Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Race/Class Distinction

• 1019 posts
    April 30, 2018 11:52 AM PDT

Will a human monk, have the same combat animations as a Dwarf monk?  (Not sure if dwarf monk is allowed, but I think you get my point)

Or will a human warrior have the same animations as a human monk?

Or (and I hope this is the case)  Will a human monk, look and act different from a human warrior, who both look and act different from a archai monk, who looks and acts different from a archai warrior. 

I'd like to see a human monk have a flying roundhouse animation.  But that animation is soley the human monks.  A Archai monk can have a barrel roll animation, but that animation is soley the Archai monks.

A Dark Myr ranger, has a bow flip/arrow notch animation while that no other race/class combo has.  A dark Myr rouge has a leaping 360 duel hand stab animation that no other race/class combo has.

What I'm hoping is avoided is that a monk looks like every other monk just in different skin.  And I'm hoping every human doesn't have the same animation just wielding a different weapon.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Kittik at April 30, 2018 11:53 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    April 30, 2018 12:08 PM PDT

I care little about thoses, weapon attacks are made in certain angles and amplitude because they are more effective this way, whatever your size is, whatever your race is. There is little logic about making a certain attack different on two different races as it's meant to be as much efficient.

And too much work in animation, can easily be poorly designer time spent. (FFXIV is a good example of this)

• 3852 posts
    April 30, 2018 12:13 PM PDT

Different animations would be a plus, but a fairly *small* plus. 

It would almost surely take up far more time than it was worth - time that could productively be spent on larger plusses.

Worse - it might add to the load on the game and thus increase lag (but I speak from ignorance perhaps it would not).

• 209 posts
    April 30, 2018 3:18 PM PDT

I imagine a monk would have some monk-specific animations just because they will use moves no other class uses. I remember in WoW how different races would stand differently in combat, hold weapons differently, etc, even though the attacks and abilities were identical in effect. Something like that would certainly be cool, but I'm not sure how it would read in a realistic game like Pantheon vs. a more cartoony game like WoW. I trust the devs to strike a good balance.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at April 30, 2018 3:19 PM PDT
    • 769 posts
    May 1, 2018 11:03 AM PDT

Aye - it would be nice, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaay low on my list of wants for Pantheon. As someone said above, the angles and effectiveness of certain strikes is objectively better than others. 

For example, to get a good punch, you turn your hips, rotate your torso and throw out with your shoulder. It would make no sense for a human monk to follow such an objectively better technique, and yet have an archi monk do some crazy and impractical haymaker just for the sake of making them "feel" different. And that same principal goes with most attacks, whether it be hand to hand or with a weapon. 

Not to mention the impact it would probably have on the graphics and the Dev time to implement such changes on every single race/class combo. 

As I said, it would be nice from an aesthetic standpoint, but that's about it.