Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Multiple Atmospheres simultaneously?

• 844 posts
    May 11, 2018 1:02 PM PDT

I have not seen this addressed, and it may be too early to have an answer, but has it been stated if players could experience multiple atmospheric effects at the same time?

Meaning a zone with a cold atmosphere that also has tornadoes and thunderstorms?

Does anyone recall hearing this talked about?

• 2886 posts
    May 11, 2018 1:38 PM PDT

I think it's important to define specific terms here. In Pantheon, "Atmospheres" refer to magic-based effects that act as kind of a static AoE, such as a mana-draining effect radiating from a crystal. "Climates" are more natural effects: Scorching, Frigid, Anaerobic, Windshear, Toxic, and Pressure. Weather, such as thunderstorms, is technically yet another different system on top of that. If you're referring to Climates, yes, it is possible that, for example, at the top of a mountain, you could experience both Frigid and Windshear climates simultaneously. And conversely, the bottom of an ocean could possibly be both Anaerobic and Pressure climates. I'm sure there'll be more details to come though.

In the meantime, here's a clip you might find interesting: 00:35:03 - Climates vs. Atmospheres

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 11, 2018 1:39 PM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    May 11, 2018 1:39 PM PDT

I believe we have seen this featured (to some degree) in Amberfaet.  It appears to be a cold zone that also has a magma forge of some sort that would most certainly be generating a high level of heat.  Beyond that, atmospheres/climates were touched on here:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/240178335?t=35m03s

Quote from Joppa:

"We have extreme climates and atmospheres and they're similar in that they are both environments in the game that have pretty dramatic effects on players.  Extreme climates will be a natural phenomena, like 'frigid, toxic, scorching'  --  things like that, whereas atmospheres are more of your unnatural phenomenon ... things that you would find in a fantasy world and so darkness is one, with that you would almost think of as super natural darkness or darkness that goes beyond the natural.  Whether we would have entire environments or whole zones like that I don't know ... but certainly there will be pockets where you will enter an atmosphere of complete blackness and maybe the torch and the range of the torch lighting is all you have, it could be that torches are rendered ineffective in those environments so you're going to be more focused on sound queues or other things that we aren't quite ready to share yet."

This post was edited by oneADseven at May 11, 2018 1:40 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    May 11, 2018 1:44 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

I believe we have seen this featured (to some degree) in Amberfaet.  It appears to be a cold zone that also has a magma forge of some sort that would most certainly be generating a high level of heat.

Indeed, but my understanding is that while you're under the effects of the Scorching climate, it essentially cancels out the Frigid climate, so you aren't really under the effects of two at the same time, and it is instead just multiple climates within the same zone. I do think though that the bridge to Khagan's Solitude in Amberfaet is affected by both a Frigid and a Windshear climate.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 11, 2018 1:45 PM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    May 11, 2018 1:49 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

oneADseven said:

I believe we have seen this featured (to some degree) in Amberfaet.  It appears to be a cold zone that also has a magma forge of some sort that would most certainly be generating a high level of heat.

Indeed, but my understanding is that while you're under the effects of the Scorching climate, it essentially cancels out the Frigid climate, so you aren't really under the effects of two at the same time, and it is instead just multiple climates within the same zone. I do think though that the bridge to Khagan's Solitude in Amberfaet is affected by both a Frigid and a Windshear climate.

I see.  I was thinking the zone would have the frigid climate but the forge itself would actually be generating a heated atmosphere where you could potentially experience both, but what you are saying definitely makes sense if they are indeed separate climate effects.  My opinion is based on the idea of the climate being naturally cold but the forge being more of an unnatural phenomena that could potentially produce an atmosphere.

• 2886 posts
    May 11, 2018 2:05 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Bazgrim said:

oneADseven said:

I see.  I was thinking the zone would have the frigid climate but the forge itself would actually be generating a heated atmosphere where you could potentially experience both, but what you are saying definitely makes sense if they are indeed separate climate effects.  My opinion is based on the idea of the climate being naturally cold but the forge being more of an unnatural phenomena that could potentially produce an atmosphere.

Ah I suppose that is possible too. I'd hafta rewatch the stream, but I'm pretty sure Joppa said the forge was surrounded by a Scorching climate, generated by the natural flames of the forge.

• 1479 posts
    May 11, 2018 2:14 PM PDT

I guess atmospheres and climates could stack, but maybe not two of the same.

Like Gloomy chilling area, but not charged scorching, or something in that tone.

• 844 posts
    May 11, 2018 2:27 PM PDT

Frankly I just want to see how they pull off anti-gravity.

• 752 posts
    May 11, 2018 8:02 PM PDT

Ya it was in the Cohh Carnage 3 part stream where they went from wilds end to amberfaet. The cold zone area had a extreme heat atmosphere planned. And boss mobs had the ability to generate atmospheres. And they died a bunch to that crazy atmosephere that they needed the quested ring for. So you could have many different combo’s of atmospheres to figure out. You might need a high level acclimation or multiple small ones to enter a zone. But to beat the boss you might need to use another acclimation or a piece of equipment that has it attuned. This would be why higher level acclimations would help you. You could have the ability to resist multiple atmospheres. Very ingenious idea.

