Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Iconic Abilities

• 3237 posts
    February 14, 2018 7:37 PM PST

What kind of iconic abilities do you think we might see for the classes that haven't been revealed yet, and how do you think players will go about unlocking these abilities?  We have seen monks using their iconic ability "Feign Death" at level 25 on the streams, but will this be consistent between all of the classes?  The description for the cleric iconic ability 'Manifest Pillar' states "High level Clerics can manifest, place and even carry massive Pillar Shields."  Is 25 considered high level, or is it possible that clerics (and other classes) might not be able to unlock their iconic ability until a higher level?  I'm curious whether people think we'll see traditional abilities like Call of the Hero (Summoner), Lay on Hands (Paladin), and Harm Touch (Direlord) or something new.

• 258 posts
    February 14, 2018 9:52 PM PST

One thing I would love to see for the paladin would be an ability whereby activating it allows them to heal the group for a percentage of the damage they deal for 15-20  seconds (or whatever). Maybe with a 10-15 min cooldown or something. (This also heals the paladin.)

For example:
    YOU activate Angelic Fervor.
    YOU deal 60 damage to X.
    YOU heal your group for 20 health.
    YOU deal 75 damage to x.
    YOU heal your group for 25 health.
    Etc...

Stack this with a haste item and haste buff...  :D

• 2756 posts
    February 15, 2018 1:53 AM PST

As I mentioned in the thread on Summoning of players, I would like to see class-defining skills *not* be based in core game mechanics like instant travel.

To me, being able to quickly get somewhere is such a fundamental and huge advantage that just handing it to certain classes is not right.

I would prefer class-defining 'iconic' abilities to not be a single, enormously impactful skill, but more from the flavour of their suite of skills.

In EQ, for example, the Monk 'iconic' ability Feign Death doomed you to constant and often thankless exhaustion.  The Druid 'iconic' abilities, teleportation and Spirit of Wolf was a constant source of income and ease of travel.

Sorry if that seems negative...  Perhaps these skills *could* be kept but be more widely spread to avoid frustrations?

If 'core' abilities were teleport, fast travel, evacuation, sneaking, feigning and heroic opportunity then perhaps in Pantheon each class could have two?: -

Teleport: Wizard (spires), Monk (ley line astral travel), Paladin (port between shrines), Summoner (planar gates)

Fast Travel: Shaman (wolf spirit), Warrior (forced march), Ranger (path finding), Paladin (heroic stamina)

Evacuation/Exfiltration: Summoner (safety exit portal), Cleric (heaven's haven gate), Dire Lord (shadow walk), Rogue (divert and escape)

Sneaking/Hiding: Rogue (hide in shadows), Druid (magic foliage), Ranger (camouflage), Enchanter (illusiary diversion)

Feign Death: Monk (still heart), Dire Lord (death shroud), Druid (tree form), Shaman (join spirits)

Heroic Opportunity: Wizard (spark of inspiration), Warrior (take advantage), Enchanter (create confusion), Cleric (divine intervention)

The allocation might need some shuffling for class interdependency and 'flavour correction' but you get the idea?

Another idea would be to also apply these abilities to the race not the class?  A little more difficult as there are 9 races...

This post was edited by disposalist at February 15, 2018 2:06 AM PST
    • 89 posts
    February 15, 2018 6:13 AM PST

The term Iconic Abilities sort of pigeonholes these things into things that no other class can do, but I agree that they shouldn't end up being the only reason a party would take a particular class

I think if you just gotta have a player summon spell, it should just be a consumable that anyone can pay a lot of money for and use and then make Summoner a really cool class on its own

I really don't think I want a lot of other teleport options, though, if any at all

Maybe there's a mushroom that only grows in a certain cave in a very dangerous area that contains a fast-acting but temporary neurotoxin that could spread the love on pulling, or just make feign death non-iconic and provide other means for anyone to serve in that capacity

IIRC, each class gets two mastery paths, and each one has an iconic ability (Wall and probably a mass heal for Clerics) where only one path/ability can be active at a time

Tanks could get an ability that force taunts everything and another that allows them to absorb all the damage for the team for a bit

