Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Perception Triggers (Hand Holding)

• 257 posts
    April 4, 2018 7:20 AM PDT

If you watch the Cohh stream, they repeated several times that many were just placeholders. Their focus was to show the viewers the underlying mechanics of it. What will eventually be there (visual cues, sound cues, etc.) is still under development.

• 613 posts
    April 4, 2018 10:05 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

It's completly different, first of all your "perception" is based on a perception skill, this means if you have low level perception you'll not receive a message, perception also needs to be leveled up to be used effectly and for you to "percept" everything that's going on around you. Also the "percetion" are suposed to be things that stand out and your character noticed them, because they have enough percetion to spot it (just like when the DM roles dice on DnD behind his shield to check if you notice something), that's why it's such an obvious message.

On the other hand quest ! are simply telling you there's a quest there for you to pick up, indepentaly of your "perception" skill and everyone sees the same.

There’s the rub.  How to implement it in a manner that is not emersion breaking and coddles to the “hand holding” statements from the OP.   Skill based abilities is an interesting way to do this.  Level limiting or not being able to go on an adventure unless you’re the correct level.  Having the appropriate skill level and possibly race and class limiting or availability.  Depends on how you look at it. 

The visuals are fine as they are now and obviously that may change as the game progresses.  I think they are taking the right approach with sound, visual and geographic triggers to get us a clue on what we may want to do or not. 

Good discussion though…

Ox

• 769 posts
    April 4, 2018 10:45 AM PDT

Surely some of ya'll played Skyrim, and can recall wandering through Solitude for the first time. Near the front doors to the city, you walk past the Inn (The Winking Skeever?), and past the stairs that lead up to the Blacksmith and the fletcher. Leaning against the wall of the stairs is an Argonian. If you have your sound effects up, you'll here him say something like, "Pssst! Hey, you! Want to know how you can make some money?" in a conspiratorial tone of voice. 

It's not intrusive and in your face. It's subtle, sneaky, and had fun flavor to it - especially if you're a rogue! I think something like that, along with text in a text box, is plenty adequate and doesn't fall under the category of hand-holding. 

I know folks will say that we have enough in the text box already - I agree. They'll also say "well, what if I play with the sound off and don't hear the NPC?", to which I reply that's unfortunate, but where the heck is the line drawn? You don't want text, you don't want sound, so what then do you want? Because it sounds like you don't want Pantheon.

• 3016 posts
    April 4, 2018 11:04 AM PDT

l like the way it is now,  and if you are in a fight..having it in the chat window, would just have it scroll away without you noticing.

And from the looks of it..you practically have to be on top of the trigger before it triggers.     Which means those of us that explore every nook and cranny will find the trigger eventually.    I intend on getting the title that goes with this searching...that means paying attention to the information,  might even be something you can do solo,  as opposed to doing it with a team who wants to exit out of anything that resembles a cut-scene or something you have to READ. :) 

I've seen this too many times over the years,   team is impatient no time to read instructions or clues,  want it handed to them.      If I have to do it solo because of situations like that I will.     I don't suffer from attention deficit disorder or the unwillingness to roleplay a little bit.   Patience required. :)  The only other thing I can think to add to this..is having the ability to have a chat box specifically for perception triggers...if the scroll at the top of your screen is "too much hand holding for some".    That way you can check back in the perception chat box to see if you missed anything,  but its probably not something I would choose..I like being alert and on top of things.

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at April 4, 2018 11:11 AM PDT
    • 316 posts
    April 7, 2018 11:14 PM PDT
    Love your posts, Tralyan. Quite agree.