Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Praise for the spell graphics

• 316 posts
    March 21, 2018 10:28 PM PDT

Hey VR -

I just wanted to say you guys seem to be nailing it as far as spell graphics go! Really, some of the most interesting and satisfying visuals I've seen, even beyond mmos. They convey an awesome balance of power and sublety. So thanks for paying such great attention to those - they're a huge part of the game for me, so I very much appreciate it. Halnir Cave is looking beautiful too - I love the sole fire pots on the floor at corridor intersections, such awesome ambiance. But really, thanks again for doing such an excellent job with the spell graphics! I love the healing graphic - very interesting!

This post was edited by Alexander at March 21, 2018 10:29 PM PDT
    • 470 posts
    March 22, 2018 2:13 AM PDT

Absolutely. I think it was the root animation almost like a webbing I liked the design of as well. I always wanted to see stuff like that almost look like spectral chains that just lock on to the wrists and ankles. I also liked that power shot that burst when it hit the enemy as well as the mez tells. Certainly looking good.

• 2756 posts
    March 22, 2018 4:11 AM PDT

Yes! In some ways I was dreading what they would come up with as modern games seem to want to go flashier and flashier, but those effects looked exactly as I'd hoped, ie. like the iconic EQ effects, but updated.  Mostly monochromatic translucent particle effects.  Fantastic.

• 2886 posts
    March 22, 2018 5:08 AM PDT

Definitely agree - the particle effects are looking great :) And I can only imagine they'll continue to get even better from here!

• 411 posts
    March 22, 2018 6:48 AM PDT

I agree! The vast majority of the graphics have been subtle and beautiful. Well, maybe subtle isn't the right word for a fireball smashing someone in the face, but most of them seem shortlived and attractive without overwhelming the screen. A few of the flowy particle effects and lasers seemed a bit over the top for me, but the majority were great. Good job VR!

• 31 posts
    March 22, 2018 6:51 AM PDT

I think these are on the money and do a pretty good job of showing the state of the target.  The only real critique I have is the mez effect doesn't seem consistently positioned well - something seemed off when players were rotating around the mezzed target.

Was the translucent green lizard effect a shaman dot linked to the green claw debuff icon?

• 115 posts
    March 22, 2018 7:55 AM PDT

I love the spell art so far too. Fantastic visuals.

Do have one suggestion....

• 38 posts
    March 22, 2018 8:22 AM PDT

Yes, I definitely agree with everyone saying the spell animations are looking good. :)

• 74 posts
    March 22, 2018 8:31 AM PDT

Bonechip said:

I think the idea is that the mob is staring at the mental flare and becomes entranced by it. I kind of like this idea as opposed to a status effect depicted on the head.

And while I do like the more simplistic visuals, I do hope the spell effects become more grand at higher levels at least for special spells. They are a bit lackluster/missing, but this may be intended for this level range.

This post was edited by Land at March 22, 2018 8:34 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 22, 2018 10:59 AM PDT

Land said:

Bonechip said:

I think the idea is that the mob is staring at the mental flare and becomes entranced by it. I kind of like this idea as opposed to a status effect depicted on the head.

And while I do like the more simplistic visuals, I do hope the spell effects become more grand at higher levels at least for special spells. They are a bit lackluster/missing, but this may be intended for this level range.

I agree. It seems like the mob is mesmerized by the sparkly thing in front of its face. I think that's a really cool and unique way to do it. But at the same time, I do agree that sometimes it feels like the distance in between the effect and the mobs face is not consistent. But that's a super minor detail and will probably be adjusted as the hitboxes are tweaked. It also could just be an optical illusion based on angle. Either way, I think it's a small testament to how committed the team is to come up with creative ways to make things feel familiar yet different.

• 139 posts
    March 22, 2018 2:16 PM PDT

The visual improvements sure have brought some hope back for me. Landscapes look a bit naff. I hope theres some tricks in place to improve the visuals in that regard.

• 31 posts
    March 23, 2018 9:30 AM PDT

The image sums up what I was saying much better, thanks for adding it!

Mez - apply directly to the forehead.

• 115 posts
    March 23, 2018 10:50 AM PDT

xilith said:

The image sums up what I was saying much better, thanks for adding it!

Mez - apply directly to the forehead.

You bet. :)

And for those not in the know... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE

This post was edited by Bonechip at March 23, 2018 10:51 AM PDT