Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

My son wants to build his own pc... help?

• 25 posts
    April 17, 2018 7:18 AM PDT

It's been years since I've built a gaming pc (think 99 when I started EQ...) and I can't remember which websites I used to get all my gear from.  

Now my son, who is 12, wants to build his own PC and is pretty excited about Pantheon.  I've only really gamed on laptops for a while now so I have no real good idea about where to go for this stuff.  I know there are a million and one vendors out there now but I really want him to do the research and spec it all out so we can order the parts and have them shipped to the house so we can build it together.

Any help on which websites could work best for him (and I) would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want someone to assemble it for us but I would like to ensure that we don't get components that won't gel with each other.

Thanks guys!

-Iniqy

• 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 7:49 AM PDT

I really don't know how the moderators feel about linking websites on their forums...even if they aren't for other games, but I had difficulty building my computer and ended up buying a prebuilt one...for like $2000 because graphics cards are insane right now. I also wanted VR, so if your son isn't into VR then you should be fine lol. Anyways, most of the crypto miners go for 1060 graphics cards and higher, so the 1050 graphics cards are still very good priced. Don't buy any of the cheap used ones on Amazon, because I guarantee you those ones have been through an intensive work out mining and won't last very long.

If you have a microcenter near you their site has the best prices on almost everything...except graphics cards. If you want very good prices for graphics cards and other pieces also you can go to the newegg website. They usually have some nice prices. Also, there is slickdeals, which is a site where your can snipe good deals on for anything really. You can find coupons and people could find good deals on those. So in total, I would recommend the sites newegg, microcenter, and slickdeals. I don't really know of a good way of learning what is compatible or not, but if you have a microcenter the employees are usually more than happy to teach your son.

Good luck building the graphics cards are kind of insane priced, but to play games like pantheon and 1050 or 1050ti should be pretty good for it.

Edit: Changed 1950 and 1950ti to 1050 and 1050 ti because I am at work and wasn't thinking for some reason lol.

This post was edited by Watemper at April 17, 2018 1:21 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    April 17, 2018 8:19 AM PDT

Watemper said:

1950 or 1950ti should be pretty good for it.

these arent even a thing... dont listen to this guy..

• 1315 posts
    April 17, 2018 8:27 AM PDT

I am waiting till this fall to build when nvidia and amd are launching their new cards. These are supposed to be less attractive for mining and the new bit rates are 4 to 10 times what the current ones are. I'm hoping that between the parts coming from new factory investments and the older models still being made the total supply will be higher and the price will come down. I still use newegg and tomshardware to design and vet my pc builds.

This post was edited by Trasak at April 17, 2018 8:30 AM PDT
    • 139 posts
    April 17, 2018 8:29 AM PDT

There are so many variations it all depends on what is affordable compared to how good it should be. 

Make sure. 

• The ram ddr fits the motherboard
    • the cpu pins fits the motherboard
    • the motherbaord sata is high enough for the hard drive.
    • the gpu/s pins fits the motherboard and it fits the case
    • the motherbaord fits the case.
    • the hdd or ssd fits the motherboard and case. 
    • There enough cable types in the power supply to fit everything and it has enough watts.
    • Case USB ports and audio fit the motherboard?
    • erm.. probably missed loads of other stuff. Keep researching. :)

What about..

• Water cooling?
    • sound cards?
    • monitors?
    • Bru ray/Rewriter?
    • operating system?

I always buy from scan.co.uk but thats uk. Don't buy second hand parts. 

• 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 8:50 AM PDT

bandit said:

Watemper said:

Edit: Yea sorry lol, I do know what I am talking about, just a typo.

This post was edited by Watemper at April 17, 2018 11:02 AM PDT
    • 399 posts
    April 17, 2018 8:51 AM PDT

I found that PCPartPicker website is the way to go.  Here you can build your own computer from scratch or choose a pre-built one and make changes to it.  It has parts from many different sources which are updated daily.  Before you decided on a final build however, post it and let people comment on it. good luck.

• 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 9:07 AM PDT

Trasak said:

I am waiting till this fall to build when nvidia and amd are launching their new cards. These are supposed to be less attractive for mining and the new bit rates are 4 to 10 times what the current ones are. I'm hoping that between the parts coming from new factory investments and the older models still being made the total supply will be higher and the price will come down. I still use newegg and tomshardware to design and vet my pc builds.

