and chat around a virtual fire, discussing your last battle.

Choose the wrong location for your camp and attract the attention of wandering mobs!

• 162 posts
    May 26, 2018 5:55 AM PDT

Thomm said:

Choose the wrong location for your camp and attract the attention of wandering mobs!

That would be fun to use as a puller as well.

Also, could have a different effect on other types of enemies, some it drags in, some it keeps away.

• 1479 posts
    May 26, 2018 6:27 AM PDT

I'm all in for a possibility to set up small camps like a few tents and a campfire and just chill for roleplay. Buffs are a nice idea but they aren't necessary to me. 

I know they have planned for outposts somehow, but I would like to push it further up to the point you could settle a small camp that would last as long as you remai  around/logged arounf until you just pack your tent, water your campfire and get away adventuring.

• 1785 posts
    May 26, 2018 9:28 AM PDT

I'm onboard with this idea in general.  I think rather than making it class-based, I'd love to see SWG-style "camp kits" that are crafted and purchased and then used as consumables to make camps.  Basic camp kits might net you just a campfire, while more expensive camp kits might include some of the other things.

• 1120 posts
    May 26, 2018 11:24 AM PDT

Im confused by this idea.  I would not like to see it implemented if it provided even a small stat boost.  But for something akin to just sitting around roleplaying i would be interested.

Or, make it a very high requirement from various tradeskills to actually "craft" the fire strong enough to provide a benefit.  So that its not something that is extremely prevalent

• 76 posts
    May 26, 2018 1:36 PM PDT

I... Actually don’t mind this. As long as if there is anyone in the party that gets involved in combat the “campfire” gets extinguished. 

I would rather see this as a one use crafted item though rather than a skill.

But seems like an interesting concept.

• 1785 posts
    May 26, 2018 2:39 PM PDT

I think, here is how I would do it, statwise.  For those that played SWG, this should seem familiar :)

Disclaimer:  All numbers below are made up and completely theoretical

Camp Kits

- Crafted consumable items

- When used, spawns a set of props (campfires, tents, etc)

- Last 30 minutes when used, or until owning party members leave the vicinity

- Only usable outdoors (not in dungeons)

Tier 1 (Small Campfire)

- Just a small campfire

- +2 hp/mana per tick out of combat while in proximity

Tier 2 (Large Campfire)

- Larger campfire with some cooking implements

- +2 hp/mana per tick out of combat while in proximity

- Allows provisioner crafting

Tier 3 (Small Campsite)

- Larger campfire with a table and a small tent

- +4 hp/mana per tick out of combat while in proximity

Tier 4 (Medium Campsite)

- Larger campfire with a table, some chairs, and a couple of tents

- +4 hp/mana per tick out of combat while in proximity

- Enables caravan functionality if you log out at the campsite

Tier 5 (Large Campsite)

- Larger campfire with several tents and assorted furniture

- +6 hp/mana per tick out of combat while in proximity

- Enables caravan functionality if you log out at the campsite

Anything bigger or more feature-rich feels like it should be a semi-permanent outpost.

This post was edited by Nephele at May 26, 2018 2:40 PM PDT
    • 780 posts
    May 27, 2018 7:34 AM PDT

We’ve had a few campfire discussions here.  There was one idea for a dynamic campfire that I thought was really cool.  I’ve been sorting through pages of campfire search results, but I just can’t find it.  It was something like this:

Any player can start a campfire anywhere outside.  I believe this required the player to have some wood and a tinderbox (Or something similar).  I can’t remember if resting by the fire granted any bonuses to HP or Mana regeneration, but I think a +1 to each would be okay.  The fire would burn for a certain length of time before it started to die.  Any player could collect wood and tend the fire.  If the fire was maintained for enough time, it would attract a vendor.  The vendor would tend the fire and would stay as long as enough people came to buy and sell from him.  Once the vendor left, the fire would need to be tended by players again or it would go out.  I believe the camp would continue to grow as long as enough business came through.

I’m sure that’s not terribly accurate, but hopefully someone can link to the actual idea.  I thought it was pretty decent.