CC classes could get mass roots/stuns and another ability that adds some DoT to all of their other skills for a time

I think the other heal classes should also have mass heal and some form of group protection

Maybe DPS classes shouldn't have group utility iconic abilities... Keep those in their normal skills and let their class definers be something that brings the pain in two different ways that could help reinforce whatever their masteries look like

• 780 posts
    February 15, 2018 6:40 AM PST

I wonder if the Pillar Shield is even still in.  It was supposed to be an ability from one of the two paths of the Colored Mana Specialization System for Clerics, and that system seems to have been scratched unfortunately, though I loved the concept.

disposalist said:

If 'core' abilities were teleport, fast travel, evacuation, sneaking, feigning and heroic opportunity then perhaps in Pantheon each class could have two?: -

Teleport: Wizard (spires), Monk (ley line astral travel), Paladin (port between shrines), Summoner (planar gates)

Fast Travel: Shaman (wolf spirit), Warrior (forced march), Ranger (path finding), Paladin (heroic stamina)

Evacuation/Exfiltration: Summoner (safety exit portal), Cleric (heaven's haven gate), Dire Lord (shadow walk), Rogue (divert and escape)

Sneaking/Hiding: Rogue (hide in shadows), Druid (magic foliage), Ranger (camouflage), Enchanter (illusiary diversion)

Feign Death: Monk (still heart), Dire Lord (death shroud), Druid (tree form), Shaman (join spirits)

Heroic Opportunity: Wizard (spark of inspiration), Warrior (take advantage), Enchanter (create confusion), Cleric (divine intervention)

The allocation might need some shuffling for class interdependency and 'flavour correction' but you get the idea?

Another idea would be to also apply these abilities to the race not the class?  A little more difficult as there are 9 races...

I definitely don't want to see anything like this happening.  One of the reasons PRF is so important to me is that they've promised to get away from the whole 'everyone can do everything' motif that's crept into most modern fantasy MMOs.

• 1281 posts
    February 15, 2018 7:00 AM PST

I remember in EQ when they introduced the Beastlord. I was upset because the class was so overpowered and seemed to have every ability in the game (buffs, heals, pet). It could do everything. But I thought "at least they don't have Feign Death"... well we know how long that lasted.

• 2756 posts
    February 15, 2018 7:22 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

I wonder if the Pillar Shield is even still in.  It was supposed to be an ability from one of the two paths of the Colored Mana Specialization System for Clerics, and that system seems to have been scratched unfortunately, though I loved the concept.

disposalist said:

I definitely don't want to see anything like this happening.  One of the reasons PRF is so important to me is that they've promised to get away from the whole 'everyone can do everything' motif that's crept into most modern fantasy MMOs.

I don't want everyone-can-do-everything. I don't want only-they-can-do-that-fundamental-thing either.  There's a middle ground that'd be less frustrating, but still give class interdependency and iconic abilities.

• 151 posts
    February 15, 2018 7:22 AM PST

disposalist said:

As I mentioned in the thread on Summoning of players, I would like to see class-defining skills *not* be based in core game mechanics like instant travel.

To me, being able to quickly get somewhere is such a fundamental and huge advantage that just handing it to certain classes is not right.

I would prefer class-defining 'iconic' abilities to not be a single, enormously impactful skill, but more from the flavour of their suite of skills.

In EQ, for example, the Monk 'iconic' ability Feign Death doomed you to constant and often thankless exhaustion.  The Druid 'iconic' abilities, teleportation and Spirit of Wolf was a constant source of income and ease of travel.

Sorry if that seems negative...  Perhaps these skills *could* be kept but be more widely spread to avoid frustrations?

This is what leads to homogenization of classes. Let's give everyone heals while were at it. Ohh and there is no teir 1 dps.. every one can dps equally.

• 2756 posts
    February 15, 2018 7:47 AM PST

Maximis said:

disposalist said:

This is what leads to homogenization of classes. Let's give everyone heals while were at it. Ohh and there is no teir 1 dps.. every one can dps equally.

