Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Are there Pre-Alpha 1 "testing goals"?

• 947 posts
    November 28, 2017 12:34 PM PST

I know there are many threads covering Pre-Alpha content, and I hope this isn't a topic that is already being covered - Please send this to the appropriate forum if so.

I know stress testing is typically done in Beta, but I'm curious if there are specific objectives to test that will be announced to the pre-alpha testers.  When I tested for Sony (years ago) we would have clear objectives to find bugs.  Some of the examples would be having a group of people trying specific race/class combinations with specific feature sets trying to break some of the mechanics that an automated system can't do, with another group of users trying to manipulate something like mechanics designed to restrict pathing (like scaling buildings or attackign NPCs from places that they glitch/path awkwardly from).

So to put my Pre-Alpha testing questions into a numeric list:  

1. Will there be testing objectives to meet or will it just be a free-for-all to see how players interact in the gaming environment?

2. What races and classes will be available (understanding that bard/necro are not expected at launch)?

3. What level range is expected in Pre-Alpha 1 (and will there be developer level scaling on certain days?  i.e. Grant all testers level 30 and request playing in certain areas to test balance)?  

~Thanks

• 3016 posts
    November 28, 2017 12:42 PM PST

We will be given the information ..when the time comes.  Keep an eye on your e-mail and make sure any Pantheon related mail doesn't go to junk mail. :)

• 1019 posts
    November 28, 2017 12:56 PM PST

Pre-Alpha patch notes?  I would read the crap out of those...hehe.

• 781 posts
    November 28, 2017 2:16 PM PST

1:  Yes, the dev's will be giving clear objectives on what to test, how to test, who to test, etc..

2:  I am not certain on this but I understand that we will be told which race to test as per dev's request

3:  again, this goes back to the dev's giving clear objectives on testing goals, xp gained, xp loss, how fast one levels, etc.  

There will be a Tester guide coming out that the dev team is currently putting together that will break down all information for us closer to when Testing will begin so I would keep an eye out for that as well as the NDA's.  If you are VIP there is a Forum Topic on this as well. * cheers

This post was edited by Kelem at November 28, 2017 2:17 PM PST
    • 1095 posts
    November 29, 2017 10:33 AM PST

I hope they let eveyone see the goals, I am curious what will be tested being a non-VIP.

• 1281 posts
    November 29, 2017 12:40 PM PST

Darch said:

1. Will there be testing objectives to meet or will it just be a free-for-all to see how players interact in the gaming environment?

2. What races and classes will be available (understanding that bard/necro are not expected at launch)?

3. What level range is expected in Pre-Alpha 1 (and will there be developer level scaling on certain days?  i.e. Grant all testers level 30 and request playing in certain areas to test balance)?  

From what I picked up in the few streams and threads:

1) Pre-alpha testing will be completely anti free-for-all. There will be very specific task assigned to players. It is not early access and players found diverging from assigned task may have their access revoked.

2)Races: No word yet on that, but as of now races seem to only be cosmetic and there is only one known starting city anyways. Until racial based abilities are added (likely much later in development) I do not think race access will matter. Though I expect every race to be available in pre-alpha -for whatever that means to the game.

Classes: It was said players will be asked to test specific classes at a certain time. They said that there will be consideration so that there are not just all clerics or all warriors running around. So you should be able to test each class at different assigned times. What specific classes are available, well I am guessing the ones we have seen up until now: Warrior, Monk, Cleric, Shaman, Rogue, Wizard, and Enchanter.

3)They have said players will be testing different level ranges. I imagine that means they will be given the ability to use a command and auto level to where they are needed. It's also possible (this plays into the race/class question) that characters will be automatically generated for players to use. For example, they may say week 1 you will be generated a level 10 character of each class, week 2 a level 20 of each class etc, then assigned days to play that class on at in what zone, etc.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at November 30, 2017 8:15 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 30, 2017 1:04 AM PST

Zeem said:

I hope they let eveyone see the goals, I am curious what will be tested being a non-VIP.

That is not an option, unfortunately, man, pre-alpha will be under strict NDA guidelines meaning neither the testers of the team will be discussing it publically, it will all be discussed in the pre-alpha forum which only those who have signed an NDA and have pre-alpha access will be able to see/read/write in, including all VIPs and a bunch of early Champion pledges.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at November 30, 2017 1:04 AM PST
    • 1404 posts
    November 30, 2017 5:34 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Zeem said:

That is not an option, unfortunately, man, pre-alpha will be under strict NDA guidelines meaning neither the testers of the team will be discussing it publically, it will all be discussed in the pre-alpha forum which only those who have signed an NDA and have pre-alpha access will be able to see/read/write in, including all VIPs and a bunch of early Champion pledges.

Strict enough that it could be happening now and we non pre-alpha folk wouldent even know it?

• 1095 posts
    November 30, 2017 5:39 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Zeem said:

Alright then,

• 1095 posts
    November 30, 2017 5:39 AM PST

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

Zeem said:

Strict enough that it could be happening now and we non pre-alpha folk wouldent even know it?

I though they said they would announce it to everyone when ti starts.

• 3016 posts
    November 30, 2017 8:36 AM PST

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

Zeem said:

NDA means non-disclosure,  and those of us testing have to sign that.   We aren't supposed to talk about it to anyone who is not under that NDA.  

• 1095 posts
    November 30, 2017 8:45 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

Zeem said:

NDA means non-disclosure,  and those of us testing have to sign that.   We aren't supposed to talk about it to anyone who is not under that NDA.  

What I meant was what they were testing, thats all just the testing goals like banking, doors, etc not the progress or anything else but that seems ot be under the NDA also thats cool.

• 3016 posts
    November 30, 2017 9:05 AM PST

Zeem said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

Zeem said:

What I meant was what they were testing, thats all just the testing goals like banking, doors, etc not the progress or anything else but that seems ot be under the NDA also thats cool.

I don't think details like that will be open for discussion, sorry.   Unless the Dev team wants to share news items occasionally. But that's up to them.