Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How strict do we want racial starting cities?

• 123 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:27 PM PST

Do we want only a specific race to select each starting city ala EQ (Ogre for Ogre, Dwarf for Dwarf, etc)?  Or would having a selection of cities to start from (Lore appropriate) be ideal (Dwarfs being able to start in Freeport as an example)?

I am torn on this and wonder what other peoples opinions are.

If it does not break lore would it be a bad thing to give more options to start from (No Ogre's starting in the Halfling village)?  Or does race specific starting areas help create the world?

• 556 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:33 PM PST

They already plan for each race to have their own hometown.

• 3237 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:36 PM PST

I like the idea of each race starting in their own city.  When I first start playing I think it would be ideal if I was mostly surrounded by players of the same race.  The exception would be players of other races that manage to travel to my city.  I think the world feels more alive when you see a Dark Myr for the first time.  Or in some cases, the first time you see an enchanter, rogue, cleric, paladin, etc.

As far as races being able to start in other areas outside their capital city, I think progeny could come into play with that idea.  Maybe an Ogre can now start off in another city depending on the faction that their parent character had.  This would reinforce the prestige effect that I think progeny is designed to encompass.  It's also possible that new class / race combinations could come into fruition and progeny could be a feature that allows this to happen in a way that could remain aligned with the lore of the world.

Now, you get to relive the experience of seeing your first Ogre, or Bard, but it's expanded upon with the notion that you can see your first "Ogre Bard."  This is nothing more than speculation at this point.  There has been no indication revealed that I am aware of that suggests that something like this will come into play.  I do believe, however, that the idea is at the very least being entertained.  In my opinion, it would add value to the prestige aspect of progeny.  There are definitely players out there who want to play an Elf Paladin  --  maybe they will have that opportunity!

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 2, 2018 12:47 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:41 PM PST

Enitzu said:

While this is true, don't forget the role that the "sanctums" may play in this.  I'm not sure that we've yet had a cut and dry answer from VR as to whether or not we will have the option to start in our faction's sanctum in addition to our races capital.

• 363 posts
    February 2, 2018 2:13 PM PST

oneADseven said:

As far as races being able to start in other areas outside their capital city, I think progeny could come into play with that idea.  Maybe an Ogre can now start off in another city depending on the faction that their parent character had.  This would reinforce the prestige effect that I think progeny is designed to encompass.  It's also possible that new class / race combinations could come into fruition and progeny could be a feature that allows this to happen in a way that could remain aligned with the lore of the world.

Now, you get to relive the experience of seeing your first Ogre, or Bard, but it's expanded upon with the notion that you can see your first "Ogre Bard."  This is nothing more than speculation at this point.  There has been no indication revealed that I am aware of that suggests that something like this will come into play.  I do believe, however, that the idea is at the very least being entertained.  In my opinion, it would add value to the prestige aspect of progeny.  There are definitely players out there who want to play an Elf Paladin  --  maybe they will have that opportunity!

I really like this idea!

• 3 posts
    February 2, 2018 2:46 PM PST

I was a Qeynos monk in Everquest I. I heard about Freeport for sometime when I was a baby monk but it was a dangerous road to get there. So that was a big acheivement for me to finaly get there. When I look back now this might have had a secondary boon having everyone spread out a bit to for lag, more oppurtunity to find a group in your area, less area's in a dungeon allready camped, less trains and i can go on and on.

• 319 posts
    February 2, 2018 4:03 PM PST

I beleive you should have a choice of starting cities. Maybe not all the cities for everyone but good races have a choice of 2-4 good race cities and evil races the same number for evil race cities.If you restrict the races to thier actual racial city then they will certainly find a way to travel to thier favorite stomping ground. But this adds to the frustration oflooking for ports etc. Binds. And death runs for your corpse if you don't make it thier.

It also makes for finding your friends a bit easier and may just make a better diversity of races in groups.

• 2752 posts
    • 1404 posts
    February 2, 2018 6:49 PM PST

Isaya said:

I beleive you should have a choice of starting cities. Maybe not all the cities for everyone but good races have a choice of 2-4 good race cities and evil races the same number for evil race cities.If you restrict the races to thier actual racial city then they will certainly find a way to travel to thier favorite stomping ground. But this adds to the frustration oflooking for ports etc. Binds. And death runs for your corpse if you don't make it thier.

It also makes for finding your friends a bit easier and may just make a better diversity of races in groups.

You had me on the same opinion right up to the yellow (a "little" crossing over wouldn't be bad.) then you just canged my mind. For all the reasons you just listed I now think Racial Cities should be strictly enforced. No hand holding! No caving in because a player would have to look for other players for help (ports or binds or death runs for corpses) or it would "be easier". Your reasoning just described a hand holding game where an individual player is self supporting.