Yes, that's exactly what I was asking for *rolls eyes* That's not an over-reaction at all.  What I've suggested is exactly like giving everyone heals.

Actually, everyone *does* 'have heals' since everyone can regenerate health at some rate.  Also, traditionally Clerics, Druids, Paladins and Shamans have heals, but that's ok and four classes having teleports isn't?

How about we discuss these ideas without knee-jerk overaction?  Suggesting something that isn't like EQ doesn't mean the end of Western Civilisation...

This post was edited by disposalist at February 15, 2018 7:48 AM PST
    • 120 posts
    February 15, 2018 9:39 AM PST

I hope that the iconic abilities are actually new and special, not just re-naming old-school class defining abilities, like a rogue's sneak, or an enchanter's CC, or a monk's feign death. Otherwise we should just call this thread: "List class defining abilities from EQ1 and pretend we just made them up".

I liked the priest's pillar shield because it wasn't just re-naming an EQ1 or some other MMO's concept. It contributed unique strategic value to fights totally aside from heal-rez-buff. It allowed for creativity and new strategies. I get it, if every class had something so game-changing it would be hard to balance everything, but if you are afraid to do the balancing don't call the abilities iconic, because they aren't. They were iconic when they first appeared in EQ1, now they are just old hat.

Because I would hate to be a non-contributor, here are a few abilities I haven't seen in other MMOs:

Shaman: Pack Leader. For a short duration your pet calls its ethereal wolf pack to help in the fight.

Monk: Burst of Chi. The monk strikes and opponent with all his might, sending them flying backwards. The enemy has the wind knocked out of them (a short CC).

Rogue: Smoke Bomb. The rogue drops a smoke bomb that confuses and suppresses monsters inside its radius, temporarily slowing their movement and attacks.

Death Knight: Will of the Undead. Upon taking fatal damage the Death Knight is temporarily resurrected and empowered.

Warrior: Shield the Weak. The warrior temporarily becomes a barrier, causing players in a cone behind him to take less damage from mobs in front of him.

Enchanter: Enchant Weapon. The enchanter temporarily empowers a weapon, granting it additional stats and damage.

Summoner: The summoner calls forth a barrier of rock in a large circle around him, temporarily separating everything within from everything without.

Paladin: Sanctify. The paladin sanctifies a small area, partially neutralizing climates and granting increased health and mana regen.

Wizard: Overload. The wizard begins to overload, channeling a powerful blast equal to the difference between their current mana and total mana. After overload goes off the wizard will be unable to cast for a short time.

I bet a few of those have already appeared in other MMO's, but you get the idea. Give us something new we can use strategically or just don't bother calling them iconic.

• 1860 posts
    February 15, 2018 10:11 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

the Colored Mana Specialization System...and that system seems to have been scratched unfortunately, though I loved the concept.

Has it been scratched?  I just figured it was something that was only viable at high lvl and that was why we hadn't seen much about it. 

Why do you think it was scrapped?

• 89 posts
    February 15, 2018 10:26 AM PST

philo said:

Shucklighter said:

the Colored Mana Specialization System...and that system seems to have been scratched unfortunately, though I loved the concept.

Has it been scratched?  I just figured it was something that was only viable at high lvl and that was why we hadn't seen much about it. 

Somebody said the same thing to me before, too, but the Shield thing is still on the Cleric official page, and some guy named Philo was recently in the newsletter talking about colored mana so I doubt they would have put that in there if it were no longer a thing

• 780 posts
    February 15, 2018 10:41 AM PST

philo said:

Well, the discussion on the Colored Mana Specialization System was from February of 2015.  With that, you had special abilities that would use one of two colors of mana (for Clerics it was grey and gold, I believe).  You would equip armor that would generate the color of mana needed for the abilities you wanted to use, and you had to obtain the abilities first, of course.  I believe this started at Level 25 and choosing one path did not exclude you from the other path.  You specialized your character by which abilities you had memorized and by which armor you had equipped.  The Pillar Shield was the ultimate ability of the Cleric grey mana, I believe.  In this discussion they also mentioned that each class used a certain color of mana as a base resource (for example, Warriors and Rogues used red mana by default).

