Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Ohh I just had a flashback

• 14 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:30 PM PST

From the Old EQ days ... hopefully Pantheon will work it out better ... 

Remember when trying to level up a regular skill like swimming? You had to basically do it for hours just to get it to level to a point it was useful ... I remember going to a pool area and swimming into a wall and put it on auto (run) swim and have to walk away, after coming back a couple hours later I was either auto logged out or my skill level barely creeped up, it was rather painful  ... but definitely fond (ish) memories

• 1095 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:34 PM PST

That was the lack of reason for people to swim. I personally like to explore the moats and stuff in a city. Plus LIZZARD...

• 14 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:50 PM PST
    Ah yes that's right, the Iksar had the swimming ability from the beginning, was great for getting around in water areas and exploring
    • 2752 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:53 PM PST

I'd bet if it were done today swimming would drain more endurance and players would drown at a certain point so no auto-run leveling while you sleep. 

• 1404 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:55 PM PST

Zeem said:

That was the lack of reason for people to swim. I personally like to explore the moats and stuff in a city. Plus LIZZARD...

Yes, or opportunity. As a High Elf Wizard out of Felwith the Wizard guild was surrounded by water. It was easy to avoid but I made it a point to swim across every time.

I found looking for opportunities to skill up as I played minimized the need for the swim in circles AFK method of those that ignored the opportunitys (err, I mean "didn't have time"). I was the one at level 30 with max swimming that made others go swim in circles to catch up.

• 3016 posts
    January 17, 2018 5:57 PM PST

I loved swimming.. would level swimming to cap each level. :)  And Felwithe and its pools of water were a pretty safe place to do that in the newbie levels. :)

• 724 posts
    January 17, 2018 11:27 PM PST

I played a lot in Freeport. When traveling through North Ro on the way to Oasis, I always ran straight to the beach first, and swam down the whole way. All the while hitting the "Sense Heading" hotkey. Kept both skills leveled up quite well! :)

• 793 posts
    January 18, 2018 4:43 AM PST

I leveled my swimming up the natural way, just because I loved to explore the water. Early on it caused me a few deaths as I would stumble upon angry fish (Nektulos Forest River). LOL

IIRC once you got your skill up past like 15 or 20, it would raise much quicker, but those first few points were very slow and tedious.

• 142 posts
    January 18, 2018 6:46 AM PST

I knew of a couple oddball ways to raise Swimming:

-While running through the Swamp you could get a Swimming increase in ankle deep water.

-Running on the frozen rivers of Everfrost could raise your Swimming skill

• 1714 posts
    January 18, 2018 8:44 AM PST

Raiban said:

From the Old EQ days ... hopefully Pantheon will work it out better ... 

Remember when trying to level up a regular skill like swimming? You had to basically do it for hours just to get it to level to a point it was useful ... I remember going to a pool area and swimming into a wall and put it on auto (run) swim and have to walk away, after coming back a couple hours later I was either auto logged out or my skill level barely creeped up, it was rather painful  ... but definitely fond (ish) memories

I'm not certain of how it actually worked under the covers, but some skills, like sense heading, had a non linear increase rate. Perhaps they were based on successful checks and not failed ones which is why it took so long to get started(instill doubt, sense heading, etc). I do not at all recall swimming having that issue. 

• 217 posts
    January 18, 2018 3:47 PM PST

I would swim to Erollisi Island from East Freeport and all around the Ocean of Tears.

• 1714 posts
    January 19, 2018 7:52 AM PST

vigilantee13 said:

I would swim to Erollisi Island from East Freeport and all around the Ocean of Tears.

I would kill sisters and sell purity belts. 

• 3016 posts
    January 19, 2018 11:20 AM PST

Fulton said:

I leveled my swimming up the natural way, just because I loved to explore the water. Early on it caused me a few deaths as I would stumble upon angry fish (Nektulos Forest River). LOL

IIRC once you got your skill up past like 15 or 20, it would raise much quicker, but those first few points were very slow and tedious.

I fell victim to a few piranhha in a pool in SureFall Glade.    I can just imagine what reaction that would get from certain gamers that are used to those easy mode games.  hehehe  Or how about falling into lava..trying to swim out..and dying that horrible gurgling burning death...

• 696 posts
    January 22, 2018 12:48 PM PST

That's soo funny. I got my swimming up out of bordem. I use to play a paladin back in 2000, so the obvious spot I would hit up would be Unrest. The pain of Unrest was the swim to the island in the middle of Dragnors Cauldron. So when I was a kid and played with my dad, who was also a paladin, I would swim in the fountain at the entrance in Unrest and level up my swimming when we were putting a group together. Everyone looked at me weirdly and my dad would say that he is my son and is 9 lol. I got it to around 250 when I was like level 28 and when we would go sell I would be this olympic swimmer while my dad fell behind quiet signifcantly. Lets just say alot of people in Unrest joined me in the fountain after making my mark on every group when we would all go sell together by swimming to the island and I would be selling my stuff while they were still swimming.

This post was edited by Watemper at January 22, 2018 12:50 PM PST
    • 1785 posts
    January 22, 2018 3:27 PM PST

In EQ, I credited my high swimming skill to getting drunk and falling off the boat in the Ocean of Tears one day :)

And later, lots of runs into Kedge Keep.

• 363 posts
    January 22, 2018 3:31 PM PST

I raised my swimming skill at the South Karana bridge!