No thank you I'll pass. Give me rigid starting cities any day over that.

This post was edited by Zorkon at February 2, 2018 6:52 PM PST
    • 123 posts
    February 2, 2018 7:13 PM PST

Iksar said:

Hello and welcome, you might enjoy a look through these threads about this topic:

Thanks for the links to other threads Iksar!

• 287 posts
    February 2, 2018 8:16 PM PST
    Strict racial cities for me.
    • 1281 posts
    February 2, 2018 10:14 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Enitzu said:

While this is true, don't forget the role that the "sanctums" may play in this.  I'm not sure that we've yet had a cut and dry answer from VR as to whether or not we will have the option to start in our faction's sanctum in addition to our races capital.

I believe the sanctums plan was back with the old version of Pantheon (pre-mid 2015) when they were not going to have unique cities for each race. There were going to be 3 sanctums and the races split amongst them. Now the plan is to have seperate starting cities.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at February 2, 2018 10:14 PM PST
    • 595 posts
    February 3, 2018 10:55 AM PST

bigdogchris said:

Nikademis said:

Enitzu said:

I believe the sanctums plan was back with the old version of Pantheon (pre-mid 2015) when they were not going to have unique cities for each race. There were going to be 3 sanctums and the races split amongst them. Now the plan is to have seperate starting cities.

You are correct about the starting cities, but I guess I wasn't sure if they had decided to scrap the sanctums as a result.  Does anyone know? 

Mechanically speaking, the sanctums were to act as an intermediary for players of the same faction to meet, and potentially as a starting area.  But I think there's still plenty of space for the sanctums to act as important strategic strongholds and centers of commerce for the factions even with the inclusion of starting cities for each race.  Let's also not forget that the sanctums, whatever they're actual in-game function, are an integral part of the lore and story of Terminus.  

• 557 posts
    February 3, 2018 11:35 AM PST

The problem I see with tying starting cities to the progeny system is that it that it completely disregards the new player.  It's the new player who is most likely trying out Pantheon with his buddies and they're going to want to get together.   I'd rather see restrictions left in place.   If you're experienced enough to have progeny you know all the tricks, the dangerous paths and have friends who can assist you with travel to hook up with your friends.

Since Pantheon is going to be such a social game, we just have to build a culture where new players feel comfortable asking for help.   If you see a new player who is looking to travel to Thronefast, what a great opportunity to do a little mentoring, help them out getting safely to their destination and perhaps make a new friend along the way.

• 3237 posts
    February 3, 2018 12:37 PM PST

Celandor said:

The problem I see with tying starting cities to the progeny system is that it that it completely disregards the new player.  It's the new player who is most likely trying out Pantheon with his buddies and they're going to want to get together.   I'd rather see restrictions left in place.   If you're experienced enough to have progeny you know all the tricks, the dangerous paths and have friends who can assist you with travel to hook up with your friends.

Since Pantheon is going to be such a social game, we just have to build a culture where new players feel comfortable asking for help.   If you see a new player who is looking to travel to Thronefast, what a great opportunity to do a little mentoring, help them out getting safely to their destination and perhaps make a new friend along the way.

Any benefit associated with progeny should be disregarding the new player.  It's a feature that is designed to add prestige to the veteran players.  Let's say a veteran player talks a new friend of his into starting the game.  The veteran player is at the point where he can re-roll through progeny and thus has more options on what city he can start his next character in.  A part of the appeal for progeny, to me, is the idea of experiencing level appropriate content that may not have been viable on my initial run.  If my first character is an Ogre, I don't think it's fair to assume that I automatically know all of the tricks or dangerous paths associated with Syronai's Rest.  Allowing my Ogre to start there gives me the ability to experience the world like a new player would in the sense that this starting city and all of it's early content is for the most part unknown to me.  I may know some of the more general tricks of the trade but I like to think that starting in a new city will still provide a learning experience and sense of adventure and exploration.  It's difficult to speculate what kind of restrictions will be placed on progeny.  Will we be able to switch race or class?  Is it possible to mix races?  Is it possible to create new race/class combination?  Plenty of things to think about but easing up the restrictions a bit could be a form of horizontal progression and I think that's a cool opportunity to potentially associate with a feature like progeny.

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 3, 2018 12:44 PM PST
    • 294 posts
    February 3, 2018 2:04 PM PST

I think a dwarf starting area should be all dwarves but, I do agree with the progeny idea. Say a pair of halflings gain a status of excellence among said dwarves, then it is not an issue that their children can start off in a dwarven city/starting zone.