By the March 2016 stream Colored Mana has changed to something you collect in specific relics from specific mana climates.  Using different colors of mana would add effects to certain spells and abilities...and I believe this is the last we saw of Colored Mana, nearly two years ago.  Also, melee characters are using stamina as a base resource at this point, rather than any color of mana as was discussed the year prior.  All streams from that point on featured melee using stamina, I believe.

So, those are some reasons I think that specialization system has been scrapped.  I hope I'm wrong, since I love the idea of that system, but it doesn't seem likely.  Of course, just because that system may have been scrapped does not necessarily mean the Pillar Shield was scrapped.  I was just wondering.

EDIT:  @Preechr...I mean, Philo said, "I'm also interested in the Colored Mana System."  I doubt they're going to say, "Hey man, we scratched that.  Pick something else."  They don't release information that easily.  He said he's interested in it, and there's no reason for them not to publish that.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 15, 2018 10:46 AM PST
    • 15 posts
    February 15, 2018 10:41 AM PST

I think iconic abilities sounds great at 25:ish if the max level is 50. Thats like a halfway milestone for you're character of reaching something special. For the skills themself I really wanna see something that fits the class, and is really unique to each one. Maybe you could implement somekind of mini questline for each class to get this ability? Id also prefer them not being say, 30 min cooldowns or so, since those long CD:s really are tidious and some peoples only have about 1-2h gametime per day.

• 769 posts
    February 15, 2018 11:15 AM PST

Kaen said:

One thing I would love to see for the paladin would be an ability whereby activating it allows them to heal the group for a percentage of the damage they deal for 15-20  seconds (or whatever). Maybe with a 10-15 min cooldown or something. (This also heals the paladin.)

For example:
    YOU activate Angelic Fervor.
    YOU deal 60 damage to X.
    YOU heal your group for 20 health.
    YOU deal 75 damage to x.
    YOU heal your group for 25 health.
    Etc...

Stack this with a haste item and haste buff...  :D

This, right here - that's what I'm talking about. Even better, make these types of abilities the primary way for paladins to gain aggro - through heals. This kind of out-of-the-box tank thinking is what I'm really salivating for, and I hope VR pulls through. 

• 1860 posts
    February 15, 2018 11:32 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

philo said:

Well, the discussion on the Colored Mana Specialization System was from February of 2015.  With that, you had special abilities that would use one of two colors of mana (for Clerics it was grey and gold, I believe).  You would equip armor that would generate the color of mana needed for the abilities you wanted to use, and you had to obtain the abilities first, of course.  I believe this started at Level 25 and choosing one path did not exclude you from the other path.  You specialized your character by which abilities you had memorized and by which armor you had equipped.  The Pillar Shield was the ultimate ability of the Cleric grey mana, I believe.  In this discussion they also mentioned that each class used a certain color of mana as a base resource (for example, Warriors and Rogues used red mana by default).

By the March 2016 stream Colored Mana has changed to something you collect in specific relics from specific mana climates.  Using different colors of mana would add effects to certain spells and abilities...and I believe this is the last we saw of Colored Mana, nearly two years ago.  Also, melee characters are using stamina as a base resource at this point, rather than any color of mana as was discussed the year prior.  All streams from that point on featured melee using stamina, I believe.

So, those are some reasons I think that specialization system has been scrapped.  I hope I'm wrong, since I love the idea of that system, but it doesn't seem likely.  Of course, just because that system may have been scrapped does not necessarily mean the Pillar Shield was scrapped.  I was just wondering.

EDIT:  @Preechr...I mean, Philo said, "I'm also interested in the Colored Mana System."  I doubt they're going to say, "Hey man, we scratched that.  Pick something else."  They don't release information that easily.  He said he's interested in it, and there's no reason for them not to publish that.

Fair enough.  I'd say that's a fairly well educated assumption.  I'm going to stay positively hopeful on that.  No news is not necessarily bad news.

