Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Attack of Opportunity

This topic has been closed.
    • 1 posts
    April 14, 2018 8:22 PM PDT

Curious to know if any MMO have ever implemented something like Attack of Opportunity from pen and paper RPGs. For those unfamiliar, when moving significantly away from enemy melee characters with the skill to perform an attack of opportunity, they get a free attack on you for disengaging and moving away.

I had thought about it in the context of taunts/tank effectiveness. In all the games I've played, an enemy is basically free to disengage and "hate" a caster or someone else and run from the tank without much penalty. But I feel like attack of opportunity was part of the answer to that in pen and paper. If you just walk away from a melee they get free shots at you. In the context of an MMO, maybe the tank could get an auto critical on an enemy that chooses to disengage onto a squishy. They'd have to move a decent bit away so as not to create some mechanic of just alternating hate between tanks. Maybe only warrior could get the ability or the bonus damage from it to help give them appeal.

Anyway, just something that had occurred to me and thought to share.

• 2756 posts
    April 15, 2018 4:03 AM PDT

logicfiction said:

Curious to know if any MMO have ever implemented something like Attack of Opportunity from pen and paper RPGs. For those unfamiliar, when moving significantly away from enemy melee characters with the skill to perform an attack of opportunity, they get a free attack on you for disengaging and moving away.

I had thought about it in the context of taunts/tank effectiveness. In all the games I've played, an enemy is basically free to disengage and "hate" a caster or someone else and run from the tank without much penalty. But I feel like attack of opportunity was part of the answer to that in pen and paper. If you just walk away from a melee they get free shots at you. In the context of an MMO, maybe the tank could get an auto critical on an enemy that chooses to disengage onto a squishy. They'd have to move a decent bit away so as not to create some mechanic of just alternating hate between tanks. Maybe only warrior could get the ability or the bonus damage from it to help give them appeal.

Anyway, just something that had occurred to me and thought to share.

It would defintely add to the tactics of combat and is a realistic and immersive feature I'd be interested in seeing.  I can imagine it would be tricky to code though.  You couldn't simply use a target change, as Tab targetting would be extremely tricky if you couldn't cycle and move them around without being punished.  If you did it in conjunction with melee range, then you'd have to have a much better idea of what *is* melee range with telegraphs or some other indicator that I think might be unpopular.

I suppose I'm thinking more from a viewpoint of monsters getting attacks of opportunity on characters, though. With monsters, it would be easier, as the game knows clearly when they choose to change target.

It's interesting though. Any ideas on how it might work with players?

This post was edited by disposalist at April 15, 2018 4:04 AM PDT
    • 257 posts
    April 15, 2018 6:58 AM PDT

Vanguard did.

• 44 posts
    April 15, 2018 10:04 AM PDT

I would think that its coded into the backend of many MMOs, although I have no MMOs to give example just single player games mostly.

• 2886 posts
    April 16, 2018 10:35 AM PDT

Check out the existing discussion - it's almost exactly the one year anniversary of this thread lol: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5815/attacks-of-opportunity