Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Remote Control Features

This topic has been closed.
    • 106 posts
    November 28, 2017 7:57 PM PST

If u consider that we live in a remote control world and that remote control items are the highest selling items on the planet, be it Televisions, smart phones, command start, drones, rc cars, video game consoles, media devices, if it has remote control features everyone wants it. That being said i would like to have the ability to remotely chat in game, remotely view which friends and guildies are online, remote bank and inventory access, Obviously if u use a remote banking feature your character should return to oragin bind. Remote crafting with ingame crafting timebars. Could i remotely rez or buff a friend? Ya nintendo switch is cool but how much cooler would it be to be a part of pantheon remotely while taking the bus rather that just playing angry birds, or gameboy?

• 1019 posts
    November 29, 2017 4:46 AM PST

Haha, I was thinking of making a post exactly like this as I climbing into bed last night and grabbed my phone.  I thought, how much fun it would be to be able to log in and fiddle with the broker, or maybe look at the stats page of my character, or check merchant prices.  Something, some way to stay in the game while I'm not in the game.

• 17 posts
    November 29, 2017 4:57 AM PST

World of Warcraft has the ability to access your bank and auction house and some other features (other features i hope arent put into pantheon(scouting maps and junk)) I always thought that was nice. But being able to remotley play the game from your phone meh...  Being able to actually "play" by remote in my personal opinion sounds harmful. But doing something trivial like accepting your in game mail etc that takes time from actually playing the game would be a plus for me. 

• 563 posts
    November 29, 2017 5:11 AM PST

There are a few post along the topic of a mobile app to access a few things like chat, friends, guild, banking etc.:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2604/mobile-application

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3291/pantheon-app ; (this one is quite large and was asked by Kilsin as a community question)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5074/smart-phone-support

I dont think anyone has asked to play remotely though (like on a switch type device) but I dont see that as even being possible tbh, between slow/spotty wifi and minimal controls on the device I couldn't imagine there would be much you could do on the go.

• 1095 posts
    November 29, 2017 10:31 AM PST

Auction house type things for an offline trader would be cool to manage via a phone app. Inv mangement and auction item searching.

• 1785 posts
    November 29, 2017 10:53 AM PST

I like the idea of an app for being able to chat with friends/guildmates and see what they're accomplishing while you're offline.

I am ambivalent about using an app to manage systems that you would normally set up for offline play.  For example, if you have NPC hirelings that you can send out on missions or tasks, the app could let you manage those.  It's a nice to have, but I'd be ok not having it too.

I am against using an app to manage in-game buying/selling activity, for two reasons.  First, this presumes a centralized market system, rather than local/regional markets, and I strongly believe that local/regional markets are far better for the long-term health of the game's economy, and allow more people to enjoy participating in that economy.  Second, opening an API to allow this sort of thing from an app can lead to serious potential for abuse.  I don't think we want market bots that watch the market and buy everything that drops below a certain price, or instantly undercut all their competitors as soon as a price change is entered (just as examples).  Either way, in order to interact with the game economy, whether that's buying things or setting prices/selling things, I think that a real human being should be logged into the game world on that character.

• 1095 posts
    November 29, 2017 11:43 AM PST

Nephele said:

I like the idea of an app for being able to chat with friends/guildmates and see what they're accomplishing while you're offline.

I am ambivalent about using an app to manage systems that you would normally set up for offline play.  For example, if you have NPC hirelings that you can send out on missions or tasks, the app could let you manage those.  It's a nice to have, but I'd be ok not having it too.

I am against using an app to manage in-game buying/selling activity, for two reasons.  First, this presumes a centralized market system, rather than local/regional markets, and I strongly believe that local/regional markets are far better for the long-term health of the game's economy, and allow more people to enjoy participating in that economy.  Second, opening an API to allow this sort of thing from an app can lead to serious potential for abuse.  I don't think we want market bots that watch the market and buy everything that drops below a certain price, or instantly undercut all their competitors as soon as a price change is entered (just as examples).  Either way, in order to interact with the game economy, whether that's buying things or setting prices/selling things, I think that a real human being should be logged into the game world on that character.

The market for the app would be wherever the character was logged out so whatever region it is would be what the character can see, it don't have to be global.

As far as the API, just because VR has an API for their app don't mean it has to be public and accessable for other 3rd party apps so that concern is a non issue. Also you might be missing a key point is that unless there is a way to remotely buy something from someone without going to there character and seeing as you won't be able to move your character in the app; in essence you can't buy anything but only adjust prices for the things you are selling.

Now if you can buy remotely that makes it a bit more like the stock market. Also if the API was open they can limit the frequency of data calls in a time period if they wanted to prevent real-time prices, again if they wanted to prevent that, I think it would be kinda cool. But I don't see them having remote buying without having to travel to the character selling the item.

This post was edited by Aich at November 29, 2017 11:47 AM PST
    • 334 posts
    • 1019 posts
    November 29, 2017 3:42 PM PST

Zeem said:

Auction house type things for an offline trader would be cool to manage via a phone app. Inv mangement and auction item searching.

Being able to log into chat too would be neat.

I remember EQ2 had this from a website, so I would be at work and get on that website just to watch chat of people in the game.  (I had a illness, I'm not sure it's gone...)

• 1281 posts
    November 29, 2017 5:34 PM PST

Zeem said:

Nephele said:

The market for the app would be wherever the character was logged out so whatever region it is would be what the character can see, it don't have to be global.

As far as the API, just because VR has an API for their app don't mean it has to be public and accessable for other 3rd party apps so that concern is a non issue. Also you might be missing a key point is that unless there is a way to remotely buy something from someone without going to there character and seeing as you won't be able to move your character in the app; in essence you can't buy anything but only adjust prices for the things you are selling.

Now if you can buy remotely that makes it a bit more like the stock market. Also if the API was open they can limit the frequency of data calls in a time period if they wanted to prevent real-time prices, again if they wanted to prevent that, I think it would be kinda cool. But I don't see them having remote buying without having to travel to the character selling the item.

Unfortunately, just because the API isn't published doesn't mean that someone won't reverse engineer it.  It's been done with MUCH MORE complex systems.  A prime example is Samba, which runs in the varios *nix flavors.  It, can literally emulate a Windows Domain Controller.  To the point where it can even be a FSMO role holder.  Samba was 100% reverse engineered from Microsoft Windows with zero access to the underlying Windows code and internal Windows APIs.

If the VR app can be used to do actual things in the came, someone will be able to figure out how to manipulate that in unexpected ways.  I say leave it as a comm system or MAYBE a read-only mode to check your character.

• 160 posts
    November 29, 2017 7:55 PM PST

About the conversation on having a chat program for guildmates: I'm not sure what development cost would be, but is it worth whatever that is against simply asking your guildmates to download one of the many chat programs available to communicate? Kind along the same lines of thinking VR has used towards making in game maps. They'll be available by a third party free of cost to VR.

• 9115 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:07 AM PST

Folks, please use the link provided to continue the discussion in the already existing threads, this topic has been discussed quite a lot, thank you! :)