• 2752 posts
    February 15, 2018 11:44 AM PST

Preechr said:

IIRC, each class gets two mastery paths, and each one has an iconic ability (Wall and probably a mass heal for Clerics) where only one path/ability can be active at a time

Pretty sure that is just speculation unless I missed confirmation somewhere? I know they mentioned monk in particular to have two but not how they are planned to work, if they are limited to one at a time or just stance based etc. 

disposalist said:

It really is homogenization of classes to do things like that. There is nothing wrong with classes having things to be envious over, I'd even say it's enriching. 

Xbachs said:

I hope that the iconic abilities are actually new and special, not just re-naming old-school class defining abilities, like a rogue's sneak, or an enchanter's CC, or a monk's feign death. Otherwise we should just call this thread: "List class defining abilities from EQ1 and pretend we just made them up".

I get it, if every class had something so game-changing it would be hard to balance everything, but if you are afraid to do the balancing don't call the abilities iconic, because they aren't. They were iconic when they first appeared in EQ1, now they are just old hat.

That's what iconic means...Feign Death for monk or backstab for rogue are about as iconic as it gets. 

Making new and special abilities would be atypical/untraditional, the opposite of iconic. 

• 780 posts
    February 15, 2018 11:44 AM PST

philo said:

Fair enough.  I'd say that's a fairly well educated assumption.  I'm going to stay positively hopeful on that.  No news is not necessarily bad news.

For sure.  They definitely could still be working on it in the background and just using a generic health/mana/stamina system as a placeholder.  I think we'll see some form of Colored Mana, even if it's a much simpler system than we originally expected.  I'd love to see that specialization system, but I'm not holding my breath.  Of course, that -would- mean two iconic abilities per class as Disposalist wanted (one for each path).  I just hope they are all things other classes can't do, rather than just new lore/spell effect skins on top of other classes' abilities.

EDIT:  Added quote for clarity.

EDIT 2:  Can someone direct me to the comment about Monks having two paths?  That sounds hopeful.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 15, 2018 11:49 AM PST
    • 2752 posts
    February 15, 2018 11:55 AM PST

Didn't they mention colored mana at some point in the May stream last year? Otherwise I guess the last time was the December 2016 stream.

Shucklighter said:

EDIT 2:  Can someone direct me to the comment about Monks having two paths?  That sounds hopeful.

Bottom of this page: http://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2017_may_intro/

This post was edited by Iksar at February 15, 2018 12:04 PM PST
    • 780 posts
    February 15, 2018 12:08 PM PST

Thanks for the link.  That's definitely encouraging.  Body and Soul.  For the Cleric I think it was Devout and Faithful.  So, maybe that specialization system from 2015 really -is- still alive and it's just something that won't go in until we're much further along.  I think it's more likely that the two-path system has been separated from the Colored Mana system, though.  I guess we shall see.  Either way, I think there's a good chance each path will have its own iconic ability.

• 64 posts
    February 15, 2018 2:41 PM PST

Xbachs said:

I liked the priest's pillar shield because it wasn't just re-naming an EQ1 or some other MMO's concept. It contributed unique strategic value to fights totally aside from heal-rez-buff. It allowed for creativity and new strategies. I get it, if every class had something so game-changing it would be hard to balance everything, but if you are afraid to do the balancing don't call the abilities iconic, because they aren't. They were iconic when they first appeared in EQ1, now they are just old hat.

Because I would hate to be a non-contributor, here are a few abilities I haven't seen in other MMOs:

Shaman: Pack Leader. For a short duration your pet calls its ethereal wolf pack to help in the fight.

Monk: Burst of Chi. The monk strikes and opponent with all his might, sending them flying backwards. The enemy has the wind knocked out of them (a short CC).

Rogue: Smoke Bomb. The rogue drops a smoke bomb that confuses and suppresses monsters inside its radius, temporarily slowing their movement and attacks.

Death Knight: Will of the Undead. Upon taking fatal damage the Death Knight is temporarily resurrected and empowered.

Warrior: Shield the Weak. The warrior temporarily becomes a barrier, causing players in a cone behind him to take less damage from mobs in front of him.