I am not quite sure how those will turn out. I ended up with a 1080ti in my prebuilt with an i8. So I got lucky. I know the recent new ones I heard about, like the volta, are going to be coming in at around $3000. So I won't be touching those for while.

• 1315 posts
    April 17, 2018 9:42 AM PDT

Watemper said:

Trasak said:

I am not quite sure how those will turn out. I ended up with a 1080ti in my prebuilt with an i8. So I got lucky. I know the recent new ones I heard about, like the volta, are going to be coming in at around $3000. So I won't be touching those for while.

Radeon RXs are built on Vega core and have the high bit rate.  Before the miners got their hands on them they were targeted for 280 to 450.  Nvidia is releasing their own HBM cards in addition to the Volta.  Now what actually makes it to the market and if the price stays at or below msrp is anyone's guess

• 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 10:00 AM PDT

Trasak said:

Watemper said:

Trasak said:

Radeon RXs are built on Vega core and have the high bit rate.  Before the miners got their hands on them they were targeted for 280 to 450.  Nvidia is releasing their own HBM cards in addition to the Volta.  Now what actually makes it to the market and if the price stays at or below msrp is anyone's guess

Yea I know, I just didn't see much detail on them other than they are trying to dissuade the crypto miners from grabbing them. I am not quite sure what will be different in these that will make them undesirable, without hindering game performance. But guess I will see whenever they come out. 

• 115 posts
    April 17, 2018 10:08 AM PDT

Watemper said:

bandit said:

Watemper said:

Apparently you don't know what a gtx 1950 or gtx 1950 ti are then...

Did you mean.....

GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti

This post was edited by Bonechip at April 17, 2018 10:09 AM PDT
    • 172 posts
    April 17, 2018 10:14 AM PDT
    Go to pcpartpicker.com there you can search builds, create builds and save builds and budget. It will let you know if parts are incompatible as well.

However.. with crypto currency mining becoming a thing GPUs are becoming wildly overpriced. If money isn't a concern than go for it. But I'd wait til prices drop until you build if you want something high end
    • 1921 posts
    April 17, 2018 10:58 AM PDT

Here you go.  This will run Pantheon.

Adjust the video card to fit your budget. :)

Seriously, I just built one of these for the son of a friend.  It runs everything he's tried to run.  Does it run everything super duper fast?  No.  but it's cheap, and every part of it is upgradeable.

I bought the keyboard, mouse and monitor at the nearest used computer place for $20 (total).

• 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 11:00 AM PDT

Bonechip said:

Watemper said:

bandit said:

Watemper said:

Apparently you don't know what a gtx 1950 or gtx 1950 ti are then...

Did you mean.....

GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti

Yea I am a moron sorry lol. I am at work and not really paying attention.

This post was edited by Watemper at April 17, 2018 11:03 AM PDT
    • 25 posts
    April 17, 2018 11:05 AM PDT

Thanks a ton guys, after he does his research (on the sites listed above) I'll let you guys know what he's picked out.  He's got a budget he is working with so this should be interesting...

-Ini

• 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 11:28 AM PDT

What's the budget if you don't mind me asking. I like trying to build budget builds.

• 36 posts
    April 17, 2018 11:48 AM PDT

Watemper said:

What's the budget if you don't mind me asking. I like trying to build budget builds.

I'm doing this with my son right now as well, and I'm always open to someone with ideas other than my own.  What would you do with a budget of $600-$800?  Already have keyboard, mouse, headset, and 1 19" monitor.  

When my son and I started looking he thought he was going to get a decent gaming machine for under $500.  Then we looked at video cards, lol.

• 313 posts
    April 17, 2018 12:31 PM PDT

Reddit's build a pc forum is really good.  Tons of helpful people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

This post was edited by zoltar at April 17, 2018 12:31 PM PDT
    • 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 12:34 PM PDT

Yea, the video cards are a little insane right now lol. I really don't know, if your son is wanting to play pantheon, the minimal requirements you need to play lol. But I can see what I can come up with, but your budget might need to increase. I will play around with a build and see.