• 15 posts
    May 27, 2018 9:54 AM PDT

This is a good idea.  However, if it's going to be used for regeneration/stat boosts, then there should also be a time limit and a cool down time period for the use.  No longer than 40 minutes live game time, and cannot reuse, for a 4 hour period for the creator and ALL beneficeries....(that way you can't just have people doing a camp setup every 40 minutes to keep it going continuously.)

• 6 posts
    May 30, 2018 8:58 AM PDT

Itchies500 said:

This is a good idea.  However, if it's going to be used for regeneration/stat boosts, then there should also be a time limit and a cool down time period for the use.  No longer than 40 minutes live game time, and cannot reuse, for a 4 hour period for the creator and ALL beneficeries....(that way you can't just have people doing a camp setup every 40 minutes to keep it going continuously.)

I'm not sure this is necessary.  For roleplay purposes, you can keep a fire going indefintly as long as you feed it (costing wood) and soon after the players leave the area, it goes out as no one is attending the fire.

Might be kind of cool to stumble upon the embers of a past groups camp and be able to re-kindle it without having to use a tinderbox, promoting cross group play.  The thing is that players probably won't stay in one location for long, and probably build camps only when they reach a place and need to rest before moving on.  You can make the cost of the resources to build heavy enough to keep it from being abused, but I like the inherent strategy of "reach spot x and build a camp and rest to full before moving on".  Obviouly there would need to be a safe place on the map to set up camp as well.  Remote enough from spawn points to make sense.  Defintly promotes social and roleplay aspects.

Some of my fondest memories of games like Dragon Age Origin were sitting around the campfire with my NPC party chatting with them and that was single player!

I just have this fun feeling of our party sitting around the fire, pipe smoking, sharing food and drink, and discussing our tactics going forward, while the ever watchful Ranger of the party stands post looking out for wandering mobs!

• 644 posts
    May 30, 2018 10:03 AM PDT

EQ1 had this

• 2886 posts
    May 30, 2018 10:58 AM PDT

Check out the good discussion we had with Brad about this here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2092/rest-area/view/post_id/36759

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 30, 2018 10:59 AM PDT
    • 578 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:31 AM PDT

Shucklighter said:

We’ve had a few campfire discussions here.  There was one idea for a dynamic campfire that I thought was really cool.  I’ve been sorting through pages of campfire search results, but I just can’t find it.  It was something like this:

Any player can start a campfire anywhere outside.  I believe this required the player to have some wood and a tinderbox (Or something similar).  I can’t remember if resting by the fire granted any bonuses to HP or Mana regeneration, but I think a +1 to each would be okay.  The fire would burn for a certain length of time before it started to die.  Any player could collect wood and tend the fire.  If the fire was maintained for enough time, it would attract a vendor.  The vendor would tend the fire and would stay as long as enough people came to buy and sell from him.  Once the vendor left, the fire would need to be tended by players again or it would go out.  I believe the camp would continue to grow as long as enough business came through.

I’m sure that’s not terribly accurate, but hopefully someone can link to the actual idea.  I thought it was pretty decent.

When beta testing VG this was something we talked about at length...

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/8108/how-open-is-your-mind/view/post_id/155718

Reads...

"

A concept we mulled over back in VGs beta was 'campsites'. Players could obtain the ability to start a magical campfire in the world (with obvious restrictions because they're magical duh ;). Any player in the area could sit down and enjoy this magical campfire. Cooking food and/or drink would give small benefits to said item. Simply sitting down and enjoying the warmth of the fire could replenish some health. Plus it would allow players to take a small break from their travels and adventures in the middle of some forest or some ruins or etc with the possibility of maybe meeting a few other wary travelers to enjoy a good spat. In general, simple small benefits could be gained by huddling around the fire.

But there could be a bigger picture. A campfire has to be properly fed to keep it burning. If a magical campfire is placed in an area with light traffic, too many monsters, or just poor conditions it could provide its small benefits but then quickly burn out. But if set in the right place at the right time with the right conditions the campfire could be used by many people, could be frequented often, and could not only be sustained but could grow quite sizeable. The more people who visit and the more people who feed the fire the bigger the campfire could get thus changing a magical campfire into a magical campsite.