Edit: they followed up on this in the monk gameplay vod. They specifically stated there will be multiple atmospheres like lava would be heat and anarobic. Underwater would be anarobic and pressure.

This post was edited by kreed99 at May 11, 2018 8:07 PM PDT
    • 752 posts
    May 11, 2018 8:13 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Frankly I just want to see how they pull off anti-gravity.

They made mention of a floor that would disappear unless you had an acclimation to counter this. So think of like a magic path that doesnt exist unless you acclimate to the specific “anti gravity”. So not so much like floating around in outerspace, but being able to bypass a magical trap

• 844 posts
    May 11, 2018 8:55 PM PDT

Sounds similiar to Plane of Mischief where there was a transparent bridge. Step off and die.

• 844 posts
    May 11, 2018 8:57 PM PDT

kreed99 said:

Ya it was in the Cohh Carnage 3 part stream where they went from wilds end to amberfaet. The cold zone area had a extreme heat atmosphere planned. And boss mobs had the ability to generate atmospheres. And they died a bunch to that crazy atmosephere that they needed the quested ring for. So you could have many different combo’s of atmospheres to figure out. You might need a high level acclimation or multiple small ones to enter a zone. But to beat the boss you might need to use another acclimation or a piece of equipment that has it attuned. This would be why higher level acclimations would help you. You could have the ability to resist multiple atmospheres. Very ingenious idea.

Edit: they followed up on this in the monk gameplay vod. They specifically stated there will be multiple atmospheres like lava would be heat and anarobic. Underwater would be anarobic and pressure.

I did watch that sequence a couple times.

But I though the heat area was specific to that "Anvil" for some high-end crafting use.

Atmospheres, climates, high-end crafting in gnarly zones. It already sounds like non-stop corpse runs.

• 38 posts
    May 11, 2018 9:08 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Atmospheres, climates, high-end crafting in gnarly zones. It already sounds like non-stop corpse runs.

Amen, brother! 

• 1281 posts
    May 12, 2018 8:10 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

kreed99 said:

I did watch that sequence a couple times.

But I though the heat area was specific to that "Anvil" for some high-end crafting use.

Sounds like............

Fun.

• 752 posts
    May 12, 2018 11:15 PM PDT

Just the jumping and climbing will cause untold deaths. This game is not for the faint of heart or for those that do not wish for a challenge. This game will be brutal. Yet it will be sooooo much fun!

• 844 posts
    May 13, 2018 1:02 AM PDT

kreed99 said:

Just the jumping and climbing will cause untold deaths. This game is not for the faint of heart or for those that do not wish for a challenge. This game will be brutal. Yet it will be sooooo much fun!

The parkour is just a direct ripoff of what guildwars has? If I'm not mixing up my MMO's. And frankly I found it tedious, very tedious. It's one of the first things I found I am not going to care for. I'm already on the fence with these atmospheres and climates on steroids.

• 1479 posts
    May 13, 2018 3:54 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

kreed99 said:

The parkour is just a direct ripoff of what guildwars has? If I'm not mixing up my MMO's. And frankly I found it tedious, very tedious. It's one of the first things I found I am not going to care for. I'm already on the fence with these atmospheres and climates on steroids.

GW2 parkour was kind of lame, as you had to jump from lamps to lamps for a fictive reward (yet a chest, that had nothing to do here).

As we have seen in some previous stream, in pantheon, vertical exploration is more tied to climbing and ledge grabbing. I don't think it will be a ripoff of whatever puzzle jumping other games made.

• 844 posts
    May 13, 2018 7:33 AM PDT

I hope you are right @MauvaisOeil

• 1281 posts
    May 13, 2018 10:28 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

zewtastic said:

kreed99 said:

GW2 parkour was kind of lame, as you had to jump from lamps to lamps for a fictive reward (yet a chest, that had nothing to do here).

As we have seen in some previous stream, in pantheon, vertical exploration is more tied to climbing and ledge grabbing. I don't think it will be a ripoff of whatever puzzle jumping other games made.

What they specifically talked abouty, in multiple streams, is that climbing will be for dungeon verticality.

• 844 posts
    May 13, 2018 3:11 PM PDT

The climbing is fine, but jumping to a ledge that has only a 1pixel handhold point will get old fast.

If you played GW2 then you would understand. And one of the design guys seems to be picking ideas from playing GW2 which I find somewhat scary.

This post was edited by zewtastic at May 13, 2018 3:12 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    May 13, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

The climbing is fine, but jumping to a ledge that has only a 1pixel handhold point will get old fast.

If you played GW2 then you would understand. And one of the design guys seems to be picking ideas from playing GW2 which I find somewhat scary.

I don''t mind having to do that from time to time.  I don't like my game being handed to me on a silver platter.  I'd prefer that they err on the side of "realism" when it comes to cliff faces and climbing.

• 3237 posts
    May 13, 2018 4:47 PM PDT

I have always wanted a little Tomb Raider type gameplay in my MMO.  Bring on the treacherous jumps ... I feel it adds value to exploration/adventure.

This post was edited by oneADseven at May 13, 2018 4:47 PM PDT