Enchanter: Enchant Weapon. The enchanter temporarily empowers a weapon, granting it additional stats and damage.

Summoner: The summoner calls forth a barrier of rock in a large circle around him, temporarily separating everything within from everything without.

Paladin: Sanctify. The paladin sanctifies a small area, partially neutralizing climates and granting increased health and mana regen.

Wizard: Overload. The wizard begins to overload, channeling a powerful blast equal to the difference between their current mana and total mana. After overload goes off the wizard will be unable to cast for a short time.

I bet a few of those have already appeared in other MMO's, but you get the idea. Give us something new we can use strategically or just don't bother calling them iconic.

I think it's important to differentiate between "role defining" and "iconic". 

For example, Harm Touch was iconic, but not role defining. The SK's role was MT, and that role was shared with Paladin and Warrior.

Feign Death was iconic AND role defining. The Monk's role was pulling, and nobody else could perform that role nearly as well.

Several classes should be able to fill a particular role, so role defining skills should be shared by multiple classes.

Iconic skills should be specific to a single class, and should not define the role of that class. 

This post was edited by nscheffel at February 15, 2018 2:42 PM PST
    • 3237 posts
    February 15, 2018 3:07 PM PST

Here are some examples  --  (Some traditional, some new, some a mix of both):

Direlord:  Harm Tap  --  Massive damage attack that also heals for a percentage of damage done.  (This would probably be insane for PVP but thankfully we don't have to worry about balancing those kind of issues into PVE.)

Druid:  Stormcaller  --  Allows the druid to manipulate the weather in a given area.  (This could fulfill both offensive and defensive purposes.)

Enchanter:  Charm  --  Allows the enchanter to charm an NPC, temporarily taking control of it.  (Would like to see this spell improved by making it more predictable when this spell might break.)

Paladin:  Lay on Hands  --  Massive heal to a single player with the option to split it equally amongst the group.

Ranger:  Trueshot  --  Allows the ranger to fire a single shot that can shoot through walls.  This shot does not trigger proximity aggro.

Summoner:  Call of the Hero  --  Summon another player (in the same zone) to the summoner.  (This spell requires a rare or expensive reagent.)

Warrior:  Impenetrable  --  Allows the warrior to absorb the next two attacks that would hit for more than 20% of their max HP.

Wizard:  Teleport  --  Allows the wizard to open a teleportation portal that other players can pass through.  (In order to utilize this, players must be attuned to the teleportation spire that is associated with the portal.)

• 89 posts
    • 89 posts
    February 15, 2018 6:55 PM PST

So, Kilsin, are Paths of Focus/Mastery and Colored Mana still on the table?

• 89 posts
    February 15, 2018 7:21 PM PST

oneADseven said:

Here are some examples  --  (Some traditional, some new, some a mix of both):

Direlord:  Harm Tap  --  Massive damage attack that also heals for a percentage of damage done.  (This would probably be insane for PVP but thankfully we don't have to worry about balancing those kind of issues into PVE.)

Druid:  Stormcaller  --  Allows the druid to manipulate the weather in a given area.  (This could fulfill both offensive and defensive purposes.)

Enchanter:  Charm  --  Allows the enchanter to charm an NPC, temporarily taking control of it.  (Would like to see this spell improved by making it more predictable when this spell might break.)

Paladin:  Lay on Hands  --  Massive heal to a single player with the option to split it equally amongst the group.

Ranger:  Trueshot  --  Allows the ranger to fire a single shot that can shoot through walls.  This shot does not trigger proximity aggro.

Summoner:  Call of the Hero  --  Summon another player (in the same zone) to the summoner.  (This spell requires a rare or expensive reagent.)

Warrior:  Impenetrable  --  Allows the warrior to absorb the next two attacks that would hit for more than 20% of their max HP.

Wizard:  Teleport  --  Allows the wizard to open a teleportation portal that other players can pass through.  (In order to utilize this, players must be attuned to the teleportation spire that is associated with the portal.)

Ok so who gets to directly apply or negate specific area affects that require acclimation?

This post was edited by Preechr at February 15, 2018 7:22 PM PST