A campsite could give interesting results. The obvious would be bigger/better benefits such as increasing the boost you get from food/drink/HPreplenishment/etc. But with the increased and continued traffic from players the campsite could also gain the attention of local NPC vendors and traders, allowing people to dump vendor trash or purchase goods instead of having to travel all the way to a town. It could attract wildlife searching for scraps left by the fire's temporary inhabitants, allowing players to hunt for resources. It could signal players new to the zone a possible safe haven in the middle of nowhere. Or any other possibly myriad of benefits and boons.

But it wouldn't come without its responsibilities and detriments. To become a campsite it would require plenty of visitors and plenty of people feeding the fire. Monsters and mobs in the local area would likely come to snuff out the visitors and flames so players would have to defend the site. Once a campsite it could possibly slow the reproduction of resource nodes in its vicinity from the likely over-use of players harvesting while hanging out. Etc etc. And once the players outgrow the area and stop visiting, the vendors would pack up shop due to the drop in activity. The flames would grow cold and die out. And the once busy little campsite would become a charred ruin left on the world so players old and new could venture by and see that at one point in the game's life this area was a tiny oasis for the community.

"

This post was edited by NoobieDoo at May 30, 2018 11:36 AM PDT
    • 752 posts
    May 30, 2018 2:38 PM PDT

I do appreciate the idea of waystations or rest areas. But they don't need to have magical benefits. Just having less mobs in the area is going to allow you to med up faster.

• 6 posts
    May 30, 2018 6:10 PM PDT

kreed99 said:

I do appreciate the idea of waystations or rest areas. But they don't need to have magical benefits. Just having less mobs in the area is going to allow you to med up faster.

I'd counter that a campfire wouldn't mean less mobs, as some might even be tempted to investigate, (increasing their aggro range.)

Also campfires don't need to be magical...just imagine the psychological benefits of a nice quiet campfire, well guarded, whilst surrounded by your comrades.  Pipe smoke, dried meats and cheese, maybe a bit of ale, good stories and good friends.  Less stress will intrinsically impart benefits to the mind (regen mana) and body (regen HP).

I don't like the idea of developer pre-created camp points (too artificial).  Let the players learn and decide where the best camp spots are.  Makes an experienced ranger or guide a commodity.  Maybe even worth paying gold for!  This is true to real life where pioneers found safe routes through dangerous territorty then others paid for their services.

I can imagine so many cool concepts around this. 

You could choose one of multiple "stances" when camping with variable risk/reward, for example.

Nap (Highest HP/Mana regen but if attacked completley vulnerable)

Revel (High HP Regen / No Mana Regen but Innebriated Debuff if attacked..maybe costs some ale...the warriors typical choice lol)

Meditate (High Mana Regen No HP Regen)

On Guard (No Regen buff but Standing Guard and able to wake napping players)

Socialize (Medium HP and Mana Regen)

So you have to determine who as a group gets to nap and who has to stand guard.

So many possibilities!  Fun Fun Fun! (Sometimes I wished I had been a game developer...)

Also thank you all for the other links on this topic.

• 752 posts
    May 31, 2018 12:34 PM PDT

Ahh. I see more of what you are after. I don't see HP/Mana taking all "that" long to generate. But i can see the benefit of having the cleric "nap" while the rest just hangs out. I would like to see some sort of mechanic that regenerates your mana while you are camped out of the game for an extended period of time. But this might possibly be something that could be exploited.

I think there will be natural obstacles that will prompt players to naturally set up or rest in certain areas. These will be either happenstance or planned waystations. Say just outside of an Environment or Climate area or at a zoneline or just in front/after a steep climb or before a boss fight area. I do recall they had a waystation created in Amberfaet that they were hesitant to explain what it was for after quite a steep climb. So me'thinks they have a plan regarding specific dungeons where we might naturally want to take a breath and view the scenery. Which would be perfect spots to utilize these sort of campfires. It all comes down to the zone creators as to how they want to plan out natural rest/camp spots. Some zones you just dungeon crawl and rest while the mobs are down until you reach mobs that are too high of level to defeat. Others you might have specific alcoves. Some you might just stick yourself in a corner and hope for the best.