• 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 12:52 PM PDT

Taldaas said:

Watemper said:

I'm doing this with my son right now as well, and I'm always open to someone with ideas other than my own.  What would you do with a budget of $600-$800?  Already have keyboard, mouse, headset, and 1 19" monitor.  

When my son and I started looking he thought he was going to get a decent gaming machine for under $500.  Then we looked at video cards, lol.

On pcpartpicker the total without mailing rebate I got is 873.11. With its 833.11

Buid:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

MSI - X370 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card

Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Wanted to try and fit a 1050ti graphics card in the build lol. MSI's are pretty decent and cheaper than most. I think you might have to also buy some cheap fans...but should of enough space for the fans and enough space for games. The 1050ti is pretty relevant and can play majority of games. The processor is also pretty decent, but I would go for an i7 in the future if you wanna upgrade it cheaply later on.

Also didn't know if you already have Windows 10 or not, but you would need to add that to the price to.

Anyways, hope this input is benefical.

This post was edited by Watemper at April 17, 2018 12:55 PM PDT
    • 613 posts
    April 17, 2018 12:57 PM PDT

Watemper said:

Taldaas said:

Watemper said:

On pcpartpicker the total without mailing rebate I got is 873.11. With its 833.11

Buid:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

MSI - X370 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card

Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Wanted to try and fit a 1050ti graphics card in the build lol. MSI's are pretty decent and cheaper than most. I think you might have to also buy some cheap fans...but should of enough space for the fans and enough space for games. The 1050ti is pretty relevant and can play majority of games. The processor is also pretty decent, but I would go for an i7 in the future if you wanna upgrade it cheaply later on.

Also didn't know if you already have Windows 10 or not, but you would need to add that to the price to.

Anyways, hope this input is benefical.

From what we have seen so that build would handle the game nicely and not break the bank.  Well Done.

This post was edited by Oxillion at April 17, 2018 12:59 PM PDT
    • 696 posts
    April 17, 2018 1:01 PM PDT

Thanks, I considered the unity engine as not being top of the line graphics like unreal engine, I programmed in both, so I wanted to try and budget a build that would not only hopefully play pantheon, but will last for 3 or 4 years.

This post was edited by Watemper at April 17, 2018 1:02 PM PDT
    • 88 posts
    April 17, 2018 4:21 PM PDT

The post Watemper provided is probably the best you're going to get for such a low entry-level budget.

You might be able to even same some money by going the AMD Ryzen 3 1300x 3.5ghz Quad Core instead of the Ryzen 5 1600 3.2ghz 6 Core.

That extra money might land you a 1060 6gb instead of a 1050 4gb.

But, a better processor will be better for future video card upgrades. Maybe grab a 1070 or better when the prices drop a bit. I would definitely wait to see what happens with the GPU market before committing to investing in a build. Especially considering Pantheon is probably at least a year away yet.

• 2756 posts
    April 18, 2018 12:49 AM PDT

Extra advice: Any chance you could get hold of a 'wrecked' PC and take it apart and put it back together as practice?...

• 116 posts
    April 18, 2018 5:15 AM PDT

My advice?  Unless you are going for a real high end gaming rig, don't build.  In my experience the profit margins on lower end PC's are so low, that you aren't going to save much (maybe a hundred or two at best), and you are giving up a good warranty and technical support on the final product which is hard to put a price on.

Let me give you a case in point.  I built a PC for a friend and the motherboard had a manufacturing flaw that caused the CPU voltage regulator to wildly overclock the CPU randomly of course causing the machine to crash under any kind of load.  After sending back memory, CPU, and graphics card and finally motherboard over the course of a year I was ready to throw the whole thing in the trash and start over.  Yes, my example is an extreme one and really hard to pinpoint that didn't show up during hardware diagnostics, but you get the picture.  Unless you are a technical enthusiast that doesn't mind their own troubleshooting or are building a machine that is expensive enough that has a higher cost savings (like 3k plus types of gaming rigs), then you are wasting your time and money.

I bought a Dell rig 7 years ago for 1200 that I am still using and that still plays current games on mid to high settings.  I've upgraded the RAM once and the video card once, but that's about it.  Not bad for a 1200 machine :)

But if you are really dead set on building.  Try newegg and tiger direct.  Both have bare bones kits and cost saving bundles that will get you started for cheaper and ensure you have compatible components.