Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A Zone Where You Get Eaten

• 60 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:05 PM PST

Thinking back to the story of Pinocchio where he is swollowed by a whale, I would like to see a zone where a huge monster swallows the player whole, rather than killing them.  For example, you enter a giant ice cave and there is a huge dragon's upper body that has gotten stuck in the ice.  Players that get too close get swallowed whole and enter the dragon's body where it is a dungeon of its own.  When you enter the zone, you fight doomed and mythical creatures that were also swallowed as you fight your way through the dragon's body and organs.  In order to leave, you need to port, die, or fight your way out... through the other end.  There could be a quest, "In the Belly of Beast," where an Ogre's pet kitten ran off and was swallowed and asks you to rescue it.  Players that get killed in the belly have their corpses teleported after a couple of minutes outside where you can see the dragon's tail frozen in ice.   When players get to a higher level, there could be an event where the dragon escapes from the ice and the raid has to kill it.

• 3237 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:29 PM PST

Breath of Fire 2 had a pretty memorable dungeon where you were inside of a whale and had to help purge a nasty curse from inside of it.  FF3 (6) also had an area where you had to let a landworm devour your group, but rather than dying, you would enter the under-world where you could unlock a special character.  Both of these zones have always stuck out as "extra cool" with me, so I definitely appreciate you sharing your idea!

• 1095 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:30 PM PST

Gears of War has an area like this, you had to chainsaw and fight your way out.

• 1714 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:40 PM PST

I'm sure there will be multiple themes for dungeons. Effectively you're describing some kind of one way ticket dungeon where once you enter the only way out is to "complete it". It has nothing really to do with the graphic of a dragon or the look of the dungeon, because they will all be themed in a way, but a type of gameplay that is different from many dungeons that you can turn around and leave or port out whenever you want. I like the high level idea in that respect, but I don't think there's much value at this point in noodling on "it should be a sea monster". They should have dungeons and zones that provide a different experience and require a different style to be successful. If that dungeon is red or blue or pink it doesn't matter compared to the actual flow and mechanic. 

• 26 posts
    November 30, 2017 2:12 PM PST
    Saga frontier had an area like this. Giant flying monster swallowed giant flying ship. Lots of slime, sludge, gasses, and organ valve portals. Eventually fighting the heart to kill the monster. Was my least favorite area of the game because you were trapped there until you finished it. Not against something like it at all though, as long as it is designed well. Risk vs reward, and all that jazz.
    • 98 posts
    November 30, 2017 2:19 PM PST

What if you're out on a boat and then you get swallowed by a giant sea monster! And then of course you take damage from being chewed, so you land in this dungeon at half health, and the digestive juices are slowly killing you and if you don't get out in time, you die and get pooped out and have a stinky poop debuff for like an hour afterwards so everyone knows you got eaten. Of course the sea monster is super tough even on the inside so your only hope is making it throw up! That means starting a huge fight in its stomach with all the other stuff it's swallowed! Only the strongest survive and the rest are digested!

Too realistic? Too many potential poop jokes? Hmm...

• 60 posts
    November 30, 2017 2:20 PM PST

Krixus said:

...It has nothing really to do with the graphic of a dragon or the look of the dungeon, because they will all be themed in a way, but a type of gameplay that is different from many dungeons that you can turn around and leave or port out whenever you want...

Except in the example I provided, it does because the dungeon represents the inside of the monster's body. 

• 60 posts
    November 30, 2017 2:21 PM PST

sorn said:

What if you're out on a boat and then you get swallowed by a giant sea monster! And then of course you take damage from being chewed, so you land in this dungeon at half health, and the digestive juices are slowly killing you and if you don't get out in time, you die and get pooped out and have a stinky poop debuff for like an hour afterwards so everyone knows you got eaten. Of course the sea monster is super tough even on the inside so your only hope is making it throw up! That means starting a huge fight in its stomach with all the other stuff it's swallowed! Only the strongest survive and the rest are digested!

Too realistic? Too many potential poop jokes? Hmm...

That is the crappiest idea I have heard, and I cannot think of that sort of encounter in any other MMORPG. I would like to try it!

This post was edited by Hadekin at November 30, 2017 2:23 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    November 30, 2017 2:37 PM PST

metteec said:

There could be a quest, "In the Belly of Beast,"

You have essentially described this quest in DDO lol: http://ddowiki.com/page/In_the_Belly_of_the_Beast

Your party eventually gets swallowed by a giant maneating purple worm and you have to fight your way through it's intestines, encountering other creatures its eaten, living oozes, parasites, etc. all while being sprayed by digestive acid. Was a fun one. Wouldn't mind seeing something similar. Would definitely be a perfect candidate for a Toxic climate in Pantheon.

• 1618 posts
    November 30, 2017 3:29 PM PST

I can't remember the name of the one in Velious for EQ2. You were basically inside a living cave.

Whenever I explained the zone to new players, it got quite graphic with many internal jokes.

This post was edited by Beefcake at November 30, 2017 3:30 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:30 PM PST

A zone where you go to get eaten. I saw the caption and was afraid this was going to be another suggestion that we have Star Wars type cantinas!

• 3237 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:41 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

metteec said:

There could be a quest, "In the Belly of Beast,"

You have essentially described this quest in DDO lol: http://ddowiki.com/page/In_the_Belly_of_the_Beast

Your party eventually gets swallowed by a giant maneating purple worm and you have to fight your way through it's intestines, encountering other creatures its eaten, living oozes, parasites, etc. all while being sprayed by digestive acid. Was a fun one. Wouldn't mind seeing something similar. Would definitely be a perfect candidate for a Toxic climate in Pantheon.

That's definitely a great idea for a toxic climate!  Reminds me a lot of the whale from Breath of Fire 2.

• 2419 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:48 PM PST

Planes of Power expansion in the Plane of Torment (I think) there was a raid where you had to travel inside the bowels of some monster to defeat some raid event inside of it.  It was quite fun.

• 1785 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:57 PM PST

I'm ambivalent about getting swallowed - it's been done in many games, though not too many MMOs.  But I'd love to see something like where you're on a boat at sea, and a storm comes up, and you get washed overboard and wind up... somewhere you weren't expecting :)

• 190 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:47 PM PST

There's a raid encounter in EQ2, Chelsith, where someone (or many, one at a time) have to get eaten by a mob to plant bombs it its belly to bring down the damage reduction buff it has on itself. It was an interesting thing being swallowed, planting as many bombs as your cast speed would allow and then getting spewed back out.