I am more inclined to want a familiar or pet style buff/regen mechanic over this style of campfire suggestion. But i don't want to detract from this conversation. It's an interesting idea and sorry if i lost track of the OP - i was clicking links and looking through so many different versions of theories.

• 187 posts
    May 31, 2018 12:38 PM PDT

I had a similar idea before I better understood Iconic Abilities for the Ranger in this thread.

Iconic Ability: Campfire.

The campfire would serve as a generator point for a unique beneficial "atmosphere" tapping into the same atmosphere mechanic used by the magical shards at the end of the first twitch stream. The campfire would create an atmosphere that would radially generate the following properties:
    1) Fire Forged - Bonus to Endure Cold and negates cold based debuffs generated by detrimental atmospheres or environments.
    2) Red Mana Source - Equip those red mana relics you casters - this Ranger has got your back.
    3) Soothing Warmth - Minor health regen. Ah, FeelsGoodMan.
    4) Coziness - Meditation bonus. Who doesn't like to snuggle up next to a fire and read?
    5) Illumination - Self explanatory.

No adventuring group would be complete without a Ranger and a unique mana color dependency could be created. Also, stumbling upon a Ranger's old flickering campfire in the wild could be a life saving event.

This ability would satisfy many of Pantheon's tenants and incorporate numerous Pantheon differences: fighting off the darkness and enduring the cold, harsh environment, bringing people together by providing a venue for downtime socializing, generating its own environment through the atmosphere mechanic, and introducing a new interclass dependency by producing colored mana. I think this fits the Pantheon Ranger's role really well.

• 769 posts
    May 31, 2018 1:24 PM PDT

Ever since the original discussions on the "Campfire idea", I've thought it was a great concept. There are, however, areas that need some consideration. As has been mentioned, this could lead to some shenanigans. 

I propose that, while campfires may confer benefits while you're in the circle of the campfire, you should also not receive XP or loot from any mob you kill while inside that radius of the fire. 

• 752 posts
    May 31, 2018 1:27 PM PDT

I think the idea of being able to utilize this feature for just the light source aspect in those dark dungeons would be a benefit in and of itself.

• 287 posts
    May 31, 2018 5:32 PM PDT

I would expect that some time after the game goes live there would be permanent campsites right outside dungeons and raid zones.  I can't decide whether that's a bad thing...

• 1479 posts
    May 31, 2018 11:20 PM PDT

The whole post has gone quite far into specific mechanics designed to take advantage of a set up camp by getting some sort of benefit out of it.

While I appreciate the efforts put in it, I'm not sure it's really necessary to make it more than a visual tent or campfire of some sort.

For thoses who remember UO, setting up a camp with a bedroll was a way to benefit from an instant disconnection instead of a slow one or one that left your character present for some time. Seems a fair convenience to me by itself.

• 844 posts
    June 1, 2018 1:39 AM PDT

We already had this functionality. rip Vanguard.

It was called Diplomacy, and you would turn on some very nice buffs that affected all players in the area, and even in at least two dungeons.

Players would port from region to region just to stack up all the buffs before raiding.

It was a very cool feature which had a way of involving lots of players tangentially.

• 217 posts
    June 1, 2018 5:30 AM PDT

Not a fan of this concept.  Just seems like an attempt to make the game easier.  Just my 2 cp.

• 346 posts
    June 2, 2018 11:06 AM PDT

I read this as a skill line that allowed you to camp out of the game quicker. As skill increased, the 30 second timer was reduced. I certainly like your idea more but even with that said, it does seem as a method to make the game less punishing and should be reigned in to balance for something a single respective class can bring to a group.

• 2756 posts
    June 2, 2018 6:03 PM PDT

It's no different than casters casting group regen or buff spells.  Yeah, why not open that kind of thing up to other classes and different methods?