Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Expiring NPC Corpses

• 115 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:25 AM PST

On the game "disposing" of NPC corpses:

When NPC corpses are about to expire (ie: Rot), it would be neat to have them sink into the ground....... instead of just instantly disappearing out of existence right before you eyes.

• 303 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:30 AM PST

Absolutely 100% agree. This has been a thing in RTS games since forever. I've yet to see it in an MMO to this day :(

• 21 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:35 AM PST

I'd like to see that, i'd also like to see a different color nameplate for a dead mob rather than " 's corpse" at the end

Now that I think of it more though it would be strange if you are on floor one and people on floor 2 are killing things and you keep seeing the corpses fall through the ceiling. Maybee if they just... flattened?

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 1, 2017 1:06 AM PST
    • 26 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:43 AM PST

Rather than just fading away, perhaps they could change from a corpse to a fly/magot infested pile to a pile of bones to *poof*?

• 1281 posts
    November 30, 2017 8:16 AM PST

I like the sinking idea. Seems pretty neat and should be simple to do. I agree it would be better than just disappearing.

• 3016 posts
    November 30, 2017 10:59 AM PST

Bonechip said:

On the game "disposing" of NPC corpses:

When NPC corpses are about to expire (ie: Rot), it would be neat to have them sink into the ground....... instead of just instantly disappearing out of existence right before you eyes.

I like that idea :)

• 2752 posts
    November 30, 2017 11:23 AM PST

I'd like to see a timer of sorts added. Something like using the mobs name as a loading bar type timer, for example something like:

"a gnoll's corpse

"a gnoll's corpse

"a gnoll's corpse

The "timer" changing color (whatever colors) at the point in which the corpse's loot lock ends and becomes open loot to anyone. You could add a small pulse in the last handful of seconds before the corpse expires, consistant with how buffs tend to flash when the duration is nearly finished. 

• 115 posts
    November 30, 2017 11:51 AM PST

Iksar said:

I'd like to see a timer of sorts added. Something like using the mobs name as a loading bar type timer, for example something like:

"a gnoll's corpse

"a gnoll's corpse

"a gnoll's corpse

The "timer" changing color (whatever colors) at the point in which the corpse's loot lock ends and becomes open loot to anyone. You could add a small pulse in the last handful of seconds before the corpse expires, consistant with how buffs tend to flash when the duration is nearly finished. 

Great idea.

• 60 posts
    November 30, 2017 12:51 PM PST

I like the visual progression of corpses idea that Metman presented.  The corpse starts as the NPC on the ground.  It progresses to skeletal remains after a few minutes.  When there is about a minute remaining, the skeleton turns into a pile of ashes.  The ashes would blow into the wind after the timer expires.  This would require a couple of models that could be reused as unique monsters:

- skeletal animals: cat, dog, bat, rat, etc. 

- a skeletal gnoll

- a skeletal dragon

The skeleton and ashes would get bigger or smaller depending on the size of the creature. 

• 2886 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:05 PM PST

I like the idea of there being stages to the decomposition process. With of course there being an option to turn it off. I'd say the same general principles could be applied to PC corpses as well.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 30, 2017 1:05 PM PST
    • 118 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:09 PM PST
    I am into this decomposition timer idea as well. Visual cues are always nice.
    • 334 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:14 PM PST

Then I want to be able to dig one up. (shovel required)
    Have a ranger, foraging druid, pig or maggot sniffing device to locate one and strip it of decayed types of loot.

Edit: typo

This post was edited by Rydan at November 30, 2017 1:14 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:24 PM PST

metteec said:

I like the visual progression of corpses idea that Metman presented.  The corpse starts as the NPC on the ground.  It progresses to skeletal remains after a few minutes.  When there is about a minute remaining, the skeleton turns into a pile of ashes.  The ashes would blow into the wind after the timer expires.  This would require a couple of models that could be reused as unique monsters:

- skeletal animals: cat, dog, bat, rat, etc. 

- a skeletal gnoll

- a skeletal dragon

The skeleton and ashes would get bigger or smaller depending on the size of the creature. 

In theory I think it's a decent idea (not sure how taxing that would be on the server, keeping track of all the mobs and running the decompose function vs calling a static corpse model) though it would a require considerable amount of extra art assests, but how would this work out?

How would this system work for mobs that are already skeletons or undead/ghosts? How about for heavily armored mobs with no visable flesh? Constructs/Golems/Elementals and other non-skeletal or bloodless creatures? I think this would create an inconsistent system/method of measuring a corpses "timer" with a glance. Unless this is meant purely as a role-playing thing?

This post was edited by Iksar at November 30, 2017 1:25 PM PST
    • 1714 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:45 PM PST

More loading screen, zone theme, animation fluff that can be tacked on but shouldn't be done at the literal expense $$$ of other more important gameplay factors. We're so obsessed with the "nice to haves" these days. Maybe it's because we've bashed all the other meaningful topics into the ground. Alright I'm done. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at November 30, 2017 1:45 PM PST
    • 316 posts
    November 30, 2017 2:39 PM PST

I must agree with Krixus - this seems like a very small change. A corpse quickly sinking away and disappearing as opposed to a corpse just disappearing? Would the difference be about 1 second of an animation? Seems like such a thing wouldn't change performance very much, so if it'd make corpse rot less jarring, then ok, cool - but seems like the tax of adding cosmetic stages of decomposition wouldn't be worth the added immersion.

If everyone would rather see the corpse sink quickly instead of disappear, not a big deal. But honestly, I've found that "smooth, even sink into the ground" thing a bit immersion-breaking. For some reason, perhaps more so than instantly disappearing corpses. I may be in the minority for that one. But righto, nice new topic idea =P

This post was edited by Alexander at November 30, 2017 2:41 PM PST
    • 2138 posts
    November 30, 2017 8:16 PM PST

Rydan said:

Then I want to be able to dig one up. (shovel required)
    Have a ranger, foraging druid, pig or maggot sniffing device to locate one and strip it of decayed types of loot.

Edit: typo

I want to go crazy and add: For decayed zombie skin you need to hire a skin sniffing pig in town where it would follow you and you would have to keep it from danger without it dieing along the way. Then when in zone, allowing it to go free to sniff out skins where you would have to then follow IT and protect it. The reason you would do it is to get decaying zombie skins faster for crafting needs.

SO if in a guild with various leveled members, the higher levels can go into a raid situation and start clearing to the boss, and when they have moved on the lower leveled guild members can come in with their pigs and root out the skins the raid force left behind. It would be tough for the lowbies in getting there, like a mini raid/travel for the lowbies while having to protect and herd the pigs on the journey. When inside if they got in trouble the higher level guildies could always run back. Sniffing and rooting their way to the main guild force.

The pigs would come with a stick  to allow basic pet commands like move forward, (prod) right, left, that would not always work all the time (the pigs would not listen . randomly)