Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Takes More Time?

• 9115 posts
    November 30, 2017 3:58 AM PST

When creating a character, what is the most important part for you and what part takes you the longest to decide on? #PRF #communitymatters

• 35 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:10 AM PST

Choosing the correct hairstyle is up there. No helmet for the most part at the beginning of MMO’s, you know. 

• 303 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:14 AM PST

Forgetting to turn off f.lux and finding out two days later that my green character is actually blue :(

• 19 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:16 AM PST

My wife doesn't understand my need to play games like this so to get her involved I let her design all my characters looks. It keeps her quiet for 30 minutes or so while she moves all the sliders around a bit until each and every character looks the most rediculous it could possibly be. When I'm playing and she walks by she always has a chuckle...

• 40 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:23 AM PST

Everything!

• 7 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:23 AM PST

The most important part is making sure it's a Gnome.

• 9115 posts
    November 30, 2017 4:31 AM PST

Wizarmy said:

My wife doesn't understand my need to play games like this so to get her involved I let her design all my characters looks. It keeps her quiet for 30 minutes or so while she moves all the sliders around a bit until each and every character looks the most rediculous it could possibly be. When I'm playing and she walks by she always has a chuckle...

Hahaha, that is awesome! :)

• 319 posts
    November 30, 2017 5:31 AM PST

The face is most important to me. then the hairstyle. I am a male and usually I make my main a female and my second character a male. Bodywise my female is usually the smallest I can get and the male is a bit larger.

I will take about 15 minutes per character after I have checked out most facial features. My wife on the other hand is a lot more thorough than I am and I always ask her opinion before I hit "create"

• 24 posts
    November 30, 2017 5:41 AM PST

Usually Face>>Body type>> Name -- Primarily I want to try to be as unique as possible, I dont want to walk in to the area and be Elf Druid type 03.

• 24 posts
    November 30, 2017 5:50 AM PST

The name.  I can get hung up for days deciding on a name before starting a new game.

• 1095 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:01 AM PST

Usually the hair but I don;t knwo why because always go with long or a braid type, male toon with white hair lol

This post was edited by Aich at November 30, 2017 6:17 AM PST
    • 23 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:10 AM PST

When i create a character i usually hit random until i have something good and then do some minor changes.

I spend a lot more time on the nickname tho.

• 2886 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:12 AM PST

The name, by far. That's the most important thing, it's your identity. Appearances are just cosmetic, plus in most games you can easily adjust it later if you change your mind. The name is a big decision that can't be undone without consequence.

• 60 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:29 AM PST

The boob slider, obviously.

Seriously though, Bazgrim is dead on.  It takes me much longer to select a name that is not already taken but meets my needs (as short as possible, but clever).  Hopefully, Pantheon will have live updates of character names so that you can tell whether your character name is taken without having to submit your new character.  In Everquest, you did not know if you character name was taken until you confirmed your character and waited 30-60 seconds depending on server congestion.  

This post was edited by Hadekin at November 30, 2017 6:31 AM PST
    • 51 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:46 AM PST

Assuming that I can use my names(s): body size>hair>face features>eyes

• 2 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:47 AM PST

Everything!!!

It's impossible to decide which part of the creation process is most important to me.....it all is!

• 121 posts
    November 30, 2017 6:49 AM PST
    Most important part is the class then race. Cosmetically, if I don't use my default name then that takes me the longest. I have to create the character and then stare at it until a name comes to me that fits his looks. Otherwise, hair would take the longest since thats the part I have to stare at all the time.
    • 6 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:09 AM PST

I  couldn't say.

Haven't really played a game where I needed to do a full avatar (I still play everquest religiously, and have a set face/eyes for Iksar/Dark Elf.)

I usually just randomize the looks, but I do sit and contemplate on class/race selection, because I normally stick to one character until endgame or necessity arises.

I have to make sure I will enjoy the class, and that the race is aesthetically pleasing, and can do what I plan to do. I won't make the mistake of making an evil race when all my friends are good races like I did back in 1999. 

Also, starting location if an option is equally as important. As my very first character was a wood elf in Everquest from Kelethin, (All hail Kaluven), I will not be starting in a damn tree fort again.

This post was edited by MazeEQ at November 30, 2017 7:10 AM PST
    • 1019 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:14 AM PST

Nothing.  I use the randomize button a few times until I find something thats not too outlandish for my tastes.

However, if a backstory to my character were implimented and affected some skills, stats, or story as to where I start the game.  This would take some time.

• 626 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:34 AM PST

I would say I spend 30% of my time on Character looks/apperance and 70% on the name. For my main I shouldn't have an issue, but for each Alt the struggle will be real. 

• 21 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:42 AM PST

Name easily takes the longest for me. I'll spend less than a minute customizing my looks, and sometimes I don't even bother if its getting covered with armor anyway. The name i don't think of as a first impression that others see of me although I know it is, i just need to like it and i'm picky. many times i get stuck with something i'm not happy with because all my normal ones are taken, but we've all seen that.

• 159 posts
    November 30, 2017 7:45 AM PST

I have a wee pool of unique names that I usually go with in MMOs/RPGs, so usually that's an easy part. Depending on the complexity of the character creation system, I'll spend most of my time around the face. If it's just a dozen or so presets, it's usually a pretty quick process. Games with continuous sliders that give finer control of each feature will usually make me sit there and fiddle with them until the result is JUST right.

• 557 posts
    November 30, 2017 8:03 AM PST

Choosing the name is by far the most time consuming.  When possible I try to be consistent with lore names for my character's race.  If there is a random name button, I will sometimes hit that for inspiration, then choose a modified name which I think suits the race/class and whatever back story I've invented.

If there is a randomize button for appearance, I will usually poke that dozen times or more to get a feel for the possibilities.   Once I get a handle on the variants, I'll pull randoms until it gives me something close to what I want, then I'll spend a fair amount of time tweaking.

For appearance, I hope there are a lot of variants on the facial sliders and some realistic options to represent older characters (besides just a facial model with wrinkles).

• 1281 posts
    November 30, 2017 8:17 AM PST

The longest part to decide on is the name.

• 114 posts
    November 30, 2017 8:29 AM PST

TBH, I would love to be able to choose my name FIRST and get it accepted, and THEN get the other important stuff like character hair and looks etc done.

It irritates me to no end to get the perfect look for my character, but find out that the name that I wanted was not available.